Bohemia - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bohemia Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev -39.7%

Bought a 6 pack of bottles for $6.49 at local Mexican Supermarket.
Poored first one into a 16oz mug , drank second one out of the bottle . The packaging was nice and that was about it while not a offensive tasting beer I felt ripped off after drinking the first bottle no head and very flat.If I had a do over I would take High life or Oldstyle over this. (356 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -38.8%

I had the pleasure of having this one from a bottle.

Poured a light to medium golden color with a small white head. Lightly sweet. No real tastes or smells other than the generic Pale Lager/Pilsner profile (straw, grassy and somewhat corny). Thin and watery.

Notes from 11/30/04 (280 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -38.2%

Appearance – This one is light yellow in color with a smallish head.

Smell – There’s a faint grain aroma here to go with the sugary sweetness, which seems to be the main attraction.

Taste – The grain was just plain nasty at the taste and the sweetness reminded me of a Pixie Stick I left outside in the rain once when I was a kid.

Mouthfeel – This sample from Mexico is light-bodied and fizzy in the mouth.

Sinkability – This one lacks substance and winded up in the pipes. (491 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

This is a low point for me. Why am I reviewing this? Boredom on vacation? Am I a karma slut? I hope not.

Appearance: Yellow color fails to impress but lacing is thick throught. The yellow is not a good golden yellow.

Smell: Some malt going on-I think.

Taste: bland to the extreme.

Mouthfeel: watery but not offensive.

Drinkable: Drinkable in the way water is drinkable. Hey, if you are the type of BA who thinks this kind of beer has its place after mowing the lawn-this is for you. I would recommend water in its stead. (535 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -32.2%

Very unimpressive beer. No real body to it. Pours clear brown with a short-lived off-white head. Moderate lacing. Grainy, straw aroma with a handful of corn. Watery, bubbly mouthfeel. More hay and grain in the taste, and a metallic aftertaste. Bland. (250 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Spending two weeks in the Yucatan, felt like I had to try this, since I've had no urge to pick it up back home.

Pours a fairly pale golden yellow, quite clear, with about a half-finger of white head, which fades quickly, and leaves little lace.

Smell is rather faint hops with a hint of peppery spice. Not remarkable, really, but not so bad.

Taste has a bit of bite to it. Pale malt base doesn't provide much flavor, but the hops add a slight spice and tingle. Turns mildly bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fine - light-bodied, with ample carbonation and a slightly prickly finish.

This is like a muted pilsner - it has all the right elements, but with the volume turned down. Those elements set it apart from a lot of other Mexican beers, but it doesn't measure up so well against other versions. (804 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -30.5%

pours a clear golden color one finger foamy white head that disappeared almost as soon as it was poured with no lace. clean smell of fruit and grain. corn and malt taste slight hop note dry light mouth feel carbonation was ok. claims of roasted barley cocoa like bitterness and hints of vanilla were not there as claimed on the cardboard carrier not something i would buy again. (378 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -30.5%

Anything is better than Corona. This is maltier than typical lagers. Tastes like it could be a vienna style, but isn't quite as sweet, dark, or malted as many of those brews. Fast fading head. Faintly sweet nose and flavor. A bit grainy. A bit more beer-like taste than the other 15 or so that I sampled in mexico. (314 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -30.2%

Golden pour, pretty yellow actually; golden is kind of kind.
(I'm not a fan of golden beers. No real reason...biased against gold, yellow beers mainly because of its resemblance to something...else.)

No real "head" per se, just some carbonation bubbles that accumlated at the top VERY briefly.

I caught a faint scent of, seriously, pork chop. Yes, pork chop. (And no, no one was cooking.) But seemed to fade pretty fast.
There was a slight vanilla scent that remained, and that was nice.

Its bitterness kind of sticks for a while at the top, back of the mouth. There's a slight creaminess to the feel, which is nice, but does a lot to point up the lingering aftertaste. Not a good end result.

Between this and a diet Pepsi, I'd take the Pepsi. Between this and a Bud light, it's be a real tought call and I'd hem and haw a little, but I guess I'd settle for this. (877 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -29.9%

12oz bottle with cool styling. no freshness date.

App: pale golden with head that lasts 10 secs.

Smell: Sweet grain. Maybe a bit of a corn smell? faint floral hops.

Taste: greeted by a husky malt taste. next comes a vegetable taste reminiscent of celery and carrots. Awful. But as I drink the taste subsides, and the flavor is dominated by a nice hop bitterness. After the strange veggie phase of 2-3 sips, it turns into a decent pils. As I finish the veggie flavor returns.

Crisp pils mouthfeel, but the combo of light flavor, high carbonation, and hop bitterness give it too much of a bite.

In a pinch this could be my pils fix. (637 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a clear golden yellow with a white head that quickly disappears.

S- The aroma is very faint grain and not much else.

T- The taste like the aroma is very pale malts with a dry finish. Not a whole lot of flavor, and the flavor that is there is nothing to write home about.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and heavily carbonated.

D- it would probably be pretty easy to throw back a few of these after a long day but I don't know I'd want to. I'm just not very impressed with this brew. (515 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -29.3%

A: 12 oz bottle. 2 fat fingers head, heavy lacing, light straw in color, slightly cloudy.

S: Very small amount fruit aroma, sort of hard to place. some grain as well, almost smells generic.

T/M: Had light body, stong carbonation.

D: Taste didn't improve with warmth, would probably go great with mexican food. (312 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -28.7%

12 oz botttle. Gold foil covers the cap and neck. Clear pale golden in appearance with an airy white head. Light aroma consists of sour grain. Thin mouthfeel with a crispness from the carbonation. I don't know if my taste buds were off or what, but the flavor exhibited an unexpected fruitiness to it. Light malt and grain flavors lead into a somewhat dry finish. Overall pretty bland. I expected a little more here. Pales in comparison to Dos Equis Amber. (456 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -27.6%

Rather watery, in appearance. Pale yellow of a macro. Ditto, the small, quickly dissapating head. Slightly fruity nose (grapes?), but other than that pretty much right down the middle of the road. There's an OK bitterness, but that's pretty much where this beer's unique offerings to Beerdom ends. Puny, weak mouthfeel. Generally bland, expected malt taste of cheap ajuncts. It seemed like there was a bit of an alcoholic kick behind it, but I see now the ABV is just 5.3%. Perhaps I noticed something just because it was relative to the beer's overall mediocrity. Grainy, dustry dry finish, which wasn't too bad. But I definitely won't seek this out again.

This was the first beer from a 12-beer sampler pack assembled by my (awesome) father in law as a birthday gift from the Blue Max (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1287/?view=beerfly). Many obscure, enticing porters and pub ales to explore. I'm glad this one is out of the way. (941 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured this into my Pilesner glass, it was a nice light gold color with a small head that dissapears quickly. No lacing was left.

Ahhh smells quite like a corona with a little less skunk smell. Citrusy like smell with a hint of hops.

Citrus like taste that quickly dissapears.

Mouthfeel is very thin and light, watery. Typical lager.

I forgot how much I paid for this, but if its cheap, I could see myself drinking some of these on a hot summer day. (453 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The word on the street is that this is one of the good Mexican beers.

Appearance: The pour is straw to gold with a small white head.

Smell: The nose has soft grains and a bit of sweet malts.

Taste: Light grains and a hint of crisp saaz hops are nice, but sweet malts take what could be a semi-tolerable maco lager down a notch.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied and fizzy.

Drinkability: There's not much going on in this one, but what is present is a flavor that I'll be happy to pass on next time I see it. (520 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Good beer overall I tried one in a Mexican restaurant. It goes well with those dishes and has a pretty good taste. I'm more into heavy or darker beer soo this one was just ok. I would try it again if I had the chance depending on the atmosphere I'm in (251 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -25.3%

One of the better Mexican beers, but still, nothing to rave about. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a clear yellow, forming a thin 1 inch head, with lots of carbonation. Thin rings of lace on the glass. The aroma is slightly skunky, along with a little corn smell. The taste isnt bad, but its not really good either. Very little flavor, mostly a slight grain flavor, but mostly just like water. Light mouthfeel. Overall, not bad, but this isnt a beer I would drink more than one of. (512 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -25.3%

Had this at a mexican resturaunt (Suprise).

It poured a dusty? light gold. It was very carbonated and had zero head. The smell was of alcohol and adjuncts. Slight maltyness.

Mouthfeel and taste average. Pretty average beer. Just once I'd like a mexican beer to blow me away. (280 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -24.4%

Pale golden color with some darker rings. Lacing is scant, pale white, and short lived. Nothing special.

The aroma is like seltzer water with a hint of pale grains and DMS. Faint beeriness. The flavor is similarly weak. Carbonation is prominent in the flavor, unfortunately. Body is too fizzy and also very light.

Nothing special, this does not stand out from a crowded pack. Pass. (385 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Pours a bright unclouded golden yellow with a fizzy white head that left no lacing.

S - Sweet smell of light malts, carmel and straw.

T - Not at all like, very mild flavors of straw, with a bitter and grainy aftertaste.

M - Light and fizzy.

D - Goes fine with most Mex food but not my first choice. (306 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -23.6%

Could almost see this as being akin to the status quo water glass at dinner. I.e. if you drink it fine, if not, no big deal; Could in fact even see having something else as the "primary" drink, with this being a secondary thing.

A lot of the beers I enjoy, I almost consider to be more of a food component to the meal vs. that of a beverage, if that makes sense, This is the other way around. Very unassuming, very neutral. Would go pretty well with just about anything and not get in the way. Could I see myself sitting down with one of these in my favorite glass and sipping? Do I see this as being a meal enhancement? No chance. But I could see drinking a bit of this with crabs, pizza, shrimp, chinese, a burger, after working in the yard, etc, etc. Probably defines the term session, although I can't imagine drinking any real number of these.

Pours a clear very pale straw color; Not much head to speak off. No lacing. Fairly bubbly. I may have picked-up on a touch of skunk in the nose as well as some grass. Not much in the way of body or mouth feel to it. Some have said it's not watery; I would tend to disagree and say that it's in fact very watery. Almost reminded me a little of my GrandDad's 'PBR' circa 75', although a tad weaker. (1,269 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -23%

12 ouncer sampled, no freshness dating observed. Pours very light straw, slight chill haze, slight white head, leaving just a tad of lacing. Just a few lazy bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Nose is corn/rice like. Just a typical macro lager going on here, lawn mower brew, or ice cold with some spicy mexican food. Besides that, pass this one by. (358 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -23%

Had a Mexican themed evening with friends and decided this would compliment the food nicely.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is crystal clear yellow. About a finger of stark white head fades rather quick and leaves no lace.

The aroma is fairly muted. What I can pick up is the usual corn tortillas smell. Which I can assume is from the saaz hops. Hints of sweet malt and light breadiness.

The flavor is about the same as the nose. Faint corn and malt. A bit of skunky tartness in the finish.

Thin body with a good dose of carbonation.

Overall it washed down the spicy mexican cuisine fairly good and it was hot and humid so it was a nice thirst quencher. So technically it did it's job. (696 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -23%

Lt gold color. WIth a foamy medium head. Aroma is sweet . A Light taste lager.It's slightly hoppy. Crisp taste. Full and smooth. Mouthfeel. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. A typical Mexican/South American Lager. Lighter tasting beer, not a lot of flavor, but it is light and refreshing. (302 characters)

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.