Bohemia - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bohemia Alström Bros
Ratings: 956 | Reviews: 412
3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

This brew pours to a light yellow color with a small white head that breaks down quickly leaving a slight film on the top. The aroma is sweet with some actual hops that is noticeable. Also a slight skunky aroma but not over whelming, and in truth does not impact the brew too much. Noticeable grain like flavors with a fair amount of malt, which finishes with a slight, but nice and noticeable hop taste. This brew is not bad; it was the first one that I came across where I could actually pick up a noticeable hop flavor. For the brews that I have had while in Mexico I would say that this was middle of the pack. Possible something that I would get while at a Mexican restaurant but have some others that I like a bit better.

1.71/5  rDev -49.7%

Not a good beer. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess I was expecting too much. Not much appearance. It looked like half sprite and half mountain dew. The smell? What smell. I couldn't smell anything.
Taste was pretty bad. I was expecting some kind of hops, maybe a little citrusy tinge, but I was really let down. All I tasted was the carbonationand a tad of sweetness. At the very end there was a tiny hoppy taste, but it disappeared quite quickly. The mouthfeel was fizzy, like a normal pilsener, but more like a carbonated beverage than a smooth, silky lager from "Bohemia". No aftertaste, either.

I'm not a fan of putting lemons or limes in a beer, and I don't think any kind of citrus fruit could have rescued it.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

Nice pouring, nice looking brew. I had this for the first time the other night at a mexican restaurant. I tasted this lager both with and without lime. Without the lime I thought it was a very nice, smooth tasting lager. I won't go so far as to say it's my favorite mexican beer, but it's a pretty darn close #2.

When I had it with the lime, I thought it was still a good beer--however, it really changed the flavor of it. I don't want to say it took away from the beer, but it really did change the taste. Still good with the lime, but I do think it's even better without.

I think the taste was very clean and crisp, the mouthfeel was very nice. It was a little softer than a lot of lagers, but very nice. I rate this pretty high on drinkability. (My standard of drinkability is rating it by how well I think I could drink a brew all night). I could drink this one all night.

4.16/5  rDev +22.4%

Nice Lager pour, very vibrant yellow in color. Reminiscent of sunshine when held under a light! Carbonation looks extremely well done, and the streams are impressive. Large lively white foamy head as well. Good appearance. Smell is very non offensive. It's subdued, but still plenty aromatic. Light citrus hop profile, a hint of bananas, and grassy malt. Not bad. Now let's check out the taste. Taste is crisp and smooth. Upfront has a semi sweet/sour rush of grassy malt, grain, and tangy citrus. Midway, the light citrus/floral hops take over, allowing the drink to finish with a receding pleasent citric bitter. A mexican beer with hops!!! It's a miracle, and a damn good one at that. Mouthfeel is right on for the lager style, providing adequate carbonation and palate tingles. Drikability is good, you could definitely drink a few.

An awesome Mexican beer, and a wonderful exmple of the Vienna Lager style as well. This was tasty, and I recommended it.

4.85/5  rDev +42.6%

I read some of the reviews and wonder why people bothered to review this beer when they only had one (Jay the Finn) and it had lime in it (Judge Roughneck). I enjoy lime occasionally, but to review a beer after only one and when lime was in it is pretty lame.

Bottom line - this is THE BEST MEXICAN BEER. PERIOD. I like Modelo, Victoria, Carta Blanca, Indio, and Leon, and even Dos Equis at times, but Bohemia is in a class by itself. I don't even know how to describe it, but I'll try. It smells better, it looks better, it feels better, it tastes better. It isn't overpowering, but it is definitely not weak. It has a very distinctive, unique taste. It is easy to drink and EVERY time I have it, I think to myself, I should never have any other beer - at least when in Mexico.

Bohemia is not real easy to find, but is totally worth it if you can. They also have a dark beer (Obscura) and a Wheat beer made with coriander and orange peel. I think it is the first (if not the only) wheat beer produced in Mexico. THEY ARE ALL EXCELLENT BEERS!

On the down side, it is ESSENTIAL to get these when they are fresh. Fresh Bohemia is gratifying and delicious. Stale Bohemia is not good. It isn't horrible, but it seriously drops to average or below average.

Unfortunately, Bohemia is not advertised like the other Mexican beers and as a result, is easy to miss.

UPDATE: Mexico is now getting more serious about craft beers so I may have to retract my "best Mexican beer, period" statement. But, it is still the best mass produced Mexican beer.

3.34/5  rDev -1.8%

This is a pale gold beer with not much head and liveley carbonation. I can't smell anything really beyond the giant lime wedge that was perched on my glass so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and rating it average. I did pick up some musty grain smell.

The taste here is a bit tangy, (no I didn't put the lime in) something I look for more in a mexican lager than vienna but I'm not splitting hairs. The brew is light and sweet, slick and springy on the tounge, and goes down smooth.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz bottle poured into goblet-type glassware.

Appearance: Dark straw color, something like a wheat beer. Decent head.

Smell: A bit malty and sweet. Some noble hops in the background.

Taste: A bit different than I expected - full bodied with a good maltiness and a bit of fruit. Clean and crisp overall.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, great carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, maybe just a tad less so than some other typical lagers.

Overall, one of the better Mexican lagers I have had.

1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

I grabbed one of these at the company picnic the other day. I wish I hadn't. I mean, I'd heard it wasn't great, but it was still a let down.

A - Pale straw yellow with a fairly big bright white head.
S - Corn and plastic scent. Doesn't make me want to drink it.
T - I wish I didn't drink it. Tastes like canned corn.
M - Pretty non-existent.
D - Goes down smooth due to wateriness, but I won't be grabbing another even if it's free.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Bohemia is a flower amongst weeds when it comes to beers produced in Mexico; not that there aren't a few other good ones here and there, but for the most part there are more bad than good.

It pours a crystal-clear deep gold body beneath an average-sized head of bright white foam. The retention is very good, but it leaves only very minor lacing about the glass.

The nose is bright and fresh with floral and gently spicy hops (Saaz) over a delicately sweet and mildly candyish maltiness that suggests honey with a drop of vanilla.

In the mouth it's medium-bodied and crisp with a moderate, fine-bubbled carbonation.

The flavor is quite straightforward, but it has finesse. It's clean and very well-balanced with a solid bitterness that backs it's lightly grainy and slightly honeyish maltiness and floral, spicy, and lightly grassy hops. It finishes with a lingering combination of hops, sweet malt, and gentle bitterness that gently erode from the palate.

Overall, Bohemia is a very nicely done, well-refined European-style lager that easily stands up to its predecessors, and deserves more attention than it gets.

Bohemia pours a light yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Grainy and banana like aromas are present (I don't think there's supposed to be banana like aromas!). Banana like flavors are also present in the taste. After the beer aired out briefly, I can no longer taste banana or smell it. Grainy flavors dominate, a little bit of a citrus twang too. Actually, not too bad for a Mexican offering. Worth a try.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: normal looking pale ale: some fizz, golden shower yellow, wimpy head

Smell: Corn, some other grain

Taste: corn, balanced a bit with a touch of hops and malts,

Mouthfeel: medium thin, a bit grainy at the end

Drinkability: This is an easy drinker. It's a little complex but not much. It's a good bad porch drinkin' beer. It vaguely reminds me of Sam Adams but still doesn't come close. Still it serves a different purspose I suppose.

3.04/5  rDev -10.6%

I absolutly love mexican food, but I've had a hard time finding a mexican beer to go with my food that I trully enjoy. I usually go with a Negra Modelo, but today I discovered something I'd never seen anywhere else before... and I liked it (for the most part).

A: Nothing special, very yellow with little to no head or lacing. Lots of bubbles.

S: Again nothing special, a bit citrusy but that's about it.

T: I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasently surprised. Though it was similar to other mexican beers, it packed a bit more bite. The malt was light, but noticable and what I liked the most was it had a hoppy bitter finish which other Mexican beers lack.

M: Nothing that stands out. Light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

D: This is not something I would drink regularly, but definatly what I'll be ordering the next time I go out for mexican food. I recommend drinking it with OUT adding lime.

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Still the king of mexican beers as far as I'm concerned, exceptionally smooth, not watered down like Corona or cheap tasting like Tecate, Carta Blanca etc. Color is darker than your average lager, great in a frosted mug.

Many mexican restaurants in Texas will carry this beer. One warning, since this beer is not as well known as other mexican brews, it may have been sitting in the storage room for a while. Like all beers, if it's old it may start to get a bit skunky. If you get a bottle from a fresh batch, you will not regret trying it.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

From the 12oz. brown bottle w/gold neck-cap foil pours an ultra light yellow-gold lager with a white 1/2inch bubbley head. Good carbonation keeps the head aloft, micro bubbles and pristene clarity, with very little lacing.

Mildly sweet, grainy malt nose with some green, grassy hops pretty much sums it up. Smells nice and refreshing.

Tastes like it smells, faintly sweet grainy, bready malt flavor that subsides rather quickly, too a bittery hop finish. Nice balance of malt and hops, with the alcohol going undetected.

Light body with a pleasant mouthfeel, this beer can be heavily consumed in hot weather and accompanies a good Mexican dish like no other. This is still my all-around favorite Mexican beer to date. Cheers!

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle(room temp) a yellow gold with a large head of foam that dissipated fairly quickly leaving a fine layer and some lacing on the side of my glass.

The smell is malty sweet with a slight bitter note.

The taste is a good mix of slightly sweet malt and slightly bitter hop..good balance, in fact, and that makes it a good drinker.

Bottom line: A good Vienna Lager that's worth trying and even buying from time to time.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a clear yellow with a fairly large, billowy head. Nose leaned to the malt side, and nicely so. Deep, rich aroma. Hops were there but in a supporting role. Flavor was also malty with perhaps a little toffee-like sweetness. Could use a bit more bitterness up front, but it did catch up in the aftertaste and the flavor was quite nice. Mouthfeel had a bit of creaminess to it and was fairly crisp. Drinkability was about average.

Good beer, and rivals Negra Modelo as my favorite from south-of-the-border.

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

Golden pour, pretty yellow actually; golden is kind of kind.
(I'm not a fan of golden beers. No real reason...biased against gold, yellow beers mainly because of its resemblance to something...else.)

No real "head" per se, just some carbonation bubbles that accumlated at the top VERY briefly.

I caught a faint scent of, seriously, pork chop. Yes, pork chop. (And no, no one was cooking.) But seemed to fade pretty fast.
There was a slight vanilla scent that remained, and that was nice.

Its bitterness kind of sticks for a while at the top, back of the mouth. There's a slight creaminess to the feel, which is nice, but does a lot to point up the lingering aftertaste. Not a good end result.

Between this and a diet Pepsi, I'd take the Pepsi. Between this and a Bud light, it's be a real tought call and I'd hem and haw a little, but I guess I'd settle for this.

4.02/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a grassy and spicy hop with a light grainy malt.

The taste consisted of a clean malt and a surprisingly lively hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the lighter side of the style with good carbonation.

Overall a very tasty and hoppy lager. Likely the best offering from south of the border.

3.39/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Standard yellow with zilch for a head.

Aroma gets better marks, with faint vanilla, grainy malt, and very mild spicy hops.

Taste remains decent: Thin but adjunct-free malt backs up sweet and soft vanilla mingling with light pilsner hops.

Delicate but tasty, this might just edge out Negra Modelo next time I go for mexican food.

4.41/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is pretty light for a darfker tasting beer. I loved the smell, the taste, everrything about this beer except for the colr. The color isn't as full as it could be. However, I still think this is a great tasting beer that is pleasing to the nose after a sip. I would recommend it to anyone. If you're ever at a mexican restaurant ask your waiter to get you one of these.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Probably the best Mexican beer I've tried. Clean, crisp malty aroma with a hint of hops. Pours a pale golden color with moderate carbonation, very little head. Very crisp, clean with a subdued graininess. Hops are subdued as well. Seems to have a slight underlying vanilla flavor that peeks out for a moment. I can see where this would be a very refreshing beer on a hot summers day, a solid refreshing brew.

Note: I didn't detect any sourness or skunkiness in the aroma or flavor as some other reviewers have noted.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

What a great beer to have with a Mexican dinner. Rather than grabbing a domestic American Beer, this beer is a wise choice. Not a strong brew, it has light malty taste, that tickles the senses. Try it with a chicken burrito, makes for a great dinner!

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Here's a crisp, clean, Mexican lager that might actually have something to offer. While the nose is quite faint -- bordering on non-existent -- there is a crisp bitterness that establishes itself early on in the palate and lingers on well into the finish. Along the way an easy malty sweetness is noticeable, but it is this well-placed, albeit mild, bitterness that causes Bohemia to stand out from most of the other mainstream Mexican lagers.

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%

appearance: Crystal clear gold lager, strong carbonation, wispy head that vanishes on the instant.
aroma: Refreshing lack of skunkiness (hello, brown glass bottle - you listening, Corona?). Notes of light hops, grassiness. Clean.
taste: Dry and bland on the initial taste. In the back swallow only the slightest bit of brassy malt.
mouthfeel: Clean and harsh on the tongue
drinkability: This would make a fine summer brew, something to quench your thirst with and little else. Not terribly complex, but then that's not always a bad thing.

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Ya know, just not a bad all around brew. Sure, the ol’ lite straw/yellow color, could use a better white head. But some hints of malt and bread in the aroma , and then a nice, well bodied taste. First, you could detect some earthy malts, then some lite doughy breads. Finished properly balanced.

As many other reviewers note, try this one – it can stand on it’s own. Why the hell the site says *not recommended*, with a 3.25 average, is beyond me.

A good, tasty Vienna lager treat.

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.