2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dos Equis Amber Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

good

Ratings: 1933

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Amber Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,933 | Reviews: 678 | Show All Ratings:
Paincane

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Reddish amber with off-white head that leaves moderate lace.
S: Caramel, toffee and malt nose.
T: Malty sweetness with a slight citrus presence.
M: Light bodied and well-carbonated. Smooth with a clean dry finish.
O: Decent Mexican beer--finally!

03-30-2014 01:43:54 | More by Paincane
DW_and_my_boy_Jones

Missouri

3.94/5  rDev +26.3%

Me and my boy Jones went by one of our three favorite beer-buying establishments last week, and I bought two six-packs of the Dos Equis Amber Lager...and I had forgotten just how really good that this beer tastes. I think my exact words were "wow, I have forgotten how freaking good this beer tastes!" This is definitely my go-to beer for any occasion. It has a nice amber color, and is just very "smooth". My boy Jones always orders a Dos Equis Amber draft beer at the local Mexican restaurant (I usually get a Negra Modelo, because you can't find it just everywhere...at least here in no-where-ville Missouri!).

If you are new to "beer snob-e-ness" and want to try a nice amber beer - this is the one...not Michelob Amber Bock....oh, sorry, that's for another review!

03-26-2014 18:27:24 | More by DW_and_my_boy_Jones
TheOneCleanHippy

Connecticut

3.65/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Although a somewhat average beer, I find the Dos Equis Amber Lager to be a very refreshing and smooth beer. It has a good amount of taste and is not as watery as many beers of similar pricing. I find this beer to be the best of the beers that one can get a pint of for $3-4. Though it won't overwhelm you with complicated tastes and smells, it will refresh you and satisfy you. Goes well with a lime garnish and makes a hot summer day that much more pleasant.

03-18-2014 02:10:15 | More by TheOneCleanHippy
gonzo000

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - OK - not much head

s - Good amber - somewhat lacking in aroma

t - Crisp refreshing beer. Perfect paring with most mexican food, which is what I enjoyed while drinking the beer.

m - good clean crisp beer

o - good beer for mexican food, or hot summer day.

02-26-2014 00:54:44 | More by gonzo000
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Sampling right now on 2/15/14 but have this one several times in the past. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a clear amber with about a 1/2-finger off white head that settles down to just along the sides of the top of the brew and sides. Some very spotty lacing is seen.. Very light aroma of malts and caramel. The taste is the same with more malts coming through. A little 'watered-down' but decent. Overall smooth to drink with just a little bitterness for the finish. Overall, a decent brew.

02-16-2014 00:41:15 | More by BeerWithMike
Retroman40

Kentucky

3.01/5  rDev -3.5%

This is my "go-to" Mexican Beer for pairing with any spicy Mexican style dish.

A - A very clear light copper color. You can read through this stuff. Sets up a nice head that while fleeting results in some lacing.

S - Very neutral. Just a hint of grains, yeast and malt.

T - Dominated by the malt; very clean.

M - A little on the watery side but overall ok.

O - This is an overall refreshing Mexican beer. Good with spicy food and good after cutting the grass if it happens to be around. I'll never turn one down.

01-12-2014 13:43:45 | More by Retroman40
AaronTheBearded

Kansas

3.54/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aye, first review ever for me. Let's see how this goes...

I purchased this beer during happy hour at On The Border. They actually brought it out in a margarita glass, which I found kind of odd, but I was over it soon enough.

A - The first thing I should note is that the appearance of this beer is honestly quite lovely - Much better than expected. Perfectly clear. When looking down on it, it has a nice dark brownish-red color, and when held up to the light it looked like a nice dark whisky. Amber is definitely the word to describe it. Light carbonation, and zero head (who's to say how long it was waiting at the bar before the waitress brought it over), but it had a nice, thin lacing that stuck to the glass with every sip.

S - I got a bit of yeast and breadiness, a touch of hops and some minor grains - perhaps rice or corn - very, very subtle.

T - Taste follows the smell pretty well. Nice light-bodied beer, suitable for leisure-drinking, especially alongside Mexican food. Very subtle taste, but not watered down.

M - Again, it was quite subtle feeling on the tongue. Not too much carbonation, and it was pretty light-weight, but heavier than an adjunct lager would be. Refreshing and crisp - nice for cooling down when you hit a jalapeno seed.

O - Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I'm more of an ale drinker myself, so when I go to Mexican restaurants, I'm always slightly depressed when I can't order a good IPA to go with my meal. This one definitely lifted my spirits, and will probably be my new favorite when it comes to Latina brews.

01-11-2014 07:24:13 | More by AaronTheBearded
vulgora

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

been wanting to try this for a long time, a friend of mine loves the standard Dos Equis , but when I asked him if he had tried the amber he said he didn't like it .

well I just thought that he couldn't handle the flavor given that he mostly likes thin beers like standard Dos Equis ,Heineken ,standard becks, and becks sapphire (which is the most tasteless beer i have tasted , least offensive but flavorless... oh well this is about Dos Equis not my friend's preferences ,

the A) thin , red , like a red dos equis , or coors , basically lite and bubbly, accept coors has a head , this beer had no head whats so ever , very odd , even busch or budweiser pours to a head.

S) not much slighty malty but i didnt pick much up

T) to me almost slightly like cherry's , very thin and the abv is only 4.6 %
refreshing but no very refreshing . i wasn't impressed there just isn't a lot going on here ,

m) mixed bag it tastes vaguely og cherry's but the mouth feel doesn't really even feel like an amber idk disappointed , no head , the beer lacks girth and just feels like your drinking a flat beer ...

overall: frankly in my video review I didn't know if i wanted a standard Dos equis or amber dos equis but really with the standard , its more refreshing and lite crisp and well you know what your getting your self into , that being said im not a big fan , $9.60 for a 6 pack full price at safeway ridiculous i got it for $7.40 and even at that i feel ripped off , acually my father picked this up for me so i feel bad for him buying this ...

this isn't undrinkable just way over priced , id rather drink coors , miller , hams ,rolling rock , at least those beers are cheaper and have a head to them have more of a girth to them

and at wal-mart you can buy killion's irish red for $5.77 haven't had it but how can it be any worse than this ?

all in all unless you must try don't bet on this beer its over priced thin and frankly disappointing...

12-30-2013 09:17:26 | More by vulgora
Kendo

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass. Body is coppery-amber with a smallish (half-finger) ecru-colored head on top. Some splotchy lace.

S: Caramel malt and cereal grains. Slightly minerally.

T: Inoffensive, though somewhat bland and a little bit too sweet. Modest toasted bread and some generic sweetness makes me wonder if corn is employed as an adjunct here. Slight minerally bitterness at the finish, but it doesn't cut through the overwhelming impression of sweetness.

M: Light in heft, carbonation is a bit too subdued, giving this a slightly oily feel.

O: This is decent for what it is. When you're at a Mexican restaurant eating spicy food, you could do far worse than to order this beer. I think it would do better with food than when drank on its own, as I'm doing now.

11-14-2013 23:39:09 | More by Kendo
smptenor

3.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Great Session beer. Very smooth with a really good taste. Could drink like 7 of these in 1 session. very easy to drink beer and very tasty. Overall pretty good beer and I really enjoyed it. Bottle is better then Draft. I was very impressed about how great it went down and like it a great deal more than the regular Dos Equis

11-09-2013 09:09:15 | More by smptenor
andrewjraab

3.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear copper, amber, 1 finger of off white head that quickly dissipates.

S / T - not a big nose - mostly malt forward. Nice smooth malt on the palate, crisp and refreshing. This is a highly drinkable mexican lager. Light bodied - highly sessionable.

O - Solid brew to have on a hot summer day with a slice of lime. This is one of my go to session brews in the summer.

11-04-2013 00:53:34 | More by andrewjraab
Amish_Ambush

Tennessee

2.14/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Straw colored; pours out into a white frothy head that quickly dissipates into minimal lacing. Slight malty smell with hints of bubble gum and salt water taffy. A little malty in the front with a slight hop finish. Light to medium body. I like to drink this with Mexican cuisine; barely touch this otherwise.

09-04-2013 00:31:04 | More by Amish_Ambush
mjurney

3.64/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
Deep amber color, clear. Lots of small bubble rising up. Frothy, eggshell color head.

Aroma:
Malty, toasted, sweet, crisp, clean.

Taste:
Sweetness, toasted malts, grainy, just a touch of corn. Hop bitterness is light, leafy-herbal. Finish is crisp, clean, dry. Body is light, crisp, clean, refreshing, dry.

Overall:
It's a good beer.

08-12-2013 01:46:40 | More by mjurney
SMarq17

3.91/5  rDev +25.3%

Before I get into specifics, this beer is what I call a "home-field" beer. In other words, unless you drink it in Mexico, you really don't know how good it can be and have a legitimate level for comparison. I live within driving distance of Mexico, so I have had this beer on both sides of the frontera many times and it is demonstrably better (especially the green label) south of the border.

Just for info, I will never buy the green label on this side of the border due to the skunky condition that I have found it in far too many times. The Ambar doesn't seem to be affected by the importation anywhere near as often.

I find the appearance to be that of a classic lager, foamy and clear with steady bubbles upon opening. The usual opening smell is a signal of the smoothness of the upcoming taste: Not too strong, yet when the bottle is a fresh one, the odor has hints of alcoholic content. When the beer has the bottle-cappy smell right after popping the top, I advise to prepare for the first few drinks to be a rough experience. If fresh, it has a just-short-of-sharp first taste with light carbonation and a slight aftertaste that only lasts a second or two. I find Dos Equis Ambar to be refreshing and very good with food

Overall, I rate the beer higher than average and with the disclaimer that it has been one of my favorites for years now. Again, I will say that without exception, it is vastly better south of the border due to the obvious freshness of being a home-field beer.

06-03-2013 18:39:45 | More by SMarq17
jjamadorphd

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

I've decided to change my review approach - and I get to do it with Dos XX Amber Lager - a surprisingly good beer.

Beautiful dark caramel to burnt-Orange color that builds a short lightly tanned head with little staying power. Interestingly though, the beer had good lacing down the glass. Not much but your normal scents of malts and barley, but it had a bold taste. I could distinctly tell coriander, cinnamon, and a citrus - most probably lemon - it all mixed with each other good, refreshing. Overall, it was a good beer except for it's lack of olfactory presence. I'm glad I had stayed thirst my friends, glad indeed.

If you're gonna drink, please, don't drive. And if you drive, for cryin' out loud, do us all a favor and don't drink...stay safe...

06-02-2013 15:02:55 | More by jjamadorphd
DavidS88

1.88/5  rDev -39.7%

I've had the regular Dos Equis Lager Especial plenty of times, so I thought when I tried the amber lager it would be a step up and maybe offer something a little more tasty than the regular adjunct lager. Boy was I wrong. Drinking this straight out of the bottle, I cannot really comment on the appearance or the smell. That which I did smell out of the bottle (I know this isn't the way you are supposed to smell a beer) was just bad. Like someone tried to make a high quality lager and it just went bad somewhere down the line. It was surprisingly skunky, slightly better smelling than a Corona or some other cheap Mexican swill adjunct beer. The taste was ever worse than the smell. It was kinda metallic with hints of alcohol. Really? I can taste the alcohol in this beer at only 4.7% ABV? Something is clearly wrong here. Dos Equis Amber had very little to offer in term of hops or malts used and just tasted like generic "beer" like any other adjunct only slightly worse. There was definitely some sweetness from what I imagine is corn, but other than that, this tasted horrible. I'd take an American macro lager or even the regular Dos Equis over this. Maybe it was because I drank it out of the bottle or maybe the bottle was already skunked or bad. But I'll be honest, this was one of the worst beers I have had in recent memory.

05-21-2013 23:41:31 | More by DavidS88
archyquaffer

Montana

3.41/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A moderate-aggressive pour from a long neck into an 8 ounce sampler produces hardly any head at all, which disappears entirely almost immediately. The color is a pale copper. I smell a nice light malt flavor with hardly a whiff of hops. The taste is light, yet pretty malty and sweet, with just a kiss of hops. Nice sweet, malty aftertaste as well, with minimum bitterness. The mouthfeel is fairly creamy, despite the light body and general lack of head and/or carbonation.

I'm not sure that I've had another of this particular style, but I've been drinking these occasionally for a long time. They definitely go good with Mexican cuisine, and also make a good session brew.

05-21-2013 04:13:41 | More by archyquaffer
bobbyr5

3.56/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: pint glass from bottle

A: Amber like the name. Not a lot of head

S: Pretty weak. Little bit of Malt and caramel maybe

T: Sweet caramel, with not a lot of after taste

M: Pretty good carbonation

Overall: I like the sweet taste in the beginning but the after taste was kind of weak with the smell.

05-18-2013 20:36:24 | More by bobbyr5
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had a bottle of this with some Mexican food at Chevy's.

The beer is clear and amber with a small white head. Weak aroma. What's there is adjuncts, grain, lager type scents. Pretty clean flavor initially with a bit of corn and grain harshness in the finish. When paired with saucy and spicy food, this flaw is disguised to some degree. A tad sweet with some fruity malt. OK.

05-07-2013 18:25:01 | More by Huhzubendah
dacrza1

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%

Reviewed: 14 October 2013...
Glassware: Warsteiner pokal...
Occasion: first full week of school, completed....
Appearance: amber indeed, with a small but noteable white head; uneven tracing as the glass drains...
Aroma: roasted malts--not the kind that awaken nostrils--are teemed with some Saaz hops and oats--a Vienna lager, basically...
Palate: medium-bodied, relatively smooth start and finish; drinkable and pairs well with late-night snacks...
Taste: a back-end maltiness lingers, but otherwise, a swift taste-and-go kind of beer...
Overall: a bit nutty and adds to its complexity as the drink finishes; not the mouth rinse its XX brother is but not much else going on beyond its extended body...

04-14-2013 04:55:57 | More by dacrza1
JordonHoltzman

2.31/5  rDev -26%

From notes:
Had this beer in Mexico, where the bottle label spells it Ambar.
Pours a brown light body with a light fizzy head that last 10 seconds before dissipating.
Smell has a medium level aroma of roasted malts but no hop aroma to speak of.
Tastes like your average adjunct lager
Does not resemble and amber in taste, maybe in Mexico it has a different definition, but yea it tastes more like your bud light or miller, or I guess the regular version of dos Equis. Might as well be brown food coloring that gave its amber color.
Average mouthfeel.
Overall if I had a regular dos Equis available to taste along with it, I'm sure they would be different but this one just has that light beer flavor with maybe a little bit extra.

04-04-2013 02:12:12 | More by JordonHoltzman
tonton

Hong Kong

3.26/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I always drink this beer with Mexican food. It's my Mexican lager of choice. And oddly for a vienna lager, I always add a lime wedge and drink from the bottle Corona style.

I just think this beer pairs perfectly with spicy mexican. The spicier the better.

By itself, it's an average beer. In the Vienna Lager style, I much prefer the Menabria 150°.

But I'll continue to order this with Mexican when it's available.

03-23-2013 08:10:49 | More by tonton
KYGunner

Kentucky

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%

Light amber hue topped by a frothy thick head with tremendous lacing. Loads of carbonation rises to the top.

Virtually no scent at all there's a hint of tinny malts.

Light sweet malt flavor with a touch of airy, bready, dryness. The carbonation adds to an easy, crisp feel but detracts from any real taste experience.

03-07-2013 02:39:08 | More by KYGunner
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A- Pours a rusty brown color. Clarity is high. Small head that quickly reduces to a thin lace on the top of the beer. Highly effervescent with lots of bubbles rising and not much lacing.

S- Not a lot here. Mostly some light grain aromas and hints of malt. Slightly sweet caramel malt is present, but difficult to find. Not impressed here.

T- Light grains just like the scent are prominent. More malt than in the aroma, but still not much for the color of the beer. Slight metallic flavor is also present. At the end there is a hint of hops bitterness bite.

M- Light, highly carbonated, and easy to drink. Pretty thin. Pretty plain here.

Overall, this is better than the other Mexican beer options, but still not great. If it's your only choice at a Mexican restaurant go for it.

01-24-2013 00:32:11 | More by boilermakerbrew
William295

3.88/5  rDev +24.4%

Dos Equis Amber,
The taste is of a traditional lager though with a little more character. The color is a very pleasant clear amber. The beer pours with a small head that does not last long.
I highly recommend drinking the Amber on tap. It sells well at Mexican restaurants in the Greensboro, North Carolina area hence it always has a very fresh taste. I like a lime in my Dos Equis Amber but try it with and without and make your own decision.
It retains its fresh taste all the way to the end of a 34ounce glass. I have been drinking this beer reqularly for many years and have only been a little disappointed when consumed from a bottle. I have never been disappointed when served on tap. It goes well with any food and is a four season beer, as good when its cold outside as it is on a hot sunny day.
I am rating it as high as I am because for some reason I never tire of asking for a DEA and I can't wait to have a frosted mug of it placed in front of me with chips and salsa.

12-24-2012 06:47:58 | More by William295
Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.