Dos Equis Amber Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Vienna Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Amber Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 716 | Hads: 2,669
4.66/5  rDev +50.8%

appearance; as the name says, amber in color, a dark amber with a white head. Dissipates quickly but leaves a nice collar of froth and a film on the surface.

smell; tart grape-like malts, smells a little like white wine with some Altbier mixed in it.

taste; gentle hops and malts, balance could not be more perfect. Some alcohol in there to. It almost whats to take on a tart sourness but the perfect balance stops it before it gets overwhelming. A little bit of dry crisp bread in the aftertaste with a hint of cloudberry jam. This is wonderful!!!

mouthfeel; piercing carbonation and alcohol burn, ultra crip but smooth in a sharp way.

drinkability; very drinkable because it's delicious, well done indeed!

4.37/5  rDev +41.4%

Possibly the best beer to drink if you're incredibly thirsty.

Nothing screams Dos Equis better than with a plate of tasty enchiladas in front of you. Personally I enjoy Dos Equis better on tap than out of the bottle.

Appearance is very dark and brown, with a good amount of head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is strong, but not overpowering. There's a faint hint of malts and barley, but as mentioned before, nothing too strong to affect its flavor.

Taste is magnificent. While the aftertaste comes and goes quickly, when it hits your lips for the first time, a wave of instant relief washes over and kills any thirst from the get go. This is a great "go to" beer that is pretty cheap on tap and moderately heavy beer without going overboard.

I seriously down about 2 tall mugs of this stuff every time I head out to the local Mexican restaurant. For only $3 you practically get two pints worth of this stuff and it's definitely a steal. It's a great summer beer!

4.35/5  rDev +40.8%

This is a great beer. Dos Equis is a truely great brand in the world of 7 dollar six packs, and with their Amber beer, they hit a unique style of flavorful brew and melds perfectly with any spicy meal. Not only is it flavorful, it is drinkable, so if you are going for the gold this is a winner in all respects. If you are a drinker of light beers and affordable pilsners, this may come across a bit too dark, but it is an excellent gateway to stronger beers while remaining in the mild, drinkable category.

4.33/5  rDev +40.1%

A: Dos X pours a brownish amber with an off-white head. The head is minimal but just enough to look enticing.

S: The smell is faint but good. There is a hint of malt.

T: The taste is great. I usually prefer more robust beers, but this one just holds a special place in my heart due to its simplicity. Dos X is much more enjoyable to me on-tap, so order it that way!

M: This beer goes down smoothly without leaving an aftertaste. Dos X is very refreshing without seeming watered down.

D: It's a tasty brew that pairs well with numerous dishes, is light enough to be enjoyed on a patio, yet has enough character to stand up to other, more complex beers.

(It doesn't hurt that you can find these things on special at different Mexican joints in 32 oz mugs... hell to the yea!)

4.3/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On a recent fishing trip I had occasion to taste a lot of different beers. Honestly, one of the best I had was a pint of this on tap. Not normally a fan of Mexican beers but this was an exception.

4.3/5  rDev +39.2%

This beer has a great combination of the creamy and slightly bitter taste that I enjoy in darker beers combined with a citriussy taste that I enjoy in mexican beer.

It pours an impressive dark body with a strong yet pleasent nose. The taste is crisp and inviting with none of the brackish after taste that you get sometimes.

4.28/5  rDev +38.5%

another vienna lager from mexico, brewer country in latin america rich in this beer style, this beer is exceptional but not over negra modelo, servin type in bottles and in nitro tap, is popular in the waist of my country, but since the fusion of great breweries Cuauhtemoc and Moctezuma, are distributed and enjoyed across the country, not sold like his sister XX lager (The Gren bottle) is powerfull in its drinkability and smell lilke a real vienna lager ancient heritage of the veracruzans brewemasters.

4.28/5  rDev +38.5%

I've been looking forward to reviewing this one for awhile. It is among my favorite beers, and is probably my favorite Mexican. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: deep gold with a quickly dissipating head.

Smell: a light malt aroma.

Taste: caramel flavors and some sweetness, but not too sweet. Just bitter enough to be interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with a nice, moderate level of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite drinkin' beers and I can drink this stuff all day and all night. While I actually haven't had a Dos Equis Amber in awhile, I'm finding myself really enjoying this one.

4.15/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Doc Equis Amber Lager is my favorite "anytime" beer. I buy this anytime I spend more that a minute staring into a beer cooler. It's a safe bet that I'll enjoy it and the beer will complement whatever I'm eating. It's much better in flavor than Sam Adams (in my opinion), less expensive, and more pleasant to drink. I think it's quite flavorful and has a pleasant "finish" that sort of wafts around my palate. Gracias!

4.1/5  rDev +32.7%

Have got to admit, after drinking two 40 oz. mugs of this every Saturday at the Mexican restuarnt for the past 15 years I guess I would have to say I have a good relationship with this brew! Better than the average American swill(BMC) this stuff actually tastes pretty decent and goes down real clean. So.... If yer out gettin some enchaladas and such don't be afraid to check this one out, Stay Thirsty My Friends!

4.05/5  rDev +31.1%

12oz longneck bottle with a lime; on tap in goblet with a lime, etc.

Nice light amber color.

Toasted, floral sweetness.

Nice, light refreshing taste. If you add the lime you almost feel a touch of saltiness. Could have a little more carbonation.

Good body, not very heavy, but not as light as bud light, etc.

My favorite mexican import. Great with mexican food - chips, salsa, etc.

4.02/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no head really. It was amber, duh. It smelled of malt, no surprise. The flavor, well, it's malty. Had a zesty mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Very drinkable. It washed down our tacos quite nicely. After two it started tasting a lot like Brooklyn Lager. I never noticed this. Maybe it was just lager lag.

4.01/5  rDev +29.8%

I just bought a keg of this. Note that most if not all good Mexican restaurants will have this on tap, and most of not all will serve with a wedge of lime. Do not put lime in your beer. Please.

A nice caramel color, opaque but not muddy. Well laced after the foam settles, which is quickly.

A dry taste, which is deceptive. One imagines that a darker beer would be lush. Gravelly finish - this is a brew that will put hair on your chest.

Arguably the best Mexican macro out there. Highly recommended, as we turn the corner into summer.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I usually don't drink Dos Equis. However, I really enjoyed this beer with my steak fajitas. Dos Equis Amber has a thick, frothy, off-white head and a pretty and very clear amber appearance. Carbonation is moderate to high and lacing is minimal. The aroma is an appetizing combination of breadiness and malt. Taste is a mild and good balance of barley and hops. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Dos Equis Amber finishes crisp and refreshing, but not particularly dry. I would certainly have this one again.

Well, nothing special to say about it. IT is like the other lager beers, but a little more bitter. One of the elderest beers in Mexico, perhaps. Hops are obviuosly there, although with a little foam. The taste is ok for a while, but it is easy to get tired of it.

22 oz. in mug.

A: Nice amber color with not much head, little lacing.

S: Good fresh not much there a little malt and grains.

T: Crisp with the tiniest hint of sweetness. A little hint of malt to but ever so slight dudes. Very refreshing and mild beer. Perfect with spicy food.

M: I could use a bit more body but this beer isn't bad.

D: I really like this beer and usually have two grande sizes when I frequent my favorite Mexican joints. I took some notes the last time I had a glass. This beer goes down better than most other beers in my opinion.
Its rather meek and mild, but it pairs really well with food and thats why I give her an A!

One of my all time favorites! I prefer it with the lime, but it's still good without it, unlike some Mexican beers.

The color is a rich amber brown, and with an added lime it's got a great amber/citrus flavor.

I have spent many nights ordering nothing but Dos Equis Amber. The lager is good too, but the amber is the real good stuff.

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

This beer is a one of my go-too's when i'm eating mexican. Pours a deep amber color. nice off-white head. smells of grain, rice, lime, and barley. tastes the same. mouthfeel is light to moderate fullness. this beer is solid. nothing off color. it's well rounded and perfect for mexi-pairing. by itself on a hot summer day with a lime (yes, it's ok. it's your beer. do with it what you will. i like it with and without. depends on my mood.) cheers.

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 1" off white head that drops quickly with very minimal lacing. Color is a clear, deep amber with some moderate streaming carbonation.
Aroma: very mild -- a bit of corn, a hint of caramel
Mouthfeel: light, quite frothy, with a easy dry finish.
Flavor: nice combination of caramel, a bit of nuttiness, whole wheat bread, with a small hop bitterness in the back end.
Overall: very pleasant, easy drinking. Pairs terrifically with spicy Mexican cuisine.

3.96/5  rDev +28.2%

Perhaps the best lager from Mexico, it has a nice brown color and is good with or without food. The mild flavor has bready caramel notes shark†eristic if the style.

3.96/5  rDev +28.2%

$1.23 special.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance.

Appearance (4) : The head seems to just stick to itself like some kind of sci-fi film. It was cool to watch. There's a giant bubble on top about the size of a 50 cent piece. Not sure what that's about. Oops, it popped. 1 finger oatmeal-colored head that leaves an impressionable amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. It sits on top of a dark fiery amber hue, at an impressive 80% opacity only showing the shadow of my hand on the other side when held up to the light. I was expecting much less for this beer. A solid 4.

Smell (3.5) : A familiar smell. Maybe Amber Bock-ish? Maybe Blue Moon Seasonal...ish. Anyways, it's spiced, some coriander, has plenty of barley malt,with supplements of oatmeal, wheat, and corn. Maybe some rice. If this is all true to my nose we've got a lot of adjuncts. But perhaps I'm confused. Some faint faint citrus notes but I would call them fruity, not hoppy.

Taste (4.25) : Yeasty, bready, delicious. This was a good pick. The finish has a great yeasty bread dough flavor to it and some buttered bread. Wow, I like this a lot. Lots of malt character with graininess and fresh bread. Ends smooth and clean.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Crisp, smooth, dry, clean.

Overall (3.96) : I'm a chatterbox tonight. Sorry for the long review. This is one of my top ambers now. Next time I see it for a good price I'll pick up a six or twelve. I was not expecting this as I typically don't like mexican style beers. But this one somehow rises above. Lovely yeasty bread dough with a slight sour malt character. Bravo (in every sense of the word)!

3.95/5  rDev +27.8%

I am at my nadir, reviewing a beer from a bottle that I have not yet been able to score in a CAN! O, the shame of it all and there is talk of booting me out of The CANQuest (TM) for failure to adhere to core policies. Please, CAN somebody find a CAN of this beer for me?!?

From the bottle: "Crafted in Mexico since 1897 to commemorate the arrival of the 'XX' century, 'Dos Equis' stands for 'Two X's' in Spanish. In our second century of fine brewing tradition, we continue offering Dos Equis Amber, a rich, robust flavored beer with the smooth drinkability of a classic dark-style lager. A true Mexican work of art."

Okay, first off, what Diego Rivera and Frieda Kahlo produced were "true Mexican work[s] of art", this is just a simple beer. Second, if you need to have the beer's name translated for you, I can only shake my head in disbelief. It's right there on the label and it does not "stand for", it actually means Two X's! Third, "dark" is not a style. End of rant.

I have to cop to being impressed by the finger-and-a-half of thick deep-tan head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was a gorgeous coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a caramel sweetness, very nice and very unexpected. Mouthfeel was medium with a mildly malty sweetness on the tongue. Finish was semi-dry and quite drinkable, plus the lacing it left behind was also notable. Now, I am doubly interested in trying it from a CAN. This was good, not great, but still ...

3.93/5  rDev +27.2%

Me and my boy Jones went by one of our three favorite beer-buying establishments last week, and I bought two six-packs of the Dos Equis Amber Lager...and I had forgotten just how really good that this beer tastes. I think my exact words were "wow, I have forgotten how freaking good this beer tastes!" This is definitely my go-to beer for any occasion. It has a nice amber color, and is just very "smooth". My boy Jones always orders a Dos Equis Amber draft beer at the local Mexican restaurant (I usually get a Negra Modelo, because you can't find it just least here in no-where-ville Missouri!).

If you are new to "beer snob-e-ness" and want to try a nice amber beer - this is the one...not Michelob Amber Bock....oh, sorry, that's for another review!

3.92/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured without much head but had a good lacing effect. Brownish-red in color and clear. Tiny bubbles stayed for quite a while.

Liked the aroma of malt. Grain mixed a little with slight hoppiness.

Taste again followed the indications of what was to come from the aroma. Hops came through a little better and I liked the malt.

Pleasant and medium weight with no off flavors.

Enjoyed this beer with a slice of lime. Did not see much difference either way as it did just as well without the lime.

3.92/5  rDev +26.9%

Dos Equis, reviewed as a Vienna Lager, googled at 4.8% ABV
11/16/08, draft in a taster glass @ Mellow Mushroom Pizza in Jacksonville, FL
A 3.5 - Copper golden color, ok lacing, no head (I think it's the glass)
S 4.0 - A big malt aroma, background of subtle hops & spicy-ness (semi earthy smell)
T 4.0 - Malty balanced with minor hop presence - but hops are there
MF 3.5 - medium body, medium+ carbo, a bit more carbonation than I would prefer
D 4.0 - good balance, I enjoyed the malty subtle hop presence

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.