Dos Equis Amber Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

good

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Amber Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,627 | Reviews: 756

Can drink this beer like its my job.

Best beer ever........bar none! Beer nerds better recognize!

Undoubtedly the finest beer I have ever tasted.... Surpassed only by Tres Equis

4.76/5  rDev +53.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good summertime beer. Light and easy to go down.

4.7/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Overall a good mexican beer.

4.66/5  rDev +49.8%

appearance; as the name says, amber in color, a dark amber with a white head. Dissipates quickly but leaves a nice collar of froth and a film on the surface.

smell; tart grape-like malts, smells a little like white wine with some Altbier mixed in it.

taste; gentle hops and malts, balance could not be more perfect. Some alcohol in there to. It almost whats to take on a tart sourness but the perfect balance stops it before it gets overwhelming. A little bit of dry crisp bread in the aftertaste with a hint of cloudberry jam. This is wonderful!!!

mouthfeel; piercing carbonation and alcohol burn, ultra crip but smooth in a sharp way.

drinkability; very drinkable because it's delicious, well done indeed!

4.37/5  rDev +40.5%

Possibly the best beer to drink if you're incredibly thirsty.

Nothing screams Dos Equis better than with a plate of tasty enchiladas in front of you. Personally I enjoy Dos Equis better on tap than out of the bottle.

Appearance is very dark and brown, with a good amount of head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is strong, but not overpowering. There's a faint hint of malts and barley, but as mentioned before, nothing too strong to affect its flavor.

Taste is magnificent. While the aftertaste comes and goes quickly, when it hits your lips for the first time, a wave of instant relief washes over and kills any thirst from the get go. This is a great "go to" beer that is pretty cheap on tap and moderately heavy beer without going overboard.

I seriously down about 2 tall mugs of this stuff every time I head out to the local Mexican restaurant. For only $3 you practically get two pints worth of this stuff and it's definitely a steal. It's a great summer beer!

4.35/5  rDev +39.9%

This is a great beer. Dos Equis is a truely great brand in the world of 7 dollar six packs, and with their Amber beer, they hit a unique style of flavorful brew and melds perfectly with any spicy meal. Not only is it flavorful, it is drinkable, so if you are going for the gold this is a winner in all respects. If you are a drinker of light beers and affordable pilsners, this may come across a bit too dark, but it is an excellent gateway to stronger beers while remaining in the mild, drinkable category.

4.33/5  rDev +39.2%

A: Dos X pours a brownish amber with an off-white head. The head is minimal but just enough to look enticing.

S: The smell is faint but good. There is a hint of malt.

T: The taste is great. I usually prefer more robust beers, but this one just holds a special place in my heart due to its simplicity. Dos X is much more enjoyable to me on-tap, so order it that way!

M: This beer goes down smoothly without leaving an aftertaste. Dos X is very refreshing without seeming watered down.

D: It's a tasty brew that pairs well with numerous dishes, is light enough to be enjoyed on a patio, yet has enough character to stand up to other, more complex beers.

(It doesn't hurt that you can find these things on special at different Mexican joints in 32 oz mugs... hell to the yea!)

4.3/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On a recent fishing trip I had occasion to taste a lot of different beers. Honestly, one of the best I had was a pint of this on tap. Not normally a fan of Mexican beers but this was an exception.

4.3/5  rDev +38.3%

This beer has a great combination of the creamy and slightly bitter taste that I enjoy in darker beers combined with a citriussy taste that I enjoy in mexican beer.

It pours an impressive dark body with a strong yet pleasent nose. The taste is crisp and inviting with none of the brackish after taste that you get sometimes.

4.28/5  rDev +37.6%

another vienna lager from mexico, brewer country in latin america rich in this beer style, this beer is exceptional but not over negra modelo, servin type in bottles and in nitro tap, is popular in the waist of my country, but since the fusion of great breweries Cuauhtemoc and Moctezuma, are distributed and enjoyed across the country, not sold like his sister XX lager (The Gren bottle) is powerfull in its drinkability and smell lilke a real vienna lager ancient heritage of the veracruzans brewemasters.

4.28/5  rDev +37.6%

I've been looking forward to reviewing this one for awhile. It is among my favorite beers, and is probably my favorite Mexican. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: deep gold with a quickly dissipating head.

Smell: a light malt aroma.

Taste: caramel flavors and some sweetness, but not too sweet. Just bitter enough to be interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with a nice, moderate level of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite drinkin' beers and I can drink this stuff all day and all night. While I actually haven't had a Dos Equis Amber in awhile, I'm finding myself really enjoying this one.

4.15/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Doc Equis Amber Lager is my favorite "anytime" beer. I buy this anytime I spend more that a minute staring into a beer cooler. It's a safe bet that I'll enjoy it and the beer will complement whatever I'm eating. It's much better in flavor than Sam Adams (in my opinion), less expensive, and more pleasant to drink. I think it's quite flavorful and has a pleasant "finish" that sort of wafts around my palate. Gracias!

4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

Have got to admit, after drinking two 40 oz. mugs of this every Saturday at the Mexican restuarnt for the past 15 years I guess I would have to say I have a good relationship with this brew! Better than the average American swill(BMC) this stuff actually tastes pretty decent and goes down real clean. So.... If yer out gettin some enchaladas and such don't be afraid to check this one out, Stay Thirsty My Friends!

4.05/5  rDev +30.2%

12oz longneck bottle with a lime; on tap in goblet with a lime, etc.

Nice light amber color.

Toasted, floral sweetness.

Nice, light refreshing taste. If you add the lime you almost feel a touch of saltiness. Could have a little more carbonation.

Good body, not very heavy, but not as light as bud light, etc.

My favorite mexican import. Great with mexican food - chips, salsa, etc.

4.02/5  rDev +29.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no head really. It was amber, duh. It smelled of malt, no surprise. The flavor, well, it's malty. Had a zesty mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Very drinkable. It washed down our tacos quite nicely. After two it started tasting a lot like Brooklyn Lager. I never noticed this. Maybe it was just lager lag.

4.01/5  rDev +28.9%

I just bought a keg of this. Note that most if not all good Mexican restaurants will have this on tap, and most of not all will serve with a wedge of lime. Do not put lime in your beer. Please.

A nice caramel color, opaque but not muddy. Well laced after the foam settles, which is quickly.

A dry taste, which is deceptive. One imagines that a darker beer would be lush. Gravelly finish - this is a brew that will put hair on your chest.

Arguably the best Mexican macro out there. Highly recommended, as we turn the corner into summer.

Nice, refreshing beer that goes down smooth.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I usually don't drink Dos Equis. However, I really enjoyed this beer with my steak fajitas. Dos Equis Amber has a thick, frothy, off-white head and a pretty and very clear amber appearance. Carbonation is moderate to high and lacing is minimal. The aroma is an appetizing combination of breadiness and malt. Taste is a mild and good balance of barley and hops. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Dos Equis Amber finishes crisp and refreshing, but not particularly dry. I would certainly have this one again.

RJT

Nice substantial body, without being heavy. Great choice with any Mexican dish, and is probably better with food than alone.

Well, nothing special to say about it. IT is like the other lager beers, but a little more bitter. One of the elderest beers in Mexico, perhaps. Hops are obviuosly there, although with a little foam. The taste is ok for a while, but it is easy to get tired of it.

22 oz. in mug.

A: Nice amber color with not much head, little lacing.

S: Good fresh not much there a little malt and grains.

T: Crisp with the tiniest hint of sweetness. A little hint of malt to but ever so slight dudes. Very refreshing and mild beer. Perfect with spicy food.

M: I could use a bit more body but this beer isn't bad.

D: I really like this beer and usually have two grande sizes when I frequent my favorite Mexican joints. I took some notes the last time I had a glass. This beer goes down better than most other beers in my opinion.
Its rather meek and mild, but it pairs really well with food and thats why I give her an A!

One of my all time favorites! I prefer it with the lime, but it's still good without it, unlike some Mexican beers.

The color is a rich amber brown, and with an added lime it's got a great amber/citrus flavor.

I have spent many nights ordering nothing but Dos Equis Amber. The lager is good too, but the amber is the real good stuff.

Why is so heavenly good on draft with a lime and some chips and salsa?

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.