Dos Equis Amber Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

good

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Amber Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 710 | Hads: 2,636
3.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Nice, rich but thin brown color.

S - Caramel prominent, and hints of citrus

T - Caramel and woody flavors.

M - Full feeling, very nice linger.

Overall, a very nice beer with interesting flavor profile that leaves a pleasant taste. Good bar beer to have with bar food and watch a game, and goes good with lime wedge. (324 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Appearance: Pours a clear brownish amber with a one-finger white head. Leaves some decent lacing and the head has nice retention.

Aroma: There's really not much here. Some maltiness, some bread, some very faint hops.

Taste: This has a very mild, inoffensive taste. It's pretty forgettable. There's some malt flavor, but it's pretty unremarkable. If you like mild, close-to-flavorless cookout beer, 1) why? and 2) this is it.

Mouthfeel: Pretty flimsy, especially for a dark beer.

Overall: This is one of those beers where I just don't understand the appeal. It's not bad in the way bad beers are bad - meaning it's not funky or full of adjuncts or super watered-down. But it's also thoroughly eclipsed by so many other options (Sam Adams flagship is the same style, probably around the same price point and is so much better than this). I don't always drink beer, but when I do, prefer it to taste like something. (952 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Doc Equis Amber Lager is my favorite "anytime" beer. I buy this anytime I spend more that a minute staring into a beer cooler. It's a safe bet that I'll enjoy it and the beer will complement whatever I'm eating. It's much better in flavor than Sam Adams (in my opinion), less expensive, and more pleasant to drink. I think it's quite flavorful and has a pleasant "finish" that sort of wafts around my palate. Gracias! (417 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a glass.

A-deep beautiful copper color that u can't see through. Not much of a head.

S-toasty malts

T-rich grainy taste

M-clean finish, medium bodied

O-one of the best lagers I've ever had in my extremely limited tasting experience. Other lagers I've had didn't have the flavor this one did (308 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium to dark amber in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some copper highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy foamy off-white head that reduces to a large patch of thin film covering almost the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted malts and caramel with lighter aromas of corn adjuncts.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts with just a hint of corn adjuncts and a light amount of sweetness. Minimal amounts of bitterness in the finish which does not linger for long.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Relatively smooth.

O: Seems kind of like a hybrid of a Vienna Lager and an American Adjunct Lager, certainly not one of my favorite brews but not horrible. Easy to drink and pairs well with spicy foods. (970 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

The beer comes in a light red ruby.

The aroma has a toasted malt, but loaded with stale grains and corn.

The flavor is empty with a hint of sweetness and toasted malt flavor, but then onto a very unappealing metallic, mineral finish. The harshness of that flavor in the back is really hard to get past.

I would actually prefer their lager because it is even less bold in flavor, bad flavor. (393 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle marked 3029484FE1428 01293 at 45 degrees into imperial pint glass.
Aroma of lightly toasted malt
Head small (2 cm), light brown, somewhat fizzy, rapidly diminishing to a splotchy layer 1 – 2 mm thick
Lacing good, forming partial rings 1.5 cm wide of mostly small bubbles
Body medium amber, clear
Flavor of toasted malt, no alcohol, no hops, slight diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

This is actually a decent beer, very flavorful and refreshing, worlds better than the basic Dos Equis lager. I frequently have this (or Negra Modelo) at Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants. (602 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

Purchased a sixer to go with the tacos.

A: A nice amber with little head and fair retention. Lack of head hurts the score.

S: Pretty neutral really. Balanced hop and malt. Maybe some adjuncts. Not offensive though.

T: Nice balance and was a good complement to the dinner.

M: Smooth with the right amount of carbonation. Maybe a tad watery.

O: Not bad but not great. Goes well with spicy food. (397 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

How do I love Cinco de Mayo?...let me count the beers.
While many would ask why get a beer from Mexico, given their Corona experiences.
The first reason should be that Mexico actually has a German Immigrant beer history and the second reason is their food pairs so well with beer. XX Amber is my go to beer on tap or in a bottle when paired with spicy Mexican food.

XX Amber has a deep amber color and good carbonation. I believe carbonation is very important when eating spicy food. The tingle of the carbonation is great with the burn left from the hot peppers and spices. The beer head while rather small lasted to the end and covered the bottom of the empty glass. I enjoyed its rich taste, that was very good for a lager style beer.

So when you are eating a wonderful Mexican breakfast, avoid the pale ales, stouts, and IPAs and get a XX Amber lager... ...well before noon. Yes, I don't always drink beer before noon, but when I do....its a XX Amber. (959 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a schooner glass. It has a nice light amber hue with a very small white head that dissipates quickly. It has a very faint sweet smell. It has a light malty taste with a good sweetness to it. It has a smooth mouth feel with a lightly dry finish. Overall it is an ok beer. (297 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Reddish amber with off-white head that leaves moderate lace.
S: Caramel, toffee and malt nose.
T: Malty sweetness with a slight citrus presence.
M: Light bodied and well-carbonated. Smooth with a clean dry finish.
O: Decent Mexican beer--finally! (254 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +27.2%

Me and my boy Jones went by one of our three favorite beer-buying establishments last week, and I bought two six-packs of the Dos Equis Amber Lager...and I had forgotten just how really good that this beer tastes. I think my exact words were "wow, I have forgotten how freaking good this beer tastes!" This is definitely my go-to beer for any occasion. It has a nice amber color, and is just very "smooth". My boy Jones always orders a Dos Equis Amber draft beer at the local Mexican restaurant (I usually get a Negra Modelo, because you can't find it just everywhere...at least here in no-where-ville Missouri!).

If you are new to "beer snob-e-ness" and want to try a nice amber beer - this is the one...not Michelob Amber Bock....oh, sorry, that's for another review! (771 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Although a somewhat average beer, I find the Dos Equis Amber Lager to be a very refreshing and smooth beer. It has a good amount of taste and is not as watery as many beers of similar pricing. I find this beer to be the best of the beers that one can get a pint of for $3-4. Though it won't overwhelm you with complicated tastes and smells, it will refresh you and satisfy you. Goes well with a lime garnish and makes a hot summer day that much more pleasant. (459 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - OK - not much head

s - Good amber - somewhat lacking in aroma

t - Crisp refreshing beer. Perfect paring with most mexican food, which is what I enjoyed while drinking the beer.

m - good clean crisp beer

o - good beer for mexican food, or hot summer day. (262 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

Sampling right now on 2/15/14 but have this one several times in the past. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a clear amber with about a 1/2-finger off white head that settles down to just along the sides of the top of the brew and sides. Some very spotty lacing is seen.. Very light aroma of malts and caramel. The taste is the same with more malts coming through. A little 'watered-down' but decent. Overall smooth to drink with just a little bitterness for the finish. Overall, a decent brew. (554 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -2.3%

This is my "go-to" Mexican Beer for pairing with any spicy Mexican style dish.

A - A very clear light copper color. You can read through this stuff. Sets up a nice head that while fleeting results in some lacing.

S - Very neutral. Just a hint of grains, yeast and malt.

T - Dominated by the malt; very clean.

M - A little on the watery side but overall ok.

O - This is an overall refreshing Mexican beer. Good with spicy food and good after cutting the grass if it happens to be around. I'll never turn one down. (517 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aye, first review ever for me. Let's see how this goes...

I purchased this beer during happy hour at On The Border. They actually brought it out in a margarita glass, which I found kind of odd, but I was over it soon enough.

A - The first thing I should note is that the appearance of this beer is honestly quite lovely - Much better than expected. Perfectly clear. When looking down on it, it has a nice dark brownish-red color, and when held up to the light it looked like a nice dark whisky. Amber is definitely the word to describe it. Light carbonation, and zero head (who's to say how long it was waiting at the bar before the waitress brought it over), but it had a nice, thin lacing that stuck to the glass with every sip.

S - I got a bit of yeast and breadiness, a touch of hops and some minor grains - perhaps rice or corn - very, very subtle.

T - Taste follows the smell pretty well. Nice light-bodied beer, suitable for leisure-drinking, especially alongside Mexican food. Very subtle taste, but not watered down.

M - Again, it was quite subtle feeling on the tongue. Not too much carbonation, and it was pretty light-weight, but heavier than an adjunct lager would be. Refreshing and crisp - nice for cooling down when you hit a jalapeno seed.

O - Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I'm more of an ale drinker myself, so when I go to Mexican restaurants, I'm always slightly depressed when I can't order a good IPA to go with my meal. This one definitely lifted my spirits, and will probably be my new favorite when it comes to Latina brews. (1,577 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

been wanting to try this for a long time, a friend of mine loves the standard Dos Equis , but when I asked him if he had tried the amber he said he didn't like it .

well I just thought that he couldn't handle the flavor given that he mostly likes thin beers like standard Dos Equis ,Heineken ,standard becks, and becks sapphire (which is the most tasteless beer i have tasted , least offensive but flavorless... oh well this is about Dos Equis not my friend's preferences ,

the A) thin , red , like a red dos equis , or coors , basically lite and bubbly, accept coors has a head , this beer had no head whats so ever , very odd , even busch or budweiser pours to a head.

S) not much slighty malty but i didnt pick much up

T) to me almost slightly like cherry's , very thin and the abv is only 4.6 %
refreshing but no very refreshing . i wasn't impressed there just isn't a lot going on here ,

m) mixed bag it tastes vaguely og cherry's but the mouth feel doesn't really even feel like an amber idk disappointed , no head , the beer lacks girth and just feels like your drinking a flat beer ...

overall: frankly in my video review I didn't know if i wanted a standard Dos equis or amber dos equis but really with the standard , its more refreshing and lite crisp and well you know what your getting your self into , that being said im not a big fan , $9.60 for a 6 pack full price at safeway ridiculous i got it for $7.40 and even at that i feel ripped off , acually my father picked this up for me so i feel bad for him buying this ...

this isn't undrinkable just way over priced , id rather drink coors , miller , hams ,rolling rock , at least those beers are cheaper and have a head to them have more of a girth to them

and at wal-mart you can buy killion's irish red for $5.77 haven't had it but how can it be any worse than this ?

all in all unless you must try don't bet on this beer its over priced thin and frankly disappointing... (1,952 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Mariachi's in Albany, NY. Might as well try this one since I'm at a Mexican restaurant. When in Rome?

This is the better of the two Dos Equis lagers I know about (the "Special lager" being the other one) but is still pretty weak. I can imagine this wouldn't be that enjoyable without great Mexican food stacked up against it.

Pours a clear amber color, with a half inch head, visible carbonation, and not a whole lot of lacing.

This was poured ice cold, so only a little bit of caramelly type flavor is present, it's mostly just a straight up carbonated classic "beer" flavor, which is fine, I don't think this'll be great after it warms up. Gets a little grainy and astringent as it warms.

Medium bodied, slightly thin, it is however very crisp.

It is what it is. Decent when paired with food, but not great on its own. I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's probably not going to be Dos Equis. (918 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass. Body is coppery-amber with a smallish (half-finger) ecru-colored head on top. Some splotchy lace.

S: Caramel malt and cereal grains. Slightly minerally.

T: Inoffensive, though somewhat bland and a little bit too sweet. Modest toasted bread and some generic sweetness makes me wonder if corn is employed as an adjunct here. Slight minerally bitterness at the finish, but it doesn't cut through the overwhelming impression of sweetness.

M: Light in heft, carbonation is a bit too subdued, giving this a slightly oily feel.

O: This is decent for what it is. When you're at a Mexican restaurant eating spicy food, you could do far worse than to order this beer. I think it would do better with food than when drank on its own, as I'm doing now. (794 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

Great Session beer. Very smooth with a really good taste. Could drink like 7 of these in 1 session. very easy to drink beer and very tasty. Overall pretty good beer and I really enjoyed it. Bottle is better then Draft. I was very impressed about how great it went down and like it a great deal more than the regular Dos Equis (325 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear copper, amber, 1 finger of off white head that quickly dissipates.

S / T - not a big nose - mostly malt forward. Nice smooth malt on the palate, crisp and refreshing. This is a highly drinkable mexican lager. Light bodied - highly sessionable.

O - Solid brew to have on a hot summer day with a slice of lime. This is one of my go to session brews in the summer. (374 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Straw colored; pours out into a white frothy head that quickly dissipates into minimal lacing. Slight malty smell with hints of bubble gum and salt water taffy. A little malty in the front with a slight hop finish. Light to medium body. I like to drink this with Mexican cuisine; barely touch this otherwise. (308 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
Deep amber color, clear. Lots of small bubble rising up. Frothy, eggshell color head.

Aroma:
Malty, toasted, sweet, crisp, clean.

Taste:
Sweetness, toasted malts, grainy, just a touch of corn. Hop bitterness is light, leafy-herbal. Finish is crisp, clean, dry. Body is light, crisp, clean, refreshing, dry.

Overall:
It's a good beer. (348 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

Before I get into specifics, this beer is what I call a "home-field" beer. In other words, unless you drink it in Mexico, you really don't know how good it can be and have a legitimate level for comparison. I live within driving distance of Mexico, so I have had this beer on both sides of the frontera many times and it is demonstrably better (especially the green label) south of the border.

Just for info, I will never buy the green label on this side of the border due to the skunky condition that I have found it in far too many times. The Ambar doesn't seem to be affected by the importation anywhere near as often.

I find the appearance to be that of a classic lager, foamy and clear with steady bubbles upon opening. The usual opening smell is a signal of the smoothness of the upcoming taste: Not too strong, yet when the bottle is a fresh one, the odor has hints of alcoholic content. When the beer has the bottle-cappy smell right after popping the top, I advise to prepare for the first few drinks to be a rough experience. If fresh, it has a just-short-of-sharp first taste with light carbonation and a slight aftertaste that only lasts a second or two. I find Dos Equis Ambar to be refreshing and very good with food

Overall, I rate the beer higher than average and with the disclaimer that it has been one of my favorites for years now. Again, I will say that without exception, it is vastly better south of the border due to the obvious freshness of being a home-field beer. (1,493 characters)

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.