Dos Equis Amber Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Reviews: 728 | Ratings: 2,784
3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

How do I love Cinco de Mayo?...let me count the beers.
While many would ask why get a beer from Mexico, given their Corona experiences.
The first reason should be that Mexico actually has a German Immigrant beer history and the second reason is their food pairs so well with beer. XX Amber is my go to beer on tap or in a bottle when paired with spicy Mexican food.

XX Amber has a deep amber color and good carbonation. I believe carbonation is very important when eating spicy food. The tingle of the carbonation is great with the burn left from the hot peppers and spices. The beer head while rather small lasted to the end and covered the bottom of the empty glass. I enjoyed its rich taste, that was very good for a lager style beer.

So when you are eating a wonderful Mexican breakfast, avoid the pale ales, stouts, and IPAs and get a XX Amber lager... ...well before noon. Yes, I don't always drink beer before noon, but when I do....its a XX Amber.

3.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a schooner glass. It has a nice light amber hue with a very small white head that dissipates quickly. It has a very faint sweet smell. It has a light malty taste with a good sweetness to it. It has a smooth mouth feel with a lightly dry finish. Overall it is an ok beer.

3.48/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Reddish amber with off-white head that leaves moderate lace.
S: Caramel, toffee and malt nose.
T: Malty sweetness with a slight citrus presence.
M: Light bodied and well-carbonated. Smooth with a clean dry finish.
O: Decent Mexican beer--finally!

3.93/5  rDev +27.2%

Me and my boy Jones went by one of our three favorite beer-buying establishments last week, and I bought two six-packs of the Dos Equis Amber Lager...and I had forgotten just how really good that this beer tastes. I think my exact words were "wow, I have forgotten how freaking good this beer tastes!" This is definitely my go-to beer for any occasion. It has a nice amber color, and is just very "smooth". My boy Jones always orders a Dos Equis Amber draft beer at the local Mexican restaurant (I usually get a Negra Modelo, because you can't find it just everywhere...at least here in no-where-ville Missouri!).

If you are new to "beer snob-e-ness" and want to try a nice amber beer - this is the one...not Michelob Amber Bock....oh, sorry, that's for another review!

3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Although a somewhat average beer, I find the Dos Equis Amber Lager to be a very refreshing and smooth beer. It has a good amount of taste and is not as watery as many beers of similar pricing. I find this beer to be the best of the beers that one can get a pint of for $3-4. Though it won't overwhelm you with complicated tastes and smells, it will refresh you and satisfy you. Goes well with a lime garnish and makes a hot summer day that much more pleasant.

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - OK - not much head

s - Good amber - somewhat lacking in aroma

t - Crisp refreshing beer. Perfect paring with most mexican food, which is what I enjoyed while drinking the beer.

m - good clean crisp beer

o - good beer for mexican food, or hot summer day.

3.62/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled this one this evening on 8/27/15 but had it several times in the past as well as on tap at a few Mexican restaurants. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "CORONA EXTRA" pint glass.

brew pours a dark orangish-amber in color with a thin beige cap. Some spotty lacing is seen when sipped. Aroma is actually pretty light with some hints of caramel and toffee malts for the most part. Pretty much is said for the taste with some 'dark bread' type yeast also. Pretty smooth and a decent beer and I like it much better than their other one in the green bottle. A bit 'watered-down'. Lighter-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, one of the better Mexican brews .

3.02/5  rDev -2.3%

This is my "go-to" Mexican Beer for pairing with any spicy Mexican style dish.

A - A very clear light copper color. You can read through this stuff. Sets up a nice head that while fleeting results in some lacing.

S - Very neutral. Just a hint of grains, yeast and malt.

T - Dominated by the malt; very clean.

M - A little on the watery side but overall ok.

O - This is an overall refreshing Mexican beer. Good with spicy food and good after cutting the grass if it happens to be around. I'll never turn one down.

3.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aye, first review ever for me. Let's see how this goes...

I purchased this beer during happy hour at On The Border. They actually brought it out in a margarita glass, which I found kind of odd, but I was over it soon enough.

A - The first thing I should note is that the appearance of this beer is honestly quite lovely - Much better than expected. Perfectly clear. When looking down on it, it has a nice dark brownish-red color, and when held up to the light it looked like a nice dark whisky. Amber is definitely the word to describe it. Light carbonation, and zero head (who's to say how long it was waiting at the bar before the waitress brought it over), but it had a nice, thin lacing that stuck to the glass with every sip.

S - I got a bit of yeast and breadiness, a touch of hops and some minor grains - perhaps rice or corn - very, very subtle.

T - Taste follows the smell pretty well. Nice light-bodied beer, suitable for leisure-drinking, especially alongside Mexican food. Very subtle taste, but not watered down.

M - Again, it was quite subtle feeling on the tongue. Not too much carbonation, and it was pretty light-weight, but heavier than an adjunct lager would be. Refreshing and crisp - nice for cooling down when you hit a jalapeno seed.

O - Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I'm more of an ale drinker myself, so when I go to Mexican restaurants, I'm always slightly depressed when I can't order a good IPA to go with my meal. This one definitely lifted my spirits, and will probably be my new favorite when it comes to Latina brews.

2.22/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

been wanting to try this for a long time, a friend of mine loves the standard Dos Equis , but when I asked him if he had tried the amber he said he didn't like it .

well I just thought that he couldn't handle the flavor given that he mostly likes thin beers like standard Dos Equis ,Heineken ,standard becks, and becks sapphire (which is the most tasteless beer i have tasted , least offensive but flavorless... oh well this is about Dos Equis not my friend's preferences ,

the A) thin , red , like a red dos equis , or coors , basically lite and bubbly, accept coors has a head , this beer had no head whats so ever , very odd , even busch or budweiser pours to a head.

S) not much slighty malty but i didnt pick much up

T) to me almost slightly like cherry's , very thin and the abv is only 4.6 %
refreshing but no very refreshing . i wasn't impressed there just isn't a lot going on here ,

m) mixed bag it tastes vaguely og cherry's but the mouth feel doesn't really even feel like an amber idk disappointed , no head , the beer lacks girth and just feels like your drinking a flat beer ...

overall: frankly in my video review I didn't know if i wanted a standard Dos equis or amber dos equis but really with the standard , its more refreshing and lite crisp and well you know what your getting your self into , that being said im not a big fan , $9.60 for a 6 pack full price at safeway ridiculous i got it for $7.40 and even at that i feel ripped off , acually my father picked this up for me so i feel bad for him buying this ...

this isn't undrinkable just way over priced , id rather drink coors , miller , hams ,rolling rock , at least those beers are cheaper and have a head to them have more of a girth to them

and at wal-mart you can buy killion's irish red for $5.77 haven't had it but how can it be any worse than this ?

all in all unless you must try don't bet on this beer its over priced thin and frankly disappointing...

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Mariachi's in Albany, NY. Might as well try this one since I'm at a Mexican restaurant. When in Rome?

This is the better of the two Dos Equis lagers I know about (the "Special lager" being the other one) but is still pretty weak. I can imagine this wouldn't be that enjoyable without great Mexican food stacked up against it.

Pours a clear amber color, with a half inch head, visible carbonation, and not a whole lot of lacing.

This was poured ice cold, so only a little bit of caramelly type flavor is present, it's mostly just a straight up carbonated classic "beer" flavor, which is fine, I don't think this'll be great after it warms up. Gets a little grainy and astringent as it warms.

Medium bodied, slightly thin, it is however very crisp.

It is what it is. Decent when paired with food, but not great on its own. I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's probably not going to be Dos Equis.

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass. Body is coppery-amber with a smallish (half-finger) ecru-colored head on top. Some splotchy lace.

S: Caramel malt and cereal grains. Slightly minerally.

T: Inoffensive, though somewhat bland and a little bit too sweet. Modest toasted bread and some generic sweetness makes me wonder if corn is employed as an adjunct here. Slight minerally bitterness at the finish, but it doesn't cut through the overwhelming impression of sweetness.

M: Light in heft, carbonation is a bit too subdued, giving this a slightly oily feel.

O: This is decent for what it is. When you're at a Mexican restaurant eating spicy food, you could do far worse than to order this beer. I think it would do better with food than when drank on its own, as I'm doing now.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

Great Session beer. Very smooth with a really good taste. Could drink like 7 of these in 1 session. very easy to drink beer and very tasty. Overall pretty good beer and I really enjoyed it. Bottle is better then Draft. I was very impressed about how great it went down and like it a great deal more than the regular Dos Equis

3.53/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like this beer. It is a simple beer that does not pretend to be overly fruity or hoppy. It is a great session beer and pairs well with the mexican fare often associated with it. If you are not a lager fan, perhaps you should venture on. There is a definite carmel taste and is not overwhelming but definite. The mouth feel for what that matters is a light richness. The finish is easy and not harsh. Lacing is qite apparent at least when drinking draft. Those that do not like the cane molasses dark flavor may not care for this product. With my kegerator getting tapped with this 1/2bbl on a few occasions. The guests quite enjoyed each time. Definitely a crowd pleaser. I'll say to all bartenders to quit giving the lime as this does overpower and turns it to a shandier beer.. i like lime in my Titos not lager.

3.52/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear copper, amber, 1 finger of off white head that quickly dissipates.

S / T - not a big nose - mostly malt forward. Nice smooth malt on the palate, crisp and refreshing. This is a highly drinkable mexican lager. Light bodied - highly sessionable.

O - Solid brew to have on a hot summer day with a slice of lime. This is one of my go to session brews in the summer.

2.15/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Straw colored; pours out into a white frothy head that quickly dissipates into minimal lacing. Slight malty smell with hints of bubble gum and salt water taffy. A little malty in the front with a slight hop finish. Light to medium body. I like to drink this with Mexican cuisine; barely touch this otherwise.

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
Deep amber color, clear. Lots of small bubble rising up. Frothy, eggshell color head.

Aroma:
Malty, toasted, sweet, crisp, clean.

Taste:
Sweetness, toasted malts, grainy, just a touch of corn. Hop bitterness is light, leafy-herbal. Finish is crisp, clean, dry. Body is light, crisp, clean, refreshing, dry.

Overall:
It's a good beer.

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

Before I get into specifics, this beer is what I call a "home-field" beer. In other words, unless you drink it in Mexico, you really don't know how good it can be and have a legitimate level for comparison. I live within driving distance of Mexico, so I have had this beer on both sides of the frontera many times and it is demonstrably better (especially the green label) south of the border.

Just for info, I will never buy the green label on this side of the border due to the skunky condition that I have found it in far too many times. The Ambar doesn't seem to be affected by the importation anywhere near as often.

I find the appearance to be that of a classic lager, foamy and clear with steady bubbles upon opening. The usual opening smell is a signal of the smoothness of the upcoming taste: Not too strong, yet when the bottle is a fresh one, the odor has hints of alcoholic content. When the beer has the bottle-cappy smell right after popping the top, I advise to prepare for the first few drinks to be a rough experience. If fresh, it has a just-short-of-sharp first taste with light carbonation and a slight aftertaste that only lasts a second or two. I find Dos Equis Ambar to be refreshing and very good with food

Overall, I rate the beer higher than average and with the disclaimer that it has been one of my favorites for years now. Again, I will say that without exception, it is vastly better south of the border due to the obvious freshness of being a home-field beer.

3.71/5  rDev +20.1%

I've decided to change my review approach - and I get to do it with Dos XX Amber Lager - a surprisingly good beer.

Beautiful dark caramel to burnt-Orange color that builds a short lightly tanned head with little staying power. Interestingly though, the beer had good lacing down the glass. Not much but your normal scents of malts and barley, but it had a bold taste. I could distinctly tell coriander, cinnamon, and a citrus - most probably lemon - it all mixed with each other good, refreshing. Overall, it was a good beer except for it's lack of olfactory presence. I'm glad I had stayed thirst my friends, glad indeed.

If you're gonna drink, please, don't drive. And if you drive, for cryin' out loud, do us all a favor and don't drink...stay safe...

3.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A moderate-aggressive pour from a long neck into an 8 ounce sampler produces hardly any head at all, which disappears entirely almost immediately. The color is a pale copper. I smell a nice light malt flavor with hardly a whiff of hops. The taste is light, yet pretty malty and sweet, with just a kiss of hops. Nice sweet, malty aftertaste as well, with minimum bitterness. The mouthfeel is fairly creamy, despite the light body and general lack of head and/or carbonation.

I'm not sure that I've had another of this particular style, but I've been drinking these occasionally for a long time. They definitely go good with Mexican cuisine, and also make a good session brew.

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: pint glass from bottle

A: Amber like the name. Not a lot of head

S: Pretty weak. Little bit of Malt and caramel maybe

T: Sweet caramel, with not a lot of after taste

M: Pretty good carbonation

Overall: I like the sweet taste in the beginning but the after taste was kind of weak with the smell.

2.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had a bottle of this with some Mexican food at Chevy's.

The beer is clear and amber with a small white head. Weak aroma. What's there is adjuncts, grain, lager type scents. Pretty clean flavor initially with a bit of corn and grain harshness in the finish. When paired with saucy and spicy food, this flaw is disguised to some degree. A tad sweet with some fruity malt. OK.

2.75/5  rDev -11%

Reviewed: 14 October 2013...
Glassware: Warsteiner pokal...
Occasion: first full week of school, completed....
Appearance: amber indeed, with a small but noteable white head; uneven tracing as the glass drains...
Aroma: roasted malts--not the kind that awaken nostrils--are teemed with some Saaz hops and oats--a Vienna lager, basically...
Palate: medium-bodied, relatively smooth start and finish; drinkable and pairs well with late-night snacks...
Taste: a back-end maltiness lingers, but otherwise, a swift taste-and-go kind of beer...
Overall: a bit nutty and adds to its complexity as the drink finishes; not the mouth rinse its XX brother is but not much else going on beyond its extended body...

2.34/5  rDev -24.3%

From notes:
Had this beer in Mexico, where the bottle label spells it Ambar.
Pours a brown light body with a light fizzy head that last 10 seconds before dissipating.
Smell has a medium level aroma of roasted malts but no hop aroma to speak of.
Tastes like your average adjunct lager
Does not resemble and amber in taste, maybe in Mexico it has a different definition, but yea it tastes more like your bud light or miller, or I guess the regular version of dos Equis. Might as well be brown food coloring that gave its amber color.
Average mouthfeel.
Overall if I had a regular dos Equis available to taste along with it, I'm sure they would be different but this one just has that light beer flavor with maybe a little bit extra.

3.27/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I always drink this beer with Mexican food. It's my Mexican lager of choice. And oddly for a vienna lager, I always add a lime wedge and drink from the bottle Corona style.

I just think this beer pairs perfectly with spicy mexican. The spicier the better.

By itself, it's an average beer. In the Vienna Lager style, I much prefer the Menabria 150°.

But I'll continue to order this with Mexican when it's available.

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.