Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 559 | Hads: 2,426

This was horrific. Corn and adjcunts aplenty, watery mouthfeel, Typical Mexican yellow as piss lager. Some plastic flavours pop up every now and then. Luckily i had the footy to watch to distract me from the weak as piss Mexican lager, this is easily just as bad as corona. (273 characters)

First had: bottle in a gift set

Basically, a better alternative to Corona. So still crap.
Poured like a typical macro: straw color, thin head that fizzled out, fizzy carbonation. Rancid aroma, mulched grass and stale hops, which carried through in the taste. Light, watered down mouthfeel with no real flavor at all. Sickeningly sweet aftertaste with lots of funk and skunk. Too be avoided. (391 characters)

This beer sucks. Horrible lingering after taste. Tried it twice thinking maybe I had a bad batch the first time. But nope, it's just nasty all the time. You want a cheap beer to party with?? Tecate it's cheaper then this shit and way better. (241 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -61.4%

I am going to review this beer and be constructive, but let the record show that this is perhaps the worst beer I have ever had in my entire life. On to the constructive critiques:

A: Very pale yellow with a one-finger head. Died quickly with no retention.

S: Musky, skunky smell of stale grains.

T: The smell translated to the flavor; LOTS of stale grain and very watery.

M: Extremely light, silky smooth.

O: I got this in a "Build your own six-pack" special, and even with low expectations I did not enjoy this one bit. It was like a mexican pissed into a glass bottle, filled the rest with water, froze it, and shipped it to my liquor store. If given this beer for free, I would actually refuse. It tasted as bad as it smelled with its musk and watery smell, and nothing set this beer apart from other adjuncts. I apologize if this was a slammer, but I honestly have nothing positive to say about this beer and felt my review should show my honesty. (958 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -60.3%

Look: Straw yellow 1/8 inch head and no retention

Smell: Smells like dirty water that you find in Mexico

Taste: Same as the nose just awful dirty bong water flavor

Mouthfeel: Thin and fairly carbonated

Overall: Just a awful beer why do people buy this shit (260 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -57%

Appearance- Dos Equis is literally perfectly transparent. It has a straw color to it with a decent amount of carbonation. With an aggressive pour into a American Adjunct Lager glass a 1.5 finger head appears and disappears within about thirty seconds and there is not lacing on the glass.

Smell- With my first few sniffs of this beer I can strongly detect a lot of rice in the making of this beer. After I get passed all of the grainy/rice smell, I really can detect a certain sweetness almost like a natural sugar smell.

Taste- Well, not much of anything. I hate to compare my beer to others, but it tastes like a Budweiser or a regular American Adjunct Lager. I expected something a bit different from a Mexican beer. It is overwhelming amounts of rice right off the tongue, with a sweet aftertaste. The aftertaste actually makes it worse I think which is usually not the case for me. Finally, I do sense a bit of skunkiness, probably because of the green bottle.

Mouthfeel- Very very light. Without the taste, I would say it is as close to water as it gets without being a light beer. Highly disappointed for this "specialty lager." CHEERS!

Overall- Really, after all of the fantastic advertising and cost of this beer I would have expected it to be a bit better. I really could not tell it apart from a regular macro brew. I would not recommend this to anyone, ever. (1,374 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -54.8%

Clear yellow and tan head. Aroma is corny and simple and very light. Appearance is a clear yellow with no head. Flavor is very light as well and has some bitter components. Mouthfeel is light bodied and has a harsh carbonation. Overall, I'm not too impressed, its drinkable but not very. Like most other Mexican beers it needs a lime. Even with a lime, not so good. (365 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -52.6%

"Gringo!" he barked "Go take your fancy princess beer and shove it up your burro!" His shrieks echoed in the dry heat, the heat was instigating him, rivers of sweat ran down his leathery face like veins. He was a man at the constant point of no return, one of us was going to burn. As he started walking towards me I found that I could not move, the smell of his sweat arrived a few yards before he did and I found myself paralyzed by this animal of a man, now just inches away. A primal beast that didn't care about anything but proving his dominance over others.

I felt the fear swelling up in my stomach, finding myself more and more hopeless with each stilted breath I took in. I decided then and there, to my own surprise that I wasn't going to cower down in fear, I clenched every muscle in my body, looked him in the eye and almost shouted "Listen buddy I am drinking a La Fin Du Monde, its ABV is 10% alright, that's more than most bee..." He cut me off with furious throaty laughter, his head reeled back as he let out howls of insanity. "HAHAHA you fool..." he quickly slapped my glass to the floor, shattering it, all the time his eyes locked on mine, his smile now turning to an sinister grimace.

I stood there and felt myself getting sick, like the air I was breathing was toxic, I knew I had to get out of there, I felt my life was now in serious danger. So I did something wild, I punched him straight in the jaw as hard as I could and ran out of the bar at cheetah pace. My sprint was cut short when two grizzly looking men stopped me at the exit, they caught me and held me by the arms, slowly dragging me back to the bar. As my legs slid across the dirty floor I found myself screaming for help, but my yells fell on deaf ears as all the patrons seemed to have left when this group had walked in - I should have noticed I thought, should have known.

I was a child at that point, so scared and helpless I felt like I was going to throw up. As they lifted me up back onto the bar stool, the apparent leader of the group, the one I had just so recently signed my death wish with only grinned at me, his gnarled yellow teeth clenched like a madmans. "Now chico, we are going to have fun. You are going to drink a mans beer, so pick up your pencil and notepad and write about...this shit." His friends laughed softly, knowingly, like I was about to experience a fiendish torture only left up to the imagination, I imagined it would be some sort of drug or poison, some kind of shady toxin that would have me curled up into a pool of blood before my ultimate demise. He marched to the bar, grabbed a bottle off the shelf and walked back towards me, I was seeing double at this point, half dazed at the thought of my life ending so oddly.

He set the bottle on the table and pulled the cap off with his bare wrists, when he did, he and his cronies flinched back a little, as if they feared even a drop of it would be spilled anywhere near them. Their eyes all locked on to the bottle with a sort of fearful concentration, as if it were a python waiting to pounce. As I shook the dizziness from my head I managed to focus in on the label. "Dos Equis" It must have been a joke I thought, I looked back at them but they didn't laugh, in fact I was absolutely sure that what I saw in their eyes was fear, a real instinctual fear that even these monsters were terrified by. "Now" he said slowly "Pick up the bottle, and drink it. Write down your review for us." I wasn't sure but I thought one of them made the sign of the cross as I poured the bottle into a glass.

Light yellow, head is fizzy and light and dissipates in seconds. As I stare into the yellowness I hear voices in my head, like shrieks of pain from ghosts telling me to turn back, turn back..

The smell makes me nauseous, it is an overly sweet skunky raunchy stench that overpowers all the hot sweat in the room and fills it with the scent of death, the bar now smells like an ancient crypt for skunks.

I lift the beer to my mouth and begin drinking, tears quickly form in my eyes. What is this? Why does this taste the way it does? Where is the goodness in life? The piss flavored grime contaminates my stomach with its cruel flavors. The liquid evil that I drink not only rapes my throat but my innocence, my faith in the world. This carbonated death was meant only to destroy, to defeat ones soul entirely.

The mouthfeel is light and overly carbonated. Awful, just awful.

I find myself alone. No where is there a trace of my captors or anyone else. I am a null in the void. I feel completely alone in the universe. There is no light in the darkness.... (4,634 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -49.6%

The flavor of this beer is...nonexistent. Seriously, I've had water with more flavor than this. The only reason they can call this beer is because the water's gone through some beer-like processing. (198 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -46.3%

OK so my New Years Resolution is to drink 52 different companys beers in 52 weeks (for example...not Bud and Bud light but just Bud)...
This beer was my week number 2 and I have to say I wish I would have picked something else.
I didnt like anything about this beer from the taste to the color-from the carbonation to the bad after taste that it left in my mouth.
I do however like the bottle art
and the commercials are really really cool.
The only really good thing about this beer is that I ran out and dont have to drink it ever again... (541 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -46.3%

12 ounce bottle from the Firm's Fridge. So far I've been through Guinness, Bass Pale Ale, Coor's Light and Newcastle Brown. I've Dos Equis, Corona, and Stella Artois left. Ugh, good thing I have some good stuff in the fridge at home.

Dark golden yellow color. Super weak white head. Lacing? Never heard of it. This is a glass of urine as far as appearances are concerned. A glass full of pee would probably yield better head and lacing come to think of it.

Smell? Yikes. I don't always understand what sophisticated reviewers mean when they say horse blanket smell, but this smells like horse manure mixed with straw. No joke here. Maybe some grain in there. Mixed with horse manure.

Luckily it doesn't taste like it smells. Grainy with a dry finish. And some other adjunct flavors in there - really inconsistent flavors and lots of garbage in here. This is not a very good beer and is becoming a very good candidate for a drainpour.

Standard adjunct lager mouthfeel - moderate body, slight crispness from carbonation but nothing to excite.

I hate to pour beer down the drain but I might just save myself the calories. Honestly, in terms of drinkability, I just might prefer a Coors Light over this one. Steer clear of them both. (1,234 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -46%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The Dos Equis poured a very light, clear yellow with a fizzy head that was very quickly completely gone. It has a skunky, yet slightly floral nose. It's very thin and watery. There is very little flavor, just a sweetish starch and some slight skunkiness. Overall, it's a little better than some macros, but not by much. (319 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -44.9%

I wanted to try something new. So, I asked the bartender for a bottle of Dos Equis. This beer had no body, not a whole lot of flavor, and the appearance was not memorable. My only lasting impression of this beer is that it tasted like dirty tap water. If it wasn't for the alcohol, I would not have known it was beer. However, their marketing campaign is amazing. Had it not been for those commercials, I would have never given it a try. (437 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sorry, this beer rates just below your run of the mill domestic mass produced brew that most of America beer drinkers find as normal beer. The head of one finger dissipated about as fast as it appeared, leaving nothing. The color is that of my morning "dew". Rating a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. The smell is very light and that of what I remember walking out in the barnyard in the morning as a child. The taste is about one step above water, some corn and malt, but nothing else. No mouth feel, no body, no zing, no pop. Maybe this is just a bad bottle. I am sorry to say, I will try to avoid this unless I must drink it to not hurt somebody's feelings. (658 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -44.5%

I personally did not care for this beer. It tasted very watery. I cannot give a fair analysis of the smell, appearance or mouthfeel because I don't remember it all that well as it has been a while since I've had it but the taste didn't do anything for me. (255 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -43%

Pale and golden. Weird aroma. Can't pinpoint what it is. Cornpops cereal I guess.

Fruit sweet taste, maybe some corn syrup Karo brand in the batch or something. No hops. Malt, if any, was roasted on a lukewarm sidewalk. Only thing big about this beer is the carbonation and price. Blech. (289 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -42.6%

This was legitimately the worst beer I've ever had.

Appearance: average adjunct. I like the appearance, but it's nothing special.

Smell: Some funk going on, but it doesn't warn me about what's going to happen when I actually taste it.

Taste: Worst taste ever. The aftertaste tastes the way burnt plastic smells. I have no idea how this taste got into the beer, but it's awful.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but not actively offensive.

Overall: Terrible, terrible beer. I'm more than willing to tolerate an adjunct lager, but not this. (537 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -41.9%

A thin yellow beer with crazy soda carbonation, not much smell, and a very thin grain taste with bitter bite and prominant booziness. Mothfeel is prettymuch like watery soda. Definately at the bottom of my list for Mexican lager. Move along folks, nothing to see here. (268 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

1st half of a verticle Dos Equis tasting ;-)...

Appearance: Clear gold body, no head, moderate visible carbonation.

Smell: Stale bread and cooked vegetables. Pretty bad, even for a Mexican beer.

Taste: Not a very strong flavor, but what there is is pretty bad, adjunct-corn, also some cereal graininess. Bad.

Drinkability: I will pass on this one ever again, and not recomend it to anyone. There are much better beers for the price. (444 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -40.8%

A: Pours a clear gold with a thin, fizzy white mousse.

S: Really neutral and sterile on the nose. Aromas of grain husks and lemony hops are just barely evident, even after the beer has settled and warmed.

T: Harsh notes of minerals, lemon, lime, grain husks, and cooked vegetables fill the mouth. The finish is fleeting with mineral and cooked vegetable notes.

M: Very thin, dry, and light-bodied. Carbonation is harsh and fizzy. Not particularly drinkable in my opinion.

O: This is another subpar lager. I honestly don't understand why this beer is so hyped by mainstream drinkers. (586 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Draft: Poured a golden yellow color lager with a medium white foamy head with average retention and some light lacing. Aroma of overly sweet adjunct is quite gross. Taste is also dominated by loads of gross sweet adjunct notes with a bland aftertaste. Body is light with light oily notes. Overly sweet bland lager. (314 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -39.3%

Tis the season and all that. Was at a kareoke bar in Prescott Arizona (of all places) and this was as "good" as anything they had.

The beer pours a pale gold color with minimal head retention and lacing. Alas, the beer smelled worse then it looked, with a lot of moderately sweet corn, a touch of seltzer water, and nothing else. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose on this light, very bland tasting beer. This beer is quite watery with very little flavor. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and given the lack of flavor, drinkability sucks. I was absolutely delighted when my beer was finally gone and I could call it a night.

Note to self. Never order this crap again. (673 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -38.2%

Appearance: It's a clear, light yellow color with a very modest one finger, foamy head. Retention was very short and lacing was unimpressive.

Smell: Very light on the nose. If you stick with it, you can pick up some grains and corn. Virtually no hops or malt to speak of.

Taste: Actually, not a great deal of taste worth mentioning either. There are some light grain and corn flavors. No malt or hops. Pretty typical for a macro.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and it goes down easy. But, like most macros, it doesn't taste good. One is about all I can handle. It's not enticing enough for another. Overall, it's not a good beer. I wouldn't recommend it. (675 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured clear pale yellow, almost uric in color! White frothy head, lasts about 45 seconds.
Smells grainy, bready. Tastes like corn on the cob, sans corn!Slightly more full bodied than other Adjuncts I've tried. If this happens to be all that is available, consider drinking water!!
(On tap at Chili's) (301 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -36.8%

Situation: Cheap 12 courtesy of Bottle King (with Club Member card!) and the wife is on a bachelorette party)...
Glassware: Warsteiner footed pilsenser...
Appearance: Tawny straw yellow with a steady effervescence and a soapy head--not attractive unless you've been sweating or spooning hot salsa....
Aroma: somewhat bright and punchy pilsener hops; otherwise, another in a long line of not-quite-Pilsner Urquell scents...
Palate: absolutely light and fizzy, with little to recommend a second sip save to testify that there was a last one...
Taste: flatly malty, almost a 40 oz. bottom-out; refreshingly light with a hint of carbonated sweetness; as Vienna lagers go, this is only reserved for places like Jose Texas and Chili's...
Overall: Wasn't a fan before, and even with the nice price, not going to have me reaching for this again until another Cinqo de Mayo promo...only the commercials with the most interesting man in the world could redeem its thinness.... (966 characters)

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.