Join our email list →

Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 574 | Hads: 2,509
1.65/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Draft: Poured a golden yellow color lager with a medium white foamy head with average retention and some light lacing. Aroma of overly sweet adjunct is quite gross. Taste is also dominated by loads of gross sweet adjunct notes with a bland aftertaste. Body is light with light oily notes. Overly sweet bland lager.

2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

My take on Dos XX

Appearance: slight hazy yellow color not much going on.

Smell: small sweet grains smell, very little malts.

Taste: very very light hop and malt taste not very much going on.

Mouthfeel: a bit over carbonated tends to bubble in the back of your throat

Overall: eh its a alright beer. better than any other mexican beer i've tried the only other beer that i feel that has the most flavor is Indio.

1.56/5  rDev -42.4%

This was legitimately the worst beer I've ever had.

Appearance: average adjunct. I like the appearance, but it's nothing special.

Smell: Some funk going on, but it doesn't warn me about what's going to happen when I actually taste it.

Taste: Worst taste ever. The aftertaste tastes the way burnt plastic smells. I have no idea how this taste got into the beer, but it's awful.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but not actively offensive.

Overall: Terrible, terrible beer. I'm more than willing to tolerate an adjunct lager, but not this.

1.29/5  rDev -52.4%

"Gringo!" he barked. "Go take your fancy princess beer and shove it up your burro!" His shrieks echoed in the dry heat, the heat was instigating him, rivers of sweat ran down his leathery face like veins. He was a man at the constant point of no return, one of us was going to burn. As he started walking towards me I found that I could not move, the smell of his sweat arrived a few yards before he did and I found myself paralyzed by this animal of a man, now just inches away. A primal beast that didn't care about anything but proving his dominance over others.

I felt the fear swelling up in my stomach, finding myself more and more hopeless with each stilted breath I took in. I decided then and there, to my own surprise that I wasn't going to cower down in fear, I clenched every muscle in my body, looked him in the eye and almost shouted "Listen buddy I am drinking a La Fin Du Monde, its ABV is 10% alright, that's more than most bee..." He cut me off with furious throaty laughter, his head reeled back as he let out howls of insanity. "HAHAHA you fool..." he quickly slapped my glass to the floor, shattering it, all the time his eyes locked on mine, his smile now turning to an sinister grimace.

I stood there and felt myself getting sick, like the air I was breathing was toxic, I knew I had to get out of there, I felt my life was now in serious danger. So I did something wild, I punched him straight in the jaw as hard as I could and ran out of the bar at cheetah pace. My sprint was cut short when two grizzly looking men stopped me at the exit, they caught me and held me by the arms, slowly dragging me back to the bar. As my legs slid across the dirty floor I found myself screaming for help, but my yells fell on deaf ears as all the patrons seemed to have left when this group had walked in - I should have noticed I thought, should have known.

I was a child at that point, so scared and helpless I felt like I was going to throw up. As they lifted me up back onto the bar stool, the apparent leader of the group, the one I had just so recently signed my death wish with only grinned at me, his gnarled yellow teeth clenched like a madmans. "Now chico, we are going to have fun. You are going to drink a mans beer, so pick up your pencil and notepad and write about...this shit." His friends laughed softly, knowingly, like I was about to experience a fiendish torture only left up to the imagination, I imagined it would be some sort of drug or poison, some kind of shady toxin that would have me curled up into a pool of blood before my ultimate demise. He marched to the bar, grabbed a bottle off the shelf and walked back towards me, I was seeing double at this point, half dazed at the thought of my life ending so oddly.

He set the bottle on the table and pulled the cap off with his bare wrists, when he did, he and his cronies flinched back a little, as if they feared even a drop of it would be spilled anywhere near them. Their eyes all locked on to the bottle with a sort of fearful concentration, as if it were a python waiting to pounce. As I shook the dizziness from my head I managed to focus in on the label. "Dos Equis". It must have been a joke I thought, I looked back at them but they didn't laugh, in fact I was absolutely sure that what I saw in their eyes was fear, a real instinctual fear that even these monsters were terrified by. "Now" he said slowly "Pick up the bottle, and drink it. Write down your review for us." I wasn't sure but I thought one of them made the sign of the cross as I poured the bottle into a glass.

Light yellow, head is fizzy and light and dissipates in seconds. As I stare into the yellowness I hear voices in my head, like shrieks of pain from ghosts telling me to turn back, turn back..

The smell makes me nauseous, it is an overly sweet skunky raunchy stench that overpowers all the hot sweat in the room and fills it with the scent of death, the bar now smells like an ancient crypt for skunks.

I lift the beer to my mouth and begin drinking, tears quickly form in my eyes. What is this? Why does this taste the way it does? Where is the goodness in life? The piss flavored grime contaminates my stomach with its cruel flavors. The liquid evil that I drink not only rapes my throat but my innocence, my faith in the world. This carbonated death was meant only to destroy, to defeat ones soul entirely.

The mouthfeel is light, strong carbonation.

I find myself alone. No where is there a trace of my captors or anyone else. I am a null in the void. Completely alone in the universe. There is no light in the darkness.....

2.71/5  rDev 0%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Transparent gold, light bubbles that make it look like nothing is really there. White head maybe 1/3", looks foamy but settles evenly.

Smell: Has a sour scent, feels a little like rye but dissipates very quickly.

Taste: Lightly bitter, not really hoppy more like a rice feel that is really light. It makes you think, am I drinking a "light" beer?

Mouth: Medium carbonation, but has a sour after feel. It's not like a lemon it's more bready than anything.

Overall: Not a bad brew but not definitely a good one either. I am pretty sure during the right climate it is incredibly appreciated. Salud!

2.61/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both OK. The brew smells like sweet malt, corn, and some light citrus. It tastes like sweet malt and corn. Not much to this brew at all. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it's smooth and easy to drink. It's really not bad, but it's not exactly good either. I have no problem drinking this occasionally, but I wouldn't make a point to buy it. Got a bottle from one of my buddies for free so I figured I might as well tick it.

2.02/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured no head. Light yellow color.
Sweet aroma from corn, for a moment I could feel a hint of hops. Medium carbonation.
Taste was refreshing while cold and it had a predominance of the usual suspect: corn.
Slightly dry finish with a corn aftertaste and some metallic.
The lemon piece that I took out for degustation would help to hide its flaws…

2.41/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle: reasonable label, decent green 330mL bottle. Kind of classy.

Appearance: light yellow colour with big and fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: the aroma is a little off putting, smelled of sweet corn and some grain.

Taste: thin, watery and without much flavour, a little sweet corn and grains.

Aftertaste: with the limited flavours, that lager metallic fug is definitely dominant in the aftertaste. Not terribly pleasant.

Mouth feel: light- to- medium bodied, with a medium carbonation.

Overall: thin, watery and without much flavour, a little sweet corn and grains. Nice on a hot day when you don't need flavour so much as you do refreshment. I still say that there are better beers even in this price range (AU$43 a case in 2012).

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle stamped 1222484FE0156. It pours yellow to golden with a short lasting fizzy head, which is pretty typical for the style.

Although it came from a green bottle the aroma was thankfully not overly skunked but it did carry some distinct barley malt and grain characters with a whiff of clean hops on the backside.

The body is thin to medium, which is again very typical for the style.

The taste is quite grainy with a slight acidity and crisp hop ending. Here is a beer with a popular advertising campaign and it is a average to above average for the style.

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%

There is no way the most interesting man in the world drinks this beer. It is not the least interesting beer in the world, but worse. It clearly tastes like an adjunct lager, but it's not as carbonated as Bud and the like to at least improve the feel. I would prefer a Bud, because while the flavor isn't as strong, it goes down easier. Realistically, I wouldn't want either, but for those rare times I want cheap beer, I'm not getting XX.

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%

Love the commercials but the beer is a tad bit lacking. It pours well and the head looks good, but its taste is a bit watery. Feels fine in the mouth but it has that "spilled-beer-in-a-bar" smell. Not the kind of aroma that inspires one to spend lots of money on.

2.41/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours very little head, leaves a bit of lacing. lots of carbonation, colour is a light pale gold.

Smell has typical adjunct aromas, with malt and sour citrus. Something of an off-note, rancid character.

Taste follows with some of the off-flavour initially. Tastes stale and slightly rancid. Bit of citrus character.

Mouthfeel is rather thin. Lot of carbonation, the finish is dry, light barley note.

The stale and off character here is pretty grim, not whether its the batch or this beer in general, but not eager to rush out to find out.

2.41/5  rDev -11.1%

Got it on some Belgrade festival.

A-Golden color,lots of bubbles,very nice tick white foam.

S-Mostly some citrus smell from yeast.

T/M-Sweet unpleasant taste,medium to low carbonation,lots of corn in it,low bitterness,undrinkable for me.

O-Will pass it in the future.

Into a pilsener:

A: crystal clear yellow body and leaves a decent half finger white head that died to a paper thin film which lasted for about twenty seconds and died into the body. Moderate carbonation was seen rising. Minimal spotty lacing speckled the sides of the glass.

S: rice and corn, not much else.

T: basically the same, adding a slightly sweet note to it.

M: light and leaning to the watery side. There was nothing harsh on my tongue.

O: this actually wasn't as bad as I thought I would be. I've had this beer more than several times over the years and finally got a chance to review it here. Since its pretty drinkable and a decent sweetness in the taste, I would say this is one of the better AAL's out there.

2.71/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a crystal clear yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall bright white head that quickly reduces to a small to medium sized patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of adjunct malts - corn is the strongest with grainy coming right behind.

T: The taste is similar to the smell with the corn and grain adjunct malts dominating and a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Easy enough to drink but not really anything special with this beer.

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a tall can into a snifter and the head sunk down rapidly to just a bit of foam around the edges of the glass. The body is a clear light gold--standard issue North American adjunct lager.
The aroma is all corn and grain with corn in the lead.
As far a taste goes, it follows the nose--corn and grain, with a smidgin of wet bread. Very little sweetness to it and not a hint of hop bitterness.
The mouthfeel is equally underwhelming. I could think of a hundred lagers more thirst quenching then this brew.
Overall, I have to say I'd never buy this beer again. If someone handed me one I'd down it without a thought, but as far a plopping down money for one, no way. It's not the worst beer in the world it just doesn't have much going for it outside of the fact that it's wet, cold, and if you drink enough you could catch a buzz. Great advert campaign, but I guess this review renders me the least interesting man in the world.

2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin bright white head that quickly died down and left lacing on the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of adjunct malts in the nose—corn seems to stand out in particular—as well as grainy malts.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of corn and grainy malts along with a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer isn’t horrible but the taste is relatively bland and uninteresting.

2.61/5  rDev -3.7%

My brother left a couple of these in the fridge after my cookout, figured I'd pound one and put a review in.

Pours a pale gold with a fast fading head. Some crazy carbonation throughout. There's barely any aroma but what's there is very lager-like.

Very subtle, grainy flavor with a watery feel. Goes down easy with a crisp finish. Despite the lack of flavor, I find it to be fairly inoffensive - this is a good choice if you are eating something spicy (like Mexican) or anything with a strong flavor. I do not recommend drinking this on it's own, not enough taste to be had.

2.33/5  rDev -14%

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a white head that fades quickly to bits of lacing.

S: aroma of grain, malt sweetness and not much else.

T: Taste of grain, malt sweetness. The is a decent bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, bit crisp and somewhat refreshing.

O: Good beer for a hot summer day. That's about it.

2.72/5  rDev +0.4%

12fl.oz. bottle. Dos XX Pint glass. (From my notes: Bought at “Mexican Week” in a mall. Enjoyed at home). Pale golden color. Crystal appearance. Brief, white in color, froth. Corn & sweet aromas. Crispy upfront followed by smooth sweet adjuncts. Light body. High & lively carbonation. Watery texture. Dry finish similar to many European lagers. Clean bitterness is missed even though.

2.36/5  rDev -12.9%

Someone left a few of these at my house so I figured why not, I've been drinking IPAs so maybe being a little buzzed will help it go down. Poured from a green bottled 12 oz into a pint glass this pours a high foaming white head which leaves some type of lacing/left over foam with a light yellow color. The smells are pretty light and a little watery, maybe some adjuncts. The feel is light and watery. The taste is about the same, not really my thing but to each their own, thankfully I didn't pay for them.

3.2/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a six pack right before a nice few hours cleaning the pool. Wonderful mouthfeel, And a great taste make this stuff what it is. If Mexico has this stuff, Why do they still make Corona? It's sad that most people think of Corona when they think of Mexican beer. Can't say much for the smell because...Well why in the hell would you be smelling a beer and not drinking it?. But this stuff is almost like a smoother, Slightly better tasting Labatt Blue. The color was pretty much that of a standard lager, With some carbonation. Definitely not disappointed with this, but it must be ice cold to be thoroughly enjoyed.

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

So this beer, hmm.

This beer is a great one to have on a really hot summer day, IMO. When your average American would be reaching for a Bud Light or a Coors, etc, intercept them with this.

Not to say that this is a complex beer by any means, because it simply isn't. What it IS is a nice break from beers you have to think about. It's something that, while simple, it's simple in a very positive way.

There isn't anything that stands out about its appearance -- namely that it's basically piss yellow with a little bit of head. Looks like typical macro-brew yadda yadda.

Smells like beer. Kinda.

Tastes heavenly when outside on a 90 degree day. Tastes less heavenly when you're just sitting around doing whatever. But for the sake of my review, I'm going to pretend I'm doing yard work, so it tastes great! Extremely refreshing without being overly sweet like a shandy or a lime-beer.

Going down, it feels like water, really. Not much to be said here, but not offensive by any means.

Seriously. It's summer time. Don't be pretentious. Grab a Dos Equis Special (or like 10.)

2.9/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Light gold, thin bleach white head that died extremely fast, pretty nice lacing.

Smell: Light very sweet smelling malt and mixed grain, light floral. Reminds me almost exactly of budweiser-sweet smelling grain with a touch of light floral.

Taste: Sweet Malt and mixed grain, light floral, an odd metal taste almost like licking the bottle cap (I've done it oddly enough). Very light body; water-like. Champagne like carb on the tongue.

Final Thoughts: To be honest, if I was blindfolded and given this I would think someone filled the glass 50/50 Bud and Bud Light. Not interested personally, but it could have been alot worse.

2.33/5  rDev -14%

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of grain, sugar, and some metallic aromas. Taste is the same but there is also an off flavor that I can’t put my finger on that is almost medicinal. There is a very light bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that is somewhat undrinkable, especially with the off flavor I am getting.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.