Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
zeff80

Missouri

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had at a local mexican joint. No lime wedge.

A - Poured out a clear, highly carbonated straw yellow color with a small, bubbly, white head. Very little head retention and no lacing.

S - It smelled of corn, grains and some light caramel malt.

T - It tasted fairly sweet. It had an okay corn and grain flavor. Slightly bitter.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer.

D - Not very flavorful but drinkable. Goes great with some spicy Mexican salsa.

07-18-2008 20:26:13 | More by zeff80
HalfFull

3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a clear golden in color with a thin head. Retention and lacing were minimal.

Deep corn and balanced malt on the nose. More depth than Corona/Sol/Pacifico, but nothing special. Taste is a bit richer as well with a slight oily feel on the tongue. Finish is average with moderate carbonation. Not bad but comes at a decent price premium to Sol. I'd reach for the Sol Brava next time.

07-14-2008 18:31:42 | More by HalfFull
daythree16

Tennessee

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Served in a frosted pint glass. Gold color with 1.5 finger head that doesn't leave any lace as it fades.

The smell is a little funky, like sweet corn. The taste is sweet as well. There is a little grainy sweetness with not much else.

The mouthfeel is light, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, there is definitely nothing special about this beer. Certainly overpriced. If this is what I'm thirsty for, I'd go with a cheaper macro lager.

07-13-2008 05:38:54 | More by daythree16
tdawgydog

3.33/5  rDev +21.5%

I only ever drink this beer when we dine at our favorite Mexican restaurant. They have a limited beer menu and not being a fan of Corona my choices are limited to this, Heineken and Negro Modelo. I tried the Negro and it was a little to dark (hence the name) for my liking. I could suffer through a Heineken but I figure since I'm eating Mexican why not drink Mexican too... I actually don't find Dos XX lager too bad to drink, they also offer the Dos XX in the brown bottle but I have always preferred the lager. I usually drink it from the bottle since I am never offered a glass. For the first time last night they gave me a glass with the beer so I poured it. It does pour extremely light, almost looks like cream soda. What minuscule head existed after my pour quickly dissipated. Again for one reason or another the hops in this beer taste amazingly sweet when paired with spicy Mexican food. Having never drank the beer outside of the restaurant I can't say how well it goes on its own. When I'm eating Mexican this beer always hits the spot.

07-06-2008 00:46:13 | More by tdawgydog
dsa7783

2.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle served at Baja's in Hoboken...
Very similar to a Corona, with a noticeable corny, grainy, macro aroma...
Light, golden-colored hue with slight carbonation visible...
Crisp taste accentuated by a lime... Essences of corn, grains, bread and citrus abound...
Slick, watered-down mouthfeel, with an okay level of drinkability...
Nothing above and beyond for sure, but makes for a good, inexpensive social beer...

06-29-2008 12:33:48 | More by dsa7783
gpogo

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

A- Brilliantly clear light yellow with small white head.

A- Malty sweetness, not as grainy as other american macro lagers.

T- Light and bland.

M- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

D- It's alright. Better than a lot of american macro lagers.

06-25-2008 01:51:18 | More by gpogo

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

I had a bottle of this with some spicy wings at my favorite local eatery. This was a superb brew to help quash the burn

A: Very bright, clear gold with a nice 2 finger head. The head stuck around for a while, and left lots of lacing on my glass. I must have poured it a little too aggressively! =)

S: Smell, well, it was a little hard to comprehend. It doesnt smell like anything I've ever smelled. It actually smelled a little skunky

T: Kind of bland, with some malt, some hops, and a little skunk. I did not use a lime, so I was getting the taste with no adulteration

M: Felt good in my mouth when it was on fire. It was cold and help kill the burn

D: Average. Kind of bland without a lime, but certainly doable

I've had several Mexican beers, and this is probably the best one of them all. Still bland, but very drinkable. When I go out to my favorite eatery, I reach for this one

06-24-2008 05:19:27 | More by 1099
pmcadamis

1.93/5  rDev -29.6%

I can't believe that I've never reviewed this! I've had this about a billion times in Mexico, but I've always just assumed that I've reviewed it.

A - Clear, yellow, and fizzy-looking with a rapidly dissipating white head. Nothing to see here folks, please move on.

S - Corn tortillas, salt, and lagery funk. Not offensive, but not good either.

T - About the same as the nose,...lagery funky corn, with a hint of a metallic flavor...maybe from the can.

M - Fizzy and refreshing. Good for a hot day at the beach, but not much else.

D - A halfway decent alternative to the much-despised Corona, but do yourself a favor and find some Indio or Negra Modelo.

Serving type: can

06-06-2008 19:18:26 | More by pmcadamis
bradybeer

1.9/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a light yellow-almost white? Very white head which quickly disappears. No hop aroma to speak of with even less taste. Taste of flavored spa water-with no malt character, almost like drinking tap water. Finish is thin as is the body-drinkability is very low-

with so many better macro Mexican beers available there is no reason to have XX

06-04-2008 21:06:12 | More by bradybeer
shroompod

2.98/5  rDev +8.8%

Very pale and clear , small head dissipates quickly.

Smell is very faint , almost imperceivable slight grain.

Taste is slightly sweet , a very small hop profile. Overall an average tasting macro.

Mouthfeel is light , reminds me of seltzer water.

Overall an easy drinking beer , nothing unpleasant, nothing noteworthy.

05-31-2008 23:51:19 | More by shroompod
maddogruss

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

Nice amber lager with a small white head. Smelled slightly malty with a sense of hops. Tasted same way, but the hops were more noticeable. Served with a lime that nicely complimented the malty aftertaste. Mouthfeel was kind of thick but not overbearing. Would definitely have again.

05-30-2008 13:40:15 | More by maddogruss
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

2.45/5  rDev -10.6%

a: Clear, pale yellow body, thin white head. No lacing, minimal retention.

s: Well, the nose isn't offensive, but it is pretty damn hard to detect. The aroma is vaguely citric, maybe some grain, maybe.

t: Again, biggest plus here is that its not gross, as opposed to Corona. The flavor is as weak as the appearance and aroma suggest. No real off flavors, just really light malt, some graininess and some lemon.

m: Light, crisp, relatively clean.

d: Easy to put down, easier to get bored with. A step above some of the other Mexican mass-produced crap, but its a pretty small step. In the right setting and for the right price I will drink it again, but I will never seek it out.

05-12-2008 03:54:59 | More by BradLikesBrew
AlexJ

2.85/5  rDev +4%

Drank out of the bottle with a wedge of lime on Stinko de Mayo. Had a few of these with some grilled Mahi tacos and beer battered grouper tacos.

Aroma is mild, bready, and grainey.

Flavor ditto. Very mild, but better than Corona.

Body is light and surprising quaffable. Only on Cinco de Mayo.

05-08-2008 18:51:20 | More by AlexJ
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

2.33/5  rDev -15%

Poured from 12-ounce green bottle into Berkshire Brewing pint glass:

A: Poured a pale, straw yellow color with a sudden rush of carbonation, then nothing; is this soda?

S: Smells of faintly sweet cow corn with a faint skunkiness familiar to other Mexi-lager drinkers.

T: Tastes like a Corona with a splash of Heineken mixed in it. What a nasty Euro combo.

M: Mouthfeel is sharp, thin and stinging.

D: Standard drinking lager, but with a foreign trashiness all it's own. I've been told it's alright on draft, but I don't care to find out.

This brew probably goes over at trendier Mexican-themed bars and restaurants, just to offer something to people who scoff at Corona, but still want that "authentic" Mexican experience. Go for a Negra Modelo instead, if they've got it.

05-08-2008 02:59:56 | More by Gambrinus1184
rye726

Colorado

1.2/5  rDev -56.2%

Clear yellow and tan head. Aroma is corny and simple and very light. Appearance is a clear yellow with no head. Flavor is very light as well and has some bitter components. Mouthfeel is light bodied and has a harsh carbonation. Overall, I'm not too impressed, its drinkable but not very. Like most other Mexican beers it needs a lime. Even with a lime, not so good.

05-07-2008 00:08:36 | More by rye726
ckeegan04

2.78/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Pale yellow straw color. Thin white head. No retention and no lacing.

S - Grainy corn. Also picked up the slightest hint of some hops. Not much else.

T - Grainy malts with a slight hop bitterness.

M/D - Thin feel. If it is ice cold it is a decent drinking macro lager.

05-06-2008 19:41:12 | More by ckeegan04
adamette

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap 5 2 08 at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio

A Thin head, thin color to body, somewhat brown

S Trace malt

T thin, watery malt.

M fine, close to water

D Great, I could drink 10 of these..it really is very drinkable.

Notes: I was very dissapointed in this beer. I had one in the past I am sure but I was looking forward to tasting/rating it for BA.

05-05-2008 01:11:23 | More by adamette
sloejams

2.2/5  rDev -19.7%

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do I make sure it's not a Dos Equis"

Actually, I do drink beer always. Dos Equis Lager isn't the worst Mexican beer - in fact it's much better than your Tecates and Coronas. Still no reason to go far for this one.

05-01-2008 16:31:45 | More by sloejams
MrIncognito

2.9/5  rDev +5.8%

This was one of the very first beers I had ever had when I turned 21. I loved it then. Returning to it now almost 4 years later, I just don't like. I poured it into the glass myself and, even after a hard pour, could barely get a head. Pale straw color with tiny white head. No lacing.

Smell is of corn mash and some bitter hops.

Taste is lame. Lacks any and all character. Just corn and some wheat maybe. Very watery with not alot of depth.

Mouthfeel is light carbonation and smooth.

I did not enjoy this beer this time. I actually thought about not finishing it... which is rare for me.

04-28-2008 18:26:23 | More by MrIncognito
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

Very pale golden color with a fairly big white head. Aroma is diluted malt with definite corn present. On the palate it is light both in body and flavor, but crisp and went well with the Mexican food. Not a real flavorful beer, but goes down really easy.

04-22-2008 02:25:50 | More by BeardedBoffin
jsprain1

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was given this one at a barbeque recently so I took some notes.
A- It is a pale pale yellow with a head that disappears rapidly. But considering the style, it is average.
S- It is weak malt and hops with a good bit of corn. It smells exactly like a Mexican restaurant.
t- The taste is decent. It is probably the best of the Mexican beers I've had. It does have a strong corn taste, though.
M- Strongly carbonated. And i still have corn on my mind.
D- Good for a Mexican beer. Take that as you will. Good for macro lager. A good match at a Mexican restaurant. Not horrible, not great.

04-13-2008 04:08:59 | More by jsprain1
TheTrevor

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer poured yellow with very little head. The smell was mostly of grain with maybe a little bit of of corn. The taste is thin malt with a very small amount of hops, very fitting of the style. The mouthfeel is fairly thin with a moderate amount of carbonation. The things this beer excels in are drinkability and putting out the fire of spicy foods. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't looking for a good Mexican drunk or eating a burrito the size of their head with very hot sauce.

04-12-2008 04:39:12 | More by TheTrevor
JackWeizen

Rhode Island

2.95/5  rDev +7.7%

Clear and flavorless lager that I bought because they didn't have the cerveca I really wanted, and I needed something to fit theme. This stuff pours clear light golden with a nice fizzy head that exits stage left.

Smell is underwhelming, and the taste is just very watered down. The malt and hop profile are pleasing to me. Floral, and not too grainy. Just slightly sweet. The problem is that they taste so watered down, that its like drinking a beer "spritzer".

This beer isn't bad, its just not fulfilling, and its expensive by that rationale.

03-05-2008 19:58:25 | More by JackWeizen
donteatpoop

3.03/5  rDev +10.6%

A very pale, clear yellow. Smells of corn and grain, tastes the same. This is really an average brew, nothing seems to set it apart from the rest. Goes down smooth, I could easily drink a few of these in a sitting... If only they tasted better.

I've only had three Mexican beers, and this was the middle one. Not the best and not the worst, just average.

02-22-2008 02:07:47 | More by donteatpoop
emerge077

2.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Washed down some Guatemalan tamales with this, I don't recommend drinking it for any other purpose.

Poured a very pale golden yellow. Light fizzy foam instantly disappeared in the chilled mug. It very much resembled apple juice without much carbonation.

Kid's apple juicebox was the only thing I could smell.

Papery malt and an apple taste from the yeast, a slightly abrasive bitterness on the back end. Very thin and watery, with a gaseous end that isn't too pleasant. I threw back the rest to spare any further introspection.

Drink Dos Equis Amber instead!

01-19-2008 01:17:47 | More by emerge077
Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.