Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

Very pale golden color with a fairly big white head. Aroma is diluted malt with definite corn present. On the palate it is light both in body and flavor, but crisp and went well with the Mexican food. Not a real flavorful beer, but goes down really easy.

04-22-2008 02:25:50 | More by BeardedBoffin
jsprain1

3.2/5  rDev +17.2%

I was given this one at a barbeque recently so I took some notes.
A- It is a pale pale yellow with a head that disappears rapidly. But considering the style, it is average.
S- It is weak malt and hops with a good bit of corn. It smells exactly like a Mexican restaurant.
t- The taste is decent. It is probably the best of the Mexican beers I've had. It does have a strong corn taste, though.
M- Strongly carbonated. And i still have corn on my mind.
D- Good for a Mexican beer. Take that as you will. Good for macro lager. A good match at a Mexican restaurant. Not horrible, not great.

04-13-2008 04:08:59 | More by jsprain1
TheTrevor

2.7/5  rDev -1.1%

This beer poured yellow with very little head. The smell was mostly of grain with maybe a little bit of of corn. The taste is thin malt with a very small amount of hops, very fitting of the style. The mouthfeel is fairly thin with a moderate amount of carbonation. The things this beer excels in are drinkability and putting out the fire of spicy foods. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't looking for a good Mexican drunk or eating a burrito the size of their head with very hot sauce.

04-12-2008 04:39:12 | More by TheTrevor
JackWeizen

Rhode Island

2.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Clear and flavorless lager that I bought because they didn't have the cerveca I really wanted, and I needed something to fit theme. This stuff pours clear light golden with a nice fizzy head that exits stage left.

Smell is underwhelming, and the taste is just very watered down. The malt and hop profile are pleasing to me. Floral, and not too grainy. Just slightly sweet. The problem is that they taste so watered down, that its like drinking a beer "spritzer".

This beer isn't bad, its just not fulfilling, and its expensive by that rationale.

03-05-2008 19:58:25 | More by JackWeizen
donteatpoop

3.03/5  rDev +11%

A very pale, clear yellow. Smells of corn and grain, tastes the same. This is really an average brew, nothing seems to set it apart from the rest. Goes down smooth, I could easily drink a few of these in a sitting... If only they tasted better.

I've only had three Mexican beers, and this was the middle one. Not the best and not the worst, just average.

02-22-2008 02:07:47 | More by donteatpoop
emerge077

2.45/5  rDev -10.3%

Washed down some Guatemalan tamales with this, I don't recommend drinking it for any other purpose.

Poured a very pale golden yellow. Light fizzy foam instantly disappeared in the chilled mug. It very much resembled apple juice without much carbonation.

Kid's apple juicebox was the only thing I could smell.

Papery malt and an apple taste from the yeast, a slightly abrasive bitterness on the back end. Very thin and watery, with a gaseous end that isn't too pleasant. I threw back the rest to spare any further introspection.

Drink Dos Equis Amber instead!

01-19-2008 01:17:47 | More by emerge077
JDV

2.68/5  rDev -1.8%

Smells decent. light malty, corn tastes at first, but then a slight malty, skunky taste, and a relatively quick finish. Definitely better with lime, to give it actual pleasant flavor. Not great, but a good easy enough beer to drink by the pool. A decent choice when there aren't many...

01-15-2008 22:19:26 | More by JDV
skittlebrau

3.13/5  rDev +14.7%

the fact that this beer is so much better than Corona is undoubtedly going to skew this review. Anyway here we go..

A: Thin, watery yellow. No head to speak of. What did you expect. It gets better from here.

S: Smells very bready. No skunk.

T: Again, tastes very bready. I don't detect any hops at all. The brewers of this beer do a good job of covering up any adjuncts, although as it warmed I could taste a little corn.

M: Thin and watery.

D: Pretty drinkable, as long as there's nothing better around.

01-12-2008 22:06:04 | More by skittlebrau
windigo32

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Pours very light golden color, very slight head that goes away quickly. Bubbles rise from the bottom quickly and constantly in large number.

S: Not to much a smell with this. Kind of earthy but in a bad way if that makes sense.

T: The taste is nothing special, just light and crisp.

M: Feels rather carbonated in the mouth.

D: This is my "cheap" party beer. It's very drinkable and goes down quickly.

01-04-2008 20:09:52 | More by windigo32
vickersspitfire

2.78/5  rDev +1.8%

Had one left over from a Christmas present I gave to a friend who really loves this beer…

Poured into a pint glass and got a small one finger head that was pretty white and didn’t last long, after a few moments its practically non-existent. The body is a very clear light yellow and has little carbonation and very thin lacing. This smells like your typical Mexican beer very light skunked aroma… but it’s not skunked at all and there is a slight hint of malts in there. It does have a strong crisp bitterness to it and has a very thin feel but it not offensive at all just no real flavor.

01-01-2008 02:58:52 | More by vickersspitfire
Traquairlover

2.68/5  rDev -1.8%

12-oz bottle poured into a beer mug.

A = Somewhat depper yellow than I expected. Very small white head. Lots of carbonation.

S = Almsot nonexistent. Very slight smell of malt. No hops, no fruits, nothing much at all. At least it is inoffensive.

T = Much like the smell there is very little there. A slight bitterness. Some slight tartness (like a sour candy), and very light taste of malt. Not much different from other beers of this style, but if you like the style, this beer should serve fine.

M = Thin bodied, lots of carbonation, no real mouth coating, pretty refreshing in the mouth though.

D = I'd say this is average. If you don't like the style then it would be lower, but it is a perfectly straightforwad American Macro Lager which is refreshing.

12-23-2007 19:41:02 | More by Traquairlover
Overlord

2.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a golden yellow, familiar to those who sample any mass produced lager.

Lots of carbonation, not as much skunkiness as one would expect, no real smell except a hint of malt. Maybe some bitterness.. can't say if that's from hops, though, as I can never detect any.

Perhaps a slight step above Corona, Miller, and other of its ilk.

12-22-2007 05:03:22 | More by Overlord
Gehrig

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

I had a pint of Dos Equis at a very good local Mexican restaurant with shrimp stir fry. The stir fry was very good; the Dos Equis, just OK. There was little head atop the clear golden body, and what there was didn't last long. Little confronts the nose, some mild hops, same with the taste. The carbonation was decent and the texture smooth, and it was a mild beverage to accompany dinner. Yet it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered. Not one I'll request, certainly not the next time I'm at that establishment.

12-15-2007 03:44:41 | More by Gehrig
iceball585

A- Golden yellow color, clear, thin white ring of head, tiny carbonation bubbles rising

S- Grains, corn, hints of malts and hops, slight metallic smell

T- Honey, malts, grains, corn, slight bitter hops near the end

M- Light body, medium carbonation, smooth, slight oily finish

D- Not too bad

To me this tastes like another typical mexican light beer. Not bad but nothing to really rave about.

12-10-2007 19:28:02 | More by iceball585
erosier

Connecticut

2.88/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a nice yellow with a short white head. It has a sweet aroma of sweet corn and some light hops. The taste is not that impressive. It tastes kind of sweet malts and light hops. It is pretty carbonated and since it doesn't have much taste it is fairly drinkable. Good mouthfeel, but not that great an overall beer. I wouldn't recommend it.

12-09-2007 21:05:13 | More by erosier
shererjt

2.38/5  rDev -12.8%

12 oz green bottle served in a lager glass.

Poured a brilliantly clear light yellow color with medium carbonation and a bright white head. Escaping bubbles were clearly visible. Nose was corn, corn, corn. Anything else was in the background. I mean, we're talking impressively corny. Maybe some mushroom aroma in there, too. Light body. Tasted about like it smelled. Really lacked much flavor at all, and what was there tasted like it did not belong in beer. Mouthfeel was crisp and clean, and the drinkability was good except that it doesn't taste good enough to drink a lot of it.

This is one of my wife's standards. It's good enough to steal one out of the back of the fridge if the need arises, but that's about it. It's kinda pricey, too, which I've never understood.

11-02-2007 23:05:27 | More by shererjt
armock

3.03/5  rDev +11%

Poured a very light straw color with a thin head. The smell was pretty weak with a hint of corn to it. To me it had a good favor my favorite of Mexican brews but it could use a lime to sweeten it up a little. It had a medium carbonation and was fairly smooth in my mouth. As I said this is my favorite Mexican brew it could use a lime and with it its a very enjoyable beer if your out having fun and not thinking too much about the taste.

10-08-2007 06:16:52 | More by armock
BretSikkink

Mexico

2.33/5  rDev -14.7%

There's no head. It's really weird, it there's some soda-like large-ish bubbles, but nothing sticks. Very clear, golden, macro-brew.

Sweet grain, DMS, corn aromas.

Crisp brew when cold, thin, light body, malty with lots of grain husk and cooked corn flavor.

Really weak. Better than Corona is about the best I can say.

09-26-2007 20:34:00 | More by BretSikkink
Kulrak

Australia

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a pale golden color with very little head, even pouring into the middle of the glass, though what is there sticks around for a while and laces the glass. Smells a little floral, but mostly very clean. The taste is also very clean. Not much sweetness, not much bitterness, no malt or hops detected. No flavor at all, really. Mouthfeel is pretty watery, with a little tingliness on the tongue, much like soda water. Overall, it's drinkable, but so is water. I was hoping for beer.

09-17-2007 13:16:04 | More by Kulrak
Floydster

2.6/5  rDev -4.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass in my friend's garage

Never had this with food, but probably would be better

Refreshing beer espeically in the summer heat

Pours golden yellow color with no head

Taste is comparable to Pacifico from what I can rememeber out that one

Could drink a good amount of these if desired

09-12-2007 07:11:48 | More by Floydster
BeerDreadz

2.63/5  rDev -3.7%

12 onz green "botella"

Appearance: Pale golden color with some white bubbles above.

Smell : There's corn ,cooked veggies and grains in this beer.

Taste: There's corn and cooked veggies in the taste also, some bitteness when you finish it

Drinkability: One of the best mexican lagers i have drink, not to compare with the amber one.

09-04-2007 07:31:13 | More by BeerDreadz
RonfromJersey

3.18/5  rDev +16.5%

Bright strong gold body, good carbonation, good clarity. Thinnish white head quickly breaks down to an oil slick.

Small but pleasant grass/hay aroma, with a hint of fresh bread.

Taste starts lightly sweet, but full, not timid. Enough hops to balance, and while no bite, a tiny hop tingle carries into the clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light, smooth, with a little body to it.

Drinkability is...really not bad.

I've had about twenty of these over the course of my current cruise vacation, and while I was disappointed in the lack of Sam Adams on the beer menu, I'm surviving nicely. It held up with nine excellent dinners. Not bad at all when compared with American Macro Lagers, and light years beyond that other Mexican beer.

But am I looking forward to getting home to my beer fridge.

08-17-2007 21:46:20 | More by RonfromJersey
baos

Indiana

3.08/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Bottle into my smaller Trappist glass. It looks a bit paler than most of the macros. Bubbly Caucasian head that dissipates down and ends up having some pretty nice lacing.

S: A mild bouquet of fermenting green apples. Very sweet smelling. Too sweet for me.

T: A mellow bit of hop and barley, like a super weak pale ale, kinda like Rolling Rock. A bit too sweet for my taste buds.

M: Watery

D: Just okay, and I know its wrong but the limón and la sal go into this one. Served extremely cold with my flavorings and drank in the hot summer sun it makes a good day. Go with the Amber instead!

08-02-2007 03:59:31 | More by baos
WillieMoe

2.9/5  rDev +6.2%

I was actually going into this expecting the worse, so it was almost a pleasant surprise. The look is average for a mass produced lager, nothing special.

The smell was very weak, nothing really stands out.

The taste was about average. Again, nothing really stood out. Slight malty taste in there, but it was barely evident.

The mouthfeel was fine. It went down smooth and didn't really leave any aftertaste.

I would say it's drinkable. If I was at a party where this was all that was available, I could see myself drinking a few.

Overall, it was not as bad as I had thought it would be, but I'm still wondering what makes this Dos Equis "special"?

07-30-2007 14:46:02 | More by WillieMoe
BeerAndBourbon

1.93/5  rDev -29.3%

Served in a pint glass with a burrito at lunchtime.

A. Pale golden with a white head that disappears quickly.

S. A bit of corn, but not much else.

T. Tastes a bit like corn syrup with some harsh bitterness.

M. Thin, watery with a dry finish.

D. I don't think I could handle more than one of these. If I hadn't purchased it, I wouldn't have finished the first one, but I hate to waste.

I thought this would be cool refreshing beverage to go with my mid-day meal, but I'll stick with a good old hefe instead.

07-22-2007 05:48:53 | More by BeerAndBourbon
Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.