Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a very pale gold. Non-existant head and thin lacings. Visible, constant, carbonation.

Skunky aroma. Pretty unpleasant really. Little bit of grass seed hops in the back, but ugh.

Not exactly full of surprises. Light grainy malt with a pinch of grassy hops. Corn is pretty pronounced in this and emphasizes the skunk.

Thin, highly carbonated.

Not so much a beer as a carefully engineered marketing product meant to take share away from Corona. Oh, and their tagline "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis."? Bugger off.

CanuckRover, Aug 12, 2008
2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Poured a clear yellow color. Good carbonation but not much head or lacing to speak of.

S - Slightly malty, with a slight skunky Euro-Lager aroma.

T - Malty, with hints of corn and grains. Pretty bland.

MF&D - Typical macro. Good with Mexican food, but not really anything else. Definatly not worth the import price tag. I'm not an advocate for putting anything in beer, but this is one thats better with lime.

nasty15108, Aug 11, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a light straw-like color, with very little white fizzy head that disappears quickly.

The smell consisted mostly of grain and corn.

Like the smell, it tasted mostly of grain and corn.

The feel was light and thin, very crisp with fairly high carbonation.

This was a pretty easy drinker. Even though there wasn't anything that stood out, this was a pretty tasty beer. Although, I'm not sure if i would pay the higher price for a case.

BeerCon5, Aug 07, 2008
2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had at a local mexican joint. No lime wedge.

A - Poured out a clear, highly carbonated straw yellow color with a small, bubbly, white head. Very little head retention and no lacing.

S - It smelled of corn, grains and some light caramel malt.

T - It tasted fairly sweet. It had an okay corn and grain flavor. Slightly bitter.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer.

D - Not very flavorful but drinkable. Goes great with some spicy Mexican salsa.

zeff80, Jul 18, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a clear golden in color with a thin head. Retention and lacing were minimal.

Deep corn and balanced malt on the nose. More depth than Corona/Sol/Pacifico, but nothing special. Taste is a bit richer as well with a slight oily feel on the tongue. Finish is average with moderate carbonation. Not bad but comes at a decent price premium to Sol. I'd reach for the Sol Brava next time.

HalfFull, Jul 14, 2008
3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Served in a frosted pint glass. Gold color with 1.5 finger head that doesn't leave any lace as it fades.

The smell is a little funky, like sweet corn. The taste is sweet as well. There is a little grainy sweetness with not much else.

The mouthfeel is light, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, there is definitely nothing special about this beer. Certainly overpriced. If this is what I'm thirsty for, I'd go with a cheaper macro lager.

daythree16, Jul 13, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +21.5%

I only ever drink this beer when we dine at our favorite Mexican restaurant. They have a limited beer menu and not being a fan of Corona my choices are limited to this, Heineken and Negro Modelo. I tried the Negro and it was a little to dark (hence the name) for my liking. I could suffer through a Heineken but I figure since I'm eating Mexican why not drink Mexican too... I actually don't find Dos XX lager too bad to drink, they also offer the Dos XX in the brown bottle but I have always preferred the lager. I usually drink it from the bottle since I am never offered a glass. For the first time last night they gave me a glass with the beer so I poured it. It does pour extremely light, almost looks like cream soda. What minuscule head existed after my pour quickly dissipated. Again for one reason or another the hops in this beer taste amazingly sweet when paired with spicy Mexican food. Having never drank the beer outside of the restaurant I can't say how well it goes on its own. When I'm eating Mexican this beer always hits the spot.

tdawgydog, Jul 06, 2008
2.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle served at Baja's in Hoboken...
Very similar to a Corona, with a noticeable corny, grainy, macro aroma...
Light, golden-colored hue with slight carbonation visible...
Crisp taste accentuated by a lime... Essences of corn, grains, bread and citrus abound...
Slick, watered-down mouthfeel, with an okay level of drinkability...
Nothing above and beyond for sure, but makes for a good, inexpensive social beer...

dsa7783, Jun 29, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

A- Brilliantly clear light yellow with small white head.

A- Malty sweetness, not as grainy as other american macro lagers.

T- Light and bland.

M- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

D- It's alright. Better than a lot of american macro lagers.

gpogo, Jun 25, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

I had a bottle of this with some spicy wings at my favorite local eatery. This was a superb brew to help quash the burn

A: Very bright, clear gold with a nice 2 finger head. The head stuck around for a while, and left lots of lacing on my glass. I must have poured it a little too aggressively! =)

S: Smell, well, it was a little hard to comprehend. It doesnt smell like anything I've ever smelled. It actually smelled a little skunky

T: Kind of bland, with some malt, some hops, and a little skunk. I did not use a lime, so I was getting the taste with no adulteration

M: Felt good in my mouth when it was on fire. It was cold and help kill the burn

D: Average. Kind of bland without a lime, but certainly doable

I've had several Mexican beers, and this is probably the best one of them all. Still bland, but very drinkable. When I go out to my favorite eatery, I reach for this one

1099, Jun 24, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -29.6%

I can't believe that I've never reviewed this! I've had this about a billion times in Mexico, but I've always just assumed that I've reviewed it.

A - Clear, yellow, and fizzy-looking with a rapidly dissipating white head. Nothing to see here folks, please move on.

S - Corn tortillas, salt, and lagery funk. Not offensive, but not good either.

T - About the same as the nose,...lagery funky corn, with a hint of a metallic flavor...maybe from the can.

M - Fizzy and refreshing. Good for a hot day at the beach, but not much else.

D - A halfway decent alternative to the much-despised Corona, but do yourself a favor and find some Indio or Negra Modelo.

pmcadamis, Jun 06, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a light yellow-almost white? Very white head which quickly disappears. No hop aroma to speak of with even less taste. Taste of flavored spa water-with no malt character, almost like drinking tap water. Finish is thin as is the body-drinkability is very low-

with so many better macro Mexican beers available there is no reason to have XX

bradybeer, Jun 04, 2008
2.98/5  rDev +8.8%

Very pale and clear , small head dissipates quickly.

Smell is very faint , almost imperceivable slight grain.

Taste is slightly sweet , a very small hop profile. Overall an average tasting macro.

Mouthfeel is light , reminds me of seltzer water.

Overall an easy drinking beer , nothing unpleasant, nothing noteworthy.

shroompod, Jun 01, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

Nice amber lager with a small white head. Smelled slightly malty with a sense of hops. Tasted same way, but the hops were more noticeable. Served with a lime that nicely complimented the malty aftertaste. Mouthfeel was kind of thick but not overbearing. Would definitely have again.

maddogruss, May 30, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -10.6%

a: Clear, pale yellow body, thin white head. No lacing, minimal retention.

s: Well, the nose isn't offensive, but it is pretty damn hard to detect. The aroma is vaguely citric, maybe some grain, maybe.

t: Again, biggest plus here is that its not gross, as opposed to Corona. The flavor is as weak as the appearance and aroma suggest. No real off flavors, just really light malt, some graininess and some lemon.

m: Light, crisp, relatively clean.

d: Easy to put down, easier to get bored with. A step above some of the other Mexican mass-produced crap, but its a pretty small step. In the right setting and for the right price I will drink it again, but I will never seek it out.

BradLikesBrew, May 12, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +4%

Drank out of the bottle with a wedge of lime on Stinko de Mayo. Had a few of these with some grilled Mahi tacos and beer battered grouper tacos.

Aroma is mild, bready, and grainey.

Flavor ditto. Very mild, but better than Corona.

Body is light and surprising quaffable. Only on Cinco de Mayo.

AlexJ, May 08, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -15%

Poured from 12-ounce green bottle into Berkshire Brewing pint glass:

A: Poured a pale, straw yellow color with a sudden rush of carbonation, then nothing; is this soda?

S: Smells of faintly sweet cow corn with a faint skunkiness familiar to other Mexi-lager drinkers.

T: Tastes like a Corona with a splash of Heineken mixed in it. What a nasty Euro combo.

M: Mouthfeel is sharp, thin and stinging.

D: Standard drinking lager, but with a foreign trashiness all it's own. I've been told it's alright on draft, but I don't care to find out.

This brew probably goes over at trendier Mexican-themed bars and restaurants, just to offer something to people who scoff at Corona, but still want that "authentic" Mexican experience. Go for a Negra Modelo instead, if they've got it.

Gambrinus1184, May 08, 2008
1.2/5  rDev -56.2%

Clear yellow and tan head. Aroma is corny and simple and very light. Appearance is a clear yellow with no head. Flavor is very light as well and has some bitter components. Mouthfeel is light bodied and has a harsh carbonation. Overall, I'm not too impressed, its drinkable but not very. Like most other Mexican beers it needs a lime. Even with a lime, not so good.

rye726, May 07, 2008
2.78/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Pale yellow straw color. Thin white head. No retention and no lacing.

S - Grainy corn. Also picked up the slightest hint of some hops. Not much else.

T - Grainy malts with a slight hop bitterness.

M/D - Thin feel. If it is ice cold it is a decent drinking macro lager.

ckeegan04, May 06, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap 5 2 08 at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio

A Thin head, thin color to body, somewhat brown

S Trace malt

T thin, watery malt.

M fine, close to water

D Great, I could drink 10 of these..it really is very drinkable.

Notes: I was very dissapointed in this beer. I had one in the past I am sure but I was looking forward to tasting/rating it for BA.

adamette, May 05, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -19.7%

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do I make sure it's not a Dos Equis"

Actually, I do drink beer always. Dos Equis Lager isn't the worst Mexican beer - in fact it's much better than your Tecates and Coronas. Still no reason to go far for this one.

sloejams, May 01, 2008
2.9/5  rDev +5.8%

This was one of the very first beers I had ever had when I turned 21. I loved it then. Returning to it now almost 4 years later, I just don't like. I poured it into the glass myself and, even after a hard pour, could barely get a head. Pale straw color with tiny white head. No lacing.

Smell is of corn mash and some bitter hops.

Taste is lame. Lacks any and all character. Just corn and some wheat maybe. Very watery with not alot of depth.

Mouthfeel is light carbonation and smooth.

I did not enjoy this beer this time. I actually thought about not finishing it... which is rare for me.

MrIncognito, Apr 28, 2008

Very pale golden color with a fairly big white head. Aroma is diluted malt with definite corn present. On the palate it is light both in body and flavor, but crisp and went well with the Mexican food. Not a real flavorful beer, but goes down really easy.

BeardedBoffin, Apr 22, 2008
3.2/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was given this one at a barbeque recently so I took some notes.
A- It is a pale pale yellow with a head that disappears rapidly. But considering the style, it is average.
S- It is weak malt and hops with a good bit of corn. It smells exactly like a Mexican restaurant.
t- The taste is decent. It is probably the best of the Mexican beers I've had. It does have a strong corn taste, though.
M- Strongly carbonated. And i still have corn on my mind.
D- Good for a Mexican beer. Take that as you will. Good for macro lager. A good match at a Mexican restaurant. Not horrible, not great.

jsprain1, Apr 13, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer poured yellow with very little head. The smell was mostly of grain with maybe a little bit of of corn. The taste is thin malt with a very small amount of hops, very fitting of the style. The mouthfeel is fairly thin with a moderate amount of carbonation. The things this beer excels in are drinkability and putting out the fire of spicy foods. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't looking for a good Mexican drunk or eating a burrito the size of their head with very hot sauce.

TheTrevor, Apr 12, 2008
Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.