Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

For no reason other than those "most interesting man in the world" commercials are freaking hilarious. The beer itself is a pretty boring straight forward lager. Pours a light fizzy yellow with a thin head. Smell is grainy and not very appealing. Crisp, bitter, very easy drinking. Fizzy, highly carbonated mouthfeel. It has a slight aftertaste that I could do without. Overall it's not bad beer. The line "His mother has a tatoo that reads son" makes me laugh for about ten minutes every time I see it. Stay thirsty my friends.

3.33/5  rDev +21.5%

I think most of us have seen the Dos Equis ads with Jonathan Goldsmith, who plays the most interesting man in the world. Those ads are hilarious! This is the beer I drank nonstop when I was in Mexico during spring-break. So it has a special place in my heart.

Dos Equis has a golden color similar to most lagers. It has minimal head, It has a grainy smell. The taste is crisp and bitter. It's a very refreshing beer. It tastes better with a lime in it but it is not essential. This is one of the easiest drinking lagers on the market. this beer is great for getting you wasted!

Overall this is a nice simple lager. It's not going to win any awards for it's amazing flavors, but it's better than most Mexican beers. I like this beer for chilling by the pool or if I want to get really drunk haha.

Decent beer. The Amber is better all around. It's smoother and just goes down better. However, if I wanted something cheap to drink with some mexican food, I may choose this since it has a slightly higher ABV in it.

Light flavored, almost like the Natty Light of cerveza.

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pale golden yellow body with a full inch of frothy white head. Not a bad looking adjunct by any means.

S - Mild grain aroma. Perhaps a hinting at banana.

T - Again mild grain in the flavor with a very slight bitterness toward the end. There's an oddness to the finish that's unbecoming.

M - Watery with a slight coarseness in the ending and finish.

~ Overall this is not something I recommend. White it may be a sessionable lager, there are better ones available.

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had some of this on Cinco de Mayo

Poured from a pitcher into my frosty pint glass at a bar.

A - pale yellow color with 2 fingers worth of head. There is modest, at best, lacing left on the glass.

S - Faint malts and grains mixed with some rice. Not much to really speak of here.

T - Ricy taste with a bit of grapish chardonnay on the end. No bitterness or malts to speak of.

M - Light body with high carbonation.

D - Meh. OK to drink cold once in a while, but not what I prefer. Pitchers were only $7.75, so that's why we got it.

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Appears a very clear goldenish yellow color with a decent head but one that is very thin and leaves a very small amount of lacing.

Smells strongly of malts, very bready and sweet. Nothing too overpowering and doesn't turn me off like a lot of beers this style would. Tastes of adjuncts and malts, mostly corn and some sweetness. No bitterness whatsoever, and not a whole lot of flavor overall.

The mouthfeel is very thin, only slightly thicker than water. A fairly high level of carbonation, but not too much. This is actually pretty easy to drink, but isn't flavorful enough to make one go back for more. Drank it for Cinco de Mayo, probably won't ever buy it again.

2.12/5  rDev -22.6%

Very little flavor, like yellow carbonated water. I found it to be a little over carbonated. It smelled OK mainly because it didn't have much of a smell. Not malty or hoppy, I guess if you're looking for something very light tasting this is the one. I will not buy this beer again.

3.85/5  rDev +40.5%

Taking this beer for what it is.

A- slight yellow color little bit of head.

S- Smells kind of grainy and I really do smell lime in this thing.

T- By itself it's alright but I prefer to add a lime and I think it tastes very good with one.

M- It's light feeling and waterlike consistency. But not in a bad way.

D- This just means it's an easy drinker and goes great with spicy food. A good one to go to on taco night.

2.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Single bottle (no date I could interpret on bottle) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow - plenty of carbonation bubbling up through the beer. White foam (1/4" thick) on pouring quickly died down to leave just a thin non-complete foam across the top. No lacing noted.

Smell: Quite faint - grainy, maybe a hint of metallic and cider in there.

Taste: Not exactly bitter - but definitely not sweet with malt either. Earthy? Some metallic tastes in there (not strong) and sometimes some apple-like cider, but that cider is fleeting against the mild bitterness/metallic taste.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation on the tongue, maybe a tad on the watery side.

Drinkability: Maybe if I had this beer as a counter to a very spicy meal or something really flavorful I might enjoy it better, but otherwise I'm not liking it nor would I reach for another. Even yesterday having one alone after mowing the yard didn't exactly do anything for me. I won't say awful (I finished both beers) but I'm not impressed.

2.65/5  rDev -3.3%

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a simple-looking, clear, yellow body with a puny, small-sized, white head.

Smell: Well, it's definitely lackluster in the aroma department. Sparsely sweet-scented grains and corn cobs. Perhaps it'll fare better when it comes to taste.

Taste: Modestly sweetish, lightly grainy malts with a rounding out of unctuous corn. Small trace of spicy hops deliver an equally small hint of bitterness. Finishes quick and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Decidedly watery mouthfeel.

Drinkability: If you thrill for swill, then Dos Equis Special Lager is a good bet. Otherwise, it comes across as being bland and adjunct-y. Their Amber was tolerable, not so much with this one.

3.97/5  rDev +44.9%

Apperance- Light yellow there is very little head to it

Smell- Smells of a light malt and grains

Taste- Grain taste not bitter at all what you would expect from a Dos Equis

Mouthfeel- Light body goes down smooth can feel the carbonation

Drinkability- Easy to drink could sit and drink it by itself but goes better with food

3.58/5  rDev +30.7%

Appearance: Decent gold color. Tons and tons of foam...my glass basically overflowed. Sticky with some lacing. Good.

Smell: I love the maltiness of Dos Equis. Very breadlike and nasal-passage-clearing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Also very malty, stronger so than something like Molson. Smooth and a bit bitter, but not skunked at all. Dry finish.

Drinkability: Dos Equis has above average drinkability. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Overall: Nice beer, but not distinctively Mexican. See drinkability.

1.55/5  rDev -43.4%

Pale and golden. Weird aroma. Can't pinpoint what it is. Cornpops cereal I guess.

Fruit sweet taste, maybe some corn syrup Karo brand in the batch or something. No hops. Malt, if any, was roasted on a lukewarm sidewalk. Only thing big about this beer is the carbonation and price. Blech.

2.95/5  rDev +7.7%

355ml bottle. Upon seeking out the most recommended Mexican restaurant in downtown Toronto, this seemed like an appropriate enough choice for my first patio experience of the year.

This beer pours a clear medium golden yellow hue, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly fizzy dirty white head, which leaves some sandstone mesa cliff lace around the glass as things quickly sink away.

It smells of a very, very light grain/corn sweetness, some hard water flintiness, and a bit of fruity weediness. The taste is soft, bready corn grain, and an earthy, slightly vegetal hop essence. It really is rather weak, not bad, just well, low-key all-around.

The carbonation is moderate, just a simple frothiness, the body medium-light in weight, and bordering on thin in its innocuous smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the weak-ass malt carrying on, and surprisingly, weirdly crisp.

A barely adequate lager chaser for the chips and none-too-spicy salsa...better than yer average BMC, sure, mostly through its plainness, in the same way that this 'Mexican' food is better than Taco Bell.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.98/5  rDev +8.8%

Enjoyed with my cheap tacos last night.

A: The pour is a light golden yellow color with a finger of airy white foam.

S: The nose is sweet and grainy with some hints of sweet apples and corn syrup. Not exactly great, but not offensive like many other beers of the style.

T: The flavor profile is what you would expect. Lots of grain and corn sweetness without much at all in the way of bitterness. The flavor is quite light, as you would expect.

M: A thin and watery body with a high level of carbonation.

D: Like the other beers of the style, easy to drink, just not necessarily all that flavorful. Good for enjoying with a Mexican meal, but not something I'd sit down and drink.

3.22/5  rDev +17.5%

had on tap @ peppitos on chicago ave in mpls it was a pale gold/straw color with little head and some lacing the smell was wet biscuit some rice and corn with slight malts and hops in the background..all i will say is when your at a cantina and eating burritos and tacos and chips and salsa..this is a lager that fits in..will i buy this beer for the fridge..absolutely not... will i have it at a cantina again absolutely yes ..there is a place and time for this lager..and it fit in well with my dinner..not really recommended however

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%

A - It came out a bright gold color, and had a medium size head that dissipated quickly. It looks pretty much like any other macro style beer (i.e. not appetizing)

S - The smell sort of hurt my nose. It was inhaling an over carbonated soda. It stung, and it had a bit of sweet scents.

T - I tried this beer straight, and it was just sort of bland. I added some lime, which made it taste okay. I don't count the limes towards the taste though, since I had to do that myself. With limes, I would give it a 3.

M/D - It was decently drinkable, me and one friend finished a pitcher of it. Though, we are in college, so if we paid for it, we were going to drink it regardless. It had a medium viscosity, but it left a slightly bitter after taste.

Bottom line: If you are looking to get hammered drunk, this is a pretty good option. It isn't too expensive, and it is marginally better than a standard bud light. But if you are looking to sit down and enjoy a beer, you probably should go to something a bit more adventuresome.

-Cheers

2.48/5  rDev -9.5%

Again, the other beer had at Sea Island @ The Forum on-tap.

Dropped to practically no head. Medium light golden yellow, and crystal clear.

Nose is corn with nothing other than maybe a light grainyness.

Small amount of malt and corny tasting. Bland bubbly mouthfeel.

If I ever happen to have this again, Ill try to make a better review for this not too great beer.

2.98/5  rDev +8.8%

Pale gold, very clear, blanched white head.

Smell is adjuncty, and of corn, weak hops/bitter.

Before I launch into 'taste', I should say the bottle claims on the back that this beer is styled in the pilsner fashion. Only in the aftertaste is this even remotely apparent.
It tastes noticeably hoppier than other AALs, though the prominent corn taste kind of diminishes this highlight. Weak malt base, plenty of that classic adjunct flavor.

Mouthfeel is kind of watery, especially for a "pilsener". Carbonation isn't as crisp as it should be, and there's very little body to it.

Overall, there are worse things to drink. I'd take this over MGD, Bud, Miller High Life, or Keystone Orig.

2.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a pale golden colour. Lots of visible carbonation, but little head retention and no lacing. Looked like soda.

Smelled like a typical macro lager. Corn meal and light malts. Not looking good so far.

The taste is all kinds of bland. A very uninteresting lager, but as is typical for the marketed style, there isn't anything offensive there either. Just your run of the meal, slightly sweet macro.

Mouthfeel is very watery and slick, with the carbonation tapering off near the end.

I always drink beer, and when I do, I prefer not to drink Dos Equis. I'm sure this brew will taste a hell of a lot better on a beach in Mexico (as I will see next month), but on a cold day in January, it did nothing for me.

2.15/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a golden yellow, with a white head that fly away quickly. No lace. Looks like a macro brew.

Brew smells of grain, corn. Very understated nose.

Brew is crisp and light. Has a subtle corn/grain flavor. Very watery feel and taste, finishes slightly dry.

This is not a good brew; nothing more than a macro tasting brew. Was given to me as a gift; not a recommended purchase. Lackluster in every department a person would look for in a brew. One and done.

2.53/5  rDev -7.7%

Tried this one right out of the bottle. No freshness date. Very little action when swirled in bottle. Green bottle with 2 X's label pretty cool. Smells like wet grass, not very pleasant aroma. Taste is very watery, really can't taste anything that resembles a lager. I have had this before with a lime so I will go against the laws of beer physics and add a lime at this time....Ok, this helps alot. This and so many watery mexican beers cannot stand alone they need limes to make them drinkable and give them some flavor. My mouth feels nothing notable when drinking this, sorry. Drinkability: I do not like this beer at all, however, I could drink it all day long, play beach volleyball, cook steaks on the grill, lay by the pool and still catch a buzz. Bottom line, this beer sucks, but I can drink it if I have too, and I do on occasion. No real flavor without a lime.

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Translucent golden yellow beer with a minimal head after an agressive pour, quickly dissipates until nothing. Reminds me of the head of a cider, non-existant.

S: Hard to pick up anything of substance here. A little bit of esters, some faint hops.

T: Some malt up front, very little hops, not much finish at all, got a little bit of citrus in there somewhere. I remember this having more taste than the typical american adjuct. I guess I was wrong.

M: low carbonation, low body

D: not a bad beer for what it is, just doesn't stand out at all. Doesn't have a "bad" taste as I've had with some other beers of this quality. Is do-able for a bbq or with some mexican food.

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Clear golden color with a minimal head.

S - Similar to Corona and many American macro brew lagers, which places it slightly below average.

T - Drank with a Quesadilla, and the flavors of the food seemed to easily trump those of the beer, but slight notes of hops were able to shine through.

M - Thin, no serious body.

D - With other beers available in this category, such as Modelo Especial and Negra Modelo, One would wonder why Dos Equis would be chosen over them.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.