Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 557 | Hads: 2,411
2.6/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't hear too many positive reviews about Mexican beers, but I kinda like them. I can't imagine eating a nice Mexican dinner with a Heineken. Dos Equis is the perfect brew for that occasion. It's light and has just the right amount of that South O' the border maltiness. A twist of lime and you are set. Enjoy. (313 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Pale yellow in color with a significant but fleeting head that retreats to minimal lacing. Smell and taste have some malt but adjuncts are clearly present. The mouth feel is a bit thin and the finish almost non-existent. I wouldn't turn one down, but Dos Equis Amber is a much better choice if both are available. (316 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -4%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Manzanita pint glass
From: Barons Market in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $1.39
Purchased: Oct. 22, 2014
Consumed: Oct. 22, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Poured a golden, pale, clear color with a finger of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Lots of streams of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. No lacing on the sides of the glass. No retention on the top. (Sight - 2.50)

Smelled honey, caramel, toffee and very light chocolate, a lot more maltier and better than I thought it would. Also grassy malts, light plum and skunky resin notes late. For the style, just a great smell. (Smell - 4.00)

Tasted more like I was expecting, which was much worse than the smell. Hardly any flavor. Honey, grass, corn, light metallic, light caramel and watery cereal. (Taste - 2.25)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish. (Feel - 2.25)

I’ve had this many times, but never rated it. The smell was really good for an AAL, but then it all went to hell. I won’t have this again unless I have a gun to my head. Even then I’d have to think about it. (Overall - 2.25)

2.61 | 62 | C- (1,123 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

Purchased at the LCBO as a single. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- 3.5- Opens well and pours a standard North American head

S- 3.75- Something is here. You want this.

T- 4.0- This is a wonderful simple beer. Enough said

M- 3.75- Nice

O- 3.88- This is what I wan to vote! Excellent beer

Food Pairing

This wonderful everyday beer goes well with..... Crab soup with Old Bay Seasoning

Enjoy!! (403 characters)

This beer sucks. Horrible lingering after taste. Tried it twice thinking maybe I had a bad batch the first time. But nope, it's just nasty all the time. You want a cheap beer to party with?? Tecate it's cheaper then this shit and way better. (241 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

You know? As far as mainstream lagers go, I like it. It has a pleasant, almost sweet flavor and I can drink it all night if I want. Good for parties and large gatherings with a lot of non-craft beer people. (206 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

Refreshing cold, but it had a big rice/corn aftertaste. I prefer shorter aftertaste so it's a bit biased review.

I think it goes well with food, but by itself the aftertaste starts to bug me. At a restaurant, it's a good choice.

$3.75 for a quart, local; so the price was nice. (282 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -4%

12-oz bottle into Pilsener glass

A - 3-finger white head over crystal-clear body of straw yellow, medium amount of rising carbonation

S - malty and corny, very plain

T - corn sweetness and hop spice, dry and grainy

M - highly-carbonated medium body, crisp and refreshing

O - pretty much par for the style (309 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +34.2%

A much better alternative to Corona. One of my favorite "go to" beers when I feel like drinking something familiar and refreshing. Best during the summer. (154 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I personally like Dos Equis a lot because I find it super refreshing. There's not a ton of depth to it, but it tastes light and cool on a warm summer day. I enjoy the lightness and the tang. On the other hand, I also love a good dark beer, and this is about as far as you're going to get from that! ;) (301 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a pale golden, with a light white head. Very little lace in my Hacker Pschorr stein.

Nose is corny and adjunct malty. Not much here.

Taste is watery corn malts, and very bland. I get not a trace of hops in here. This is as plain a lager as there is.

Bleah. (265 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

I had this in a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a slight glossy orange with a fair transparency about it. Streams of carbonation were seen rising to fill a foamy one finger white head. The lacing that appeared was somewhat there but all over the place.
The smell was a glazed over burnt caramel to cooked corn aroma.
The taste was basically the same.
The mouthfeel was somewhat smooth with a slight sweet corny/caramel aftertaste. There was a slight watery finish.
Overall, decent Amber lager, but nothing I need to really seek out. I'd only have again if I was handed this. (577 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dos Equis is a decent pale beer if enjoyed in it's proper place, which to me is as a chaser. More on that in a moment.

The brew itself is a pale gold, and tells you right away that it is going to taste thin, with no real bold flavors. It smells very inoffensive, which I like, with no overpowering smell of hops, barley, or wheat.

The taste is quite mild, with just a hint of earth. To me, the strongest taste was a slight saltiness, which is why I like it as a chaser. The mouthfeel is similar to water, with no notable heft.

I first tried Dos Equis in Cozumel, Mexico. I found that it pairs quite well as a chaser to a sweeter liquor. My personal favorite pairing is DiSarrono on the rocks with a Dos Equis to clear the sweetness off the palate in between. (761 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Golden hued with good clarity. Minimal head barely covers part of the top of this beer. Aroma of light grain and corn is prevalent. Mouth is thin and watery. I get pretty much entirely corn with the flavor and a bit of Saaz hops. Another hot weather brew that is highly quaffable. (280 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a glass.

A-real thin 1/4 inch head, gone in seconds, clear color resembling golden straw

S-good, not sure how to even describe it though

T-ok, don't even know how to describe it, I'm new at this

M-watery, bubbly

O-ok beer, nothing impressive about flavor or experience (285 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -19.9%

The beer comes in a clear straw collor.

The aroma is grainy, slightly stale, a bit of breadiness.

The beer is pretty lacking in flavor. A grainy flavor throughout with sweet corn. It finishes off with a hint of hops, but mostly stale flavors.

A relatively clean drinking beer, but very lacking in flavor. (308 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

it was ok. tried it for the first time. it was a hoppy for my taste I like stout. they have a good taste texture and look. it wasn't bad that looking and it was not that hoppy but just a little to hoppy for me. everyone likes different things. if you would like to try it its ok not to hoppy which is a good thing for me (320 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a 12oz glass. Pours translucent straw with a small white head that dissipates quickly leaving nothing. Smells of sweet grain but very weakly. Tastes of sweet grain not much else, but a fuller flavor than most adjuncts. Beer is light bodied nice carbonation, crisp finish. Overall an average beer. (324 characters)

I had high expectations from this beer, possibly because of the good marketing. This is by far the worst beer I ever smelled and tasted. I tried it warm and ice cold, both had a greasy scent. Almost like left over grease smell. I am not the pickiest beer enthusiast either, I just love beer but the awfulness brought me here to rate. (333 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: foamy white 1" head which recedes rapidly leaving scant lacing. Color is straw golden. Moderate carbonation bubbles.
Aroma: corn and lightly toasted barley.
Mouthfeel: fairly crisp, watery, dry finish.
Flavor: sweet corn, slight biscuit, and very little hop presence.
Overall: decent, but nothing to get excited about. (334 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the green bottle into a shaker pint glass, pub fare after I tried the only craft offering in the house (Rogue Dead Guy Ale, if you care). First off, yes, it is better than Corona or Sol. I'd propose that said feat is not difficult to achieve. Secondly, while there is indeed some German lager character present, one has to dig deep to appreciate this feature. A light honey hue with tons of white bubbles, smells vaguely sour and metallic, old wet grain and a skunky vegetal note that for some reason reminds me of cilantro. Perhaps I am smelling some noble hop or noble hop extract. Tastes like fizzy alcoholic water with some faint lemon rind and green apple character ... Actually, the apple isn't all that faint. The skunk spray effect coupled with the fruitiness (presumably acetaldehyde) and a decent dose of cooked corn yield this soapy pungent herbal note that again makes me think cilantro, and by and large this beer remains something I'd drink in Mexico over Tecate or Corona but has previous little else to recommend. The Dos Equis Amber is better without being spectacular, for what's its worth. (1,120 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

There's a whole lot of Mexican American Adjunct Lagers out there and this one actually professes to be the work of a German brewmaster. It holds little German influence but ranks better than most Mexican beers as I was not compelled to throw a lime in it. For the most part the palate is met with a barley grain but hints of rice and a corn sugar sweetness take hold. The feel is very crisp, sugary sweet and a tad thicker than others from south of the border. This is better than some worst than others and right around OK. (524 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -44.5%

I personally did not care for this beer. It tasted very watery. I cannot give a fair analysis of the smell, appearance or mouthfeel because I don't remember it all that well as it has been a while since I've had it but the taste didn't do anything for me. (255 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Golden. Super clear. Decent head leaves an OK lace.
Smell: Honey and lemon.
Taste: More honey and lemon.

Yes, it's pretty mediocre. It has that sweet corn smell and taste that is expected, but it's really not that bad at all. I would absolutely enjoy this during or after a hard working day on a farm in the hot sun. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to pick this up. (383 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -18%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. My first bottle of Dos Equis, gifted to me from my neighbor.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear grainy lager gold. Two fingers of fluffy white head that goes down fast. Looks okay.

S - Smell is of cooked grains, corn, & musty pilsner malt.

T - Taste is the same. Spent grains, wet paperboard, and corn / huskiness. Very papery and grainy. Some lightly off-putting medicinal flavors in there too.

M - Feel is crisp, clean, and grainy. No real lingering flavor of any kind.

Overall, it's pretty bad, but it is about what I was expecting. Just another cheap adjunct lager in an enormous vastness of cheap adjunct lagers. Not recommended.

Dos Equis Lager Especial ---2/5. (762 characters)

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.