Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 567 | Hads: 2,474
3.3/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

It has a slight distinct taste from other macro lagers out there. Overall, for what it is, it's pretty good. Doesn't taste or smell skunky like other macros out there. Maybe not the best macro lager but not bad either. Taste is good, but mouth feel could be better. Overall worth a try if you're into macro lagers

1.75/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I think I'M the most interesting man in the world. I don't often drink adjunct lagers, but when I do, I definitely do NOT prefer Dos Equis. This beer is not even close to being interesting, so don't stay thirsty my friends for this beer. Save your money and buy a better and lower priced AAL, my friends.

2.14/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Extremely pale golden brew, with a decent white foamy head with good retention. Brew looks a little sickly, which isn't helped by being served in a frosted mug.

Aroma is overly sweet and malty; a touch of grass and corn.

Incredibly sweet (in a sickly way) flavor, with little beyond corn, rice, and pale malt. Really the bottom of the barrel for AALs.

Nice lively mouthfeel, but with a sickly, oily aftertaste and (thankfully, in this case) short finish.

I had mild hopes for this one, but it ended up being one of the worst AALs - and beers overall - I've ever had.

2.74/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Drunk from a 355 mL can (stamped "210715") while at Hyatt Ziva in Puerto Vallarta. Light flavored with basic grainy malt body, cooked corn and mild hop spice and bitterness. Light to medium body and decent carbonation. Another drinkable lager, great for sun and beach, but nothing special.

Serving: 355 mL Bottle

A- Golden Straw Golden Colour. 1 finger white head.

S- Corn and slight Citrus

T- Slight Citrus and more Corn.

M-Medium Carbonation, light body.

O- Easy drinking Lager that's much better than Corona and it's just as available. No Lime Necessary.

2.28/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Brilliant straw color. Generous foamy 2 finger white head, lasting 2 -3 minutes, strong legs and high activity.

Faint flavors and aromas of corn, saaz, citrus, with slight skunky and metallic smell.
Sharp with hints of sugar and a smoky feel.

Light body with excessive prickly carbonation. Faint and short finish on the bitter end with a lemony aftertaste.

Overall : Poor flavors, too watery, and a little stale.

2.72/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

When you go to a mexican restaurant and the waiter tells you that they have dos equis, be sure its "ambar" (amber) or better drink something else. This is a very plain beer, adjuncts are present in aroma and taste.

2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

pours what you kind of expect an adjunct lager to pour. with this being said it definitely leads the pack in this category. Personally not a fan of beers that requires something like a lime to be drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This is a decent lager. I can't say anything bad about it. If you're biased towards to Mexican beer, such as Corona, make sure to leave that aside. This beer has a bad rep, but it sits well, and is good for having on the deck in the summer. That being said, there are many more better choices.

2.11/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there was no date on bottle that I could find.

APPEARANCE: Pours a clear light yellow color with less than one-finger white head that dissipated in less than one minute until there was just a ring of small bubbles around the edge of glass, minimal lacing, less than average carbonation, there were suspended bits of something floating about, this is not appropriate for the style.

SMELL: corn, grass and bread.

TASTE: there is very little sweetness from the malt up front, then the taste of corn, some grass and a mild hop bite.

PALATE: less than average carbonation for the style, medium body, a little watery.

OVERALL: This would barely pass as a lawnmower beer but, there are better choices even for that. I would never willingly consume this beer again. We seriously need to rethink NAFTA.

2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't hear too many positive reviews about Mexican beers, but I kinda like them. I can't imagine eating a nice Mexican dinner with a Heineken. Dos Equis is the perfect brew for that occasion. It's light and has just the right amount of that South O' the border maltiness. A twist of lime and you are set. Enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Pale yellow in color with a significant but fleeting head that retreats to minimal lacing. Smell and taste have some malt but adjuncts are clearly present. The mouth feel is a bit thin and the finish almost non-existent. I wouldn't turn one down, but Dos Equis Amber is a much better choice if both are available.

2.69/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Manzanita pint glass
From: Barons Market in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $1.39
Purchased: Oct. 22, 2014
Consumed: Oct. 22, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Poured a golden, pale, clear color with a finger of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Lots of streams of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. No lacing on the sides of the glass. No retention on the top. (Sight - 2.50)

Smelled honey, caramel, toffee and very light chocolate, a lot more maltier and better than I thought it would. Also grassy malts, light plum and skunky resin notes late. For the style, just a great smell. (Smell - 4.00)

Tasted more like I was expecting, which was much worse than the smell. Hardly any flavor. Honey, grass, corn, light metallic, light caramel and watery cereal. (Taste - 2.25)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish. (Feel - 2.25)

I’ve had this many times, but never rated it. The smell was really good for an AAL, but then it all went to hell. I won’t have this again unless I have a gun to my head. Even then I’d have to think about it. (Overall - 2.25)

2.69 | 63 | C-

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

Purchased at the LCBO as a single. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- 3.5- Opens well and pours a standard North American head

S- 3.75- Something is here. You want this.

T- 4.0- This is a wonderful simple beer. Enough said

M- 3.75- Nice

O- 3.88- This is what I wan to vote! Excellent beer

Food Pairing

This wonderful everyday beer goes well with..... Crab soup with Old Bay Seasoning

This beer sucks. Horrible lingering after taste. Tried it twice thinking maybe I had a bad batch the first time. But nope, it's just nasty all the time. You want a cheap beer to party with?? Tecate it's cheaper then this shit and way better.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

You know? As far as mainstream lagers go, I like it. It has a pleasant, almost sweet flavor and I can drink it all night if I want. Good for parties and large gatherings with a lot of non-craft beer people.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

Refreshing cold, but it had a big rice/corn aftertaste. I prefer shorter aftertaste so it's a bit biased review.

I think it goes well with food, but by itself the aftertaste starts to bug me. At a restaurant, it's a good choice.

$3.75 for a quart, local; so the price was nice.

2.61/5  rDev -3.7%

12-oz bottle into Pilsener glass

A - 3-finger white head over crystal-clear body of straw yellow, medium amount of rising carbonation

S - malty and corny, very plain

T - corn sweetness and hop spice, dry and grainy

M - highly-carbonated medium body, crisp and refreshing

O - pretty much par for the style

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

A much better alternative to Corona. One of my favorite "go to" beers when I feel like drinking something familiar and refreshing. Best during the summer.

3.54/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I personally like Dos Equis a lot because I find it super refreshing. There's not a ton of depth to it, but it tastes light and cool on a warm summer day. I enjoy the lightness and the tang. On the other hand, I also love a good dark beer, and this is about as far as you're going to get from that! ;)

2.02/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a pale golden, with a light white head. Very little lace in my Hacker Pschorr stein.

Nose is corny and adjunct malty. Not much here.

Taste is watery corn malts, and very bland. I get not a trace of hops in here. This is as plain a lager as there is.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

I had this in a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a slight glossy orange with a fair transparency about it. Streams of carbonation were seen rising to fill a foamy one finger white head. The lacing that appeared was somewhat there but all over the place.
The smell was a glazed over burnt caramel to cooked corn aroma.
The taste was basically the same.
The mouthfeel was somewhat smooth with a slight sweet corny/caramel aftertaste. There was a slight watery finish.
Overall, decent Amber lager, but nothing I need to really seek out. I'd only have again if I was handed this.

3.24/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dos Equis is a decent pale beer if enjoyed in it's proper place, which to me is as a chaser. More on that in a moment.

The brew itself is a pale gold, and tells you right away that it is going to taste thin, with no real bold flavors. It smells very inoffensive, which I like, with no overpowering smell of hops, barley, or wheat.

The taste is quite mild, with just a hint of earth. To me, the strongest taste was a slight saltiness, which is why I like it as a chaser. The mouthfeel is similar to water, with no notable heft.

I first tried Dos Equis in Cozumel, Mexico. I found that it pairs quite well as a chaser to a sweeter liquor. My personal favorite pairing is DiSarrono on the rocks with a Dos Equis to clear the sweetness off the palate in between.

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Golden hued with good clarity. Minimal head barely covers part of the top of this beer. Aroma of light grain and corn is prevalent. Mouth is thin and watery. I get pretty much entirely corn with the flavor and a bit of Saaz hops. Another hot weather brew that is highly quaffable.

3.18/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a glass.

A-real thin 1/4 inch head, gone in seconds, clear color resembling golden straw

S-good, not sure how to even describe it though

T-ok, don't even know how to describe it, I'm new at this

M-watery, bubbly

O-ok beer, nothing impressive about flavor or experience

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.