Follow our progress ...

Dos Equis Special Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
poor
Read the review

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Todd on 11-02-2001

Reviews: 587 | Ratings: 2,604
2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

pours what you kind of expect an adjunct lager to pour. with this being said it definitely leads the pack in this category. Personally not a fan of beers that requires something like a lime to be drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This is a decent lager. I can't say anything bad about it. If you're biased towards to Mexican beer, such as Corona, make sure to leave that aside. This beer has a bad rep, but it sits well, and is good for having on the deck in the summer. That being said, there are many more better choices.

2.11/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there was no date on bottle that I could find.

APPEARANCE: Pours a clear light yellow color with less than one-finger white head that dissipated in less than one minute until there was just a ring of small bubbles around the edge of glass, minimal lacing, less than average carbonation, there were suspended bits of something floating about, this is not appropriate for the style.

SMELL: corn, grass and bread.

TASTE: there is very little sweetness from the malt up front, then the taste of corn, some grass and a mild hop bite.

PALATE: less than average carbonation for the style, medium body, a little watery.

OVERALL: This would barely pass as a lawnmower beer but, there are better choices even for that. I would never willingly consume this beer again. We seriously need to rethink NAFTA.

2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't hear too many positive reviews about Mexican beers, but I kinda like them. I can't imagine eating a nice Mexican dinner with a Heineken. Dos Equis is the perfect brew for that occasion. It's light and has just the right amount of that South O' the border maltiness. A twist of lime and you are set. Enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Pale yellow in color with a significant but fleeting head that retreats to minimal lacing. Smell and taste have some malt but adjuncts are clearly present. The mouth feel is a bit thin and the finish almost non-existent. I wouldn't turn one down, but Dos Equis Amber is a much better choice if both are available.

2.69/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Manzanita pint glass
From: Barons Market in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $1.39
Purchased: Oct. 22, 2014
Consumed: Oct. 22, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Poured a golden, pale, clear color with a finger of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Lots of streams of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. No lacing on the sides of the glass. No retention on the top. (Sight - 2.50)

Smelled honey, caramel, toffee and very light chocolate, a lot more maltier and better than I thought it would. Also grassy malts, light plum and skunky resin notes late. For the style, just a great smell. (Smell - 4.00)

Tasted more like I was expecting, which was much worse than the smell. Hardly any flavor. Honey, grass, corn, light metallic, light caramel and watery cereal. (Taste - 2.25)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish. (Feel - 2.25)

I’ve had this many times, but never rated it. The smell was really good for an AAL, but then it all went to hell. I won’t have this again unless I have a gun to my head. Even then I’d have to think about it. (Overall - 2.25)

2.69 | 63 | C-

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

Purchased at the LCBO as a single. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- 3.5- Opens well and pours a standard North American head

S- 3.75- Something is here. You want this.

T- 4.0- This is a wonderful simple beer. Enough said

M- 3.75- Nice

O- 3.88- This is what I wan to vote! Excellent beer

Food Pairing

This wonderful everyday beer goes well with..... Crab soup with Old Bay Seasoning

Enjoy!!

This beer sucks. Horrible lingering after taste. Tried it twice thinking maybe I had a bad batch the first time. But nope, it's just nasty all the time. You want a cheap beer to party with?? Tecate it's cheaper then this shit and way better.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

You know? As far as mainstream lagers go, I like it. It has a pleasant, almost sweet flavor and I can drink it all night if I want. Good for parties and large gatherings with a lot of non-craft beer people.

1.63/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Another watery, tasteless pale lager. Not much going for this lager, except that it was cold and wet. Very little in the way of flavor or aroma, typical cereal grain body and overall watery palate. Beer flavored water,,,,,

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

Refreshing cold, but it had a big rice/corn aftertaste. I prefer shorter aftertaste so it's a bit biased review.

I think it goes well with food, but by itself the aftertaste starts to bug me. At a restaurant, it's a good choice.

$3.75 for a quart, local; so the price was nice.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz green bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- has a slight skunky aroma with a bit of hops Appearance- A very pale yellow, with a heavy dose of carbonation. Head is a thin white strip. Taste: On first sip the crisp light body is noticed. Has a malt / corn flavor also. Palate- as noted this beer has a light body with heavy carbonation, this beer goes well with food, especially spicy food. Overall- a food beer that does not disrupt the flavor of a meal and it can be consumed in mass!! Not a bad beer to have when one is not enough.

2.61/5  rDev -3.7%

12-oz bottle into Pilsener glass

A - 3-finger white head over crystal-clear body of straw yellow, medium amount of rising carbonation

S - malty and corny, very plain

T - corn sweetness and hop spice, dry and grainy

M - highly-carbonated medium body, crisp and refreshing

O - pretty much par for the style

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

A much better alternative to Corona. One of my favorite "go to" beers when I feel like drinking something familiar and refreshing. Best during the summer.

3.54/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I personally like Dos Equis a lot because I find it super refreshing. There's not a ton of depth to it, but it tastes light and cool on a warm summer day. I enjoy the lightness and the tang. On the other hand, I also love a good dark beer, and this is about as far as you're going to get from that! ;)

2.02/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a pale golden, with a light white head. Very little lace in my Hacker Pschorr stein.

Nose is corny and adjunct malty. Not much here.

Taste is watery corn malts, and very bland. I get not a trace of hops in here. This is as plain a lager as there is.

Bleah.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

I had this in a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a slight glossy orange with a fair transparency about it. Streams of carbonation were seen rising to fill a foamy one finger white head. The lacing that appeared was somewhat there but all over the place.
The smell was a glazed over burnt caramel to cooked corn aroma.
The taste was basically the same.
The mouthfeel was somewhat smooth with a slight sweet corny/caramel aftertaste. There was a slight watery finish.
Overall, decent Amber lager, but nothing I need to really seek out. I'd only have again if I was handed this.

3.24/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dos Equis is a decent pale beer if enjoyed in it's proper place, which to me is as a chaser. More on that in a moment.

The brew itself is a pale gold, and tells you right away that it is going to taste thin, with no real bold flavors. It smells very inoffensive, which I like, with no overpowering smell of hops, barley, or wheat.

The taste is quite mild, with just a hint of earth. To me, the strongest taste was a slight saltiness, which is why I like it as a chaser. The mouthfeel is similar to water, with no notable heft.

I first tried Dos Equis in Cozumel, Mexico. I found that it pairs quite well as a chaser to a sweeter liquor. My personal favorite pairing is DiSarrono on the rocks with a Dos Equis to clear the sweetness off the palate in between.

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Golden hued with good clarity. Minimal head barely covers part of the top of this beer. Aroma of light grain and corn is prevalent. Mouth is thin and watery. I get pretty much entirely corn with the flavor and a bit of Saaz hops. Another hot weather brew that is highly quaffable.

3.18/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a glass.

A-real thin 1/4 inch head, gone in seconds, clear color resembling golden straw

S-good, not sure how to even describe it though

T-ok, don't even know how to describe it, I'm new at this

M-watery, bubbly

O-ok beer, nothing impressive about flavor or experience

2.18/5  rDev -19.6%

The beer comes in a clear straw collor.

The aroma is grainy, slightly stale, a bit of breadiness.

The beer is pretty lacking in flavor. A grainy flavor throughout with sweet corn. It finishes off with a hint of hops, but mostly stale flavors.

A relatively clean drinking beer, but very lacking in flavor.

2.47/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

it was ok. tried it for the first time. it was a hoppy for my taste I like stout. they have a good taste texture and look. it wasn't bad that looking and it was not that hoppy but just a little to hoppy for me. everyone likes different things. if you would like to try it its ok not to hoppy which is a good thing for me

2.97/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into a 12oz glass. Pours translucent straw with a small white head that dissipates quickly leaving nothing. Smells of sweet grain but very weakly. Tastes of sweet grain not much else, but a fuller flavor than most adjuncts. Beer is light bodied nice carbonation, crisp finish. Overall an average beer.

I had high expectations from this beer, possibly because of the good marketing. This is by far the worst beer I ever smelled and tasted. I tried it warm and ice cold, both had a greasy scent. Almost like left over grease smell. I am not the pickiest beer enthusiast either, I just love beer but the awfulness brought me here to rate.

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: foamy white 1" head which recedes rapidly leaving scant lacing. Color is straw golden. Moderate carbonation bubbles.
Aroma: corn and lightly toasted barley.
Mouthfeel: fairly crisp, watery, dry finish.
Flavor: sweet corn, slight biscuit, and very little hop presence.
Overall: decent, but nothing to get excited about.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.