Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Dos Equis Special Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
poor
Read the review

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Todd on 11-02-2001

Reviews: 574 | Ratings: 2,551
2.61/5  rDev -3.7%

12-oz bottle into Pilsener glass

A - 3-finger white head over crystal-clear body of straw yellow, medium amount of rising carbonation

S - malty and corny, very plain

T - corn sweetness and hop spice, dry and grainy

M - highly-carbonated medium body, crisp and refreshing

O - pretty much par for the style

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

A much better alternative to Corona. One of my favorite "go to" beers when I feel like drinking something familiar and refreshing. Best during the summer.

3.54/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I personally like Dos Equis a lot because I find it super refreshing. There's not a ton of depth to it, but it tastes light and cool on a warm summer day. I enjoy the lightness and the tang. On the other hand, I also love a good dark beer, and this is about as far as you're going to get from that! ;)

2.02/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a pale golden, with a light white head. Very little lace in my Hacker Pschorr stein.

Nose is corny and adjunct malty. Not much here.

Taste is watery corn malts, and very bland. I get not a trace of hops in here. This is as plain a lager as there is.

Bleah.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

I had this in a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a slight glossy orange with a fair transparency about it. Streams of carbonation were seen rising to fill a foamy one finger white head. The lacing that appeared was somewhat there but all over the place.
The smell was a glazed over burnt caramel to cooked corn aroma.
The taste was basically the same.
The mouthfeel was somewhat smooth with a slight sweet corny/caramel aftertaste. There was a slight watery finish.
Overall, decent Amber lager, but nothing I need to really seek out. I'd only have again if I was handed this.

3.24/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dos Equis is a decent pale beer if enjoyed in it's proper place, which to me is as a chaser. More on that in a moment.

The brew itself is a pale gold, and tells you right away that it is going to taste thin, with no real bold flavors. It smells very inoffensive, which I like, with no overpowering smell of hops, barley, or wheat.

The taste is quite mild, with just a hint of earth. To me, the strongest taste was a slight saltiness, which is why I like it as a chaser. The mouthfeel is similar to water, with no notable heft.

I first tried Dos Equis in Cozumel, Mexico. I found that it pairs quite well as a chaser to a sweeter liquor. My personal favorite pairing is DiSarrono on the rocks with a Dos Equis to clear the sweetness off the palate in between.

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Golden hued with good clarity. Minimal head barely covers part of the top of this beer. Aroma of light grain and corn is prevalent. Mouth is thin and watery. I get pretty much entirely corn with the flavor and a bit of Saaz hops. Another hot weather brew that is highly quaffable.

3.18/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a glass.

A-real thin 1/4 inch head, gone in seconds, clear color resembling golden straw

S-good, not sure how to even describe it though

T-ok, don't even know how to describe it, I'm new at this

M-watery, bubbly

O-ok beer, nothing impressive about flavor or experience

2.18/5  rDev -19.6%

The beer comes in a clear straw collor.

The aroma is grainy, slightly stale, a bit of breadiness.

The beer is pretty lacking in flavor. A grainy flavor throughout with sweet corn. It finishes off with a hint of hops, but mostly stale flavors.

A relatively clean drinking beer, but very lacking in flavor.

2.47/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

it was ok. tried it for the first time. it was a hoppy for my taste I like stout. they have a good taste texture and look. it wasn't bad that looking and it was not that hoppy but just a little to hoppy for me. everyone likes different things. if you would like to try it its ok not to hoppy which is a good thing for me

2.97/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into a 12oz glass. Pours translucent straw with a small white head that dissipates quickly leaving nothing. Smells of sweet grain but very weakly. Tastes of sweet grain not much else, but a fuller flavor than most adjuncts. Beer is light bodied nice carbonation, crisp finish. Overall an average beer.

I had high expectations from this beer, possibly because of the good marketing. This is by far the worst beer I ever smelled and tasted. I tried it warm and ice cold, both had a greasy scent. Almost like left over grease smell. I am not the pickiest beer enthusiast either, I just love beer but the awfulness brought me here to rate.

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: foamy white 1" head which recedes rapidly leaving scant lacing. Color is straw golden. Moderate carbonation bubbles.
Aroma: corn and lightly toasted barley.
Mouthfeel: fairly crisp, watery, dry finish.
Flavor: sweet corn, slight biscuit, and very little hop presence.
Overall: decent, but nothing to get excited about.

2.58/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the green bottle into a shaker pint glass, pub fare after I tried the only craft offering in the house (Rogue Dead Guy Ale, if you care). First off, yes, it is better than Corona or Sol. I'd propose that said feat is not difficult to achieve. Secondly, while there is indeed some German lager character present, one has to dig deep to appreciate this feature. A light honey hue with tons of white bubbles, smells vaguely sour and metallic, old wet grain and a skunky vegetal note that for some reason reminds me of cilantro. Perhaps I am smelling some noble hop or noble hop extract. Tastes like fizzy alcoholic water with some faint lemon rind and green apple character ... Actually, the apple isn't all that faint. The skunk spray effect coupled with the fruitiness (presumably acetaldehyde) and a decent dose of cooked corn yield this soapy pungent herbal note that again makes me think cilantro, and by and large this beer remains something I'd drink in Mexico over Tecate or Corona but has previous little else to recommend. The Dos Equis Amber is better without being spectacular, for what's its worth.

2.89/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

There's a whole lot of Mexican American Adjunct Lagers out there and this one actually professes to be the work of a German brewmaster. It holds little German influence but ranks better than most Mexican beers as I was not compelled to throw a lime in it. For the most part the palate is met with a barley grain but hints of rice and a corn sugar sweetness take hold. The feel is very crisp, sugary sweet and a tad thicker than others from south of the border. This is better than some worst than others and right around OK.

1.51/5  rDev -44.3%

I personally did not care for this beer. It tasted very watery. I cannot give a fair analysis of the smell, appearance or mouthfeel because I don't remember it all that well as it has been a while since I've had it but the taste didn't do anything for me.

3.27/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Golden. Super clear. Decent head leaves an OK lace.
Smell: Honey and lemon.
Taste: More honey and lemon.

Yes, it's pretty mediocre. It has that sweet corn smell and taste that is expected, but it's really not that bad at all. I would absolutely enjoy this during or after a hard working day on a farm in the hot sun. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to pick this up.

2.23/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. My first bottle of Dos Equis, gifted to me from my neighbor.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear grainy lager gold. Two fingers of fluffy white head that goes down fast. Looks okay.

S - Smell is of cooked grains, corn, & musty pilsner malt.

T - Taste is the same. Spent grains, wet paperboard, and corn / huskiness. Very papery and grainy. Some lightly off-putting medicinal flavors in there too.

M - Feel is crisp, clean, and grainy. No real lingering flavor of any kind.

Overall, it's pretty bad, but it is about what I was expecting. Just another cheap adjunct lager in an enormous vastness of cheap adjunct lagers. Not recommended.

Dos Equis Lager Especial ---2/5.

3.46/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden, clear and with a fat white head of foam that fell fast to a thin layer of loose bubbles on top and a small ring. Nose is clean, thin malt with a hint of sweetness. Just a slight breath from the hops a very whisper of floral. No fruit. Taste is crisp , clean, dry and lightly sweet. The body is moderate, the carbonation is perfect. Bites a little but is not fizzy. No fruit flavors except for a hint of citrus at the very end of the swallow and a very slight touch of hop bitter that adds more to the mouthfeel than to the taste.

What I like about this beer is that it does not have that characteristic and ever intensifying AAL sweetness that lasts much too long into the after taste. Remarkably fresh, light, thin, balanced and delicious. I liked this beer more than I ever thought I would.

1.93/5  rDev -28.8%

Sorry but it's very hard to give this beer a decent rating. This one was left over from a recent gathering of friends so I figured why not you know. But I'm not joking when I say that this may be less flavorful than bud light or coors light. I don't even think that this is a light lager even. Tick tick tick . . .

2.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

473 ml can served cold into a pint glass. Re-reviewing as I hadn't had a full review yet and what to see how prior opinion stacked up.

Appearance - Rather aggressive pour yielded 3 fingers of white head that lasted for a little while and left trace lacing around the rim of the glass. Crystal clear with very few bubbles.

Smell - Some cooked veggies in there with the usual faint grainy aromas and little else. Not inspiring.

Taste - Sweet corn adjuncts lead the charge and there's little else of substance. Nothing offputting though.

Mouthfeel - Moderate finish, low carbonation and very soft feel in the mouth which isn't a great characteristic for a lager like this.

Overall - Mediocre but drinkable lawnmower beer, but this isn't anything i would purchase on my own again.

3.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a green longneck bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour brings about a very short-lived 1/2 inch bubbly white head. This reduces to little islets of foam in about a minute with very little if any lacing on the sides of the glass. The little islets hang around though. The beer is a pale golden with moderate carbonation.

I definitely get some skunk on the nose. The taste is also a bit skunky with a little bit of leafy hops and a distinct but very light malt sweetness. Very little bitterness is apparent, with not even much of an aftertaste on the burps. The mouthfeel is maybe a little thin but not unexpected for the style. It does have some decent carbonation despite the lack of head and stickiness

This is a very clean, light and refreshing brew that would go perfectly fine on a hot day and/or with Mexican cuisine. I know from experience that I tire of this kind of skunky Caribbean beer, but one or three are certainly fine. In other words, there's nothing too special here, but certainly not much to complain about either. I got this from the oddball rack at Albertson's and paid one dollar (no freshness date, but it doesn't taste stale).

I would love to know more about the story of the German expatriots in Mexico, and the invention of this beer to commemorate the arrival of the 20th century. I wonder what this beer tasted like in 1900?

I don't agree that this beer should be classified as AAL. I think the BA needs a new category, such as "Caribbean Lager".

4.26/5  rDev +57.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good tastng beer in my opinion. Way better choice than Coors Lite or Bud Light. Smooth and good taste. Way too many people on here complain a lot but i think its a great beer. I may not be a huge beer person but i know what i like and what i recommend.

1.78/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Dos Equis, odd but this is the 1st full beer I ever had, it was at my future father in-laws, 1989-90? I remember getting a headache.

Poured the beer into a lager mug. Pale gold, head non existent, left a little lacing.

Would it be odd to say I thought I smelled a babies diaper with the first wiff? Well off to a great start. Other than that 1st suprise, it has faint to little aroma.

Taste, bitter, dry, metallic. Nothing good, actually I dont know what to say. I guess I could slam this down ice cold on a hot day. I dont normally toss a beer out, but I dont think I have it in me to finish. As it warms it sours. Man not nice. Mouthfeel? Nothing the negatives outweigh everything. The bottle of Titos is calling me from a state just north of the border.

I say leave the XX across the Rio Grande.

2.94/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Deep golden color with a white head which disappears almost instantly.
Aroma: Non-distinct beer smell
Flavor: Smooth non distinct beer taste, void of any hoppiness. Light bodied slightly acidic carbonation.
Overall: This is not a bad tasting beer, it just doesn't have much of a taste. It has a smooth start which is interrupted with an unpleasant acid carbonation. A decent beer on a scorning hot day. For those of you who "don't always drink beer, but when you do …“; i.e., if you are a non beer drinker, this is a good choice for you.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.