Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,395 | Reviews: 596
2.53/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Fairly typical pale lager that's drinkable & more substantial than others in its class.

They should just make the Amber and call it a day.

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light and crisp, similar to Corona, but I think a bit more flavor. Always best with a wedge of lime and a pinch of salt. Easy to find.

2.85/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This or modelo especially are my go to Mexican beer

2.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not bad while sitting pool/ocean side in Mexico.

3.75/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Its a really good beer

1.87/5  rDev -31.8%

Decent... but can end up tasting like blood and/or rust half the time.

2.66/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Great bbq beer during the summer, drink only the green bottles.

2.6/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't hear too many positive reviews about Mexican beers, but I kinda like them. I can't imagine eating a nice Mexican dinner with a Heineken. Dos Equis is the perfect brew for that occasion. It's light and has just the right amount of that South O' the border maltiness. A twist of lime and you are set. Enjoy.

3.75/5  rDev +36.9%

Smooth. Drinkable. Decent flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%

It's not good. But it is definitely not Natty.

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

Not bad. Has some bite to it

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

Pale yellow in color with a significant but fleeting head that retreats to minimal lacing. Smell and taste have some malt but adjuncts are clearly present. The mouth feel is a bit thin and the finish almost non-existent. I wouldn't turn one down, but Dos Equis Amber is a much better choice if both are available.

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Manzanita pint glass
From: Barons Market in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $1.39
Purchased: Oct. 22, 2014
Consumed: Oct. 22, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Poured a golden, pale, clear color with a finger of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Lots of streams of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. No lacing on the sides of the glass. No retention on the top. (Sight - 2.50)

Smelled honey, caramel, toffee and very light chocolate, a lot more maltier and better than I thought it would. Also grassy malts, light plum and skunky resin notes late. For the style, just a great smell. (Smell - 4.00)

Tasted more like I was expecting, which was much worse than the smell. Hardly any flavor. Honey, grass, corn, light metallic, light caramel and watery cereal. (Taste - 2.25)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish. (Feel - 2.25)

I’ve had this many times, but never rated it. The smell was really good for an AAL, but then it all went to hell. I won’t have this again unless I have a gun to my head. Even then I’d have to think about it. (Overall - 2.25)

2.61 | 62 | C-

Purchased at the LCBO as a single. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- 3.5- Opens well and pours a standard North American head

S- 3.75- Something is here. You want this.

T- 4.0- This is a wonderful simple beer. Enough said

M- 3.75- Nice

O- 3.88- This is what I wan to vote! Excellent beer

Food Pairing

This wonderful everyday beer goes well with..... Crab soup with Old Bay Seasoning

Enjoy!!

Horrible. I'm no beer geek but this is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. No hops, no flavor at all. Watery bread and piss. Yuck.

This beer sucks. Horrible lingering after taste. Tried it twice thinking maybe I had a bad batch the first time. But nope, it's just nasty all the time. You want a cheap beer to party with?? Tecate it's cheaper then this shit and way better.

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

You know? As far as mainstream lagers go, I like it. It has a pleasant, almost sweet flavor and I can drink it all night if I want. Good for parties and large gatherings with a lot of non-craft beer people.

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

Refreshing cold, but it had a big rice/corn aftertaste. I prefer shorter aftertaste so it's a bit biased review.

I think it goes well with food, but by itself the aftertaste starts to bug me. At a restaurant, it's a good choice.

$3.75 for a quart, local; so the price was nice.

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%

12-oz bottle into Pilsener glass

A - 3-finger white head over crystal-clear body of straw yellow, medium amount of rising carbonation

S - malty and corny, very plain

T - corn sweetness and hop spice, dry and grainy

M - highly-carbonated medium body, crisp and refreshing

O - pretty much par for the style

3.65/5  rDev +33.2%

A much better alternative to Corona. One of my favorite "go to" beers when I feel like drinking something familiar and refreshing. Best during the summer.

3.54/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I personally like Dos Equis a lot because I find it super refreshing. There's not a ton of depth to it, but it tastes light and cool on a warm summer day. I enjoy the lightness and the tang. On the other hand, I also love a good dark beer, and this is about as far as you're going to get from that! ;)

2.02/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a pale golden, with a light white head. Very little lace in my Hacker Pschorr stein.

Nose is corny and adjunct malty. Not much here.

Taste is watery corn malts, and very bland. I get not a trace of hops in here. This is as plain a lager as there is.

Bleah.

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

I had this in a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a slight glossy orange with a fair transparency about it. Streams of carbonation were seen rising to fill a foamy one finger white head. The lacing that appeared was somewhat there but all over the place.
The smell was a glazed over burnt caramel to cooked corn aroma.
The taste was basically the same.
The mouthfeel was somewhat smooth with a slight sweet corny/caramel aftertaste. There was a slight watery finish.
Overall, decent Amber lager, but nothing I need to really seek out. I'd only have again if I was handed this.

3.24/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dos Equis is a decent pale beer if enjoyed in it's proper place, which to me is as a chaser. More on that in a moment.

The brew itself is a pale gold, and tells you right away that it is going to taste thin, with no real bold flavors. It smells very inoffensive, which I like, with no overpowering smell of hops, barley, or wheat.

The taste is quite mild, with just a hint of earth. To me, the strongest taste was a slight saltiness, which is why I like it as a chaser. The mouthfeel is similar to water, with no notable heft.

I first tried Dos Equis in Cozumel, Mexico. I found that it pairs quite well as a chaser to a sweeter liquor. My personal favorite pairing is DiSarrono on the rocks with a Dos Equis to clear the sweetness off the palate in between.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.