Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 567 | Hads: 2,474
2.18/5  rDev -19.6%

The beer comes in a clear straw collor.

The aroma is grainy, slightly stale, a bit of breadiness.

The beer is pretty lacking in flavor. A grainy flavor throughout with sweet corn. It finishes off with a hint of hops, but mostly stale flavors.

A relatively clean drinking beer, but very lacking in flavor.

2.47/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

it was ok. tried it for the first time. it was a hoppy for my taste I like stout. they have a good taste texture and look. it wasn't bad that looking and it was not that hoppy but just a little to hoppy for me. everyone likes different things. if you would like to try it its ok not to hoppy which is a good thing for me

2.97/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into a 12oz glass. Pours translucent straw with a small white head that dissipates quickly leaving nothing. Smells of sweet grain but very weakly. Tastes of sweet grain not much else, but a fuller flavor than most adjuncts. Beer is light bodied nice carbonation, crisp finish. Overall an average beer.

I had high expectations from this beer, possibly because of the good marketing. This is by far the worst beer I ever smelled and tasted. I tried it warm and ice cold, both had a greasy scent. Almost like left over grease smell. I am not the pickiest beer enthusiast either, I just love beer but the awfulness brought me here to rate.

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: foamy white 1" head which recedes rapidly leaving scant lacing. Color is straw golden. Moderate carbonation bubbles.
Aroma: corn and lightly toasted barley.
Mouthfeel: fairly crisp, watery, dry finish.
Flavor: sweet corn, slight biscuit, and very little hop presence.
Overall: decent, but nothing to get excited about.

2.58/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the green bottle into a shaker pint glass, pub fare after I tried the only craft offering in the house (Rogue Dead Guy Ale, if you care). First off, yes, it is better than Corona or Sol. I'd propose that said feat is not difficult to achieve. Secondly, while there is indeed some German lager character present, one has to dig deep to appreciate this feature. A light honey hue with tons of white bubbles, smells vaguely sour and metallic, old wet grain and a skunky vegetal note that for some reason reminds me of cilantro. Perhaps I am smelling some noble hop or noble hop extract. Tastes like fizzy alcoholic water with some faint lemon rind and green apple character ... Actually, the apple isn't all that faint. The skunk spray effect coupled with the fruitiness (presumably acetaldehyde) and a decent dose of cooked corn yield this soapy pungent herbal note that again makes me think cilantro, and by and large this beer remains something I'd drink in Mexico over Tecate or Corona but has previous little else to recommend. The Dos Equis Amber is better without being spectacular, for what's its worth.

2.89/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

There's a whole lot of Mexican American Adjunct Lagers out there and this one actually professes to be the work of a German brewmaster. It holds little German influence but ranks better than most Mexican beers as I was not compelled to throw a lime in it. For the most part the palate is met with a barley grain but hints of rice and a corn sugar sweetness take hold. The feel is very crisp, sugary sweet and a tad thicker than others from south of the border. This is better than some worst than others and right around OK.

1.51/5  rDev -44.3%

I personally did not care for this beer. It tasted very watery. I cannot give a fair analysis of the smell, appearance or mouthfeel because I don't remember it all that well as it has been a while since I've had it but the taste didn't do anything for me.

3.27/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Golden. Super clear. Decent head leaves an OK lace.
Smell: Honey and lemon.
Taste: More honey and lemon.

Yes, it's pretty mediocre. It has that sweet corn smell and taste that is expected, but it's really not that bad at all. I would absolutely enjoy this during or after a hard working day on a farm in the hot sun. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to pick this up.

2.23/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. My first bottle of Dos Equis, gifted to me from my neighbor.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear grainy lager gold. Two fingers of fluffy white head that goes down fast. Looks okay.

S - Smell is of cooked grains, corn, & musty pilsner malt.

T - Taste is the same. Spent grains, wet paperboard, and corn / huskiness. Very papery and grainy. Some lightly off-putting medicinal flavors in there too.

M - Feel is crisp, clean, and grainy. No real lingering flavor of any kind.

Overall, it's pretty bad, but it is about what I was expecting. Just another cheap adjunct lager in an enormous vastness of cheap adjunct lagers. Not recommended.

Dos Equis Lager Especial ---2/5.

3.46/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden, clear and with a fat white head of foam that fell fast to a thin layer of loose bubbles on top and a small ring. Nose is clean, thin malt with a hint of sweetness. Just a slight breath from the hops a very whisper of floral. No fruit. Taste is crisp , clean, dry and lightly sweet. The body is moderate, the carbonation is perfect. Bites a little but is not fizzy. No fruit flavors except for a hint of citrus at the very end of the swallow and a very slight touch of hop bitter that adds more to the mouthfeel than to the taste.

What I like about this beer is that it does not have that characteristic and ever intensifying AAL sweetness that lasts much too long into the after taste. Remarkably fresh, light, thin, balanced and delicious. I liked this beer more than I ever thought I would.

1.93/5  rDev -28.8%

Sorry but it's very hard to give this beer a decent rating. This one was left over from a recent gathering of friends so I figured why not you know. But I'm not joking when I say that this may be less flavorful than bud light or coors light. I don't even think that this is a light lager even. Tick tick tick . . .

2.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

473 ml can served cold into a pint glass. Re-reviewing as I hadn't had a full review yet and what to see how prior opinion stacked up.

Appearance - Rather aggressive pour yielded 3 fingers of white head that lasted for a little while and left trace lacing around the rim of the glass. Crystal clear with very few bubbles.

Smell - Some cooked veggies in there with the usual faint grainy aromas and little else. Not inspiring.

Taste - Sweet corn adjuncts lead the charge and there's little else of substance. Nothing offputting though.

Mouthfeel - Moderate finish, low carbonation and very soft feel in the mouth which isn't a great characteristic for a lager like this.

Overall - Mediocre but drinkable lawnmower beer, but this isn't anything i would purchase on my own again.

3.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a green longneck bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour brings about a very short-lived 1/2 inch bubbly white head. This reduces to little islets of foam in about a minute with very little if any lacing on the sides of the glass. The little islets hang around though. The beer is a pale golden with moderate carbonation.

I definitely get some skunk on the nose. The taste is also a bit skunky with a little bit of leafy hops and a distinct but very light malt sweetness. Very little bitterness is apparent, with not even much of an aftertaste on the burps. The mouthfeel is maybe a little thin but not unexpected for the style. It does have some decent carbonation despite the lack of head and stickiness

This is a very clean, light and refreshing brew that would go perfectly fine on a hot day and/or with Mexican cuisine. I know from experience that I tire of this kind of skunky Caribbean beer, but one or three are certainly fine. In other words, there's nothing too special here, but certainly not much to complain about either. I got this from the oddball rack at Albertson's and paid one dollar (no freshness date, but it doesn't taste stale).

I would love to know more about the story of the German expatriots in Mexico, and the invention of this beer to commemorate the arrival of the 20th century. I wonder what this beer tasted like in 1900?

I don't agree that this beer should be classified as AAL. I think the BA needs a new category, such as "Caribbean Lager".

4.26/5  rDev +57.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good tastng beer in my opinion. Way better choice than Coors Lite or Bud Light. Smooth and good taste. Way too many people on here complain a lot but i think its a great beer. I may not be a huge beer person but i know what i like and what i recommend.

1.78/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Dos Equis, odd but this is the 1st full beer I ever had, it was at my future father in-laws, 1989-90? I remember getting a headache.

Poured the beer into a lager mug. Pale gold, head non existent, left a little lacing.

Would it be odd to say I thought I smelled a babies diaper with the first wiff? Well off to a great start. Other than that 1st suprise, it has faint to little aroma.

Taste, bitter, dry, metallic. Nothing good, actually I dont know what to say. I guess I could slam this down ice cold on a hot day. I dont normally toss a beer out, but I dont think I have it in me to finish. As it warms it sours. Man not nice. Mouthfeel? Nothing the negatives outweigh everything. The bottle of Titos is calling me from a state just north of the border.

I say leave the XX across the Rio Grande.

2.94/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Deep golden color with a white head which disappears almost instantly.
Aroma: Non-distinct beer smell
Flavor: Smooth non distinct beer taste, void of any hoppiness. Light bodied slightly acidic carbonation.
Overall: This is not a bad tasting beer, it just doesn't have much of a taste. It has a smooth start which is interrupted with an unpleasant acid carbonation. A decent beer on a scorning hot day. For those of you who "don't always drink beer, but when you do …“; i.e., if you are a non beer drinker, this is a good choice for you.

2.33/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A friend brought a six pack of these over on NYE and they're still in the fridge, so I guess it's time to review one.

A: Crystal clear very light yellow in color, though the color is so light it's nearly devoid of any color at all. A stream of carbonation bubbles is visible. Forms a rather measly, fizzy-bubbly white head that reduces fairly quickly. No lacing.

S: Smell is light and non-distinct. Basically some light corn notes and some light grassy hops.

T: Taste is pitiful. Very lightly flavored with a mild sweetness. Corn, biscuit, and light grains with a slightly fruity aftertaste.

M: Lighter bodied. Appropriate carbonation. Very mild bitterness. Leaves a sticky residue in the mouth.

O: I recall Dos Equis Amber being an unexciting, but acceptable beer, though I've got to admit I haven't had one in years. However, this Special Lager just isn't very good. Very little character to speak of and what is there isn't anything to brag about. I'm going to go squeeze a lime in it and hopefully that will make it taste like something better than what it is.

1.92/5  rDev -29.2%

I used to love this stuff when I was a kid in my early 20's, before I started experimenting with craft beer. I haven't had one in over 10 years, and saw a 16oz can on sale at the gas station and picked it up. After spoiling myself with a decade of sampling some of the finest beers in the world today, I didn't expect to care for it nowadays, and I was right. This is just your typical, lousy, run-of-the-mill American adjunct. Piss yellow, almost no head, and an even flatter flavor. This is even worse than Corona. It's basically Rolling Rock with a Mexican themed label. I let my desire for a little nostalgia rob me of $1.49. It won't be happening again.

2.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Gold color that is completely transparent, almost no head retention.

Smell: Smells how it looks, uneventful. Grains.

Taste: Better than its appearance, grainy, some corn.

Mouthfeel: Light, lightly carbonated, watery.

Overall: Probably my favorite Mexican beer that I know of, I have not had many. I think the green bottle ruined the taste a bit. LIght enough to drink all night. Not my favorite light beer, but I won't turn one down.

2.41/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Seemingly this is becoming a very popular beer up in Canada, despite not really resembling Corona.

The colour is very pale, not quite as pale as Corona, but it's very faint.
Aroma is faint, with some mild hop and corn notes coming through.
Taste is not bad, but I should say that there really isn't any taste to begin with. It's not as corny as some other Mexican lagers, and for that I commend it, but it is still a really sub-par beer. Feel is watery and uninteresting. Pass on this.

That said, this is a pretty good adjunct lager on the basis of taste, since I can finish the bottle no problem. Some of the local adjunct beers here are just junk.

3.47/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Do not know why this beer has sun low ratings. I don't think people realize it os not suppose to be a flavor monster. I love this beer when it is freeking got outside and I go in to one of my favorite restaurants and get a 24oz glass and it is freezing cold. It goes down super smooth, light hoppyness. Great beer if I'm looking for a light yet complex smooth flavor.

2.33/5  rDev -14%

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with no haze and a moderate effervescence. Head poured a quarter inch of white foam which dissipated immediately. Eh.

Smell: bland, slightly sour grainy aroma. Not enticing.

Taste: slightly sweet, grainy and a little bit sour. Not totally disgusting, but it's bland and uninspiring.

Mouthfeel: light body with a light-medium carbonation. Refreshing enough.

Overall: moderately refreshing but not good enough to warrant drinking a ton of it. That said, this is by far not the worst adjunct lager I've had.

3.2/5  rDev +18.1%

Straw color, clear. Lots of small bubble rising up. Thin, bright white head.

Cooked corn, sweet, grainy.

Very light in flavor. Grainy, grassy, corn. Hop bitterness is minimal. Finish is very crisp, clean, semi-dry. Body is very light and watery, crisp, clean, refreshing, semi-dry, moderate carbonation.

It's a decent beer. There's no off flavor, it's just bland. It's very refreshing and high drinkable.

1.73/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Goplden crystal beer with white foam that vanishes very fast,tiny bubbles, no lace.Aroma is no t present.Its taste is very poor,some kind of nothing, a very watery beer as many other industrial massive beers in market nowadays.Very light bodied, something to avoid for sure.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.