Dos Equis Special Lager - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Equis Special Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 566 | Hads: 2,469
2.54/5  rDev -6.3%

Drank from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, golden yellow color. A one-finger, tight, bubbly, bright white head topped the liquid, but it quickly dropped to a thin ring of foam. Tiny spots of lacing trickled down the glass.

Not much going on in the nose. Husky malts and cereal grains were noticeable. There was a slight skunky quality, but it quickly disappeared.

Like the aroma, the flavor profile was quite subdued. Husky malts were again apparent. Somewhat grainy and a bit rough around the edges. As the beer warmed, some tart, lemony, wheaty notes came forth. A touch of sulfur/skunk appeared in the finish.

The mouthfeel was exceptionally light and airy with an excessive, large bubbled effervescence. The liquid felt prickly, almost to the point of being stinging.

Between the light skunkiness and the subtle flavor profile, Dos Equis Special Lager was barely drinkable. It is definitely a far cry from their amber lager.

1.85/5  rDev -31.7%

Corona is a cheap watery bland beer. Dos Equis is Corona plus a more offensive overly-sweet adjunct malt flavor on top of the corn. Those who drink this beer will insist that it goes great with their spicy food, and I will say that so does water.

Well it starts off the color you would expect--yellow and pale. The smell is quite faint, but if you sniff intensely you'll discover what is yet to come with the flavor--again, that saccharin sweetness and that oh so stale corn. The mouthfeel is actually just fine for an ultra-thin beer (carbonation is pleasant) but that is all ruined by that awful aftertaste.

They may have a good marketing campaign, but the most interesting man in the world does not drink this beer...and he wasn't dumb enough to try it.

2.27/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Clear gold body, no head, moderate visible carbonation.

Smell: Stale bread and vegetables. Pretty bad, even for a Mexican beer.

Taste: Not a very strong flavor . It taste like water corn. That is it !

Mouthfeel: . Light bodied and with lots of fizzy carbonation

Overall : The best you can say is it’s easy drinking and relatively inoffensive, but that’s only because it doesn’t take like much of anything. I will pass on this one ever again, and not recomend it to anyone. There are much better beers for the price out their in the store.

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Nothin' like 'Free Beer From Work'ing the night away....

Poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler glass. The beer is very translucent yellow. A white head turns to a thick ring+slight cap quickly and remains that way, leaving some lace behind.

Straining to get any scent. I shouldn't have to try this hard really. Err pale malt graininess? Not offensive, but really not anything at all.

Taste is better, a clean pale lager that is easy to drink with no off-flavors. Pale, sweetish malts, some cereal/bread, buttery malt, even a bit of spicy hop flavor there. Though bland, not much else to complain about.

A decent mouthfeel on this one, good body and medium carbonation, no spikiness. Definitely better than most adjunct lagers.

Like it's brethren Corona, this doesn't deliver much for flavor as expected but is definitely a step above many in its style. The taste is decent, surprisingly good mouthfeel, no off-flavors, wouldn't mind throwing back a couple of these.

2.62/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottles, cans, draft; ive had this many a time and many ways, my buddy always seems to have this on hand in some way. Not worth a detailed analysis, lets just get to what to expect:

Pours a little stiller than the standard BMC beers, taste is more pleasant with a little grain taste and less skunkiness than most "Mexibeers". Its a real easy drinker on a hot day thanks to the wateriness and the low ABV. There were PBRs, Miller Lites and this in the fridge, I kept going with the XX's. Thats all the praise I'll offer this one.

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I had been curious about this particular beer for awhile, so I purchased a six pack of bottles at a local convenience store. Definitely not a great beer, but certainly not a bad one. The beer was a pale yellow with no real distinct odor that I was able to detect, although it had a slightly sweet smell to it. The taste was quite clean and rather on the light side. This is not the kind of beer that I would picture the most interesting man in the world drinking, but it would not be a bad beer served ice cold with some wings or good Mexican food.

2.67/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light straw color with rising bubbles. Fizzy white head that dissipates to a film. Light lacing that eventually disappears.

Aroma: Sweet cereal grains dominate, paper, rice.

Taste: Sweetness, cereal grains, corn. A notable paper quality.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, light.

Overall: The can is so much better than the bottle, but still one of my least favorite Mexican beers.

3.97/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pale straw color, foamy-fizzy head. Much carbonation.

S: Pleasant smells of some malts, kinda like a Heineken in some way that I couldn't explain. Really really faint though.

T: Has a fair amount of bitterness, but not a lot at the beginning and finishes very clean, has some taste of malts and adjunct but definitely not a lot.

M: Light, a tad bit watery. Easy to gulp down ice-cold on a hot day.

O: It's a nice beer, definitely not offensive, has great drinkability. All in all, it has it's place.

2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a pale yellow color with a big, foamy white head; little carbonation in the body. Funky, sour-like aroma. Fair flavor with just a hint of cereal. Good mouthfeel; clean, crisp, and dry.

Just an average beer for this style. The weird aroma really distracts from things as well. Drinkable? Sure. Makes you want more? Not unless there is absolutely nothing else available.

I'm shocked that this beer has so many "bad" reviews here on Beer Advocate. It is not bad, but only average. It is overwhelmingly average, so gargantually run-of-the-mill and ordinary that this is the first review that I have ever posted that awards five "3" grades in the ASTMO categories.

I had it with an average plate of wings at the mundane Buffalo Wild Wings in Tacoma on a Wednesday.

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

24oz can poured into a nonic glass.

A: Pours a clear light yellow gold with a 1 finger white head. Bit more head than your typical AAL but still fizzes away fairly quickly. Average visible carbonation.

S: Not much going on here, corn and other malts. Bit of sweetness that reminds me of cheap beer.

T: Same flavor you would expect from this style, a bit more on the sweet side of things.

M: Light body with average carbonation. A bit sticky on swallowing from the sweetness. Could be more crisp.

Overall not the best of the Mexican beers but inexpensive and great for a hot day. Bit too much corn going on.

1.89/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with a white, finger width head. Poor retention.

Smell - There's supposed to be a smell with this beer? Went and smelled the rodent cage just to be sure my nostrils were working. They are. I'm picking up almost nothing with this beer. Ghostly hint of grain and sweetness.

Taste - Follows the nose; almost nothing to be had here. Slight grain and residual sweetness. Finishes stale, like cardboard.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with a nice, crisp bite. Goes down smooth before a semi-dry finish.

Overall - So apparently the Most Interesting Man in the World drinks the most uninteresting beer in the world. Cool. I've had tap water with more character. Reading the date code, I believe this was bottled on January 30th, 2012. If these kinds of beers are supposed to quench one's thirst, then I guess everyone is taking Interesting Man's motto of "Stay thirsty, my friends" to heart. As indifferent as I am to this beer, it is a candidate for a re-review.

2.63/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Looking to get a cheap buzz, I bought a 24oz of Dos Equis, having never had it before. Well, here we go... I'll just skip the appearance since I had it straight from the can.

Smell: Don't ask me what I mean, because I'm not sure -- but it smells Mexican. Has a bit of spice/twang to it that I don't usually get out of adjuncts. Interesting to be sure, but not very inviting.

Taste/feel: The initial taste I actually quite like, as it's an adjunct flavor with a bit of pepper or something. The finish on this one (maybe because it's a can) is EXTREMELY metallic. If it weren't for that metallic/copper/blood taste that I'm getting, this could be a surprisingly tasty adjunct. That after taste pretty much ruins it for me though... which is a shame. The carbonation is medium/high, as well.

Overall, this trumps the Natty Daddy that I just had ... no contest. Natty had a bizarre sweetness to it, but Dos Equis is actually a decent adjunct lager. In comparison to Budweiser or Coors, I like it quite a bit more, as it doesn't have that extremely skunky corn aroma or flavor. Quite carbonated and lacking flavor (that DAMN metallic taste...), but still a decent choice if you want to get a buzz.

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this beer a couple of times. Once from a bottle without a slice of lime.
This time, I drank it with a lime at La Hacienda with their signature fajitas .

A - Very light in color; pale gold. About average for a lager.

S - Underwhelming. Typical lager scent. The lime overpowers most of it.

T - Very light. The lime helps.

M - A lot of carbonation: very fizzy and goes well with Tex-Mex.

Summary - As a lager, this is overall pretty poor. The smell and taste is non-existent and it is much too fizzy to be enjoyable on its own. With a lime wedge and some nice Tex-Mex, however, Dos Equis is a great option.

3.41/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried the bottled version. I was very impressed. I really came to believe that all Mexican beers were as bad as the American. But it wasn't the case. This beer is above average, very smooth , very drinkable. Dos equis became one of my go to beers when watching a game.

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pale straw colour, 1/4 inch head, no lacing, very clear.

S: slight toasty scent. A bit of adjunct detectible, soft grassy hops.

T: Very light flavoured. Sorta hard to even find a flavour here. Light adjunct and that's about it.

M: well carbonated but a bit fizzy on the tongue.

O: Refreshing and thirst quenching, aroma is good but no flavours.

3.28/5  rDev +21%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes of stuff I've had over the past month or so.

This one was reviewed directly from the bottle with a bit of lime and served with authentic Mexican food.

Appearance: Through the bottle, but you can tell this is a gold lager in the image of an adjunct. Given the style it's appropriate.

Smell: Adjunct characters through and through. I personally added lime after the initial taste. Everything about the beer was better, including the smell.

Taste: Clean, crisp, lightly skunky, surprisingly good for what it is, especially when citrus is added.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, pretty light and with exceptional carbonation. Kinda soda-esque.

Not a great beer by any standard, but in the Mexican adjunct category it's not bad at all.

1.65/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Draft: Poured a golden yellow color lager with a medium white foamy head with average retention and some light lacing. Aroma of overly sweet adjunct is quite gross. Taste is also dominated by loads of gross sweet adjunct notes with a bland aftertaste. Body is light with light oily notes. Overly sweet bland lager.

2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

My take on Dos XX

Appearance: slight hazy yellow color not much going on.

Smell: small sweet grains smell, very little malts.

Taste: very very light hop and malt taste not very much going on.

Mouthfeel: a bit over carbonated tends to bubble in the back of your throat

Overall: eh its a alright beer. better than any other mexican beer i've tried the only other beer that i feel that has the most flavor is Indio.

1.56/5  rDev -42.4%

This was legitimately the worst beer I've ever had.

Appearance: average adjunct. I like the appearance, but it's nothing special.

Smell: Some funk going on, but it doesn't warn me about what's going to happen when I actually taste it.

Taste: Worst taste ever. The aftertaste tastes the way burnt plastic smells. I have no idea how this taste got into the beer, but it's awful.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but not actively offensive.

Overall: Terrible, terrible beer. I'm more than willing to tolerate an adjunct lager, but not this.

1.29/5  rDev -52.4%

"Gringo!" he barked. "Go take your fancy princess beer and shove it up your burro!" His shrieks echoed in the dry heat, the heat was instigating him, rivers of sweat ran down his leathery face like veins. He was a man at the constant point of no return, one of us was going to burn. As he started walking towards me I found that I could not move, the smell of his sweat arrived a few yards before he did and I found myself paralyzed by this animal of a man, now just inches away. A primal beast that didn't care about anything but proving his dominance over others.

I felt the fear swelling up in my stomach, finding myself more and more hopeless with each stilted breath I took in. I decided then and there, to my own surprise that I wasn't going to cower down in fear, I clenched every muscle in my body, looked him in the eye and almost shouted "Listen buddy I am drinking a La Fin Du Monde, its ABV is 10% alright, that's more than most bee..." He cut me off with furious throaty laughter, his head reeled back as he let out howls of insanity. "HAHAHA you fool..." he quickly slapped my glass to the floor, shattering it, all the time his eyes locked on mine, his smile now turning to an sinister grimace.

I stood there and felt myself getting sick, like the air I was breathing was toxic, I knew I had to get out of there, I felt my life was now in serious danger. So I did something wild, I punched him straight in the jaw as hard as I could and ran out of the bar at cheetah pace. My sprint was cut short when two grizzly looking men stopped me at the exit, they caught me and held me by the arms, slowly dragging me back to the bar. As my legs slid across the dirty floor I found myself screaming for help, but my yells fell on deaf ears as all the patrons seemed to have left when this group had walked in - I should have noticed I thought, should have known.

I was a child at that point, so scared and helpless I felt like I was going to throw up. As they lifted me up back onto the bar stool, the apparent leader of the group, the one I had just so recently signed my death wish with only grinned at me, his gnarled yellow teeth clenched like a madmans. "Now chico, we are going to have fun. You are going to drink a mans beer, so pick up your pencil and notepad and write about...this shit." His friends laughed softly, knowingly, like I was about to experience a fiendish torture only left up to the imagination, I imagined it would be some sort of drug or poison, some kind of shady toxin that would have me curled up into a pool of blood before my ultimate demise. He marched to the bar, grabbed a bottle off the shelf and walked back towards me, I was seeing double at this point, half dazed at the thought of my life ending so oddly.

He set the bottle on the table and pulled the cap off with his bare wrists, when he did, he and his cronies flinched back a little, as if they feared even a drop of it would be spilled anywhere near them. Their eyes all locked on to the bottle with a sort of fearful concentration, as if it were a python waiting to pounce. As I shook the dizziness from my head I managed to focus in on the label. "Dos Equis". It must have been a joke I thought, I looked back at them but they didn't laugh, in fact I was absolutely sure that what I saw in their eyes was fear, a real instinctual fear that even these monsters were terrified by. "Now" he said slowly "Pick up the bottle, and drink it. Write down your review for us." I wasn't sure but I thought one of them made the sign of the cross as I poured the bottle into a glass.

Light yellow, head is fizzy and light and dissipates in seconds. As I stare into the yellowness I hear voices in my head, like shrieks of pain from ghosts telling me to turn back, turn back..

The smell makes me nauseous, it is an overly sweet skunky raunchy stench that overpowers all the hot sweat in the room and fills it with the scent of death, the bar now smells like an ancient crypt for skunks.

I lift the beer to my mouth and begin drinking, tears quickly form in my eyes. What is this? Why does this taste the way it does? Where is the goodness in life? The piss flavored grime contaminates my stomach with its cruel flavors. The liquid evil that I drink not only rapes my throat but my innocence, my faith in the world. This carbonated death was meant only to destroy, to defeat ones soul entirely.

The mouthfeel is light, strong carbonation.

I find myself alone. No where is there a trace of my captors or anyone else. I am a null in the void. Completely alone in the universe. There is no light in the darkness.....

2.71/5  rDev 0%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Transparent gold, light bubbles that make it look like nothing is really there. White head maybe 1/3", looks foamy but settles evenly.

Smell: Has a sour scent, feels a little like rye but dissipates very quickly.

Taste: Lightly bitter, not really hoppy more like a rice feel that is really light. It makes you think, am I drinking a "light" beer?

Mouth: Medium carbonation, but has a sour after feel. It's not like a lemon it's more bready than anything.

Overall: Not a bad brew but not definitely a good one either. I am pretty sure during the right climate it is incredibly appreciated. Salud!

2.61/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both OK. The brew smells like sweet malt, corn, and some light citrus. It tastes like sweet malt and corn. Not much to this brew at all. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it's smooth and easy to drink. It's really not bad, but it's not exactly good either. I have no problem drinking this occasionally, but I wouldn't make a point to buy it. Got a bottle from one of my buddies for free so I figured I might as well tick it.

2.02/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured no head. Light yellow color.
Sweet aroma from corn, for a moment I could feel a hint of hops. Medium carbonation.
Taste was refreshing while cold and it had a predominance of the usual suspect: corn.
Slightly dry finish with a corn aftertaste and some metallic.
The lemon piece that I took out for degustation would help to hide its flaws…

2.41/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle: reasonable label, decent green 330mL bottle. Kind of classy.

Appearance: light yellow colour with big and fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: the aroma is a little off putting, smelled of sweet corn and some grain.

Taste: thin, watery and without much flavour, a little sweet corn and grains.

Aftertaste: with the limited flavours, that lager metallic fug is definitely dominant in the aftertaste. Not terribly pleasant.

Mouth feel: light- to- medium bodied, with a medium carbonation.

Overall: thin, watery and without much flavour, a little sweet corn and grains. Nice on a hot day when you don't need flavour so much as you do refreshment. I still say that there are better beers even in this price range (AU$43 a case in 2012).

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.