Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Noche Buena - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Noche BuenaNoche Buena

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Bock |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 12-28-2002

4.77/5  rDev +42%

This may favorite winter beer

Appearance: Good cling, good cream compact foam

Smell: Mature Caramel malt and a little bit toasted bread

Taste: Great balance between caramel malt and bitterness (sweet and bitter)

After taste: grain, caramel and a little bit coffee note.

4.74/5  rDev +41.1%

I too am a sucker for mexican beers so i was at cotco and picked this one up. It comes in a 24 pack along with dos equis lager regular. It was exceptional .. I think i am a fan of cuauhtemocs dark beers they brew because this is the 3rd best beer ive had from here. Dark but smoooth !!!

4.72/5  rDev +40.5%

Look: Very dark copper color, creamy foamy head with a finger thick, good lacing; Smell: Floral hops and pumpkin; Taste: Smoked malt, floral hops, molasses ad pumpkin, the flavor pumpkin predominant by far; Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean, high bitterness, high carbonation, robust body; Drinkability: My favorite beer for Christmas.

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

I was finally able to get a 12pack in Monterrey a
few months ago had heard about it for years + the
price couldn't be beat either 55 pesos (about 5$)
which is cheaper than even Tecate!

Taste is excellent (like all GOOD mexican beers -
of which most are) you don't need lime/salt and I
like it being on the strong side 5.9% which makes
for a change from my everyday fave Indio which is
also distributed by Cerv. Cuauthemoc, this one is
a bit of a bock, a bit of an amber. Good hybrid!!
IMO it's best to enjoy during the holidays though
it'll be 100 tomorrow (well later today) so gonna
enjoy them as cold as my fridge can be (unless 2+
of y'all can convince me to keep my last precious
3 for summer drinking)

4.4/5  rDev +31%

A dark amber colored pour into a mug. With the kind of aroma in the nose that meant good beer, some 18 years ago, when I first sampled this Mexican holiday classic. A delicious presentation from start to finish. Wonderfully drinkable, with expert balance between malts and ample hops support.
First created in 1920, this is an outstanding example of Christmas bock... if only you are fortunate enough to find it.

4.3/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perhaps you have been a little unjust with this beer. IT is really a good beer, seassonal, and I understand it maybe because it is a little tiring. BUt once a year it is nice. The foam is a little, but the hops are really present, the aroma and the flavor say so.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No doubt the best beer produced in Mexico (with Negra Modelo being second with a bit of distance between the two). Wish it was available all year round but then it wouldn't be this special. A must try during the holidays!

4.14/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a winter season beer in Mexico and it is different every year, It would be great if this were all year available but no, stock goes fast, beer drinkers buy boxes to store at home.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

To clarify, I am giving my opinion on the new Bohemia version of Noche Buena.

First of all, let me say I am not sophisticated enough to truly comment on the look and smell. I mostly prefer to drink my beer from the bottle, but for this review I poured it in a glass.

I love Christmas beers. Noche Buena pours out the same color as the beautifully eye pleasing bottle. It looks dark cold, and promising. The gold foil brings with it a sense of festivity and grandness.

As I savor the aroma I detect the distinct odor of well...beer.

Not much of a fan of hoppy, piney and skunky beers, I seem to prefer lagers, high end and flavorful, but Lagers.

Noche Buena Bohemia delivers full flavor and a very satisfying delivery with something I love in my beer, a clean but strong finish.

We all have our regular go to beers, this one is a notch above like Christmas is a notch above a regular day. It adds a special dimension that makes the moment a bit more special. Christmas is not a day for any old beer.

I am NOT saying it's the best beer I ever had, simply that they pack a lot of fullness and flavor in a beautifully wrapped little bottle, and in a perfect balance for me. Merry Christmas!

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

This annual Mexican holiday brew is always a favorite. It is generally available November or December, but even then it is a little hard to find. Lightly spiced bock...though I would move it more towards a Vienna lager style. Worth smuggling a case north of the border ...sorry compadres de cerveza... you can't keep it all! Of course you can legally bring a couple up anyway!

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

Since this beer is a seasonal, I feel it's OK to make a new review, now on the 2005 version.
First things first: Checked in the site of the brewers and, yes, this one is a bock, not a Munich Dunkel.
The story on the Cervecería Cuauhtémoc-Moctezuma site states that the homesick German brewers hired to start-off a brewery at the beggining of the 20th century made small batches of this brew for themselves. Soon they had to brew some more for guests, and then went into full blown yearly production due to success.

Pours a nice dark reddish, with a tan head and small lacing.

Smell is malty and you can even notice some hops.

Taste is fresh and crisp, as the lager it is. You can also sense the maltiness and a little carbonation. Just a little.

Aftertaste is lightly bitter, maybe the hoppiest Mexican beer I can recall. Just wait a minute you hopheads. Nothing to make a fuzz. Just some hop bitter aftertaste to make keep malts on check. Nice, though.

This is another beer that I miss all year long. Too bad Christmas comes only once a year. Anyway, the waiting is worthy.

4.02/5  rDev +19.6%

the only seasonal beer of the macro´s;a dark lager beer full bodied, smell roasted and caramel malts, well ballanced, for this its color, low in fermentation, good off course with holiday mexican food (tamales, stuffed turkey) enjoy direct from the bottle or in a goblet; this beer is the most beautiful creations of its brewery, it creates nostalgia all the year until is obtained it at the end of autumn; 100% recommended.

Appearance - This beer poured a light brown in color and was very clear. It had a nice off-white head that showed good retention.

Smell - This one has a nicely toasted aroma and is very clean. I can also pick up some dark molasses which rightly completes the bouquet.

Taste - That has a big, hard-hitting molasses flavor without a hint of sugar. The malt base is firm and strong giving this beer a lot more heft than I expected.

Mouthfeel - This is light-bodied, flows easy in the mouth, and has enough carbonation to keep things interesting.

Drinkability - I wouldn't say that this is a session beer but it is an easy drinker. It's light and refreshing but has powerful punch that demands respect.

PS: This may seem like a strange beer to pick for my 1,900th review, but I was down in Mexico City having celebrated the bicentennial and was working out the week at a car wash owned by a friend, actually there more to learn from his cooking techniques as they serve food at the car wash and he is an amazing chef. We cooked the night away and I kept my mouth from getting dry by drinking Noche Buenas and I have to say they made for quite the refreshing evening.

This beer is a seasonal brew and only comes out during the Holidays. It is in par with what I think is the best Mexican beer; Bohemia.
A- The head is about 1 finger and lingers enough to get the first couple of drinks.
B- Aroma is good and pleasant.
c- Taste is better than expected. Especially if the only thing you have ever had is Tecate or Corona which is nothing more than the Bud and Coors of Mexico.
I look forward to drinking this when in Mexico during the Holidays. Maybe that is the aura that surrounds this beer. The fact that it is the Christmas beer.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

Into a pint glass, this presents a very clear and deep reddish amber color under a thin but nicely sustained head. The aroma is a mild but noticeable sweet roasted malt nose with a light note of hops. There's a nice sweet roasted malt dominated and robust body here carried along by a pleasant medium carbonation into a caramel noted crisp malt finish. All in all, a no frills but solid bock. Gracias a la Cerveceria por una cerveza con cojones...

3.96/5  rDev +17.9%

Some friends in Mexico City turned me on to this beer on my last visit. Its seasonal and more of a traditional Mexican / Vienna Lager (like Dos Eques & Negro Modelo). What struck me the most is the yeasty aroma. Being a home brewer it was refreshing to get that smell from a commercial bottled beer. I found the beer quite drinkable and a nice break from the other standard beers in one gets in Mexico.

And no need to worry, any bartender in Mexico knows better than to put a damn lime in a beer!

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

For whatever reason, this is the first I've heard tell of this stuff, found it in a holiday variety 24-pack along with both types of Dos Equis. It is light bodied for the style, which is what you'd expect from a Mexican dark. It's very close to rival Negra Modelo; this is a little richer and roastier, the Negra Modelo a little lighter and finishes a bit cleaner. If you like Mexi-darks, you'll like this just fine. It, or an equivalent dark from this brewer, ought to be available year-round, I'm somewhat surprised they don't really have anything to counter the Modelo unless it's Christmas season. While we're at it, this brewer really needs to get the Bohemia in 12-packs. A very drinkable and pleasant Mexi-dark.

3.89/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer pours a clear reddish ruby color with a small amount of foamy light tan head that leaves no lacing.

Smell wise it smells bready just like any other bock. Nothing too special or memorable but still pretty balanced nothing hoppy or funky.

Flavor wise it lines up with the smell... nothing festive but still a worthy bock with a toasty bready flavor.

Its a decent thickness with low carbonation, goes down smooth. Easily a sessioanble beer even though its 6% abv.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a good, solid bock-type lager, quite enjoyable with pizza.

Brown copper, it has a big pale tan head slowly shrinking.

Aroma caramelised barley, caramelised bread crust, yeast, pine crust, woody herb, hint sulphur.

Taste is nice, sweet toffee, caremlised bread, hint of wine up front, drier toasty finish, light leafy-woody finish. It has a bit of a basic, mass-produced quality but it is very good, full-bodied in character and very enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip. Pours a dark amber, with a nice one inch white head, that settles slower than expected. Some solid lacing. Smell is grass, lemon, sweet malts, and maybe a hint of pine. Taste is all of that, with a little breadyness and good balance. Body is thin for me, but on the heavy side for a Mexican beer. Nice amount of carbonation and very easy drinking. This is a nice tasting beer.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a crystal clear copper red color. Very clear and highly carbonated, but a thin white head goes away immediately.
Smells like a very nice bock. A very nice caramel malt smell dominates the nose.
Taste is an above average bock. Like the smell, the taste is dominated by caramel malts with a slight hop taste.
Mouthfeel is a good thickness with a smooth feel.
Drinkability is great for a bock. I am not normally a fan of bocks as they seem boring to me. However, judging this on style it is much better than most other bocks I've had.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

I sampled the 2006 edition from a bottle. I have some question to the style, I'm wondering if this is more of a Vienna Lager than a bock. It reminded me of Dos Equis Amber or Negra Modelo. Poured into a pint glass, seemed a light brown. Carmel malts seemed to be the whole flavor, I didn't notice any hop flavors. Medium bodied. Overall I liked this one, but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I discovered this one in the ice bucket at a Super Bowl party that contained a varied assortment of "CostCo exotics". I wasn't expecting much from this lesser-known brother of the Dos Equis family, but this was a welcome surprise.

First, I must give high scores for appearance since the red-tinged medium-amber color of this beer looked great even from a blue plastic party cup. A thick, billowy light-sand-colored head erupted during the pour, eventually settling into a thin, foamy cap. The aroma was surprisingly sweet and almost reminded me of caramel corn, but it wasn't an artificial corn sweetness that comes across in many mass-produced lagers. The flavor was likewise skewed toward the sweet malt end of the spectrum, with a nice dry, bready, caramel character that was up-front but not potent. Being a bit under-carbonated, the texture was smooth and easy.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth, fairly dry sweetness of this beer, making me quite glad that my initial expectations (throw-away off-style from Mexican lager factory) didn't get in the way of my willingness to try something new.

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Very well presented bottle, great seasonal appeal, although it's a shame that the cap underneath the foil is blank. Looks like carbonated iced tea in the glass, very pretty. Appealing appearance and aroma. Aroma is mostly malt, a hint of hops tucked away in the back. A touch of sweetness, resolving to a mild hops finish. Maybe a little too much carbonation... I feel like some flavors might be being hidden by the bubbles. Not a whole lot of depth in the flavor department, but nothing to complain about either. Crisp finish, very drinkable. Probably the best Mexican macro out there.

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A solid pour into my Lost Abbey Teku produces a two-finger thick, pale amber tinged, tan colored head that even leaves some lacing on the sides of my glass. The beer is a deep amber, sort of root-beer looking color that shows an absolutely brilliantly clear, garnet color when held up to the light. The aroma smells spicy from a mx of hops and malt and there is an almost raisin like note towards the end; this last is contributed by the malt and really isn't fruit-like. The spiciness suggest cinnamon to me for some reason and now that I noticed that I am noticing that the hops definitely are contributing a berry-like character to the nose; that even smells a bit like concord grape juice.

Fairly dry up front, this picks up a faint sweetness as it rolls across the tongue, which accentuates a light, concord grape like flavor. Both the carbonation and a hop bitterness contribute a nice bite to this beer from beginning to end; this is almost the dominant note in this beer. The beer is quite clean, like one would expect from a lager, and finishes fairly non-descriptly with a faintly metalic, grassy combination of malt and hop. Clean malt contributes a touch of lightly accented umami malt character, a wisp of caramelized whole grain; this does manage to have a sort of diluted richness of malt character that a good bock would have and it works quite well here. Fairly light bodied, but still has a touch of viscousness that manages to linger a bit on the palate; the body is enough that this would stand up well to food. At times this has a sort of berry flavor to it, which nicely compliments the softly sweet malt character.

Not bad, and certainly better than Negra Modelo, I wish this beer was as ubiquitous as that when I went out to Mexican restaurants. While nothing to get overly excited about, this is a nicely enjoyable brew that I would be happy to be drinking as I am cooking food up in the kitchen, which is exactly what I happen to be doing at the moment.

Noche Buena from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.