Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001

Ratings: 1,774 | Reviews: 576
Reviews by Huffs:

APPEARANCE: Chill haze obscures an otherwise crystal clear, yellow beer. The head foamed up to about a finger before settling into a quarter-inch cap that slowly faded away as the beer sat during the typing of this paragraph. By now, it’s just a wispy, thin cap, but it still covers almost 100% of the surface area. Some lacing developed when the head fell, but not much else stuck.

SMELL: Once the head fades away there isn’t much to this, but while it was still intact a big corn smell overpowered anything else.

TASTE: Again, not much going on in the flavor here. A very sweet, corn-syrup-like taste is pretty much it. There is actually a tiny, tiny hint of hop flavor lurking in here somewhere, but it is tough to detect unless you’re specifically looking for it.

MOUTHFEEL: The body is light (although not as thin as I thought it would be) and the beer is sweet with a slightly drying finish.

OVERALL: This is not the most terrible beer in the world. It’s certainly not something I’ll pay for, but in a pinch, with no craft options, this could be an acceptable choice.

My first beer when I was 15 in Mexico I will give it a 5 because in Mexico its a whole different beer than what they sell in the states

2.43/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance – Light, clear body with weak carbonation and no head.

Smell – A singular whiff of grain is all to be had on the nose of this one.

Taste – I was surprised to find a mild hop kick in there. Otherwise, typical of the style. It tries to get sweet at the end but to little avail.

Mouthfeel – Several other BAs were commenting on the great carbonation here, but nary a fizz came out of my can. I thought this was very bland in the mouth.

Drinkability – The tinge of hops saves this one from a solid “2.”

Comments – I’m all over the board on this one. I’ll rewrite the review if any of the other cans show improvement.

Tecate... a Mexican favorite for me and my brother. Also know by locals in Cabo as the "milwaukee's best" of Mexico.

A- Typical light yellow "urine" colored fluid with a quickly falling head that leaves very little lacing.

S- Smell is of corn and light malts. Slight yeast scent as well.

T-M- Taste is of grainy corn up front with a backbone of metallic like flavors that require lime to make tolerable. Mouthfeel is mostly easy with a slight thickness on the back of the tongue... mostly from corn flavors.

D- Drink one, drink two... what the hell. Its cheap, its a Mexican beer. Think outside of the U.S. think Tacate.

3.15/5  rDev +25%

Pouring into a pint glass from a bottle produced light foaming that dissipates very quickly to nothing. There is absolutely no lacing with this brew. The color is a pale gold hue that is crystal clear. Smell was weak with nothing notable about it. The taste was different from a lot of the American macros in that it has a slight sweetness to it, or at least no bittering, but doesn't really seem out of balance. The finish is mostly clean with nothing really left behind. Slightly watery and goes down easy, but not entirely satisfying. Not bad either.

1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

The mexican equivalent of BMC. The pour is piss yellow with no lace and a distinctly acidic scent that is not inviting at all. Flavor is all corn and grain mixed in with too much carbonation. I guess the figure the more carbonation the more it will mask the bad flavor...well in that case they need to add some more because the flavor is pretty much non existent and when you do taste something, it tastes like dry skunk. Not recommended.

1.75/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Blend american adjunct lager,highly carbonate with not a really great mouthfeel. Mild bitter/sour taste. Cooked vegetable smell. I will try and not repeat.

2.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle. No recognizable freshness date.

Appearance: Bright, pale golden in colour. Very active carbonation. Thin white lace.

Smell: Very metallic in the aroma with soft herbal and grain notes.

Taste: Very smooth, medium bodied brew. Malt sweetness is thin, and can be likened to diluted sugar water. Touch of fructose-like sweetness. Light citric hop flavours gently prick the palate with tea-like notes that follow and fade quickly. Finishes a bit dry with husk tannins and a pasty mouthfeel.

Notes: Not one of the best lagers to come out of Mexico. It's palatable, but bland. A run of the mill beer.

1.48/5  rDev -41.3%

It looks watery. Except for maybe a more impressive head (still struggling to retain itself), it looks like a Bud Light. In the time it took to write that sentence, the head coverage is gone--liquid lager looming through... It's highly carbonated, as evidenced by millions of CO2 bubbles speeding to the top. I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat.

If I smell anything, it's the bubbles. Since CO2 is odorless, I guess that means I otherwise "feel" the bubbles--they touch my nose if I try to smell it. It's not like those of you putting your noses in beer, but the carbonated beverage jumps out of the cup and hits me. It's a fizzy mess.

Taste is not good. I feel like I've done something wrong by pouring this one into a glass. Perhaps a plastic Solo Cup would be more fitting.

Mouthfeel is the worst part. The bubbles I had felt with my nose I feel with my mouth. It's purty horrible. This is the worst part of a pretty bad beer.

I considered giving this one some credit for its light, regular lager brand appeal, but I wouldn't really want to play beer pong with it. Even in its hometown in Mexico, don't people there prefer Bud Light? Does Tecate advertise and market itself well like the "King of Beers?" I'm just trying to figure out how/why a beverage like this makes such a long trip.

3.2/5  rDev +27%

Served at Chevy’s Tex-Mex in a frozen mug with a wedge of lime and a Mexican flag, both were discarded to get to the beer. Bright and clear pale yellow colour, minimal white lace. Very clean aroma, virtually nothing in the aroma other than a faint grain and corn girt smell. Intense crispness in a light body, clean palate with a thin grain flavour throughout. Some corn grit and light hop bitterness rounded out this brew and its dry finish. This is the “Miller” of Mexican beers, a better pick a than Corona.

2.5/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Grabbed a bunch of big bottles at the store and this was among them. Pours pretty plain, very little head, no lacing. Taste is grainy, hard to find any hops. The taste is only lightly malty. It is crisp tasting and refreshing. This is much better than other Mexican beers. Prefer this to Crapona anyday.

2.52/5  rDev 0%

The familiar red and gold 12 ounce can emits this super light and clear macro brew. Minor and non retentive large bubble white head, Lacing? c'mon....adjunct nose, easy swilling, watery, light in both the malt and hop area. Lawn mower brew at best...I picked up a sixer on "cinco de mayo" for old times sake

2.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Good beer with some Mexican food

2.67/5  rDev +6%

After spending a week at a Mexican resort drinking nothing but Dos Equis (the only brew they had), I figured I'd try another Mexican brew to provide a comparison.

Except they're from the same brewery...oh well...

Pours a light golden, with a thin, fizzy head that dissolves almost immediately. No lacing, no ring.

The nose is slightly better than most macros, and certainly better than Dos Equis. A bit of malt character with floral hops near the back.

The taste is but a muted version of the nose. A bit more character than some, but still incredibly boring. Light malts, a bit of hops, slightly bitter finish. Bland, but drinkable. Certainly tastes better poured out than in the can. Although its watery, the carbonation isn't ridiculously spritzy, which is a plus for me. Pound-backable.

Just your run of the mill macro lager. I can barely tell the difference between Tecate and other brews of the style, including Dos Equis. Not worth it. If you're going to drink it, do it quickly and make sure it's cold.

4.08/5  rDev +61.9%

"In a town called El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl."

That delectable cover of Marty Robbins' classic was playing by the Grateful Dead on my friend's stereo the first time I drank this delicious light lager back in the blisteringly hot summer of 2002 and as much as I love that song, if I had to choose between one or the other I would choose Tecate beer.

I tried to not rate this beer on appearance because I drink it straight out of the can with a lime wedge shoved straight down in it, but BA is making me give it an appearance score so I just gave it a 5. Although when I play that foul, foul game known as beer pong, a Tecate beer looks like a pretty little lady down at the bottom of my solo cup.

The smell is usually reminiscent of a fart a little bit. That may just be because the beer is skunked though I don't know.

For me the taste is the perfect little Mexican vacation from the world of big stouts and IPAs. It is crisp, light, and slightly bitter.n Don't listen to the haters--enjoy with a lime!

The mouthfeel is thin and just what I need on a hot summer day. Or miserable winter day. Or just whenever I'm craving a Tecate.

2.94/5  rDev +16.7%

Served in tap in a pint glass at Disney's Epcot.

Appearance: Golden amber with a thin white head. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Light hops and corn.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of hops, sweet corn and grassy notes.

Overall: Not bad for a Mexican beer. Not quite Dos Equies but better than Corona

3.75/5  rDev +48.8%

So over all I think Tecate Beer is very good and pretty smooth. I really liked the flavor, and I thought the beer was strong enough to give me a nice buzz. This is one of the best beers on the market. If you have not tried it yet, go get a pack! They are worth the money. Long live Tecate Beer!

2.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Out of the can:

Smells like ass, but the taste is okay. In the end, this is just another cheap Mexican beer. At least this one is actually cheap.

Out of the tap:

For some reason, this is far, far different and better. Pours clear gold with a decent white head. Moderate lacing. Sweet cornmeal, sugar, and the metal is replaced by grass. Smooth, sweet taste with actual grassy hops. Dry finish.

2.82/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Back in the late 70'S when I lived in Southern California, Tecate was a favorite beer. It was malty with a slightly bitter kick. My mexican-american girlfriend (who became my wife) taught me to drink it from the can and squeezing a lime onto the rim. On many a visit to Mexico we would enjoy Tecate with limes. After moving back to the East coast I would always keep cans of Tecate around to enjoy with Mexican food. Recently it seems to have changed to a hoppier formulation that has less malt, probably due to the use of the more cost effective hop extract most commercial North American brewers have adopted as a substitute to using real hops. In any case, we have stopped drinking Tecate and switched to other smoother adjunct lagers.

2.78/5  rDev +10.3%

Clear golden color with moderate head after hard pour. High carbonation and very faint aroma---hops, with malt in the background (if you really tried to smell it). The taste was more of the same and this is one that you have to add lemon to. I still like the Dos Equis Amber the best.

2.07/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz can at fridge temp poured into a pint glass.

Clear straw yellow color, actually holds a decent thin layer of white head with some decent lacing.

Sweet corny grains, almost skunky? Sour?

Creamy Corny grain, hose water, hint of mineral water.

Slightly prickly high carbonation, watery thin mouthfeel.

I just had 3 Mexican adjunct lagers and they all tasted almost exactly alike, only saddle differences. These were even worse than the American versions. I would definatly avoid both at all costs! Don't waste your money even if you are in Mexico.

2.15/5  rDev -14.7%

From the big ass 32oz bottle. Light pale straw color eviscerates any head left. No aroma outside of macroesque, but at least its not bad as others.

The usual mix of corn and other adjunct feel. Carbonation replaces hops. Extra water added instead of malt. I guess this beer has its place. . . where its 110 degrees. Better with salt and lime than Corona I guess. A degree of sweetness dominates, because there's nothing else to compete with.

Way too pricey for what it brings to the table.

1.58/5  rDev -37.3%

Appears a bright pale golden clear pretty much a light apple juice color, forms a white quickly fleeting head dwindles to thin scant lacing. Aroma cooked veggies mainly corn in this case with a rough husk grainy off tone with not much of a hop aroma. Flavor is pretty rough grainy husk with malted sweet corn flood the palate. Not too palatable even with lime thrown in it won't hide the roughness that this beer has to offer. Mouthfeel is thin watery highly carbonated rough on the gag reflex, really does induce it a bit. Drinkability, I will always pass on this but I have fond memories drinking it while visiting Ensenada.

1.16/5  rDev -54%

I had my inlaws over last September, and after they left, I found this can in my refirgerator. It sat there until now, when I fianlly decided to get rid of it. Instead of just pouring it down the drain, I thought to review it. So, here it is. This beer pours like urine. It looks like piss in a toilet. The head looks like white soap bubbles in the sink. The head disappers very fast leaving absolutely no laces. It smells very bad. Maybe like rotting corn? I cant really place it. It tasted skunky. Other than that, it didnt really have any distiguishable flavors. It was too carbonated, I think. It was a harsh beer that didnt sit well on the palate. Drinking more than one of there beers would probably make you sick. I just poured mine out. Probably the smartest thin I did since I opened the can. Do not drink this beer.

2.78/5  rDev +10.3%

A-Yellow w/heavy carbonation and little head w/short duration.

S-Corn and lake fish on an August afternoon.

T-Light malt and faint hops in the finish. Some metallic flavors as well.

M-Highly carbonated and balance is proper for style.

D-Hate to say it, but better w/lime and salt. This one is the low one on the totem today, and we've had some good times w/this one in the past, but it's not too tasty w/out some help.

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.