1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001)
Reviews by Ozzylizard:
3.1/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Can at 45 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of malt and vinegar
Head average (5 cm), white, creamy with rocks, mostly diminishing to 3 mm layer
Lacing fair; small, irregular islands of tiny bubbles
Body light yellow, clear
Flavor is slightly sour with light malts; no alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl; ends quickly with no aftertaste
Palate is light, watery, lively carbonation

Many years ago, before I discovered the joys of craft beers, I used to drink Tecate (and Busch, but that’s another story) and really enjoyed it. When I drank this can, I was unpleasantly surprised by the lack of flavor and body – I remember this as a darker, chewier beer. Either the beer or my taste have radically changed, maybe both.

APPEARANCE: Chill haze obscures an otherwise crystal clear, yellow beer. The head foamed up to about a finger before settling into a quarter-inch cap that slowly faded away as the beer sat during the typing of this paragraph. By now, it’s just a wispy, thin cap, but it still covers almost 100% of the surface area. Some lacing developed when the head fell, but not much else stuck.

SMELL: Once the head fades away there isn’t much to this, but while it was still intact a big corn smell overpowered anything else.

TASTE: Again, not much going on in the flavor here. A very sweet, corn-syrup-like taste is pretty much it. There is actually a tiny, tiny hint of hop flavor lurking in here somewhere, but it is tough to detect unless you’re specifically looking for it.

MOUTHFEEL: The body is light (although not as thin as I thought it would be) and the beer is sweet with a slightly drying finish.

OVERALL: This is not the most terrible beer in the world. It’s certainly not something I’ll pay for, but in a pinch, with no craft options, this could be an acceptable choice.

My first beer when I was 15 in Mexico I will give it a 5 because in Mexico its a whole different beer than what they sell in the states

2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance – Light, clear body with weak carbonation and no head.

Smell – A singular whiff of grain is all to be had on the nose of this one.

Taste – I was surprised to find a mild hop kick in there. Otherwise, typical of the style. It tries to get sweet at the end but to little avail.

Mouthfeel – Several other BAs were commenting on the great carbonation here, but nary a fizz came out of my can. I thought this was very bland in the mouth.

Drinkability – The tinge of hops saves this one from a solid “2.”

Comments – I’m all over the board on this one. I’ll rewrite the review if any of the other cans show improvement.

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

Tecate... a Mexican favorite for me and my brother. Also know by locals in Cabo as the "milwaukee's best" of Mexico.

A- Typical light yellow "urine" colored fluid with a quickly falling head that leaves very little lacing.

S- Smell is of corn and light malts. Slight yeast scent as well.

T-M- Taste is of grainy corn up front with a backbone of metallic like flavors that require lime to make tolerable. Mouthfeel is mostly easy with a slight thickness on the back of the tongue... mostly from corn flavors.

D- Drink one, drink two... what the hell. Its cheap, its a Mexican beer. Think outside of the U.S. think Tacate.

3.18/5  rDev +26.2%

Pouring into a pint glass from a bottle produced light foaming that dissipates very quickly to nothing. There is absolutely no lacing with this brew. The color is a pale gold hue that is crystal clear. Smell was weak with nothing notable about it. The taste was different from a lot of the American macros in that it has a slight sweetness to it, or at least no bittering, but doesn't really seem out of balance. The finish is mostly clean with nothing really left behind. Slightly watery and goes down easy, but not entirely satisfying. Not bad either.

1.23/5  rDev -51.2%

The mexican equivalent of BMC. The pour is piss yellow with no lace and a distinctly acidic scent that is not inviting at all. Flavor is all corn and grain mixed in with too much carbonation. I guess the figure the more carbonation the more it will mask the bad flavor...well in that case they need to add some more because the flavor is pretty much non existent and when you do taste something, it tastes like dry skunk. Not recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +68.7%

2.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle. No recognizable freshness date.

Appearance: Bright, pale golden in colour. Very active carbonation. Thin white lace.

Smell: Very metallic in the aroma with soft herbal and grain notes.

Taste: Very smooth, medium bodied brew. Malt sweetness is thin, and can be likened to diluted sugar water. Touch of fructose-like sweetness. Light citric hop flavours gently prick the palate with tea-like notes that follow and fade quickly. Finishes a bit dry with husk tannins and a pasty mouthfeel.

Notes: Not one of the best lagers to come out of Mexico. It's palatable, but bland. A run of the mill beer.

1.5/5  rDev -40.5%

1.48/5  rDev -41.3%

It looks watery. Except for maybe a more impressive head (still struggling to retain itself), it looks like a Bud Light. In the time it took to write that sentence, the head coverage is gone--liquid lager looming through... It's highly carbonated, as evidenced by millions of CO2 bubbles speeding to the top. I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat.

If I smell anything, it's the bubbles. Since CO2 is odorless, I guess that means I otherwise "feel" the bubbles--they touch my nose if I try to smell it. It's not like those of you putting your noses in beer, but the carbonated beverage jumps out of the cup and hits me. It's a fizzy mess.

Taste is not good. I feel like I've done something wrong by pouring this one into a glass. Perhaps a plastic Solo Cup would be more fitting.

Mouthfeel is the worst part. The bubbles I had felt with my nose I feel with my mouth. It's purty horrible. This is the worst part of a pretty bad beer.

I considered giving this one some credit for its light, regular lager brand appeal, but I wouldn't really want to play beer pong with it. Even in its hometown in Mexico, don't people there prefer Bud Light? Does Tecate advertise and market itself well like the "King of Beers?" I'm just trying to figure out how/why a beverage like this makes such a long trip.

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.52/5  rDev +39.7%

3.2/5  rDev +27%

Served at Chevy’s Tex-Mex in a frozen mug with a wedge of lime and a Mexican flag, both were discarded to get to the beer. Bright and clear pale yellow colour, minimal white lace. Very clean aroma, virtually nothing in the aroma other than a faint grain and corn girt smell. Intense crispness in a light body, clean palate with a thin grain flavour throughout. Some corn grit and light hop bitterness rounded out this brew and its dry finish. This is the “Miller” of Mexican beers, a better pick a than Corona.

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.