Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tecate Alström Bros
Reviews: 555 | Hads: 1,854

Haha I'm a bit of a beer snob but tecate....tecate and I go way back. This beer is the best cheap beer in the market. Tied up with PBR. Best party beer when you don't wanna break out the good stuff ;) rub a little lime, salt, and cayenne on the rim of the can and have a good time. Best when chasing tequilas.

4.7/5  rDev +80.8%

i go down to mexico every december and this is the most popular beer in the town, trevino. which is located right outside of monterrey where it's brewed so it's always fresh. This beer is amazing, it is way better when bought in mexico than it is in america. even the ones in texas don't taste the same. never buy in a bottle you will be disappointed. canned is the way to go. at five dollars a 6pack you cant beat it. by far my favorite beer and mexico's finest. i wanna brush my teeth with it

4.58/5  rDev +76.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I only drink beers with a dash of bloody mary mix, in this case it was delicious! I haven't enjoyed it at home yet, I tend to go for the cheaper beers to mix at home. Pints & Quarts in Lacey, Wa is where the bartender recommended tecate for red beer.

4.5/5  rDev +73.1%

Tecate. The Black Bird. Mexican!
I like this beer a lot. It's great to drink straight outta the can/bottle or adding some lime and/or salt to the rim. I love it with tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, chalupas, rice, nachos, beans, re-fried beans, tortillas and salsa, and so much more. It is a perfect beach beer. Cold from the cracked styrofoam cooler as you lounge with some hot babes and the suns in your eyes. Drink some Tecate and then go boogie boarding. You'll love it.

4.4/5  rDev +69.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised at the number of low ratings for this beer. IMHO, this is probably the best beer of any large scale brewery. Certainly the best of the Mexican beers, which are generally underrated as a whole (though I don't care for Corona; nor do the Mexicans). I spend about half my time in Mexico, so I will assert that I've thoroughly researched the latter opinion. :-) Good all around beer; excellent price/perforance value.

4.23/5  rDev +62.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think Tecate gets a bit of a bad rap by many American beer tasters who have recently discovered dark beers. I weighTecate against some of the best lagers and pilsners around the world, and Tecate is among the very best. It has a nice look with a wonderful mild flavor with a touch of sweetness.

Goes down with the sounds of Brazilian jazz artist Airto Moreira and Flora Purim.

4.2/5  rDev +61.5%

Gotta love tecate logo!

A - Pale yellow color

S - Stock beer, no off smells, surprisingly.

T - Smooth, mild hop bitterness, nice hop aftertaste.

M - Full, carbonated.

D - these go down real nice when cold, perfect pairing with wings and pizza!

Overall for the price, which is really cheap, this is one of the best mexican beers I've had, next to Negro Modello, just a cheap, straight forward beer. Highly recommended!

4.08/5  rDev +56.9%

"In a town called El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl."

That delectable cover of Marty Robbins' classic was playing by the Grateful Dead on my friend's stereo the first time I drank this delicious light lager back in the blisteringly hot summer of 2002 and as much as I love that song, if I had to choose between one or the other I would choose Tecate beer.

I tried to not rate this beer on appearance because I drink it straight out of the can with a lime wedge shoved straight down in it, but BA is making me give it an appearance score so I just gave it a 5. Although when I play that foul, foul game known as beer pong, a Tecate beer looks like a pretty little lady down at the bottom of my solo cup.

The smell is usually reminiscent of a fart a little bit. That may just be because the beer is skunked though I don't know.

For me the taste is the perfect little Mexican vacation from the world of big stouts and IPAs. It is crisp, light, and slightly bitter.n Don't listen to the haters--enjoy with a lime!

The mouthfeel is thin and just what I need on a hot summer day. Or miserable winter day. Or just whenever I'm craving a Tecate.

4.05/5  rDev +55.8%

¿Que onda güey?

Tecate, my favorite Mexican beer. Don't buy it in a bottle. Don't pour it. Drink it from a can.

If you want to know about the flavor and the color and the head, read the other reviews.

If you want a good beer with tacos, look no further. Tecate is made for easy drinking; to cool off that burn from the jalepeños. Drink it cold and drink it fast.

4.05/5  rDev +55.8%

Old picture you have. BUt anyway, a lot of people say it is nasty, but once again, the more close you are from the brewery the better it taste. In this case, t is brewed in Tecate Baja California, and for a sunny day, it worths. A little bitter the back taste for a lager, but tastes good after all, in some presentations.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am no connoisseur but I really like this beer. I like a thicker mouth feel and this seems to be just right. I also don't like very bitter beer and this has only a hint of bitterness, enough to let me know it is beer but that's just about it. I find a depth to the flavor I don't know how to describe Carbonation is on the light side and I would have liked a little more. Like others mentioned, head is light, but that does not matter when you like to drink out of the bottle.

This is a stereotypical American-style lager, of which I'm partial, with a thick, white head, and a very clear, golden color. Carbonation is high. The aroma had a slightly off grain smell that I was unable to place. But, as I drank it it was not as prominent in the glass. The taste is okay, with a decent barley-grain-hop balance. Mouth-feel is light and watery and it finishes crisp and refreshing. Certainly, this is an ordinary type beer, but I'd say it's as good as other run-of-the-mill lagers. I think you should try it. I drank this sample poured from a 24 oz. can.

Had a couple of these ice-cold, and I do mean ice-cold, out of the cooler after a recent backpacking trip, and they were delicious. I am admittedly biased towards refreshing beers over heavier beers, though, and love me some cervezas Mexicanas as well, perhaps because I am a Southern California guy. At any rate, this is a nice beer for many occasions: the ballpark, after a hike, or to wash down a meal. Disfrutalo!

I first noticed Tecate in the movie Hellboy 2, of all places. Out of curiosity, I picked some up and tried it. Fairly tasty, but I thought it'd be stronger.

Well, like everyone else says, there really isn't much to this stuff. However, unlike everyone else, I really like this stuff. It's not super expensive, it's Mexican, and it's NOT Corona. It's the perfect cheap Mexi-brew. I order this every time my wife and I go out to a Mexican restaurant and really compliments the food well. It looks and smells just about like every other beer of this style, and can be enjoied with or without the lime. I always crush the hell outta the lime and then just toss the whole thing in. I think it adds something but that's just me. There is also quite a bit of a corn taste/smell, and a very, very faint sweet tone on the finish.
In the way of Mexi-brews, I am a staunch fan of Modelo Especial, too, but there is a HUGE difference between Modelo from the bottle and Modelo from the can, in that Modelo from the can tastes like the can. In Tecate, however, it really doesn't matter, which is why, I suppose, I always get one served to me in the can when I order it out. Cans cost less, and the folks eatin' and drinkin there will never know the difference.
Anyhow, everyone who gave this stuff a sorry rating, I suppose this was just not for them because personally, I drink a ton of this stuff by itself and with Spanish food and I think it's great.

3.9/5  rDev +50%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Really light hop bitterness. Bread and malts are present. Straw color appearance. Regular lager style. Better than Modelo and Corona. Its up there with Bohemia and Carta Blanca. Really good. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +49.2%

Reviewed to style, not personal preference!!

Average medium yellow color, but what puts it at good is that there is so much carbonation that it keeps a small but decent head after twenty minutes in the glass and even leaves some lacing.

I'm going to assume there are some adjunct here, but it smells like 2-row base malt more than anything, whereas most in this style smell like sweet corn or just...sweet. Slightly skunked, but I'm guessing this would be a 4 out of a can.

Again, it's very light, but it tastes more like barley than most all in this category. I'm really wondering if they use far less adjuncts than most, or none at all?

It's a good beer for the style, in all honesty. Certainly not my favorite style, but within it I would pick this one over most others. A great Lawnmower beer for BA's, as it actually tastes and smells like barley. I'll probably pick it up again if I need a light beer in a can for the beach or whatever.

3.88/5  rDev +49.2%

Appearance - Pours the typical yellow color but with a swirl I get a small creamy head and the appearance of liquid that is thicker than water, which makes this above average for the style listed.

Smell - Sweet malt and a slightly fruity aroma. Maybe a little corn.

Taste - Well rounded and crisp with a sweet malty flavors.

Mouthfeel - Feels like real beer! Definately not watery it has the feel of any respectable all malt lager.

Overall this is a very drinkable lager with a light but well balanced flavor. Easy to drink and a step above other American style lagers for sure, I would pick this abover most others of the style.

I give this beer a good rating because it is well above average as an American Style lager. If others give this a below average rating, I wonder what would make a beer in this style a perfect 5.0?

3.85/5  rDev +48.1%

This is my at home beer, living in southern california it gets pretty hot here, this is great for that.

I grew up in europe(almost 30 years) and was very much used to all the fine pilsners over there.

Coming to the US, I started the regular budweiser coors etc

This is a much better brew. Just a great every day beer.

Drink it in a can(not bottle), if you like put a lime in it and enjoy.

It goes down smooth and no hangovers.

Give it a try on a warm day.

3.83/5  rDev +47.3%

Pours a pale yellow color with a one-finger head and ample carbonation into my glass.

Aroma is sweet and full of malt in the nose. Seems like a typical example of the style, which can be a good or bad thing.

Taste is smooth and grainy with only a hint of sweet malt. Inoffensive and seemingly easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is smooth and easy. No inoffensive flavors to be found.

Not a bad beer. Simple and quite drinkable for the style. It's certainly one of the nicer adjunct lagers I've had.

3.82/5  rDev +46.9%

I like this one. Got kind of hooked on it when I lived in El Paso for nearly 5 years. Throw a lime in it and it tastes even better. Very moderately priced as well, I thought this was a good beer at the price point.

3.8/5  rDev +46.2%

Tecate brewed by Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V with an ABV of 4.5% This brew pours out amber color with a thick, white head. Tecate is a filtered brew; you can see right though it. This looks an American style lager. This brew smells like corn and grains. Nothing bad, but not good. I would say the smell is decent to this brew. The taste to this brew is real nice. It goes nice and smooth. This reminds minds me of an American style lager. There is nothing overpowering in this brew has a nice balance and taste. Mouthfeel is nice and clean and refreshing. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. This better than what I was expecting. They did a real nice job with this brew. I will buy this brew again.

3.78/5  rDev +45.4%

Okay, there are some people who appear to rate macro beers with low scores simply because they are macro beers. Some people will give a good score to a particular macro, and they justify the score by recalling fond memories. I do my best to judge each beer for what it is. I poured this beer fully expecting an awful swill, but actually had a decent experience. To date, this is by far the best macro lager I've ever had and it was a decent beer in general.

Bottle obtained from the discount rack of a local liquor store. Pours a finger and a half nearly white (linght tint of yellow) head over a crystal clear very light rust liquid. Add a very pale rust to the very pale straw of color of a macro and you get this. Bubbles form randomly on the bottom of the glass and float to the surface. Smells potently hopped with something like Saaz that would impart a tin smell. To many people this comes across as smelling 'skunked'. Tastes mildly hoppy with noticable malt sweet. Hops have some hallertauer roundness and a touch of co-ho roughness. Malt is pretty clean, but has some honey. Upopn swallowing there is an acrid taste from carbonation release. This sting on the tongue settles fairly rapidly and leaving some floral hop and some flat malt sweet as an aftertaste. Body is thin, but with some quality I can't put my finger on that makes it come across, to casual taste, as Md-light. Carbonation is high. Amazingly, there is still a tiny layer of head still on top of the last little bit in my glass and the inside of my glass shows incredible lacing. Judged to style.

3.77/5  rDev +45%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

okay. first and foremost i want this to be known that this is geared toward a MEXICAN beer which is supposed to be diiferent than the US-produced garbage....
appearance is . . . . typically bland. yellow. straw, no foam to speak of.
smell is.... typical- not especially great but noticeably better than the US version, i think....
taste is... heartier and a tad more deserving of a higher rating than its US-bred cousin. yes, there apparently IS a difference...
mouthfeel.... eh, still light. corn; commercial; medium....
overall . . . . heavier than the US version and much more enjoyed. an hispanic friend introduced this to me and it shows how different a beer can be from the 'export' version'. i can drink probably several of these as opposed to the US version which is thin, corn-y, pathetically disgusting. the natural, mexican version is a much heartier version of the beer and much more enjoyed. this is a much more enjoyable version than the typical US-purchased version.... salud!

3.76/5  rDev +44.6%

I've had so much Tecate over the years, by itself and in micheladas, I can't believe I haven't reviewed it on this site .. So better late than never, for the style and price it can't be beat .. Definately have it in a can (or cold glass) but not a glass bottle. MUCH better than over-hyped Dos Equis Lager and you probably won't touch Corona or Sol again.

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.