Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tecate Alström Bros
Reviews: 545 | Hads: 1,791

Container Volume: 946ml (1 quart)

Container type: brown bottle

Acquired: Sullivan's (Harvard)

Fresh: ? (for how bad the beer was I hope it was infected)

Head: none

Lace: none

Color:brown

Aroma: skunk

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: will never adjust

Comments: Very sharp at the start. Burnt popcorn finish. Very carbonated. By far the weakest of the brews I’ve tried from my southern neighbors. Probably worst beer I've ever had.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n (543 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -61.1%

Who wants heartburn? Pours a off lemony yellow color with great clarity. A sickly big bubbles that seemed to have a life of its own. Big bubbles that seems to grow and then shrink and then grow again. Does dissipate to nothing eventually. No lacing at all.

The nose is a bit off. A bit the size of Texas. Some grainy presences with no depth. Noticeable off oxidation aromas and butyric smells. Also sewage notes more along the lines of veggie. Touches of DMS and dicatyl. No hops (which is ok for style). A who's who of what off aromas can you pick up.

The taste is a bit better than the nose but not by much. No real malt flavor but hints of husky notes are there. The DMS comes out more as does the butyric notes. The veggie flavors are also noticeable but not as bad as the nose.

Light body with no depth. Had this at Old C's and had heartburn the whole next day. I would not recommend this beer even to my enemy! (919 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -59.2%

A- Pale yellow, foamyish head, with actually decent lacing. Big streams of bubbles floating upwards.

S- GAG! Wtf? This is the worst smelling beer ever. Smells like bile. Awful sour grain mash and a sticky bitter vileness. Just awful.

T- Flat sourness, that's all I taste. No depth and no stab at anything that someone would want to taste. The laziest beer in existence. Technically a beer ingredient wise, this fails as any kind of drinkable liquid. I can't even take another sip to judge the mouthfeel...

M- Okay, I can, but it sucked. Here's a shocker; feels like every other adjunct; thin body and way too much carbonation.

D- I don't think I'll ever be able to drink more than two ounces at a time of this "beer". (721 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -58.1%

Appearance: Light gold color, small fizzy white head dissapears quickly.

Smell: I can smell the corny/rotten cabage smell the instant I cracked the bottle. It gets worse the closer your nose is to the beer.

Taste: Absolutely awful. Corn and rice flavors, rotten vegetables, lifeless and nasty. One of the worst beers I have had, ever.

Drinkability: Utterly awful. Another bad lager from Mexico. (403 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -58.1%

A - Brilliantly clear light yellow color, with a very strange head that recedes to nothing.
S - Notes of DMS, grainy huskiness, and higher fusel aromas.
T - Some grainy huskiness, followed by DMS, and no hops.
M - Very sickly texture, with okay carbonation.

This is an incredibly bad beer. The DMS (Vegital) flavors and aromas combined with the grainy husky characters are very unappealing. (391 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -57.7%

I may have had a bad bottle but this was just awful. Pale golden color, darker than I anticipated produced a flat looking faint head. Smell was strong acrid, metallic, non-beer smell. Taste was equally bad, serious acrid, bitter, harsh, and slimy sourness to finish. Sadly for the first time since the "Hurricane Rasperry Wheat incident" the first beer I could not finish.......Maybe with all that money we give Mexico, we can just ask to have this brewery destroyed........ughh. (479 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -56.6%

473ml can
4.5% ABV

I tried this beer on February 21, 2008 after purchasing from my local LCBO outlet. The beer poured an a translucent gold colour with a thin white head, and significant effervescence. The smell was quite awful actually, grainy vomit describes it best. The mouthfeel was highly carbonated and watery. The flavour was metallic in nature. A bit of malt, a bit of sweetness, but no hoppy bitterness. (414 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -56.2%

I had my inlaws over last September, and after they left, I found this can in my refirgerator. It sat there until now, when I fianlly decided to get rid of it. Instead of just pouring it down the drain, I thought to review it. So, here it is. This beer pours like urine. It looks like piss in a toilet. The head looks like white soap bubbles in the sink. The head disappers very fast leaving absolutely no laces. It smells very bad. Maybe like rotting corn? I cant really place it. It tasted skunky. Other than that, it didnt really have any distiguishable flavors. It was too carbonated, I think. It was a harsh beer that didnt sit well on the palate. Drinking more than one of there beers would probably make you sick. I just poured mine out. Probably the smartest thin I did since I opened the can. Do not drink this beer. (825 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -55.5%

mmm, Tecate, NOT!

A pale yellow urinish color with a weak white head. Smells yeasty and a bit grainy. Pours with a pretty ok head, but it is gone all too soon. The taste is fairly standard for any mexican lager or any macro lager for that matter. Grainy and bitter corn mixed with cheap hops. Overall it is an average macro lager, but the again, most of them fall under standard. I'd rather have a water. (405 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -52.8%

The mexican equivalent of BMC. The pour is piss yellow with no lace and a distinctly acidic scent that is not inviting at all. Flavor is all corn and grain mixed in with too much carbonation. I guess the figure the more carbonation the more it will mask the bad flavor...well in that case they need to add some more because the flavor is pretty much non existent and when you do taste something, it tastes like dry skunk. Not recommended. (438 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -52.5%

Pale yellow color with a two finger head with low retention. Light unpleasant corn aroma, and booze with metalic notes.
Likewise, sweet corn taste, lots of cardboard and butter. Dry aftertaste.
Light body with low carbonation.
Below average adjunct lager, sweeter, more use of corn, high on off-flavors and less crispy given lack of hops and low carbonation. Stay away, hard to get worse. (388 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -52.1%

Drank a can of this today.

Pouring a light yellow with a dense white head with decent retention, this looks acceptably good. No real lace, though. The nose is rather bad. Vegies and corn, this has no hop character (none expected), no malt, just nothing but some corn and vegies. The palate is the same and arguably worse. Vegies, corn and watery thin with no flavor of any significance, and an awful, watery finish with a lingering nastiness. I could not drink more than 2 sips of this. (487 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -51.7%

Chilled can. Why not.

A: Pours a lightly straw-tinged amber body in the glass. I'm surprised by how dark it is, as I was picturing "fizzy yellow beer." The head retains well and leaves some patches of lacing.

S: It's mildly grainy.... Uh, that's it. Not offensive. Just there.

T: Mild grain and a really off-putting metallic flavor in the finish. I expected this to be completely innocuous and to finish cleanly, so I was surprised that this had any flavor to it, and a bad one at that.

M: Light-bodied, high in carbonation.

D: I wound up running into another beer nerd at the party, and he told me this was his favorite of all the macros. I haven't had any in years, but I thought the whole point of macros was that they are flavorless, not actually bad. (765 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Just a step above coors lite. This beer is bland,bland,bland!!!! A typical lager from Mexico. Golden in color with a extremely thin head, aroma was just not there. Overall if you like bland brew this may be the one for you. (223 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -49.8%

Possibly one of the greatest sins against beer ever perpetrated. Run, don't walk, away from this beer. Trust me on this one. Definitely rates highest on the "urine" scale amongst mexican beers. Whereas most of the time you can find something positive to say about a mexican beer consumed while on a beach or something, this stuff is way too bad. Corn husks and skunked grain dominate this beer. Pretty fizzy, leaves that "draino" aftertaste in your mouth after being consumed from the can. Even if you're looking for mexican crap-beer to have on the beach, there are so many better options. (590 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -49.8%

A - Pours a mild yellow, somewhat like straw. Has just over a finger-sized head that doesn't last very long.

S - Smells of grain and corn, a hint of sweetness, and oddly enough the slight scent of wet leaves.

T - Has a bland sweetness with the taste of cereal grains, maybe rice, and corn. The hops were almost non-existent, like an afterht

M - The aftertaste lingers for way too long and is pretty awful. The carbonation is way too heavy, leaving a foamy sensation along the sides of the mouth that seems to soak the aftertaste in even further. I spent the rest of the night with this sensation, no matter what else I tried to use to wash it away.

D - If someone serves this absurdly cold, it might be palatable. I just don't know if you could get it that cold without freezing it altogether. (797 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -49.4%

Tecate is about as clear and yellow as the typical Monterrey sky and sun where it's brewed. Its colour is slightly more faded than expected, unequivocally lighter than its point-five percent less alcohol than average would indicate; there isn't even a strand of golden in sight. Fortunately for its sake there is some fuzzy white foam assembled atop.

A lot of industrially produced beers are brewed with corn - some are brewed with rice. Some of those lagers hide it well - others do not. This is heroically unabashed about the cheap, synthetic rice-based filler that's watered it down. The result is something wretchedly stenchy and greatly disagreeable - perhaps the worst smelling beer I've encountered.

And the taste fares no better. If an authentic lager is brewed with 100% barley malt and most industrial lagers are brewed with 75% barley and 25% adjuncts, I'd guess this was (at best) a fifty/fifty cut. Dry, parched rice paddies are by and large the only thing tasted - not even an ounce of authentic barley malt - and the taste is, for my palate, god awful.

That flavour of dry, parched rice paddies leaves the mouth feeling exactly the same way - dry and parched. It is made so without even the tiniest gratification, leaving one to seek water out immediately and the off-putting, unpalatable flavour that lingers leaves one wanting to stab the tongue repeatedly with a fork, if only to alleviate the agony.

Tecate has the same effect on the senses as a knife being scraped across a plate or nails on a chalkboard. It has about as much appeal as trench foot and it probably smells only fractionally better. This offends me more than homosexuality does Islam. I'd rather be punched in the testicles than finish what's left. This is the best example of the worst beer.

A million poets working for a million years could still only describe but three eights of this beer's repulsiveness. It completely eclipses anything bad that has ever been said about Corona. Feel free to recognize the things written here as just my own opinions, but heed them as warnings and proceed to ignore them at your own risk. (2,119 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -48.7%

Presentation: donated by my roommate, so I didn't have to spend money on this bottle. 12oz. brown twist off. No sort of freshness date or marking.

Appearance: light golden yellow color. Not quite as light as a bud, miller, or coors, but very close. Small bone white head dissapates as quickly as it formed. There is a little bit of effervescence.

Smell: vegetal and DMS laden. Light graininess in the background with alcohol and a soapy aroma.

Taste: sugary sweet body with more DMS. No sort of hop flavor or bitterness that I can detect. Body, mouthfeel, and finish is much like club soda.

Notes: This is terrible. Definitely one of the worse beers that I have had. There's nothing to this beer. Light carbonation, overly sweet, no flavor, and a aroma laden with faults. (783 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -46.8%

It was on special for a $1... Had to try it.

It's your typical Mexican beer... Light and only drinkable in a Mexican all inclusive resort at the pool side bar. With that said, since I walked into a bar in Arrlington, VA and was offered it for $1.00, I had to at least try it :) (279 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -45.7%

Offered to me at a friend's house. Who am I to say no to a free beer?

12 oz bottle poured into an over-sized pils glass. Not a lot of head and no laving at all. Color is a slightly amber yellow with lots of clarity.

Smell is like wet hay. Taste is pretty awful. Like sweaty socks smell.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. This is a really awful cerveca. (350 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -44.2%

It looks watery. Except for maybe a more impressive head (still struggling to retain itself), it looks like a Bud Light. In the time it took to write that sentence, the head coverage is gone--liquid lager looming through... It's highly carbonated, as evidenced by millions of CO2 bubbles speeding to the top. I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat.

If I smell anything, it's the bubbles. Since CO2 is odorless, I guess that means I otherwise "feel" the bubbles--they touch my nose if I try to smell it. It's not like those of you putting your noses in beer, but the carbonated beverage jumps out of the cup and hits me. It's a fizzy mess.

Taste is not good. I feel like I've done something wrong by pouring this one into a glass. Perhaps a plastic Solo Cup would be more fitting.

Mouthfeel is the worst part. The bubbles I had felt with my nose I feel with my mouth. It's purty horrible. This is the worst part of a pretty bad beer.

I considered giving this one some credit for its light, regular lager brand appeal, but I wouldn't really want to play beer pong with it. Even in its hometown in Mexico, don't people there prefer Bud Light? Does Tecate advertise and market itself well like the "King of Beers?" I'm just trying to figure out how/why a beverage like this makes such a long trip. (1,298 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

It one of the worse beer ever tasted ! I am easy to please in drinking beer department but this beer did not please me !

Appearance. Light frothy head with brown color to it..

Smell : it worse smelling beer I have ever smelled

Taste : It very chemically to it. It has some grains but overall all chemical and not bitterness too it
Mouthul. It is light to medium carbonation

Overal : This beer is not good. I take a Corona and Pacifico before this beer even a natural ice and icehouse. (489 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I got the 24 oz. can for $1.98 at Winco Foods. This is the beer Evil Dick drank on Big Brother 8. I bought a twelve pack a couple years ago and thought it tasted so watery and bad I threw it all down the drain. I guess Winco always carries this but I never noticed. Taking another chance. Didn't buy it to review but I'll do it anyway. ;)

serving type: can
appearance: I always drink from the can.
smell: malty
taste: water and malt and metal
mouthfeel: low. 1.5
drinkability: i wouldn't buy it again. it's like 12 bux a 12 pk. i can buy something better for less. (566 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Smells a tad skunky (even coming from a can), looks like every macro lager, and tastes a little worst than most. I couldn't drink two in a row. Similar to Brazil's "kaiser", but even "heavier" on my stomach. No head, disappointing colour, and the smell has been mentioned already. I'd choose water over this most times. (319 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -41.9%

Light gold color, medium white foamy head. Aroma is cornish and sweet. A light bodied lager style beer. Light malt and hops. Very little flavor or taste. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is nearly neutral. Not much to this beer, well made, but just not much taste. (288 characters)

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.