Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tecate Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Mexican beer should only be compared to mexican beer. When a country's water has the reputation that Mexico's has, one shouldn't expect the beer that's produced there to be on the same level as other beers from around the world. That being said, this is the salt and lime beer. They go down like water and all of a sudden you can't walk much less drive. Good for getting wasted but thats about it.

2.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a very transparent light straw with just a bit of fizzy head. Can see a lot of carbonation in the beer. Smell is not particularly strong - it's the usual grainy Mexican beer smell. Taste is... beer-flavored. Sort of. Carbonation is very forward, a little bit of malt in the aftertaste, and in the middle it might as well be seltzer. All told, there's nothing to offend, because there's really not much of anything at all. You could drink a lot of it, I guess, but that's about all it's got going for it. That and price (it's the only import going for less than $6/6-pack at my local supermarket).

3.1/5  rDev +23.5%

24 oz. can poured 10 0z. at a time into a 1970's Coors tavern glass.
Has that Mexican lager look. You know,kinda like an American lager, but a little darker and not quite as clear.
Smells OK. Nothin' funky.
Tastes pretty good, especially with a homemade bean and cheese tostada.

2.48/5  rDev -1.2%

A- clear straw golden with barely a white head and zero lace. Foam fades quickly to a thin ring and then to nothingness.

S- oddly American, smells like budweiser with some malty sourness.

T- tastes the same, very watery but yet very clean. Pale malt sweetness and nothing more.

MF- overly fizzy and watery. Sprite has more body.

D- extreme thirst or a party would both be incentives to drink this stuff and it's thin body and lack of flavor lend it refreshing qualities. I see why people add a lime but on that note, I'd prefer a corona.

1.08/5  rDev -57%

A- Pale yellow, foamyish head, with actually decent lacing. Big streams of bubbles floating upwards.

S- GAG! Wtf? This is the worst smelling beer ever. Smells like bile. Awful sour grain mash and a sticky bitter vileness. Just awful.

T- Flat sourness, that's all I taste. No depth and no stab at anything that someone would want to taste. The laziest beer in existence. Technically a beer ingredient wise, this fails as any kind of drinkable liquid. I can't even take another sip to judge the mouthfeel...

M- Okay, I can, but it sucked. Here's a shocker; feels like every other adjunct; thin body and way too much carbonation.

D- I don't think I'll ever be able to drink more than two ounces at a time of this "beer".

2.5/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.65/5  rDev +5.6%

After spending a week at a Mexican resort drinking nothing but Dos Equis (the only brew they had), I figured I'd try another Mexican brew to provide a comparison.

Except they're from the same brewery...oh well...

Pours a light golden, with a thin, fizzy head that dissolves almost immediately. No lacing, no ring.

The nose is slightly better than most macros, and certainly better than Dos Equis. A bit of malt character with floral hops near the back.

The taste is but a muted version of the nose. A bit more character than some, but still incredibly boring. Light malts, a bit of hops, slightly bitter finish. Bland, but drinkable. Certainly tastes better poured out than in the can. Although its watery, the carbonation isn't ridiculously spritzy, which is a plus for me. Pound-backable.

Just your run of the mill macro lager. I can barely tell the difference between Tecate and other brews of the style, including Dos Equis. Not worth it. If you're going to drink it, do it quickly and make sure it's cold.

3.73/5  rDev +48.6%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is a half inch in height, and recedes within seconds into no lacing. The aroma is of faint bready malt with a hint of grassy and floral hops. For an adjunct lager this is actually a really nice aroma, and has solid complexity. The taste is like the aroma, but a little milder. There is still nice complexity, but it would be nice if it came out a little more as it did in the aroma. The mouthfeel is light bodied with moderate carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a very pleasant surprise. It has a lot more complexity and flavor that most beers in its style, and it very easy drinking. I will certainly drink this again.

2.23/5  rDev -11.2%

Why is it the more beers you sample the worse a certain beer gets? A few years ago Tecate tasted fine. Did they change the recipe once they merged, or have my taste buds grown and developed? Perhaps its a bit of both. There is a definite "Mexican" taste in the beer's finish - somewhat similar to Corona, but more pronounced. It is the finish that saves this beer from just being another Miller or Budweiser. On a hot day it is drinkable - especially after you've had too many to care what you are drinking. Pouring it out of a can into a Pilsner glass brings out more flavor - highly suggested that you do NOT drink it straight from a can. Had the beer in Mexico in a bottle a few years back and it seemed to taste better. Again - recipe change? Bottle vs. can? Who knows... At least it isn't as pricey as it used to be!

2.63/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

From the bottle, the beer poured golden with a surprisingly sticky head above it. The malt and grain waft above in a light aroma. Adjunct is also involved here.

Light and smooth on the palate. More bland malt on the palate with a bit of bitterness at the end. This beer has a certain stale quality to it that I did not enjoy. Probably will not drink again.

3.05/5  rDev +21.5%

This is basically an average version of the style. Typical clear pale yellow color with a thin white head that dissipated quickly and left no head.

The aroma was the expected slightly sweet, sorta grassy, touch of skunk that you'd be unsurprised to find. Ditto the taste. Grain, grass and sweet malt are what you get.

A pleasant surprise is that the body is a wee bit fuller than expected. Drinkability is typical, it just flows right down the throat. If you don't approach this brew with any great expectations, you won't be disappointed.

2.9/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a can into a glass, to compare it with my prior review of the beer from a bottle.

Well it seems pretty much the same. Average inoffensive American/Mexican macro beer. Better than some but not in anyway outstanding.

Not bad when drunk cold. Mostly can pick up barley malt flavor with some cornyness. No hops to speak of. Lots of carbonation. Too sweet for my taste but not to the point of being cloying.

3.48/5  rDev +38.6%

Well, simply put it's a run of the mill cheap drinkable beer. It's light, not much head to it on the pour if any at all. I put lime and salt in it to "add" to the flavor. Wouldn't drink it without the two. I prefer this to corona, which I hate. I could drink these if I wanted to get drunk and not drink BMC. I would call this a classy college beer. lol.

2.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Simply put, if going for a Mexican beer, i prefer this to Corona. I am still putting Modelo and Negra Modelo as my preferred Mexican beers, but Tecate will do in a pinch. I prefer mine with a bunch of lime and a touch of salt - Chelada style. It hides the mediocre beer that inhabits this can.

2.98/5  rDev +18.7%

Had this at some tavern on the lower east side, got it as a special, a shot of tequila and a can of tecate. Appearance is a straw colour and both the smell and taste are citrus-y, somewhat better than your average adjunct lager. However, the mouthfeel is a little too light. If I was in a warmer climate and I had a choice between this and BMC, I would take the Tecate, but I greatly prefer a Bohemia, a Negra Modelo, or even a Carta Blanca.

2.58/5  rDev +2.8%

House sitting for a part time beer geek who for some unknown reason has cans of this in his fridge. I realized I've never reviewed an adjunct lager so I figured I'd give this a shot while the beer I brought for tonight chills in the fridge. 12 oz can poured into a glass mug.

A medium sized head forms and is actually retained fairly well. Body is a clear straw color that's seems to be half a shade darker than other macros. Awkwardly large bubbles intermittently rise to the surface as I take my notes.

Smell is very thin with some very faint citrus and ice tea aromas and some cornmeal character if you dig really deep.

Bizarre pasted on faint watered down adjunct sweetness and not much else. Same bland iced tea I picked up on the aroma. I'm trying to dig deep and pull out some other flavors but it's just not happening.

The carbonation isn't overly assertive but a bit strange. Not fine and prickly but still fairly active. I don't know how to put it, I guess I'm not used to it.

I don't feel regret leaving beers like this behind and next time I see one of these in a fridge curiosity will not tempt me again but I don't find it as horrible as some seem to (although I'll admit I only finished enough to complete the review). I'd put in on par with PBR which seems to get love on this site for reasons I don't understand.

1.25/5  rDev -50.2%

Chilled can. Why not.

A: Pours a lightly straw-tinged amber body in the glass. I'm surprised by how dark it is, as I was picturing "fizzy yellow beer." The head retains well and leaves some patches of lacing.

S: It's mildly grainy.... Uh, that's it. Not offensive. Just there.

T: Mild grain and a really off-putting metallic flavor in the finish. I expected this to be completely innocuous and to finish cleanly, so I was surprised that this had any flavor to it, and a bad one at that.

M: Light-bodied, high in carbonation.

D: I wound up running into another beer nerd at the party, and he told me this was his favorite of all the macros. I haven't had any in years, but I thought the whole point of macros was that they are flavorless, not actually bad.

2.65/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Ordered a bottle for $3 at Papa Gallo and poured it into a pilsner glass. This clear gold lager had a distinct roasted corn and husk flavor, which isn't off-putting, but isn't the most pleasant taste. I give this brew credit for actually having flavor. And at $3 for a decent restaurant, it's also not a bad option between tequila drinks.

2.1/5  rDev -16.3%

I drank this from a can into a glass in Cabo San lucas.

It pours a light clear gold with a white head, not much head or lacing.

The aroma is light hops and a lot of skunk. The taste is basically the same. The mouthfeel is less than water, is that possible? Drinkable is ok but what's the point with the abv.

1.3/5  rDev -48.2%

A - Pours a mild yellow, somewhat like straw. Has just over a finger-sized head that doesn't last very long.

S - Smells of grain and corn, a hint of sweetness, and oddly enough the slight scent of wet leaves.

T - Has a bland sweetness with the taste of cereal grains, maybe rice, and corn. The hops were almost non-existent, like an afterht

M - The aftertaste lingers for way too long and is pretty awful. The carbonation is way too heavy, leaving a foamy sensation along the sides of the mouth that seems to soak the aftertaste in even further. I spent the rest of the night with this sensation, no matter what else I tried to use to wash it away.

D - If someone serves this absurdly cold, it might be palatable. I just don't know if you could get it that cold without freezing it altogether.

1.63/5  rDev -35.1%

16 oz. can poured into a glass. Purchased at the mini market at our resort in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico.

A-Crystal-clear darker-straw-colored brew. Large-bubbled pale white head rises bigger off the pour, but then receded quite quickly to sparse bubbles, then to nothing remaining.

S-Grain, corn, slightly musty, no discernable hop presence.

T-Grainy, again a bit musty, if that makes sense. Seems to have that flavor found in many cheap ice beers, though this isn't an ice beer and the ABV is a modest 4.5%.

M-Medium-bodied beer, but probably more medium-light were it not for the heavy-ish flavor. Moderate-high carbonation level.

D-Low. Wouldn't even be good on the beach. Didn't finish this one.

2.48/5  rDev -1.2%

I wouldn't go out of my way for this one. It's pretty "average" in every way. I envision this as the Mexican-man's Budweiser. Nothing remarkable but nothing truly offensive. Pale light yellow with minimal head. No real strong smell to pick up other than some hints of corn and malt. Taste is so-so. Mouthfeel is watery and boring. It's "drinkable" but I wasn't impressed at all.

2.33/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Pours a light highlighter orange. Head is white with weak retention and no lacing. Pretty much across the board for this style.

S: Corn syrup and grains.

T: Slightly sweet with a harsh aftertaste.

M: Highly carbonated water.

D: I can't even say this is good in a pinch since there are at least three other beers I would pick over it and which are cheaper.

1.95/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from 24 oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: very pale straw with a one-finger foam head which dissipated quite rapidly. Par for the course for an adjunct lager.

Smell: typical adjunct graininess mixed with with some plastic/chemical aroma which is not good at all.

Taste: thankfully, it's a little better than it smells, but not much. Grain and chemicals ... blech.

Mouthfeel: medium body, OK carbonation. Pretty average.

Drinkability: sadly, the overall nastiness of the flavor brings the drinkability way down. Sure, it's a light lager suitable for outdoor work, but damn, it just ain't good.

1.7/5  rDev -32.3%

On tap at a wedding. Wow, this is awful.

A - Fizzy clear yellow color with a quickly fading white head.

S - Aroma is rice, corn, and sweet pale malt.

T - More of the same, really grainy and bland, without much to it at all. Did a side-by-side with Budweiser, and they are almost exactly the same beer. That is not a good thing.

M - Palate is pretty watery with high carbonation.

D - Well, it's light and crisp, but then again, it also tastes terrible. So drinkability is not very good.

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.