Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tecate Alström Bros
2.78/5  rDev +10.8%

Ah, Tecate in a can. I am definitely back in Texas.

Poured from the can into my Sam Adams crazy pint glass (a sin, perhaps, I know), Tecate shines bright in hue of golden straw. Light and fluffy white head that settles fast into a thin film. Much better lace than I would have expected here. Seriously, this isn't a great looking beer, but it's much prettier than I could ever have imagined. The nose is bland. Sweet malt, grassy and bready, with faint notes of caramel and maybe lemon. Kind of reminds me of that distinguishable malt liquor scent, but I don't mean that in a good way. Still, I've had worse-smelling beers. Taste is par for the course. Sweet and malty, some distant lemon, pretty bland. Sort of like flavored dishwater, but more refreshing. Mouthfeel is thin, but clean and refreshing.

First of all, you want to drink this beer cold; warm Tecate is bad news. Secondly, there are worse macro lagers to drink on a hot Texas summer day. I'd much rather have a Tecate in a can over a Bud or Bud Light any day. A totally average beer, to be sure, but if you temper your expectations accordingly you won't be disappointed.

Atlas1, Jul 29, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -24.3%

I pour it into a pint glass to investigate. Pale yellow gold color and a crappy little fizzy head that goes away rapidly. It stinks of inferior ingredients. I would describe it as smelling like old corn (duck feed) and a sour dish rag. There's a hint of sweetness from maltyness in the flavor. But this Budweiser-of-Mexico is thin-bodied, mediocre, and not very tasty. In other words, it's exactly what I expected.

berserker256, Jul 28, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +89.2%

i go down to mexico every december and this is the most popular beer in the town, trevino. which is located right outside of monterrey where it's brewed so it's always fresh. This beer is amazing, it is way better when bought in mexico than it is in america. even the ones in texas don't taste the same. never buy in a bottle you will be disappointed. canned is the way to go. at five dollars a 6pack you cant beat it. by far my favorite beer and mexico's finest. i wanna brush my teeth with it

BoSox5902, Jul 24, 2008
2.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Single, twelve-ounce bottle copped from Total Wine and More in West Orange for $1.49...
A hefty pour yielded a porous, light-golden hue with aggressive carbonation, no head, and hardly any lacing...
Faint macro-like aroma with strong hints of corns, grains, and slight malts...
Taste strongly complemented the smell, very light, unassertive, corn-laden, and mass-produced with little attention to quality...
Loose, watered-down, flimsy mouthfeel, albeit refreshing, crisp, and clean with no alcohol detectable...
Overall, not a great Mexican stab at the style...

dsa7783, Jul 18, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +4.8%

24 ounce tallboy from 7-11.

Pours out a more clear than usual yellow color. Head formation and retention is poor, even with harder pouring. Some of the worst I've seen. What was there was made of large fizzy bubbles and did not last for more than a few seconds before being reduced to a ring.

Has a moderately strong apple juice aroma. Kind of looks like apple juice too. The nose holds together well enough, with little sign of adjucts.

Nothing excites on the palate. Grain husk and corn flavors. I get a general impression of staleness and low quality ingredients. Faint hop bitterness that doesn't linger much on the finish, which could have been crisper or drier. Some lemony citrus is not a bad touch. The finish is mostly a corn flakes aftertaste. On the plus side, it actually doesn't worsen as it warms. It's far from the worst offender in terms of adjucts.

Mouthfeel is adequate enough I guess. There's enough heft to let me know I'm drinking beer. Carbonation is a touch prickly.

So blah. I'm hard pressed to even come up with thoughts or opinions on this beer. It's not so offensive that I would turn one down, and I'm sure it washes down food well enough, but it's just dull. I was so bored by halfway through the can that I forgot it was in front of me. If I was preoccupied, I'm sure I could down a couple. The price discourages future buys. How Mexican beers are consistently more expensive than Canadian ones that are almost always better confuses me. Not the best or worst Mexican beer.

ommegoose, Jul 15, 2008
1.1/5  rDev -56.2%

A - Brilliantly clear light yellow color, with a very strange head that recedes to nothing.
S - Notes of DMS, grainy huskiness, and higher fusel aromas.
T - Some grainy huskiness, followed by DMS, and no hops.
M - Very sickly texture, with okay carbonation.

This is an incredibly bad beer. The DMS (Vegital) flavors and aromas combined with the grainy husky characters are very unappealing.

donaldchapman, Jul 14, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +49.4%

I've had this occasionally over the years, but not recently. This used to be pretty much the only beer my wife would drink, with a LOT of lime, so I'd have one with her at a restaurant or whatever.

Recently, at a barbecue, these were available in the bottle, iced nice and cold from an ice chest. Drank sans lime. Tasted like Mexican beer, as usual, but something a little sweeter and less offensive than Corona. Many comments from others, along the lines of this tasting better than Corona, which seems to be ubiquitous at these functions. Had four or five left over (didn't realize my wife had bought these!), so I got to take them home and enjoy in the following week. Still have a couple, so they're not THAT great, but nothing to shy away from if they're on special at the supermarket.

Auroraboy, Jul 05, 2008
2.53/5  rDev +0.8%

It pours a very clear and pale pale pale straw yellow. A finger of loose bright white head settles into the yellowness is no time. Lacing is thin, sparse, and incidental.

The aroma is pretty much devoid of any real malt reference, but despite a vegetal adjunct nose, the hops, while metallic, contain a measure of clean spice .

Upon tasting, the malt is a quick flash, narrow and ethereal, before the corn leaks through. Hops impart a mere dash of spice before they go bitter, though mildly so, and start to turn dry. The finish is a continuation of the drying trend, lingering into a clean glow. Well, it's neither the worst or sparsest cerveza I've sampled, whatever that says.

Light bodied, there's not even enough carbonation to keep things interesting. The sole asset, if you want to call it that, is the remnant of a clean buzz on the palate.

A friend brough a sixer to the house, and left three on his departure. I drank one. There are still two left, and will be for some time unless he comes back soon. Just not my cup of tea, as it were. The thin nature works toward a drinkable character, but as is so often the case in macro style beers, the question to ask is, why would I drink this over other, more worthy possibilities? The answer, for me is, I wouldn't. Not again, anyway.

Foxman, Jun 30, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +36.7%

Pour: 24oz can, bought for $1.99, poured into pint glass. Pour releases minuscule amount of head that immediately disappears without a trace. Minimal carbonation does nothing to excited the thin brown liquid. Uh oh...

Nose: Smell is acrid and waxy, some sort of beer experiment with the Crayola Co? A minute hint of grass aroma peaks through, but quickly gets waxed and feathered. Double uh oh...

Mouth: Immediately the flavors show recognizable "Mexican" characteristics, which I feel I would know even if I was doing this tasting blind. A distinct citrus character plays lead role in the balancing act of floral hops and mild malts. The feel is very well carbonated and exciting on the palate, despite the lack of visible bubbles in the brew.

Overall: Never would have guessed it, but this was a real pleasure to drink.

clickpush, Jun 27, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured from 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Pale yellow, perfectly clear. Half inch of white head recedes quickly to nothing. No lacing.

S - Almost nothing. Wet dog, metallic grain with hint of sweetness. Very faint though.

T - Not too horrible. Not as much grain and corn as I'd expected, but still bland. Hint of sweetness near the end keeps this beer a little interesting, along with a slight metallic hop twinge.

M - On point with the style. Highly carbonated and thin. I gave this another half a point because it actually keeps itself out of the "watery" range.

D - A little boring to drink too many of these, and if I was drunk and reaching for a macro, Tecate probably wouldn't come to mind first. Decent and unoffensive enough though.

PatrickJR, Jun 18, 2008
2.65/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Very light gold color, bright white head, minimal lacing.

S: Not much aroma, a hint of grain

T: Nothing stood out, a little sweet, a touch of maltyness

M: Light and smooth

D: Easy, about as easy as any light BMC offering.

Suprising to me was how much better this was then I feared. BMC drinkers will love this as its spot on for a light american style lager. It was head and shoulders above corona, but a step behind Modelo. As far as Mexican beers go though its not bad.

Taipans, Jun 16, 2008
2.53/5  rDev +0.8%

24-ounce can poured into a pint glass yields a pale golden body capped with a huge bright white head that quickly diminishes, but leaves a little lacing

Smell? What smell? Perhaps the faintest hint of malt and grain, but not much else.

Taste is mildly malty and corny sweet. Slightly musty and metallic with the faintest hint of citrusy hops.

Drinkablity similar to that of flavored water, which this beer strongly remembles.

cvstrickland, Jun 14, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -13.5%

Ugh, this is bad, although (as most reviewers have observed) I wasn't expecting anything at all, so whatever. It pours I light pee color, and really smells awful (like, hard core cat pee, and I'm not exaggerating...well maybe a little). Flavor is skunky malt and grain with a ton of insipid crap tossed in (corn?). Body is thin...it's exactly like you'd expect a macro lager to be, only it's from Mexico. I will say, it seems like most of the Mexican beer I've tried is the definitely of "lawnmower," high in the way of crisp-cool-refreshing, and low in the way of goodness. I wouldn't have more than one.

soupyman10, Jun 12, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +28.7%

I had so little in the way of expectations that I was quite surprised by the easy drinkability of this beer. Absolutely nothing special whatsoever, but as Mexican lagers go it's really not bad. I would say its closest equal is Budweiser.
Light malty pilsener style flavor with very little hop presence. Some adjunct, but nothing too off or weird; just a fairly solid cheap macro lager. I would drink it again.

Hoagie1973, Jun 11, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Poured a clear, gold with a sparse, fizzy white head. Visible carbonation was very faint and soft.

S: a little hop spiciness with some lemons. Nothing special but better then expected.

T: some light caramel with a spicy, lemon zest hopping. There was some lemon basil while the overall flavor was fairly sweet with some honey.

M: very light, sweet, with light caramel.

D: Mediocre drinkability, worth finishing out, but not seeking a second round.

beerthulhu, Jun 10, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +34.7%

Pours a yellowish amber color, with an exceptional amount of head. Not bad for a Mexican beer. Appearance is a bit bright, especially for a lager.

The taste is somewhat more adequate than I'd expect from a lager, but it has a weak and quick dissipating aftertaste. It could be stronger and more fulfilling.

It's definitely a good beer to drink if you've been thirsty this summer, there's no doubt about that! Definitely not a "go to" beer, but a good "warm up" beer for something much better.

Getinthevan, Jun 09, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +46.6%

A: Clear pale yellow color with to much head but good lacing down the glass.

S: Smells like a soft vienna lager with floral hoppy and malty smell.

T: Floral flavors kinda fruity but mostly tastes of a bitter yeast.

M/D: Good drinkability with a watery feel that is light but not too light and slightly grainy.

Kemmerlin, Jun 07, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +22.7%

The most remarkable aspect to this beer was the head. Wow, what a rocky, frothy foam. It's quite impressive actually. Most beers this small have the head to match. Apart from that, it's your average yellow Mexican lager. It's refreshing and crisp, but nothing to get excited about.

TheEremite, May 31, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from 12oz to standard pint, pours a golden extremely clear, white head fades

smells of adjuncts, maltiness

tastes crisp, bitter, reminds me of labatt blue, corn, metallic slightly

mouthfeel is crisp, light, watery - not a lot of flavor here

I would pick PBR over this anyday.

drxandy, May 31, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -16.3%

A - Poured out a clear, straw yellow color with a very fizzy, small, white head. No lace.

S - It smelled of corn and grain adjuncts.

T - It tasted of corn and grains. There was a bitterness to the taste, too.

M - It was crisp but a thin watered-down. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is a lake/fishing beer.

zeff80, May 30, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +12.7%

Better than Corona without the lime. Smells kind of sweet, maybe this is a corn grit/ brewer's corn syrup thing going on here. Very light body, maybe they should have called it "Agua Tecate". Mild taste of corn and grain, followed by an almost dextrin sweetness. There's also a kind of sourness in the middle too, I believe this is what some on this site would call Tannis or Tannin. (which I guess is an "astringent polyphenol", for you chemistry geeks out there. It's in Tannic acid in tea, so I guess this is tea beer,lol.) Prickly carbonation. Not too bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Would be great with some Taco Bell late night. I guess it's the Bud/Miller of Mexico.

TwinSox33, May 24, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -4.4%

Clear golden color, white wispy lace. Head is almost gone as soon as the pour is done.

Weak aromas of corn, DMS, a a hint of alcohol. The flavor is weak, mainly showcasing carbonation and grain husk tannins. Only the mildest prick of grassy hops at the finish. Thin mouthfeel, overall weak presentation.

Served in a 24-oz. tall boy can.

BretSikkink, May 23, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Ubiquitous in the local Mex restaurants, but never had one. Chance meeting with a $.50 bottle. Let's give 'er a go.
Sweet malt aroma with whiffs of grain and bread and a familiar light lager sourness. Typical. Nothing bad. Nothing special
View upon pouring was of no color, but in the glass it appeared much darker. Small white head that's rather noisy. Brilliantly clear yellow gold showing lots of action of bubbles rising. Again typical.
Wow! The flavors shoot right through the mouth, making them tough to identify when there appearance is so brief. Seems to lack the bread/grain quality of the aroma (of which I'm growing fond). Boy, it's hard to capture much. Most prominent is the sourness of the middle and finish. What I taste up front is wet and cold (is that a flavor?). Any bitterness doesn't exist. A touch of malt at the end. There just isn't much there.
Fully carbonated with tiny, almost sharp bubbles, but it's okay.
The start was quite alright, but the rest accounts for the overall low scores.

garymuchow, May 17, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -55%

473ml can
4.5% ABV

I tried this beer on February 21, 2008 after purchasing from my local LCBO outlet. The beer poured an a translucent gold colour with a thin white head, and significant effervescence. The smell was quite awful actually, grainy vomit describes it best. The mouthfeel was highly carbonated and watery. The flavour was metallic in nature. A bit of malt, a bit of sweetness, but no hoppy bitterness.

cyrenaica, May 13, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +47.4%

Pours out the can a dark straw yellow-with a thin pillow white head. Aroma is not of hops but a sweet corn aroma? Taste is soapy and adjunct sweet. Mouthfeel is thin, highly carbonated and crisp. I have to say the drinkability is very high-I would drink this over bud or an American big boy lager

bradybeer, May 12, 2008
Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.