Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tecate Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev -5.2%

The beer was served in my trusty Arrogant Bastard Pint glass. One of these days I am going to pour one to many shity beers in this glass and it will shatter.

Appearance: The beer pours a light golden yellow coloration. The head was white and resolves almost as fast as its poured.

Smell: The beers aroma is a clean grain smell. A but of floral mineral aroma present.

Taste: The beers flavor is of clean grain and a bit of sweetness. The sweetness is reined in by a slight twang.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is light bodied. The carbonation works well with the beer. This is simply another alcohol delivery system.

nlmartin, May 28, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +12.7%

A-Yellow w/heavy carbonation and little head w/short duration.

S-Corn and lake fish on an August afternoon.

T-Light malt and faint hops in the finish. Some metallic flavors as well.

M-Highly carbonated and balance is proper for style.

D-Hate to say it, but better w/lime and salt. This one is the low one on the totem today, and we've had some good times w/this one in the past, but it's not too tasty w/out some help.

guntherhophead, May 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +44.6%

32oz brown bottle with pop top.
Poured light golden. 1/2 inch head retained it well. Laced down to the bottom of the glass

Smelled of light bisquity malt and some light hop aroma.

Tasted of light malt as expected balanced with light hops.

Refreshing. Light. fairly fizzy mouth feel.

Cold and refreshing. Very drinkable, nice beer for a hot afternoon cool down after chores or a night out. Would be able to kwoff a few of these at a BBQ. It is what it was meant to be.

Bought these to refill the bottles with home brew. At $2.50 a quart bottle, well worth it.

spacholl, May 22, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a very clear light golden color with a fizzy foam that disappears quite rapidly. Nothing in the way of retention, but a touch of lacing.

Actually has a pretty strong nose on it, which is not necessarily a good thing in this case. Sweet, light malts with some roasted corn notes and maybe even a hint of stale hoppiness.

Taste is pretty watery with a hefty corn presence mixed with some husky grains. Not as bad as I remember Tecate being. It has more flavor than the typical mexican lager, but it is not the best of flavor profiles.

twiggamortis420, May 21, 2009
1.48/5  rDev -41%

It looks watery. Except for maybe a more impressive head (still struggling to retain itself), it looks like a Bud Light. In the time it took to write that sentence, the head coverage is gone--liquid lager looming through... It's highly carbonated, as evidenced by millions of CO2 bubbles speeding to the top. I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat.

If I smell anything, it's the bubbles. Since CO2 is odorless, I guess that means I otherwise "feel" the bubbles--they touch my nose if I try to smell it. It's not like those of you putting your noses in beer, but the carbonated beverage jumps out of the cup and hits me. It's a fizzy mess.

Taste is not good. I feel like I've done something wrong by pouring this one into a glass. Perhaps a plastic Solo Cup would be more fitting.

Mouthfeel is the worst part. The bubbles I had felt with my nose I feel with my mouth. It's purty horrible. This is the worst part of a pretty bad beer.

I considered giving this one some credit for its light, regular lager brand appeal, but I wouldn't really want to play beer pong with it. Even in its hometown in Mexico, don't people there prefer Bud Light? Does Tecate advertise and market itself well like the "King of Beers?" I'm just trying to figure out how/why a beverage like this makes such a long trip.

marvin213, May 19, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +14.7%

A pale golden color body with a short fizzy head,no lacing left,light carbonation. Aroma of grain husks,cooked corn and a hint of hops.Flavor is grainy,biscuty,more of the corn,slightly sweet intially,with just a hint of bitterness,and skunk but not in a bad way. Light body,crisp clean mouthfeel,dry lager type finish. Quaffable and not offensive,,, meh another Pale Lager.

WakeandBake, May 17, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +34.7%

A: Pours a clear, pale yellow-golden color. The head is average-sized, white, and frothy. Retention is fair, with some wispy lacing.

S: Clean, bland malt. Actually some hop aroma - fairly grassy and herbal. A touch of clean white corn as well.

T: More of the same. Clean, nondescript malts. Surprisingly grassy and herbal hop flavors, although bitterness is predictably low. An inoffensive white corn character is present.

M: Standard medium body. Carbonation is somewhat perky.

D: Scores points for being inoffensive and respectably grassy/herbal on the tongue. Loses a few of them for a substandard malt profile, even for a mass-produced lager. Drinkable and refreshing. Nothing to write home about, but for the genre, pretty decent.

Clydesdale, May 14, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +18.7%

A: pours a pale golden yellow with a thin foamy white head that goes away quickly

S: a little metalic but otherwise slight maltyness but not much hopps aroma

T: pretty bland with a light sweetness and a small amount of fruity flavors, hardly any hoppy bitterness at all

M: watery with moderate carbonation

D: it's pretty light bodied and bland so it's pretty easy to drink

lonestar1836, May 12, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

473 ml can. Best before 10/MAR/03

A- Pale yellow. Big bubbly head. Streams of bubbles rising in the glass. Head actually lasts and leaves lacing on the glass.

S- Some floral hops. Touch of corn and touch of dusty carbonation.

T- Mild. Some lemony notes, but very mild on hops. Some bitterness, better a little warmed. Bit of pale malt with barely a touch of corn flavour. Very neutral (bland) flavour.

MF- Watery body. Leaves a wet muthfeel, not bad for thirst quenching I guess.

D- Goes down easily, but so does water. Better than the light north American macros, which it resembles.

JOaikido, May 10, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +27.5%

A Mexican classic,,,

appearance: Straw colored, very watery looking...typical macro lager. Average.

smell: Slightly malty, not much going on, you can smell a dry corn aroma. average.

taste: Not much going on. Slight malt character, a bit of hop bitterness, and a touch of corn. Taste like BMC. Yet really refreshing.

could drink it all night. Good camping beer.

yet really refreshing.

miket163, May 02, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A classic in northern Mexico football matches and Carnes Asadas, regretfully it isn't much good.

If served (though typically consumed straight from the can or bottle), the ice cold appearance and golden color are actually inviting, but it has little smell, and the taste... well, it's empty at first and bitter at last but not on a good manner, as for how it feels, it has the classic flaw of most commercial beers in northern Mexico, obnoxiously over-carbonated.

For some reason this beer actually gives me stomach aches, I mean it, I could drink litters of a good beer, would probably get drunk and a hangover the next morning but never a stomach ache after a couple of cans if drank too fast, I am not into medicine or why this happens but it's not good.

The Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma Brewing Company is well capable of producing a good lager when it sets its mind on it, but this emblematic brand seems to be produced en-mass and as cheaply as possible.

Barrilitos, Apr 27, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, pale yellow. 3/4 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and poor lacing. Smells of yeast cleanliness, strong adjunct aroma, and very weak malt note. Fits the style of an American Adjunct Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of adjunct up front and then some yeast cleanliness comes through. Overall, the not a very strong flavor, but also no strong adjunct aftertaste which is a plus.

Tone, Apr 20, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: golden lager--darker than a typical light. Minimal head that dissolves quickly. No lacing.

S: nothing too much$ adjunct smell.some residual malty sweetness.

T:nothing special, but decent for the style. Slightly grainy.

M: light with a good amount of carbonation.

D; pretty drinkable in the warm weather here in Phoenix.

Thorpe429, Apr 19, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +36.7%

This used to be one of my session beers in the summer when I lived in Texas. Cheap, crisp, cans (for the pool). I was shocked when I moved to Ohio and could only find it in bottles (gasp) at mexican restaurants and as a premium import, demanding a premium import price.

In TX on vacation and picked up a 12 pack for nastolgia.

A - light golden color. Nothing fancy.
S - very light and crisp, like a cerveza is expected to be.
T - Also very light and crisp. Nothing earth shattering. Doesn't have the skunkiness that Modelo does, but smoother than a Corona
M - thin and watery. Nothing heavy. Again, expected out of a Mexican cerveza.
D - that's the whole idea. Something light and crisp for a summer day. It meets that goal head-on.

HisDorian, Apr 07, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz/355 ml can into a Pint-ish glass.

Looks nice for a cheap beer. It develops a big head that lasts a while.

The smell is like any other Mex lager but not so skunky. You can smell corn but not the other strange stuff you smell in a Corona.

The taste is not bad. It's like a Corona magically transformed into a tastier drink. It has a hint of sweetness at the beginning, and it has a slightly bitter aftertaste. You might wanna add a lime, but it does not suck without it.

The feel is watery, low quality-feeling.

And it's easy to drink. Goes smoothly down the throat.

As I said, it's like a Corona turned into a better drink. It has a better taste, smell, well, better everything. It's not exactly an amazing drink though.

WildMaverick1200, Apr 06, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +24.7%

Had at a friend's house. Thanks big spender.

A - Poured straw-gold, with a 2 fingered head, dissipated fast and left no lacing.

S - DNS and lt honey.

T - Honey malts and light DNS.

M - Went down smooth and easy. No complaints about the mouthfeel.

D - Better than the American macro lagers, but still has a ways to go before hitting the big time of such lagers as Session or Red Stripe.

MisterClean, Apr 05, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +53.4%

Pours a pale yellow color with a one-finger head and ample carbonation into my glass.

Aroma is sweet and full of malt in the nose. Seems like a typical example of the style, which can be a good or bad thing.

Taste is smooth and grainy with only a hint of sweet malt. Inoffensive and seemingly easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is smooth and easy. No inoffensive flavors to be found.

Not a bad beer. Simple and quite drinkable for the style. It's certainly one of the nicer adjunct lagers I've had.

Brad007, Mar 28, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -4.4%

I went to help my brother-in-law sheet rock and this and modelo is what he had.

Poured a pale golden color with a small head that fades quickly

corn, musky, slight malt hints

taste is very thin and has a mildly sweet taste to it with a sligh hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is thin and decent carbonation.

Nothing amazing here and taste a lot like other mexican beers.

tr4nc3d, Mar 21, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

My dad gave me this one: he said he found it in the back of the fridge. Translation? This was certainly there for weeks, likely there for months and could have lived in a cold back corner behind the an old bottle of pickles or salad dressing for years. I fear the skunky beer.

A. Average pour leads to a less than average head. It quickly disappears into something that you would struggle to even call a ring. Very light, clear appearance.

S. I struggle to find anything at all but, what does come through is a simple sweet grains.

T. It tastes like it smells but, there is something else. Something almost metallic.

M. It almost feels like there is more carbonation that seen in the glass. Weird.

D. This one goes down easy enough. I picture a generic can of beer labeled as such: "BEER". I could drink this or most of the similar clones but, why bother? Answer: becuase it was a free non-skunky new-to-me beer!

Metal4Breakfast, Feb 15, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz. single - $1.29 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, golden body with a small, wispy, white head.

Smell: Clean-smelling, though fairly mild nose of meager malts and cornmeal.

Taste: Light pale malts with a handful of choice corn kernels and a mild sweetness. Very nominal hop presence and bitterness. Finishes is dry and come fairly quick.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: El yawno! A boring and altogether bland lager to pair up and down with Mexican chow, I suppose. I'll have to search the freezer for some taquitos!

ChainGangGuy, Feb 15, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If I overuse the word 'Typical' I apologise now.

Average looking macro..errrr Adjunct lager. Fizzy head, no real lacing, average p i double s color.

Corn and some faint, faint grains are all I could pull from this beer aroma-wise.

Watery, weak. Definite corn flavor in a polyester malt sport suit.

Average mexican brew. Thirst quenching on a long day on the links or the beach when in the neighborhood, not really worth seeking out above the 49th.

Shadman, Feb 01, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -14.3%

I am in possession of a can of Tecate, because I bought some for my bar for a new Latin night on Sundays. Although, actually, the Ecuadorans who are promoting it only told me to make sure I had bottles of Modelo (and, oddly, the main promoter did most of the drinking. Sold lots of Heineken.) and Corona. They never asked me to get Tecate.

So, what possessed me? I think I may have been influenced by the great scene in Hellboy 2, when Red and Abe get drunk on this beer, whine about women, and sing along to Barry Manilow. I used to love Barry Manilow, back when I was a teen. Why? Obviously, I wasn't very cool. I was into oldies and easy listening...not a rocker by a stretch. Maybe influenced by my girlfriend of the time. I was a sponge. Lord knows, I had no good music influences in my life at the time, that would come later.

Actually, I was a jazz guy in waiting. Loved anything that came close to it on the radio. Adored that Sonny Rollins sax solo on "Waiting on a Friend" by the Stone before I ever knew who he was...but I grew up in the suburbs! I took until senior year until I came close to knowing jazz. But, actually, Barry got me closer, can you believe it? In 1984, he made an album called 2 a.m. Paradise Cafe, with such luminaries as Sarah Vaughan, Mel Torme, Shelly Manne, and Gerry Mulligan. Of course, I had no idea who they were at the time, but it was a great record. A lyric by Johnny Mercer was given music by Manilow and turned into "When October Goes", which existed as a theme song in my sentimental heart for a while. I loved that record as a weird, nerdy 16 year old.

A few years later, I took that record to a Manilow signing at a Minneapolis record store, with my funk-loving best friend. We were the only males who weren't wearing store tags. Now, that I'm feeling nostalgic for that record, I'm going to have to have to start scouring the used LP shops of the Twin Cities...why did I ever sell my signed Barry Manilow album...the only really good record he ever made?

Oh, but about Tecate!

yellow. clear. foam, white, .... smelly.. .corn... ew! not good...
Taste: not much...no flavor...nope...blah! Yuh! Yick.
Pretty not much. Huh...I'm yearning to switch this for a real beer...ah, real beer...I just can't LIVE! Without You!

feloniousmonk, Jan 20, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +27.5%

Clear gold with a one finger white head which fades quickly. Some minor lacings. Aroma is mild corn, some copper.
Taste is plenty of sweet malts maybe some corn syrup, a touch of copper, and a decent amount of bitter euro style hops which save this from being overly sweet. Carbonation is just right and makes for an alright mouthfeel.
Drinkability is better than average mostly due to the 4.5% abv. Fairly refreshing when served cold. I think it would go well with spicey Mexican food.

Spikester, Dec 28, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +28.7%

I got this with a variety pack from World Market. I had this beer with a Thai dish and it actually was a very good match with it. It had decent appearance pouring yellow with a ok head that did stay around longer than i thought it would. This was not a great beer but it was good with the Thai dish.

likethetaste, Dec 11, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +12.7%

Out of the can:

Smells like ass, but the taste is okay. In the end, this is just another cheap Mexican beer. At least this one is actually cheap.

Out of the tap:

For some reason, this is far, far different and better. Pours clear gold with a decent white head. Moderate lacing. Sweet cornmeal, sugar, and the metal is replaced by grass. Smooth, sweet taste with actual grassy hops. Dry finish.

magictrokini, Dec 08, 2008
Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.