Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate

poor

poor

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,719 | Reviews: 557
2.37/5  rDev -5.6%

One finger snow white head, lace broken and little cling. Color is a 5 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell of wet corn, and malt. Taste is of corn, and malt. Much water feel in my mouth. This beer was given to me by a friend, and I doubt I would ever pay good money for another.

2.35/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz bottle poured into Pint Glass

A: Straw yellow about a fingers worth of head and dissipates to nothing with no lacing at all.

S: Grains, grass and some alcohol.

T: Very typical of most adjunct Mexican lages... Corny with a little sweetness and a touch of grass, just a slight bitterness. Not much here.

M: Light and watery, lively carbonation.

D: Low ABV and easy to drink by not much here, pretty average overall...

2.51/5  rDev 0%

Served in a glass without the traditional lime and salt. Have this reviewed with lime and salt on notes, which will be reflected in the comments but not the scores.

Yellow and crystal clear. Fairly good head but dissipates quickly and leaves some halfway decent lacing, but that doesn't last either. I expected more rising bubbles but there weren't many.

Smells slightly of skunked wheat. Can't say it's very appealing to the nose.

Tastes pretty good for the style. Slightly lemony with grainy malts and not much hops.

Really for the style it should have more carbonation. Other than that it's watery, dry, and slightly bitter in the aftertaste.

Drinks so-so to partly cloudy. Surely better than a typical BMC adjunct, but doesn't stand out other than "it's better than most Mexican style beers."

Served with lime and salt it's fine for Mexican food, but mostly the additions make it taste like salty limes.

3.32/5  rDev +32.3%

Definitely heavier than Corona. Although its mouth feel is quite acidic, meaning not much in the ways of Citric Acid put into the wort for this process (a good thing). Goes well with burgers and meats (whether processed or not is up to you)

Interesting session though! Cheers!!

3.54/5  rDev +41%

this was drank in a 32oz cuguama in a brown paper bag. this beer tops just about tops all other beers in its price range or genre. i usually prefer to keep it in a can or bottle just cus the look of it is kinda unappealing unless you get it on draft. the taste is a grainy corny taste with a slight lime citrus flavor and bite at the end the smell is about the same. its a great beer if your having some mexican food or maybe if your having company over well priced and not half bad.

side notes:growing up mexican in southern california ive drank this beer alot if you can get it in mexico its better, its probably best served ice cold and with some lime and salt and/or chilie powder. beware if you drink too many of these they can deal a hangover that can make you throw things up that you ate in high school.

1.9/5  rDev -24.3%

I kept seeing this on the shelf at the liquor store and didn't know what it was. Instead of looking it up, decided to pick it up to give it a try. Pours an almost clear pale yellow colour with fairly big white head that dissipates leaving almost half an inch. Some spotty lacing. Smells a bit off, vegetables and grains. Flavour is almost non-existent. I may as well be drinking carbonated water. I suppose the carbonation level is actually quite nice. Basically the beer is nice to look at and it has a nice mouthfeel, everything else about it is pretty bad.

1.69/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another can from the Clete's Mini-Tickfest

A: The pour is a golden color with a decent enough white head, but not all that much retention.

S: Just an awful aroma comes from the glass immediately. Lots of sweet corn, grass, and urine pretty much sums this one up.

T: A moderate level of sweetness from the corn, but there's also a burnt rice flavor which provides a bit of an interesting character. Overall, though, not pleasant.

M: The body is light and the carbonation is surprisingly not overdone.

D: This was always my least favorite of the Mexican lagers that I'd had and this can reminds me why. Just no good.

2.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Had this a few times.

A- Typical pale yellow

S- Metallic, corn, grainy

T- For its style, it isn't the worst I've had, although typical marco taste, some sweetness, but mostly adjuncts.

M- Very carbonated.

D- Since I've moved on to better beer, at the most I'd have to slam down this stuff when its really cold. Although its better than Budweiser, Coors, and Pabst.

2.48/5  rDev -1.2%

Found this can in the back of the fridge... hahaha - here goes!

A: Pours a translucent, ultra clear, straw gold with a white head that recedes fast but leaves some touches of lace; typical "macro lager" appearance - it is what it is.

S: Corn; sweet malts; metallic notes.

T: Pretty sweet stuff - again, corn is prevalent and there is some graininess; nothing exciting, for sure; hop presence is virtually negligible.

M: Thin, watery and highly carbonated; typical of the style, I suppose.

D: Although not the most impressive beer around, it'd make an OK (at best) beach beer; I wouldn't recommend it for any other occasion.

3.15/5  rDev +25.5%

Can poured into a pilsener glass.

A- A sloppy pour left a 3-finger, white head taht settles in to 1/2-finger before becoming more of a full film than a head. The body was a clean, straw-to-gold with moderate carbonation. Really fluffy rings are left on the glass.

S- It's initially bready and spicy, but that all gives way to a vegetal aroma pretty quickly. The vegetal notes are only increased with warmth.

T- It's a mix of bready/doughy malt and spicy hops, but things are muddled under the significant vegetal notes. Good things are in there, just trying to get out.

M- It's clean with moderate carbonation, which makes for a little prickle. It finishes clean and dry.

D- I could see drinking a bunch of these in a sitting. It's not too offensive on the vegetal side when nicely chilled. It doesn't really stand out against any of the macro-imports either. Rated to style, it's not half bad.

After the initial review, I went with the fresh lime squeezed/rubbed on the lip of the can and sprinkled with sea salt (ala Tony Bordain). It was really refreshing (though I can't give bonus points for a beer making a good cocktail). It went really well with tacos doused in habanero salsa.

3.27/5  rDev +30.3%

They serve this a lot in Rosarito Mexico which is the first place I ever had it. Now years later I still enjoy it from time to time as my go to pale yellow Mexican lager. It's not bad by any respect but certainly isn't gonna blow you away. It's pale yellow, fizzy and tastes like corn. Not offensive like some other Mexican brews, ahem (Corona) ahem. Good for washing down some beef jerky which is what I'm using it for right now, or a home cooked Mexican meal.

3.68/5  rDev +46.6%

Looks just like any industrial lager.
Carries the sweet smell of corn.
I love the sweet, cornish flavor. I'll drink this anyday in favor of the typical American Adjunct Lagers because I believe it has more flavor. I also think this beer is better than the other big Mexican brands that come to mind.
This beer is not just simply good, but very enjoyable as a light beer.

3.26/5  rDev +29.9%

A: Nice finger and a half of head slowly dissipating atop a pale yellow translucent beer. Lacing throughout.

S: Barely anything, corn some ethers.

T: Corn, thin malts, very very faint bite at the end.

M: Thin, medium-high carbonation.

D: Highly drinkinable, nothing more than a good easy to drink beer with spicy food, really no dimension.

2.3/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an almost clear golden straw color with cap of frothy head, gone quickly with no lacing. Scent is of musty grass, hint of mildew. Taste does not improve on the qualities of scent much, musty and grassy with no real hints of good ingredients. Light bodied, overly carbonated. A poor AA Lager.

2.99/5  rDev +19.1%

Got this in a built sixer from the local store, and drank it while mowing grass.

Not impressed appearance was very light, perhaps it was the lighting but there was a grayness to the yellow brew. The smell was slightly better, taste left me a little wanting more it's mild, too mild. the mouth feel had no snappy ending.

It is easy to drink though..

3.65/5  rDev +45.4%

I grew up drinking Tecate in my family so maybe that's why I think its not the worst beer out there. I like the taste of it when its nice and cold in a bottle and to make it way better add lime and salt. Plus its really not that expinsive to buy. Just give it a chance you'll end up liking it.

2.65/5  rDev +5.6%

Despite what rich said I cannot go on record as stating this is a good beer in any way. One of the mix I picked up yesterday I dropped this one into a pint glass and it was consumed on 08/24/2010.

The pour was a medium amber color with a crystal clear profile that allowed a good bit of carbonation to be seen streaming up through the bottom of the glass. Aroma is light with hints of bready grains, wet cardboard, a touch of caramel, maybe, but I am reaching now. Decent feel as the light body and moderate carbonation certainly do lend themselves to making it come across as quite session able, but I have to admit the taste just does not do it for me. Nothing leading the charge and just too light of a profile.

I guess with some spicy food or a hot day it would be doable, but for your average session I would pass. I will admit I do not think it should be in the bottom list, I have had much worse.

2.08/5  rDev -17.1%

Gotta eliminate these bastards from my fridge-space asap, so might as well try to enjoy it. Poured into a snifter, because hey, why not?

Firstly I must say it is rather liberating to allow myself a guilt-free ice-cold beer for once, this will certainly factor into rating somehow.

Pours a soapy, soulless piss color into the glass, which is surely thinking "Wtf are you pouring into me you ass?" Smells like corn and lemongrass... digested, or something. Hay and milk. Strangely this veers close to funk, but it is the 4am, wake up in the gutter and head in for a bowl of rice krispies sort of funk, or the James Brown drunk in TJ sort of funk, a distinctively arrhythmic funk variety.

Tastes like moldy lemon mush in corn syrup. Any bitterness is horribly disfigured by the malts, which infest the palate like a rotting tooth. Aside from all this there is no pressing urge to discontinue drinking, probably because it's hot outside and this beer is doing its best to put you on coed-covered beach in Mexico. Lacks the crisp finish of Miller HL. That's perhaps the greatest weakness here: Flat in taste, with zero range.

Pretty darn boring to say the least. Ice-cold Tecate is a useful utility in certain situations, but do yourself a favor: suck ice and leave this for the beezies. That is, the insect variety, they effing love this stuff. Trust me, your spring break experience will be much better for it.

2.7/5  rDev +7.6%

It pours a straw gold with a 2 finger head of foam and a cyclone of bubbles. The usual shrinkage of foam after the initial pour occurs.

The nose is no better than nor no worse than most of the style. Corn is prevalent with some sweet notes of malt and a nondescript bitterness.

The taste is better than the smell, surprisingly. Corn husk flavour is first but not too strong, light sweet notes, grain, and a bit of bitterness to mix things up. The finish is rather weak though but overall, it isn't a bad taster. Still, I'd drink PBR or Miller High Life over this any time.

Usual mouthfeel for the style and it's fairly drinkable and when I say that, I mean when it's good and cold. I don't want something like this to warm up...

1.88/5  rDev -25.1%

The smell put me off. It had a strange metallic, "beer burp" smell.

Aside from the aroma, the taste was not that bad simply because there was not that much flavor. When it comes to describing the taste I truly got nothing other than it tasted like a "beer," only more watery. The taste was not awful or average, it was "blah."

Honestly, I see no problem with fitting as many limes into the can as possible and coating the entire thing in beer salt.

This beer really did not invoke anything in my mind while I was drinking it. For its style, I think it takes up space. There are better, and cheaper, adjunct lagers out there.

I might have this again if it were free and I was in a hot and sweaty cantina w/ no ventilation. Nonetheless, Senior Tecate, I see no reason to converse with you anytime soon, not even over chips and salsa, adios.

2.14/5  rDev -14.7%

Its not worth the money.

I am into trying anything I can, so I tried this. Bought a Sixer from my local market. Poured it into a Sam Adams specialty glass. There is no taste. Where is the taste? Where did it go?

There is nothing there. It is easy to drink, because there is no taste, but I like to taste my beer.

I will never buy this stuff ever again. I would rather drink Corona.

3.03/5  rDev +20.7%

All I get on the nose is some cooked veggie smell...adjuncts. Almost plastic-like. Nothing to write home about for sure.

Taste is rather watery....and is dominated by the tastes that are found on the smell. Full of adjuncts....corn, cooked veggie....pretty pronounced too. Finish is pretty watery and bland. There's a little sweetness left over, and that's about it.

Let's face it, this beer won't be winning any awards any time soon. However, for a beer to quaff during the summer, it fits the bill.

2.67/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Straw yellow in appearance with a foamy head and an off white lacing.

S- Grains, wheat, some alcohol.

T- A typical adjunct lager taste, some bitterness to it, a hint of dryness. Not a lot of alcohol taste here, which is a positive.

M- Too irritating in my mouth, hence the presence of carbonation.

D- Average drinkability. I could see having a few of these at a time, likely why they are cheap and inexpensive.

2.15/5  rDev -14.3%

From the big ass 32oz bottle. Light pale straw color eviscerates any head left. No aroma outside of macroesque, but at least its not bad as others.

The usual mix of corn and other adjunct feel. Carbonation replaces hops. Extra water added instead of malt. I guess this beer has its place. . . where its 110 degrees. Better with salt and lime than Corona I guess. A degree of sweetness dominates, because there's nothing else to compete with.

Way too pricey for what it brings to the table.

2.94/5  rDev +17.1%

A- Appearance is pale golden. Sparkly carbonation going on.
S- Smell is overly metallic. I didn't pick much else up other than some corn.
T- The taste far exceeds the smell here. While most aren't big fans of corn in beer, in this case, it's not a terrible taste. Sweetness coming from corn with still a bit of metallic nature.
M- Dry with pretty crisp carb.
D- Not bad for an adjunct. Better than corona, i'd say. one must always remember to rate to the style, so while this beer may not be great, for an adjunct it's tolerable enough.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.