Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tecate Alström Bros
Reviews: 555 | Hads: 1,853
2.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I don't have too much to say about this weak lager. It tastes similar to other Mexican beers like Sol and Corona. There isn't too much to this beer. It's not the worst I've ever had, but it is definitely below average. Surprisingly this beer rates better among BAs than Pacifico, which I thought was a much superior beer. Oh well, to each their own. I won't be returning to this one.

2.42/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Tecate is a tricky beer, if you can get some made in the northern states of Mexico you´ll get a good beer. If you get some from middle or southern Mexico you´ll get something awful.

3.31/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Straw yellow in appearance. The head dissipates quickly. The aroma is light with a bit of a sour smell. Mild taste that's uneventful. Good mouthfeel with a dry finish. Overall, an average AAL. I think this would be more enjoyable on a hot day. FWIW, I reviewed this after pouring it into a glass, but I enjoyed it more drinking it straight from the can.

12 oz can
Code on bottom of can: 4244484FL1211
Served in a Pint glass

2.39/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Can sampled in Cabo San Lucas, where this seems to be a popular convenience store beer but rarely available at restaurants or bars. A very pale straw hue with anemic white foam and next to no aroma. I get a slight corn sweetness, minimal skunk or grain husk.

Taste is similarly bland and unassuming. Few of the rough edges found in its competitors but what's left over is ... Pretty hard to pin down. Might just be the most dull beer I've yet to sample. At least skunk tastes like something. There's a corn syrup sweetness and that's about all. Watery body that is oddly coupled with fairly mellow carbonation ... Usually thin beers are fizzy. If one really and truly focuses there's a grassy hop note. Shouldn't be this hard though. Far too sterile and stripped down, although some might rank it above its countrymen due to a lack of clear cut flaws. Its hard to criticize a performance when the performer takes no risks.

1.82/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there was no date on the bottle that I could find.

APPEARANCE: pours a light yellow color, mostly clear but there were suspended bits of something floating about, this is not appropriate for the style, there was a less than one-finger white head that dissipated almost completely in seconds, very lightly carbonated with a small amount of lacing.

SMELL: corn, it smells like corn.

TASTE: there is not much malt sweetness on the front end, it tastes like corn and barely has a hop presence at all.

PALATE: lightly carbonated, light body.

OVERALL: this is the worst beer I've ever had, NAFTA was clearly a BIG mistake, I have never given a rating this low, If I finished mowing the lawn and had to choose between bottled water and Tecate, I would just drink water.

3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

Better than Corona and Dos Equis and cheaper. I actually find it quite nice when it is ice cold with a lime. There are better lagers out there, but I'd give this a try. Personal opinion - try to find it in a can. These AAL's get skunky (and not in a good way) to me in bottles.

I first noticed Tecate in the movie Hellboy 2, of all places. Out of curiosity, I picked some up and tried it. Fairly tasty, but I thought it'd be stronger.

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle stamped 05264. Sampled on October 24, 2014. No lime wedge.

Pale yellow pour with big long lasting fizzy white head.

The aroma is of toasted biscuit and barley grain. A tiny almost invisible hop bite.

The body is light and refreshing.

The taste is also more malty than anything else akin to a German lager. A clean finish. There is nothing unique about it.

3.07/5  rDev +18.1%

Tecate! Tecate! Arriba!

Appearance (3.25) : Que Pasa! A fluffy white two fingered head that's actually pretty tight knit. It sits on top of a golden yellow body that I can almost read through. Cap recedes to a large ring after a minute or so. Lacing is virtually non-existent.

Aroma (3.25) : NON-skunked corn, barley, spice, fresh hop, and the bottle yields a little cooked peas. A clean, non-offensive aroma. Bouquet is medium strength.

Taste (3) : Refreshing, if a little corny. It's got a little hop flavor in there towards the end but it comes off as more of a bitter corn flavor. Otherwise it's mainly washed out corn flavor with a little barley. Pretty boring, actually. It's like a light beer with hop. There's not much in the flavor department here, even for a Mexican Lager.

Mouthfeel (2.75) : Light bodied all the way, and pretty carbonated.

Overall (3.07) : Not too impressed, and I liked Sol a lot better. Next time I reach for a Mexican Lager beer, I'll go for Sol or Modelo Especial. Those are my top two taco beers.

Haha I'm a bit of a beer snob but tecate....tecate and I go way back. This beer is the best cheap beer in the market. Tied up with PBR. Best party beer when you don't wanna break out the good stuff ;) rub a little lime, salt, and cayenne on the rim of the can and have a good time. Best when chasing tequilas.

APPEARANCE: Chill haze obscures an otherwise crystal clear, yellow beer. The head foamed up to about a finger before settling into a quarter-inch cap that slowly faded away as the beer sat during the typing of this paragraph. By now, it’s just a wispy, thin cap, but it still covers almost 100% of the surface area. Some lacing developed when the head fell, but not much else stuck.

SMELL: Once the head fades away there isn’t much to this, but while it was still intact a big corn smell overpowered anything else.

TASTE: Again, not much going on in the flavor here. A very sweet, corn-syrup-like taste is pretty much it. There is actually a tiny, tiny hint of hop flavor lurking in here somewhere, but it is tough to detect unless you’re specifically looking for it.

MOUTHFEEL: The body is light (although not as thin as I thought it would be) and the beer is sweet with a slightly drying finish.

OVERALL: This is not the most terrible beer in the world. It’s certainly not something I’ll pay for, but in a pinch, with no craft options, this could be an acceptable choice.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

tecate is my baseline beer. when pondering my ratings, i think "how much more do i like this than tecate?" or, conversely, "how much more would i prefer a tecate to this shit?" if i rate a beer lower than this, i feel it should generally be avoided because even the lowly tecate is a better choice.

3.25/5  rDev +25%

I first had this beer on a sailboat called "Hotel California" off the coast of Santa Barbara, California. It was all part of the experience, something new. I drank it so it couldn't have been too bad.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am no connoisseur but I really like this beer. I like a thicker mouth feel and this seems to be just right. I also don't like very bitter beer and this has only a hint of bitterness, enough to let me know it is beer but that's just about it. I find a depth to the flavor I don't know how to describe Carbonation is on the light side and I would have liked a little more. Like others mentioned, head is light, but that does not matter when you like to drink out of the bottle.

3.08/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From a can. I bought a suitcase at AM/PM as an emergency step when the kegerator ran dry of Mirror Pond.

Not as bad as you have been led to believe. This is the definitive Mexican macrobrew, and it's better than any American macro. Still, a little too much corn and maybe rice.

3.8/5  rDev +46.2%

Tecate brewed by Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V with an ABV of 4.5% This brew pours out amber color with a thick, white head. Tecate is a filtered brew; you can see right though it. This looks an American style lager. This brew smells like corn and grains. Nothing bad, but not good. I would say the smell is decent to this brew. The taste to this brew is real nice. It goes nice and smooth. This reminds minds me of an American style lager. There is nothing overpowering in this brew has a nice balance and taste. Mouthfeel is nice and clean and refreshing. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. This better than what I was expecting. They did a real nice job with this brew. I will buy this brew again.

3.19/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

In terms of MEXICAN beer, I think this is one of the better ones, along with Corona. It has a medium flavor background, in my opinion, and a good amount of bitterness, though not in an overpowering way. It's probably great with some yummy Mexican food and is perfect as an "everyday" sort of beer. Reasonably priced, too.

4.5/5  rDev +73.1%

Tecate. The Black Bird. Mexican!
I like this beer a lot. It's great to drink straight outta the can/bottle or adding some lime and/or salt to the rim. I love it with tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, chalupas, rice, nachos, beans, re-fried beans, tortillas and salsa, and so much more. It is a perfect beach beer. Cold from the cracked styrofoam cooler as you lounge with some hot babes and the suns in your eyes. Drink some Tecate and then go boogie boarding. You'll love it.

3.68/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass

A - Golden straw color. Big foamy head doesn't last long, but does leave some lacing.

S- grains and a touch of hops.

T - light breadiness and a pinch of hops. I would prefer a little more richness and less water, but still quite nice.

F - Light and some dryness.

O - Very refreshing and sessionable lager. Cheers!

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a clean, straw golden, with nice head of white. Virtually no lace in my Founders pint glass.

Nose says sweet corn and rice. Definitely an adjunct lager, both sweet and malty. Not offensive, just average.

Taste is watery but refreshing after a day of painting outdoors. A little tinge of hoppiness after the finish, but it's really barely there. Aftertaste is clean and not at all offensive.

Overall, a decent if unmemorable lager. Better than the big(ger) boys!

2.64/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a brown longneck into a shaker pint. A moderate pour produces a 1.5 inch billowy head that settles down to a thin sheen of lace. The beer is a pale golden with moderate carbonation.

No detectable hop aromas. Plenty of corn mash flavors-aromas, light malt, and with just a kiss of hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Slick oily mouthfeel.

Purchased as part of a variety 12 pack of Mexican beers. This beer is only a little better than the previous one (Sol), and is probably also a little better than a Corona (faint praise, indeed). I was looking for something a little lighter, and I've certainly enjoyed some Mexican beers in the past, but these are terribly bland. I suspect that they are intended to be spruced up with some salt, hot sauce, lime and/or tomato.

3.52/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Excellent medium Mexican beer that hits that pitch between light and heavy with a look that says the same. Good choice to have with a Mexican dinner, barbeque meal pairing or alone with a springtime/fall appeal for me. Light fragrance, agreeable, only a slight bite.

2.02/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Clear pale golden body with a thin white head and little if any head retention.
S: Nose of grass and fruity light malt. Actually not very aromatic.
T: Grassy, cereal and citrus flavors. Quite watery and thin.
M: Watery, thin and not very flavorful.
O: Not much nose. Not much flavor. Typical Mexibeer.

3.11/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Can at 45 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of malt and vinegar
Head average (5 cm), white, creamy with rocks, mostly diminishing to 3 mm layer
Lacing fair; small, irregular islands of tiny bubbles
Body light yellow, clear
Flavor is slightly sour with light malts; no alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl; ends quickly with no aftertaste
Palate is light, watery, lively carbonation

Many years ago, before I discovered the joys of craft beers, I used to drink Tecate (and Busch, but that’s another story) and really enjoyed it. When I drank this can, I was unpleasantly surprised by the lack of flavor and body – I remember this as a darker, chewier beer. Either the beer or my taste have radically changed, maybe both.

3.23/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Medium fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Clear golden body with moderate carbonation. Looks pretty good for the style.

Corn and barley malt. But not harsh or off-putting.

Corn and barley malt. Slight hop bitterness. The corn hits you first, but it is soon overtaken by a decent barley flavor. Hops are mild and there for balance. This is one of the few beers where I clearly taste corn but am surprised to find that the taste is actually good. This beer has a good corn flavor. Barley malt balances the corn out nicely.

Medium bodied. Pretty good.

This is a good beer at a good value. Tecate is a corn adjunct lager that blends the corn flavor with barley malt flavor in a unique and satisfying way.

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.