Tecate - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tecate Alström Bros
Reviews: 551 | Hads: 1,827
2.63/5  rDev +1.2%

Ice cold 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Straw color with a fleeting head.

S - Picked up some adjuncts with no malt or hops

T - Corn, grains and some hops.

M - Adequate carbonation, very neutral finish.

O - There are far better choices if you want a Mexican beer. This one is like drinking an AAL.

1.59/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Tecate pours out a clear golden content with a small white head, hardly worth mentioning.
The aroma is quite weak, just some malty smell and some minimal grains.
The taste is similarly non-distinctive. Slightly sweet, watery, with a very weak bitterness in the finish. A bit of a disappointmnet, really.

2.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. can poured into a Duvel tulip glass with no freshness date consumed on Red Wednesday, 2013.

A- Transparent, dull, golden pour with a moderate white head that quickly fizzles to a thin, which hangs for a while and then nothing, nothing, nothing – nothing at all. Not much visible carbonation.

S- Clean malt, cooked corn, and fermented vegetal aromas. If I try really hard I can barely detect a bit of Hops spice.

T- The taste easily shows up the aroma. It starts with a very subtle, clean, and slightly sweet malt flavor that is thankfully very far from cloying. Than a very noticeable hops spice, and bitterness kicks in and lasts through the finish. I'm also getting some weird herbal, soapy notes that almost remind me of cilantro. Maybe this beer would go well with Mexican food.

M- On the lighter bodied side, but not the lightest American adjunct lager out there. Nice and crisp too, which is a plus. Low carbonation.

O- Somehow this Tecate tastes better than any I've ever had before. I had many, and always enjoyed Tecate for what it is – a great, cheap, beach beer.

2.33/5  rDev -10.4%

Served from a cold can into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear dark golden color, few effervescent bubbles floating to top and virtually no head or retention time to speak of.

Smell - Nothing really, maybe a few corn adjuncts and slight metallicness. Nothing terribly awful here.

Taste - The taste is of virtually nothing, Again a few metallic flavors and adjuncts especially corn are present. Not terrible but only really quaffable on a hot summer day or after intense labor.

Mouthfeel - OK Carbonation, and smooth going down. Slightly dry finish, but this is the best part of the beer.

Overall - Definitely not a favorite as far as Mexican AAL's go, it's passable.

3.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Overall, this beer is the best Mexican Lager I've had. It is slightly over carbonated, and has a slightly medicinal, alcohol nose, until the hops make an appearance, and when they do, it's not disappointing. Hops have a definite hint of the noble varietals to them.
T: Malty, alcohol, and clean hop presence. I would not buy this regularly, but it beats a Bud, or any other Mexican Lager.

2.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tasted On: 11-23-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: 12-pack from Kroger

A: Clear and straw-colored; the small white head fades quickly and only leaves a touch of lacing.

S: Aromas are not strong, and have some hay/grassy hops plus light biscuit malt.

T: Taste has a semi-sweet malty flavor with just a little bitterness and hop character.

M: Carbonation is high on a light body. The finish is just like the taste; lightly sweet malts with just a hint of hops.

O: Overall an easy-drinking and unoffensive beer that underwhelms.

3.01/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tecate beer is part of the family's reunions over in México. so I cant be a little snob and choose what type of beer I want. Either you man up and drink it or go watch the kids and help out in the kitchen. Anyways, this beer has grown on me. although I prefer it from the bottle we mostly get in cans. its a strong bodied full flavor beer that will get you felling good within 2.

2.94/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

This is just another cheap beer like Budweiser or Coors.
It's not worthy of a break down.
Simply put, the beer is a beer pong beer. Something you don't mind spilling or wasting accidentally and things of that nature. The ABV is so low it takes me 10-12 to feel buzzed.

1.49/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

It one of the worse beer ever tasted ! I am easy to please in drinking beer department but this beer did not please me !

Appearance. Light frothy head with brown color to it..

Smell : it worse smelling beer I have ever smelled

Taste : It very chemically to it. It has some grains but overall all chemical and not bitterness too it
Mouthul. It is light to medium carbonation

Overal : This beer is not good. I take a Corona and Pacifico before this beer even a natural ice and icehouse.

2.92/5  rDev +12.3%

This pours a bit darker than your run of the mill adjunct lager. The head was high and fluffy on a bed of thick carbonation.

The scent was more grainy than I expected with some barley tones and a hop characteristic. Typically in the adjuncts the scent is all corn but this tended towards the barley.

The flavor is more towards the grain as well as I catch hints of barley malt, biscuity caramel malts and then a corny adjunct finish.

The feel is a bit less refreshing then other Mexican adjuncts but the flavors and scent are better so I feel it makes it better than so many others.

2.83/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A gentle pour yields a yellow body typical of macro adjunct lagers. This one appears a bit lighter than the Model Especial which which I'm comparing it. The head appears and disappears quickly. Carbonation is more aggressive than that in the Modelo.

The nose is fainter than that of Modelo Especial's. Tecate's malt characteristics are similar: sweet corn and not much else. However, unlike its cousin, Tecate does, on repeated, focused sniffs, offer some faint, noble-type hop aromas.

The taste more or less follows the nose. There's nothing here to be surprised about. Sweet corn up front. Faint, musky hops on the backend. After repeated sips, I'm forced to conclude that this beer is hoppier than most macros, but also less complex (insofar as any macro lager can be!) Modelo Especial.

The body of this beer isn't bad. It's full enough to feel substantial, but doesn't sacrifice lightness, a quality that I look for in lagers and pilseners. A swish around the palate produces a nice foam that is mostly soft with a little bite. Very nice. In fact, that's the kind of mouthfeel that would be excellent complementing a crisp, flavorful, well-balanced lager. Tecate isn't any of these three things. What a shame.

In the final analysis, despite Modelo Especial's slightly more complex flavor profile, I might still choose a Tecate over a Modelo Especial. I'm a fan of crisp lagers and mild hop flavors, and, despite feeling somewhat watery towards the end, Tecate delivered in those two departments more than Modelo Especial did.

3.35/5  rDev +28.8%

A fairly good Mexican Macro Lager,with a Bit more Flavor then Most other Mexican Adjunct Lagers,I have always Liked a lot of Mexican Lagers because of their smoothness,they may not have tons of flavor,and can taste a Bit watered down @ times,but Generaly speaking,I will pick a Mexican Macro Lager Over an American Macro Lager any day of the week,Tecate may not be a Great beer,but for it's style,it is a "Good" Beer,and it is Priced right too, a 12ver cost about 10 Bucks,so it is much Cheaper then Sol or Corona,and as far as Flavor goes,Tecate has em both beat hands down,it may not be quite as Smooth as Sol or Corona,but trust me,Tecate still slides down super Fast!~
Tecate pretty much looks like most other Macro Lagers when poured,a straw yellow to semi golden color,pretty light looking,as with most Macro lagers,Not much Head to speak of,but what there is of it is fluffy white~
the aroma is pretty standard also,Grainy,Grassy,a little malty,nothing special.
where Tecate really stands out over most other Mexican OR American Mass produced Macro lagers,is it's Taste,you get the standard Grainy,light Malty flavor,but you also get a Little Hops in the Finish,overall,I enjoy this Beer quite a Bit.
I love my Craft Beers,and have no problem Paying for Quality Beer,I really enjoy a well Crafted beer with tons of Flavor,a Rocky head that last the whole beer,world class Lacing,Drinking Fine quality beer can be a wonderful Experience to say the least,But when you just want an Ice cold Beer on a Hot day,Tecate is a really nice choice,it is also a fantastic beer to take to a BBQ,Because you know damn well there will more than Likley be nothing besides light beer in all those coolers..yuck!hehe;)
Cheers & Peace2All.

2.03/5  rDev -21.9%

12oz can in an imperial pint glass.

A- Well, it made an appearance, as least. It poured little head, no lacing, minimal carbonation, and flattened rapidly. The color was a bit darker than the garden variety AAL, that's about it.

S- Horribly medicinal, like when I was a kid before artificial flavoring was added to liquid meds.
There's some hint of that gassy smell from boiled veggies also.

T- Medicinal again, and metallic. The nearest taste that I detected that I could associate with beer would be notes of wet grain.

M- Uncomfortable.

O- There's no upside to this brew, and adding lime would be wasteful. I try to be open minded to this style (I like Corona and Landshark, for example); Tecate, however, is quite poor to me.

2.29/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured into a becker glass

A: A golden straw color with little carbonation. It keeps a decent lacing around the glass.

S: Alright, I don't normally give a 1 in this category but holy hell does this reek. I don't know if it's because the beer wasn't fresh or if this is just how the beer smells but god does it stink. It has a corny smell and a cooked veggies smell. When I swirled it around and sniffed it smelled like when you leave baked broccoli covered and then after several hours you remove the cover. it's almost as if the beer was passing gas in my face or something.

T: The taste is thankfully not as horrible as the smell. It is overall sweet with a sweet corn flavor that sticks around long after you finish drinking. It tastes like if you just baked some corn and then took a bite. I also detected a tiny bit of malt but it was very faint. No hops were detected.

MF: Watery and even a little creamy. Leaves the mouth lubricated and goes down smooth.

O: I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The smell is horrible but the taste isn't as bad. Still, the flavor is full of adjunct and there is no detectable quality ingredients. I would only have this if it was this or Budweiser or Bud Light.

Surprising I actually enjoyed this beer and it was sold at a good price. The labeling is a little odd with the red & gold with eagle-wings logo, surely it stands out, but also makes me feel out of place.

They recommend this beer be served cold, but I can confirm it holds up well in the warm humid climates such as Florida.

The appearance is a pale golden lager with lots of carbonation and a white lace.

The smell is a light floral hops and faint grain aroma.

The taste is very smooth with a sugary sweet malted barley. Aided with the traditional condiments found at the beach, I find that lime and salt actually improves the flavor you would typically find complimented with a classic Corona.

With all of that said however, this beer will probably not win any awards at beeradvocate because it lacks any qualities or features that distinguishes itself from the average light lager.

2.37/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours clear as water, with only a very light golden color to the body. Medium, 2 finger head forms but doesn't stick around very long. No lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Light with lots of grainy flavors on the nose. Absolutely no hops bitterness is detectable. Not a whole lot in the scent of this one, maybe the lightest of malts mixed in with the light grain flavors.

T- More malty then grainy, unlike the scent. Somewhat of a dull, light bitterness throughout the drink from the malts. Some of the lighter, grassy notes come out midway through the drink. Ends in a rather forgettable manner, with little lingering flavors, yet no quick crispness.

M- Light and actually low in carbonation for the style. This is a beer to slam all day long until you can no longer taste it.

Overall, just your typical Mexican light beer, yet worse. At least they give you a lime with a Corona and Dos Equis has some darker malts to compensate.

2.99/5  rDev +15%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Review as I drink. Really disappointed to find out this is an adjunct, not a vienna lager. Oh well.

app- darker yellow. Golden, almost. Looks almost as bubbly as champagne. Head pours bright white and disappears in seconds. Sound familiar?

sml- Grainy, corn smell is prominent, as is some weak malt. Grassy, I suppose would be a word to describe it. No hop, of course.

tst- Sharp but inoffensive hops kick the back end. Up front is the malt and grain sweetness. The rest is water. It's actually a decent flavor for what it is.

mf- Watery, light, flaccid.

Could I drink this? I think so. I might even be okay with it. But I wouldn't stock it in my house. It's just too weak, too scared to be a beer. That's why I dislike adjuncts and even some lighter lagers. Actually, a pure lager would be a godsend right about now. Bitterness is there and is kind of impressive. I think I admire it, I just don't like it.

1.41/5  rDev -45.8%

It was on special for a $1... Had to try it.

It's your typical Mexican beer... Light and only drinkable in a Mexican all inclusive resort at the pool side bar. With that said, since I walked into a bar in Arrlington, VA and was offered it for $1.00, I had to at least try it :)

1.26/5  rDev -51.5%

Pale yellow color with a two finger head with low retention. Light unpleasant corn aroma, and booze with metalic notes.
Likewise, sweet corn taste, lots of cardboard and butter. Dry aftertaste.
Light body with low carbonation.
Below average adjunct lager, sweeter, more use of corn, high on off-flavors and less crispy given lack of hops and low carbonation. Stay away, hard to get worse.

2.07/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz can at fridge temp poured into a pint glass.

Clear straw yellow color, actually holds a decent thin layer of white head with some decent lacing.

Sweet corny grains, almost skunky? Sour?

Creamy Corny grain, hose water, hint of mineral water.

Slightly prickly high carbonation, watery thin mouthfeel.

I just had 3 Mexican adjunct lagers and they all tasted almost exactly alike, only saddle differences. These were even worse than the American versions. I would definatly avoid both at all costs! Don't waste your money even if you are in Mexico.

2.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow/gold with barely a finger's worth of head and almost no lacing at all.

Smell: Hardly any smell at all. Very light whiff of corn and somewhat sour grain.

Taste: First impression was like I was drinking club soda. The aftertaste is what reminded me that I was drinking beer. Again, corn, malt, and that's really it.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery, below average amount of carbonation.

Overall: It's a cheap way to get drunk with a group of friends or wash down some barbeque or party food. Not something I'd drink if I'm trying to savor the beer.

3.49/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't expecting much from this beer, but boy, was I surprised at how much I liked it.

At first, pouring it out of the bottle is none too impressive. It has an adverse yellow look although it does create a fluffy white head with some lacing down the pint glass. The smell also we your average hoppy scent. Now for the interesting part - for pouring such a head the beer had very little carbonation feel in the mouth. It also had very little after taste, where I expected quite a bit. Speaking of taste. I enjoyed it immensely. Plenty of barley, a nice mix of malt (which these Mex beers specialize at, it seems to me), and just an overall taste that left me wanting for more.

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: A pale gold body that boasts some lacing as a finger of head sticks around well enough.

Smell: There is a grainy smell to it that is for sure, and a touch a sandy hops. Warming didn't help it's case either way.

Taste: It's a pretty generic lager to be honest, as subdued malt gives way to a stronger straw and surprisingly unsweet corn, which is rounded off by sandy tasting hops.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation isn't pulling it's weight here, as the beer tastes a bit too watery for my liking. The sandy taste also accentuated itself more and more as the beer went on to my dismay.

Drinkability: Well, I will say this, if it was sweltering outside, I'd grab this stuff fairly quickly. It's incredibly light, and while I wouldn't say it's the easiest drinker, it certainly has more character then other adjuncts.

Final Thoughts: It might not be a fair comparison but this stuff to me is Corona done right. Make no mistake, an award winning beer it is not, and I'm honestly a bit perplexed at how they managed to give the hops that sandy accent, but all in all you could do worse.

1.77/5  rDev -31.9%

I've never had Tecate, so here's my first thoughts from a 24 oz can.

A- Poured into a glass mug. A little darker yellow than most BMC beers. Good amount of head but then fizzles away quickly to a ring around the glass.

S- A sharp corny/hop smell. Sour.

T- Grassy, crispy hops. Some corn comes through. Metal taste. Slight malt at the end. Bitter, not much sweetness in this beer. Reminds me of Miller High Life.

M- Semi-light. Slick on the tongue. It leaves a slippery feeling in the mouth. Lots of carbonation.

Drinkability is so-so. Seems like a chore to drink at times.

O- Overall, it's a below average beer. The smell and taste gave me a headache, not sure why. Other people might like it better.

2.81/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Have I seriously never had Tecate before? Hm. Time to fix that: This stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a relatively short-lived finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild corn, light white bread, and hard water. The taste brings in more of the same, with more hard water and a touch of toasted cornmeal. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a limp little beer, but one that avoids becoming entirely offensive.

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.