Special Vintage 2000 - Hahn Brewing Co. Pty. Ltd.

Special Vintage 2000Special Vintage 2000

Hahn Brewing Co. Pty. Ltd. visit their website
Australia

Belgian Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 12-19-2004)
Reviews by Hex92:
3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Looks like I held onto this beer much longer than anyone else....Although I guess time will tell if someone else comes along to review it at a later date. Its 3/14/2010 and this is a bottle #2485.

Pours with a reddish brown color small head that disappeared quickly. No lacing on the glass. Most of the carbonation seems to have left the bottle after all these years, but it still has a great malty flavor. I really had to work at the cork to get it out of the bottle, but still the bubbles are almost all gone.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but the flavor is still very nice. I wish I had reviewed this beer the first time I drank it so I could compare it to how it tastes now....but I didn't.

Belgian Dark ales are my favorite style, so I love the flavor. Still representative of the style. I doubt you could find one of these for sale, but if you still have one in your collection it might be time to drink it do to the diminished carbonation.

I'm glad I held onto it and given the buzz I have after drinking it, I'm guessing the extra years increased the alcohol content a couple of notches.

Hex92, Mar 15, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours with a light tan head over deep ruby/brown liquid. Vinuous nose with a sweet malt base. The taste is aged maltiness, faded hops, slightly dry and acidic. Some cherry notes, musty and light prune. The finish is dry, fruity and obviously a bit past prime condition, yet still drinkable.

beerluvr, Jan 14, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +14%

This beer was part of m.jackson's beer club intoductory sampler. I had never heard of this brewery and it may be for good reason judging by their website and beers reviewed. Nice pop off the champagne cork and pour - dark brown and a nice tan/amber head. I think the best way to describe this beer is like a good imitation of Chimay Blue. Rich, creamy with yeast, malt, raisin and some tart sour Belgian dark ale flavors. The label said this was the second in the series but I see no one in the BA world has tried it.

lou91, Dec 19, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up online for just $20 a couple of months back...loved it...loved it...

I read it was a cross between Chimay Red & a Musket Liquor - Reckon the review was pretty spot on...

Creamy, dark fruity, fortified, sweet, & a nice punch for a cold winters night...

Maybe a touch watery in mouthfeel towards the end...but thoroughly enjoyed & consider myself very fortunate to pick this up at the bargain basement price...

WOULD LOVE TO TRY AGAIN

WHROO, Jun 16, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Tawny brown with a decent biege head and nice active carbonation. Soft fruit aromas (raisins and prunes) with some vanilla character noticeable. Similarly soft in flavor with no alcohol noticeable. Medium-light bodied and a bit airy which is not unexpected.

A simple but very nice easy drinking Champagne Beer -- I have one more for New Years so will be reviewing again along w/ a few other Champagne Beers so will likely have updates to the above.

Per Label: "Fermented w/ Ale and Lager yeasts then bottle conditioned for 3 years with a sparkling wine yeast"

Per Rare Beer Club notes:
Grist: 54% pale malt, 16% dark crystal malt, 30% sugar. Willamette hops. Dried orange peel added at end of boil.
50% ale and 50% lager yeasts, one week; Centrifuged, pasteurized, and transferred to winery facility for bottling; sugar dosage and wine yeast added.
8.12% abv; OG: 18P; Color: 114 EBC; 30 IBUs

Bottle No.: 4592 (Bottled Nov. 2000)
Tasted: 11/21/06

(750 ml tall green champagne style bottle, corked, and caged)

RBorsato, Dec 26, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

9 December 2005

Reddy brown colour, light brown small head, some lacing and black murky yeast left at the bottom. A whiff of alcohol is present in the aroma and some toffee and caramel flavours. Almost a whisky taste, also red wine, a fair amount of alcohol noticeable, some dried fruit (prunes?) and a little toffee. Biscuity mouthfeel. Found this rather alcoholic and difficult to drink. Probably much better five years ago, as others have suggested. Still, I'm glad I got to try it.

ohitsbrad, Dec 19, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

I wretch at the thought of reliving this experience through this evening's notes.

Decent enough appearance -- a dark russet brown with a moderate tan head topping it off. But the nose is dominated by alcohol, which overruns the fairly one-dimensional raisin/prune aromas. As it warms, there might be a hint of spiciness in the background -- but it's minor.

Fairly smooth, it would certainly find a home in my stomach -- if it weren't so dreadfully awful tasting. Smokey dark malts dominate and help produce this repulsive astringency. Adding to the "complexity" of this beer that a "connessieur" is supposed to enjoy is the vague impression of grilled citrus. Now, I've never thought to grill a lemon. But there's a bit of citric flavor to this, but with the darker flavors, it comes out a muddled mess. My wife dumped her glass, and I'm not sure that's ever happened but perhaps once before.

marburg, Jan 05, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

I have finally elected to uncork this rare bottle in celebration of today's big news... Michael Jackson's Lifetime Achievement Award from the British Guild of Beer Writers.

This is the selection that kicked off the Rare Beer Club, a bottle I've had in the fridge for five full years. So Michael, this one's for you. Congratulations.

Served in a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature. Bottle #055090.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear burgundian red, which supports an inch-thick head on a rough pour. As the minutes pass, the crown reduces to barely a thin film and finally just a halo. Nice color and clarity though.

Smell- Dark, complex fruit and malt integration with just a hint of alcohol. Definitely a port-like nose, possibly due to the sparkling wine yeasts that were used. Old leather, wet shoes, English Stilton cheese lurks in the background, lending some insight from years spent fermenting in the bottle. Quite different and distinctive.

Taste- A medley of plummy maltiness mixed with a mildly sour, yeasty finish that ends semi-dry. Big, fermented fruit through the middle that has stood the test of time nicely... a mellow bitterness adorns the back and sides of the tongue between sips.

Mouthfeel- Quick and a little too smooth... it's gone before I have the chance to comment on its character. Interesting indeed, but not to its credit. It is a phantom mouthfeel. Whoooosh!!

Drinkabilty- Well, there is no doubt that this beer has been retired and I will never again have the opportunity to sample it again. That is okay, because that is the point anyway. Chuck Hahn created this beer for Michael and a select group of beer aficianados... myself proudly included. Although not an outstanding beer in my opinion, it represents a brewer's desire to create a special offering for a discerning audience.

Five years later, and a finding a worthwhile reason to drink this important beer, I say "thank you" again and "congratulations" to the one and only Michael Jackson... may you enjoy many more years of fulfillment in your endeavors.

yelterdow, Dec 09, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

t0rin0, Oct 10, 2012
Special Vintage 2000 from Hahn Brewing Co. Pty. Ltd.
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.