Foster's Premium Ale - Foster's Group Limited

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hustlesworth on 06-08-2008

Ratings: 411 | Reviews: 194
3.63/5  rDev +28.7%

Good Beer usually a little pricey but tastes good and gives a nice buzz.

2.91/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 24.5 ounce "oil can" into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date 11-9-15.

APPEARANCE: Pours a clear copper color with one-finger off-white head, good retention, slowly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of bubbles remained, medium carbonation, there is almost no lacing on the glass. ***NOTE: the can states "ALE WITH CARAMEL COLOR ADDED"***

SMELL: sweet caramel, bread and adjunct grains

TASTE: initially sweet caramel and bread then a hop bite that is somewhat subdued for the style, there is the taste of some adjunct grains present.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: this is not a bad beer but, for the style it was not bitter enough and the adjunct grains do not work with this style, I'm guessing the caramel color was added because adjunct grains make a beer pale, I will not seek this one out again.

1.52/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Very week and watered down. Prefer BMC

4.54/5  rDev +61%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow - the range of the reviews on this is interesting.

I find this to be a very good beer. Beautiful look. Pleasant smell, very good taste and feel. And, at least in my area, it is sold at a very reasonable price.

Are some of you using your mouth and nose, or using your eyes to concentrate on the name on the can?

3.01/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Oil can purchased at the Mobil up the road.
Dark golden bordering on amber with a dense rocky white head that shows moderate retention. Sweet bready biscuity flavor and aroma with a hint of earthy hops. Light toffee and mineral water flavor round this out. Pretty plain not horiibly complex but straightforward and somewhat crushable.

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: Pours brilliant copper amber under a 1.5” sudsy white foam cap.
S: Not a very big nose. Fairly clean, some light grain, not very estery.
T: A somewhat dull palate with a light sweetness and traces of light fruit, a hint of citrus and large pitted fruit. A moderate bitterness.
F: Medium body and medium carbonation.
O: A beer with very little to recommend it.

1.2/5  rDev -57.4%

Just plain bad, that's all.

2.53/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Jumbo 25.4-ounce can picked up at the local Food Lion earlier tonight. What I'm guessing is a best-by date on the bottom reads "SEP2815," or September 28th, 2015.

When poured into a glass, has an orangey light-brown color reminiscent of a Yuengling Lager but with a nicer head of foam on top (though this foam does fade away rather rapidly once the shrinking starts -- half an hour after pouring, as the first glass empties out, there are only faint traces of it in a few spots on the surface.) Seems to be pretty clear. Little or no bubble activity from the bottom of the glass as far as I can tell, but the color and head are pretty nice. Can is pretty unique in size and general appearance but really lacking in information -- all I know from reading the label is the ABV, volume, Australian-ness, and that it's an ale rather than a lager. Literally no idea what to expect going into this one.

Smell is... pretty unpleasant right away. The same "hair salon" sort of weird chemical smell that I pick up from Yuengling Lager sometimes is present, along with a tiny bit of an almost sulfury smell. Beyond that there's also some sweetness and graininess. The smell becomes a lot weaker once the foam on top fades; the hair-salon funkiness still hangs around just a bit, though the sulfur vanishes. Probably the worst-smelling beer I've had so far, all things considered, though it does improve a bit after the initial offensive burst of hair-salon chemicals and sulfur (I almost want to describe it as "farty Yuengling"...) has petered out. Also, the second glass poured from the can doesn't have as much of that initial blast of smell -- what's there is still a bit funky, but better than on the initial pour.

Taste is better than the smell -- the grain and sweetness are the primary flavors -- but there's still something about it that just seems "off" in a really odd way. That "hair salon" chemical smell comes through in the flavor of the beer too, which is really bizarre considering that I didn't taste anything like that in any of the other beers I've picked up that smell in. The hair-salon thing and sweetness are strong in the initial aftertaste, but the aftertaste that lingers afterward is actually somewhat pleasant to me -- sort of reminds me of the taste in my mouth after eating bread, particularly white bread, when the starchiness of the bread has already partially been transformed to sweetness but it still has that "bready" quality to it. I think I may be getting just the tiniest traces of a leafy/herbal hop bitterness in the aftertaste, too -- though I'm not noticing this until 3/4 of the way through the 25 ounces contained in the big can. While a step up from the smell and feel, the flavor is still definitely not this beer's strong point.

Speaking of the feel -- this beer feels unusually thin for something of its color and ABV. Not quite to the extent of being watery, but uncomfortably close. I do notice that the feel is a bit nicer when you drink while more of the foam is still present -- but unfortunately this also makes that "hair salon chemical" taste and smell much more noticeable, to an extent where the improvement in mouthfeel really isn't worth it. Overall, another miss here -- a beer this color, with 5.5% ABV, should not feel as light as (or even lighter than) a Tecate. It's just bizarre.

Overall... this may just be my least-favorite out of the beers I've tried so far. I certainly won't be buying it again, though I suppose I'd be able to drink half a can or so if I was offered one for free. It *looks* pretty nice, but it's all downhill from there, as the smell, taste, and feel (...also known as "the important parts") all come with a variety of unpleasant features. If this tasted as good as it looked, I'd have a nice ale alternative to the 24-ounce Yuengling Lager mega-cans -- as is, though, I would not recommend this beer, despite how affordable it is. I'm about halfway through my second glass now, and I'm thinking I may just pour what's left down the drain rather than finishing it, which is not something I usually do!

Foster's lager is a better

4.91/5  rDev +74.1%

Out of all the other few beers i've had, foster's premium ale is the better of the group. goes down like water and tastes really good. If anything, my main issue is the price. Its' really expensive in my area.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Strong and unpleasant aftertaste. For the price and amount, it could be worse.

3.51/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

not bad, just as good as a lot of others................reviewed

4.03/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Quick review. I rate this much higher than what looks to be the norm on here. Nice crisp carbonation, mellow maltiness & a nice hop punch.

2.24/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Deep amber(15) and thin white head. Smells funky. Slightly eatery, otherwise very little taste. Lite mouthfeel. Not much to say...

3.52/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is not THAT bad.

Foster's Premium Ale brewed by Foster's Group Limited, with an ABV of 5.50% This brew pours out a deep amber color with a nice white head. I like the color of this brew. The smell is rich with grains , malts, and sweetness. You pick up on a hit of hops at the end. Now for the taste it is bold, but rich with flavor. Foster's Premium Ale, has a nice sweetness to it. There is a lot going on in this brew. I think this is one of the better Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB). Foster's Group Limited did a nice job with this one. There is nothing overpowering in Foster's Premium Ale. This brew has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is nice rich and bold. I like how this brew goes down smooth. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.53/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

"Justify rating with a review."

2.25/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Ehh. More like motor oil than beer. Looks great in a glass, though.

3.39/5  rDev +20.2%

I actually am enjoying this beer. It poured a nice Amber color with a thick head that left lacing in the glass. The smell was average and the taste was better than average in my opinion. I tasted a little dirty grain hiding behind the malt and hops. Other than that, I'd gladly drink a few of these at the beach!

1.25/5  rDev -55.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours rather awkwardly from the "oil can" into a pint glass. Big billowing head several fingers thick that gradually fades to a thin lace. The kind of head you see with a malt liquor. Perfect macro filtered clarity and beautiful amber color is presented. Then I check the can and I see the words "Ale With Caramel Color Added." Are you kidding me?

Smells like ass. Metallic ass. And blood.
Taste follows the smell. So yeah it tastes like ass. Metallic husky grains and an unpleasant lingering bitterness. Like a bitter, dirty lemon peel. Way too carbonated, prickly mouthfeel. Bites like a malt liquor. I'd say this is closer to a malt liquor than an ESB. A very poor malt liquor at that.

I honestly didn't expect this to be even worse than the lager. Utterly putrid macro swill. Fosters, Australian for ass.

2.68/5  rDev -5%

Sampled from 25.4 oz can in pint glass.

Appearance: pours a thick, sudsy off white head that drops slowly. Color is a clear amber with abundant carbonation.
Aroma: mild with bread being dominate, some caramel and a bit of earthy/floral hops.
Mouthfeel: medium and slick with a somewhat dry finish.
Flavor: bready malts dominate, some caramel sweetness with a definite hop presence.
Overall: decent, but certainly not outstanding.

3.14/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Caramel colored is added to this beer, and that is exactly the color. Head was very large and frothy, but died to nothing.

S- Very odd. Spicy, bitter hops. Weird yest notes. Has light roasted barley malt and caramel scent. Somewhat bready.

T- First thing that hit me was the bitterness. I'm going to assume the "Pride of Ringwood" hops are used here. That's what's used in Foster's Lager. There is a very noticeable graininess here as well. It also has a light fruitiness to it and a strange bready, yeasty character. Caramel/toffee is there, but nothing is as bold in the flavor as the bitterness and yeast character.
*I must admit, the flavor improves as it warms. Less weird yeast, and little more rounded in the flavors.

M- This is where the beer shines. It's straight up medium in body. It nothing like Foster's Lager. It's got a nice heft to it. It's crsip as hell and the drinkabilty is the same.

Overall, this isn't anything bad. I'd rather drink a pale lager or some of the malt liquors out there than this. It is 5.5%, so it'll get the job done after 3 cans. But, I think some lagers and malt liquors have more consistency throughout a can/bottle. This one just had the weirdest bitter, grainy, yeasty flavor. It got better as it warmed, but I'd just rather drink the Foster's Lager. Foster's Premium Ale gets a 79/100 for me. It's not terrible.

3.13/5  rDev +11%

From an "oil can" dated June 2015.

Aroma is a bit funky and grainy. Pour is nice clear light Amber with a full white head. Head dissipated quickly, but left attractive lacing on the glass. The taste is better than the smell, however, it is bitey and grainy. Best drunk ice cold, it becomes more bitter and less fulsome as it warms.

2.76/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Ratings are correct below, but I changed some marks above to make the final rating as correct as possible with Beer Advocate's "revamped" system. The 2.76 overall rating is correct.

Type: 25.4-oz. can
Glass: Karl Strauss pint glass
From: Vons in Pacific Beach (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $2.00 (w/ Vons card)
Purchased: Dec. 22, 2014
Consumed: Dec. 22, 2014
Misc.: Best by May 11, 2015

Poured a honey, orange, clear color with 3-to-4 fingers of khaki white, frothy head. An average amount of bubble streams coming up from the bottom of the glass. Minimal lacing on the sides of the glass. Average retention. (Sight - 3.25)

Smell was rather bland. Worked for it and got light caramel, grainy malts and apple. (Smell - 2.50)

Tasted bitter, boozy, metallic malts up front. Also some red apple, sugary caramel and earthy grains. (Taste - 2.88)

Medium body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Bitter, abrupt finish. (Feel - 2.50)

Not a big fan of this beer, especially for the style (Beer Advocate labels it an ESB). If it was an AAL, I might have it a tad higher, but just not that good. (Overall - 2.75)

2.76 | 65 | C

3.52/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I never saw this before today. Of course I never bothered to review Foster's Lager either, and I will have to do that some day - I remember one that tasted good, my first beer ever on a cruise ship. Anyway, this usually uninteresting mass-brand has a pretty nice ale here in a gigundous can.

It looks and smells great. It's darkish and has nice uniform head. The aroma is of finishing hops plus a nasty sweet smell, just like the lager.

The taste is almost right. It is bitter and hoppy as it should be. It is a little dull, and again, somewhat like the lager (but a lot better). The aftertaste is a little funky too.

Overall, this is better than I imagined. I really don't want to finish this whole can. Time to guzzle.

Foster's Premium Ale from Foster's Group Limited