Foster's Lager - Foster's Group Limited

Foster's LagerFoster's Lager

Foster's Group Limited visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Foster's Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 605 | Hads: 1,842
4.66/5  rDev +79.9%

this is a beer a lager what lager should be if miller and bud where this good i would buy it . im not sure the recipe is the same as always but the folks in texas got it right ive been drinking this beer for more than 20 years i can tell you it has changed over the years the first ones had pull tabs and where from australia then came the canadian ones which wasnt so good now is the texas brew which i love its my go to beer i always buy the 750 ml big cans its the best in those cans taste like lager should a bit bitter yet goes down smooth and taste like beer use too when i remember beer being good most of todays lager is too sweet and has no taste or just too watery . this one is a goodie . as for pour well i drink straight from the can dont care how she pours .i enjoy it and thats a rare find these days in mass market beer. thanks folks in texas for making this fine lager may there be many days in your venture .

4.33/5  rDev +67.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Although it's labeled as an American Adjunct Lager, it's quite different. It has a good hop bite to it that most American Lagers lack, making a very interesting beer. I always liked Foster's for that reason.

4.23/5  rDev +63.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I remember Fosters Lager being one of the first beers I've tasted after being 21 back in 2006-7. My first experience I can remember was with the 25.3oz can before a Def Leppard/Styx/REO Speedwagon concert in Manchester in 2007. My older brother and I took a can down each before we walked to the Verizon Wireless Stadium on elm st. Good times.
Looking back I really thought the large can was rather unique and neat. Plus it went down easy. I've gotten back into the bottled Fosters recently and realized what a solid lager it is. When poured it has a nice head to it...not too much nor too little while smelling pleasant. Appearance wise it has more of a caramel color to it..a bit similar to Sam's Boston Lager or Yuengling Amber Lager. Filtered and clear but more brownish than most Pale Lagers and Adjunct Lagers. When sipped or gulped Fosters Lager is smooth with a bit of bite to it. Nothing too offensive though. Feels good in the mouth without much kicking. With that said price wise its rather affordable compared to most imported beers.
Overall I think Fosters Lager is a rather solid beer. Its not quite a beer that will most likely have you saying "wow this is the best beer ever!!". But if you're a beer drinker that doesn't like lighter beers too much I guarantee you won't be pushing it aside.

4.22/5  rDev +62.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

For such a common lager beer, Foster's has a unique taste. This is a good beer. This is the best beer to enjoy while barbequing and smoking a cigar. The color, smell and taste are all as good as a traditional lager can be. Imagine if Budweiser was actually drinkable, and that's what Foster's is!

4.2/5  rDev +62.2%

Australias classic lager.soft structure and with rounded malted taste.Brewed firtst time in Melbourne 1887 by two brothers from N.Y city. Now it is awailible in 150 contries. Yellow golden colour 4.9% alcohol.Fosters brewing group. Good thirst qenchener.Its well past average!

4.13/5  rDev +59.5%

This Fosters Lager that I had on tap was an exellent brew. It came to me with a deep medium golden hue and a mid-full body. It had a thick foamy crown that stuck around, but eventually faded to a large lacy island.
Aroma was crisp and clean and was a very well balanced brew. A joy to drink.

4.05/5  rDev +56.4%

As Paul Hogan used to call it, 'The Golden Throat Charmer' and 'Australian for Beeya'.

First off, this tastes best very cold. This pours a beautiful golden colour with an offwhite head that sticks around. It has a nice hoppy aroma that I find distinctive. It dances on the tongue with some mild carbonation that isn't overpowering that winds into a crisp lager-y feel. The taste is crisp and clean with some malty tones and tastes great (and filling). It does have one hell of an aftertaste that takes some getting used to. This was my beer of choice in the late 80s and early 90s, and I still visit it every now and then (like this afternoon)
When I originally tried this it was brewed in Canada by Carling O'Keefe Brewing Company under license from Elder's Brewery in Australia. Elders eventually gave a huge sum of money to Molson Brewing Company to buy Carling O'Keefe (with some money from the Miller Brewing Company). When I did my Ph.D in Tennessee, I saw Foster's in the supermarket...it was brewed by Molson in Canada (and distributed in Reston, Virginia).

4.05/5  rDev +56.4%

A- pours a clear pale yellow with a thick foamy head.

S- an earthy/spicy hoppiness in the nose.

T- a mild bready malt balanced with a slightly spicy hoppiness.

M- smooth, slightly creamy. Carbonation level is appropriate. Better than average body for the style.

D- very good. A nice easy drinking lager.

4.02/5  rDev +55.2%

25.4 oz. oil can poured into a lager glass.

A - Light gold. White head stays for several minutes. Nice lacing.

S - Corn, grain, and hops.

T - Grains, some corn, and a refreshing dry finish defined by the hops.

M - Light

O - This beer gets slammed too much around here. It's not "world-class", but it is worth more than the $2 it costs. An excellent brew, imho.

I know, as beers go this is somewhat on the light side; but there is nothing more refreshing than a Foster's on tap in a cold mug with a nice steak at Outback. Gorgeous golden color, nice carbonation, thick head (albeit short lived) and a nice, rich malty scent in the nose. Taste is malt with a touch of hops, obviously a bit more watery than many micros; but a step above (IMHO) the typical BMC fare. Any beer tastes better on tap and this is no exception. Avoid the bottles, but try it the next time you order wings. It's a great, drinkable option. Think "gold." Tastes like it looks.

I got a bottle of this in a "beers of the world" mixed pack

this wasn't the first time I've had this beer (I've had many, many "oil cans" of this back in the late 70's) but this is the sample I shall base my review on.

looks ok, nice golden/amber color with a good white head

smells nice, malt, Australian malt?

taste/mouthfeel - full malt character on the mid-palate blends well with a delicate creaminess and crisp, clean hop finish, creating a perfect balance to the beer.

Australian for beer?...

copy & paste to your browser - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3RYHKWXIwI

drink up mates !

3.92/5  rDev +51.4%

Had in a large, fist consuming can. This beer is certainly one of the better American Macro Lagers out there, its taste is relatively in-offensive and goes down smoothly. I have only good things to say about this beer, especially considering its price and general availability. Solid session beer.

3.91/5  rDev +51%

pours clear yellow with a five finger white head that surprised me by holding fairly well and some lacing to the finish. musty, earthy smell. taste has a little more malt and a little more hop which gives it a little more body. mouthfeel is clean and fresh. i think it would great in the summer with your cheeseburgers and hot dogs.

3.91/5  rDev +51%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I wish all beers were available in oil cans because every single beer I've ever had from an oil can, all three of them, tasted better and were more enjoyable than their bottled brothers thanks to this outstanding container. 'Murrica.

I'd like to give credit to Foster's for their marketing over the years (decades) that makes me feel Australian when drinking this. In all seriousness, this beer's labeling and marketing are top notch in my book.

A: A one finger head (barely) from a moderate pour. Head quickly reduces to just a thin ring of bone white foam. Lacing depends on how quickly you consume but is present. Beer is a shade or two darker than most macro lagers making it slightly disappointing but not off-putting. At least Foster's doesn't artificially color their lager like they do their ale. Plenty of particles floating around when I hold the glass up to light.

S: I remember the first time I tried Foster's and drain poured it because it smelled like mold. Now I know that smell is just the Pride of Ringwood hops! Bitterness is very apparent and lets you know this isn't your average AAL. Metallic. Corn sweetness increases exponentially as the beer warms. There is an underlying typical macro lager smell that is well muted.

T: I remember the first time I tried Foster's and drain poured it because it tasted like mold. Now I know that taste is just the Pride of Ringwood hops! Toasted bread and biscuit flavors, and they come in at the end. Corn is present as the beer warms. The spotlight with Foster's Lager is focused on the hop flavor.

M: Carbonation is high from a moderate pour and features a bit of a sting. There is a strong tea-like drying that begs you to take another drink. Hop bitterness is at first balanced but quickly switches to being dominant. Bitterness hits hard and then lingers after swallowing.

O: I really like and enjoy this beer. Unique and refreshing are two good adjectives. I pay $1.72 for a 25.4 fl. oz. can and am happy to do so. Foster's Lager is way outside the norm for this style.

If you wanted a lesson on Pride of Ringwood hops, here you go. I'd love to try more beers that feature a single hop!

3.91/5  rDev +51%

Sampled tonight on 12/21/13. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass. Of course I have had this one many times before in the past but mostly on tap.

Pours a straw-yellow in color with about a finger of a white fizzy head that doesn't last too long. Some sticky lacing was seen which each sip. Lots of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom and sides of the glass from lots of carbonation. The aroma is of some sweet grains, that's about it. Taste is the same with a very slight dry finish. Also has a very slight bitter aftertaste which isn't bad at all and does not linger at all. Overall, I like Foster's.

3.88/5  rDev +49.8%

Foster's has a thick, white, soapy, and quickly dissipating head. The color is a very clear yellow-golden. Carbonation is high, and lots of lacing is left in rings down the glass. Aroma is faint, but some grain and hop smell can be picked up. The taste is a good grain-to-hop flavor; a round beer. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Foster's finishes crisp and refreshing. It is a dry beer. The hop bitterness is higher than American lagers, so it is interesting. I liked it and would recommend it.

3.88/5  rDev +49.8%

The official beer of international surfing is such for a reason. This British-style lager of Australian recipe and Canadian handicraft is an American favourite for obvious reasons. The blatantly big-ass can appeals to anyone with big-ass thirst and a small-ass buck fifty, but don't be deceived. Although it's a great price for an import, it's still great lager. I had it poured from the big-ass can into a Guinness-style tulip glass, producing a four-fingered assload of head. The head reduces to frothy thick layer of lace, atop an amber colour that leans toward the darker side of medium, bubbling away, maintaining great carbonation. The flavour is slightly hoppy, very bready with a peanutty overtone and very drinkable. This gives any domestic can of recycled urine a run for it's money. All it needs is a big-ass pizza.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

3.86/5  rDev +49%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - (after pouring in a glass) Golden brown with a light froth.

Smell - Nothing special, a little bitter, probably best to NOT smell it too much

Taste - Something special ;). It can get addictive, and i mean before you get drunk. It has a light taste and will definatly leave you refreshed but always wanting more

Mouthfeel - Again, light, satisfying, i wouldn't suggest leaving it to linger too long in the mouth though, get it down you!!

Drinkability - I would definatly suggest it. This is usually the only drink i have when having a bbq, or when out with friends in town.

This review might sound a bit brief, but everything on it is true, i guess you are just going to have to taste it to see ;)

3.83/5  rDev +47.9%

Appearance is pretty good. Straw yellow in color, one and a half finger of head, little bit of lacing.
Smell is not too bad, all that I can really smell is malt and a tad bit of hops though.
Taste is suprisingly full, not watered down like a lot of macros, a fair amount of malt.
Mouthfeel is good, decent creaminess and a some carbonation
Drinkability is very easy, goes down smooth with a bit of bitterness that hangs with you.

3.8/5  rDev +46.7%

Pretty good brew i think. havent had a lot of this but what i have had was good. Pretty deep taste, not gormet, but not bud light. smells ans looks normal, goes down pretty nice and does not leave a bad aftertaste.maybe somethign good does come from australia, i would try another of their beers, way before i would pick up a french beer.

3.8/5  rDev +46.7%

I can see from other reviews, I'm in the minority for liking this beer. So I'll state my case:

Serving: Oil can

A: It looks as good as a lager can.

S: It smells as good as a lager can.

T: I can taste this lager and it doesn't taste cheap, skunky or like dish water (Coors Light). It as that little lager burn at the end of a sip. I've always liked the dry aftertaste. That's just a personal preference.

M: It's got body, unlike almost every lager I've ever had.

D: I could drink this beer all day & not get tired of the taste.

I know it's not good as, say, Sam Smith's lager, but it's about the best lager for the masses that I've had. Lagers aren't my fav. And that's a shame considering that's what 90% of the beers in a small town grocery store are. But this one certainly has personality.

3.8/5  rDev +46.7%

As an Anglo-Australian, I like this beer, I like to drink the local brew in most places I travel to, but this one is above average. The oversize cans appeal to the English and Scottish lager louts, perhaps giving the beer a worse name than it deserves.

3.8/5  rDev +46.7%

###Reviewing with the style in mind, not personal preference##

Pale gold clear body with a respectable looking head. It's got more of both than most macro lagers I've seen.

Good aroma, too. The hops are easy to pick up along with a fainter malt flavor. Really good for what it is.

Taste has a good bit of malt and hop bitterness, but there is an obvious metallic twinge to the taste as a whole, and the bitterness at the end is a bit like dissolving an aspirin on your tongue. Still better than no flavor, though.

Lower carbonation that I'm used to with this style, I like it though, as you don't feel bloated with CO2 after a hearty swig.

I rarely drink this style; I bought it to practice for my BJCP test. I'd certainly pick it over many others in the style, however.

3.79/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

a 5 for looks, ilike the color of it
a1.5 for smell, it smells more like corn than Busch.
a 4.5 for taste, It reminds me of Falstaff and I liked Falstaff...ya, ya, ya I know
a 3.75 for feel it's not watery. 4.75 overall
I don't like the way it smells. I like the fact that it is 5% ABV, after having gone through the craft beer phase and home brewing phase, I go more for buzz now than anything else the higher the ABV% the better I like the beer despite it's other short comings. Now then am I a beer geek no, but I know what I like and don't like, I like Fosters and would love to taste some not made in the U.S., Fosters in the UK is 4% abv everywhere else it's 5%. Will I buy more yes I will.

3.78/5  rDev +45.9%

The first smell upon opening I had was of cooked veggie, but then it seemed more like a wet corn adjunct aroma.

The taste featured a body that had a corn adjunct type taste to it with some cereal grains. However, this gives way to a surprising crispness from hop bitterness. I was pleased with that. After the swallow, a huge hit of grainy sweetness shows up quite prominantly.

For the style, which is a very maligned one, it is a good option. The hops are actually present, and the grains at the end are pleasing to me. And who doesn't love the oil can?

Foster's Lager from Foster's Group Limited