Foster's Lager - Foster's Group Limited

Foster's LagerFoster's Lager

Foster's Group Limited visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Foster's Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 601 | Hads: 1,824
2.23/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured a light yellow hue with a thick head that dissipated very quickly. Smelled of artificial sweetness with very small hints of corn. Tasted somewhat bitter with hints of corn and grain. For some odd reason I remember enjoying this a lot more years ago. Now it is very mediocre.

2.09/5  rDev -19.3%

It's part #3 of "bottom shelf beer review week"!

Appearance : Pours a pale straw color into a tumbler, 90% opacity, and a towering head that quickly recedes to a small ring. Lacing surprisingly is left in vertical streaks on the sides of the tumbler glass. Not a shabby display.

Smell : I'm using my hand as a desperate attempt to waft a smell whatsoever up to my olfactory. It's very hard to detect what's going on here. Some straw, corn, maybe a little bit of flower...that's it. It's a very weak nose - this beer is not meant to be smelled.

Taste : Stale grain and sweat sock flavors out front, this seems more like a punishment than an indulgence. Some faint pasty hop bite comes eventually, and it leaves off with a faint malt note. This is honestly one of the most terrible beers I've ever tasted.

Feel : Busy carbonation out front, with a light champagne-like quality (High Life, anyone?), and it ends semi-dry and otherwise unremarkable. I'm getting a sticky film on my teeth from the sweetness of the corn.

Overall : This beer reminds me of all the bottom shelf 40 oz malt liquor beers I've had. It's pretty awful, has no real balance, no good flavors, and hides itself behind carbonation. If there was no carbonation in this beer, or even reduced carbonation, it would taste like unsweetened corn syrup blended with sweat sock and grass clippings. It's truly one of the worst beers I've ever had.

3.63/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I live in Florida. We can't drink heavy beer in hot weather. Fosters is cheap, it's light, and it's refreshing. I'm an IPA lover but Fosters is a good beer to take down when you're in the middle of a hot summer. It is not a specialty beer but I prefer it over Budweiser any day. It is light gold in color, smells citrusy but tastes bland, has white foam, and is not bad when taking down a pint in ten seconds to cool down. Gives a good buzz.

1.47/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is another one of those low quality beers with a standard 5.0% ABV, but I drank it when I was a kid so it has a strong nostalgic component that might give it a fraction of a point extra so keep that in mind.

Look-It pours a light golden mildly clear liquid with a head that is small.

Smell-It smells of grainy malts and an indiscernible metallic aroma.

Taste-It has neither bitterness nor hops. It has not much in the way of flavor other than grainy malt-forward characteristics.

Mouthfeel-It is nothing exciting. It has just the fizz from the carbonation and a barely noticeable alcohol content.

Overall-I would not recommend this beer unless you’re a hobo or myself time-travelling to my past.

2.52/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I couldn't resist a trip back to the college days and I nabbed one of these. I haven't had this in years. Poured center from 25 oz oil can into a snifter because I'm classy like that. Which, of course, promptly stuck to the lip of the can and spilled everywhere.

L: Golden straw color with a thick clean white head. Large stream of carbonation mainly contained to the center of the glass stem. Thick patchy lacing and long lasting retention.

S: Strong Pilsner nose with lemon. A little bit of skunk detectable.

T: Light buttered toast body and a touch of lemon in the finish. Some creamed corn as well. Watery and disappointing.

F: Creamy mouthfeel. Would be easier to drink with a better flavor.

O: Watery and skunky overall. I bought it cold but it may be old. Going to have to force the rest of this down.

3.21/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Golden colored, clear, white head, nice lacing. Aroma is malty some grain, bit of corn and a bit metallic. Taste is malt, grains, some corn yeah typical Australian lager.

2.94/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from the famous 25 OZ oil can into a pint glass. This beer is clear yellow with moderate carbonation. It has a slight lager corn flavor and is better had very cold. I know this is the Australian example of Moosehead Beer to Canadians (a not so popular brand exported to the States). An average AAL style beer.

1.62/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I think this may be the worst AAL that I've ever had - and that's saying something. Here goes:

A: Only decent thing about the beer. Clear yellow, well-carbonated, good head. Lacing is OK.

S: Wow, this is too mild even for an AAL. Can barely smell the corn. Faint hints of corn and nothing else.

T: Mimics the smell. Mostly water - no hints of barley or hops. Just light corn.

F: Pure water.

O: This was a bad beer.

1.88/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a nice golden color with surprising frothy head. Standard putrid corn aromas. Goes down harsh and taste to match. This is a way worse beer than I rembered

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Marketing makes this beer sound big, and the whole Australia thing is enticing, but the beer is rather poor. Low flavor, watery feel, no reason to return.

3.45/5  rDev +33.2%

I know someone from Melbourne. She said that Australians are not crazy about this beer. She said that different regions have their breweries and their favorite beers. This, she said, is the crap they send to the U.S.

I was at Outback the other day. I had a growler of IPA at home, but I didn't want to open it because it was only Tuesday. I wanted to save it for the weekend. So I figured, what the heck, I'll get a Foster's. I was happy. It's got the typical color of a lager halfway between urine and sunshine. The smell isn't all that impressive.

But I was very pleased with the taste. It's not an overwhelming taste. I'm an IPA man so you know I like a strong taste, but for this it was a very pleasing subtle taste. And you don't want anything heavy when you're eating a big steak so it goes well with the restaurant. I'm not going to pick up a case off the supermarket shelves especially when there are so many other better options, but if I'm at a party that's serving it, I'll be happy.

1.13/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Only bearable if stone cold this is just an example of how a nation that creates such good wine has no idea of how to brew. Quite simply a disgusting tasteless example of lager rather than beer.

2.87/5  rDev +10.8%

Drank from a big "oil can", which they're known for. So I can't comment on the looks.
Smelled of a cheap lager beer, on par with similarly priced beers of this kind. Nothing to set itself apart from others.
Tasted watered down, with mild hoppy flavor. Not bad on a hot summer day, but nothing special. Has no strong aftertaste.

2.66/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 25.4 ounce "oil can" into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date 9-21-15.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, light yellow color with one-finger white head that dissipated quickly until there was absolutely no trace of any head, medium carbonation and no lacing of any kind.

SMELL: corn, grass and crackers, very subtle to the nose.

TASTE: this beer is hard to describe because there is very little going on here, I can barely detect some sweetness form the malt, there is a taste of corn in the middle and then there is a slight metallic hop bite at the end, finishes clean.

PALATE: light body and medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this is a standard lawnmower beer, nothing more, nothing less, I would not buy this again as there are American beers of similar quality that I can buy for less like Hamm's.

2.52/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Too expensive for the taste. If you can get a deal during a house party/BBQ your friends will laud you for getting an import but obviously not a great craft beer.

2.82/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a chilled 750 ml. can into a lager glass.

Golden yellow color with a large 4-fingers of head. Plenty of lacing.

Aroma of hay, hay and more hay.

Tastes of barley and hay. No complexity. I can see myself drinking this in the Australian outback on a hot day. Refreshing on a hot day, but otherwise very ok. I expected more from you Aussies!

3.79/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

a 5 for looks, ilike the color of it
a1.5 for smell, it smells more like corn than Busch.
a 4.5 for taste, It reminds me of Falstaff and I liked Falstaff...ya, ya, ya I know
a 3.75 for feel it's not watery. 4.75 overall
I don't like the way it smells. I like the fact that it is 5% ABV, after having gone through the craft beer phase and home brewing phase, I go more for buzz now than anything else the higher the ABV% the better I like the beer despite it's other short comings. Now then am I a beer geek no, but I know what I like and don't like, I like Fosters and would love to taste some not made in the U.S., Fosters in the UK is 4% abv everywhere else it's 5%. Will I buy more yes I will.

2.95/5  rDev +13.9%

L- golden pale yellow, decent-looking head, some sparse lacing.
S- pretty typical adjunct lager smell. Grainy, not too fragrant
T- hardly any... and there is a slight sweetness to the beer that doesn't really work. So it doesn't taste good, but it doesn't taste bad either.
M- light, crisp, and clean.

O- hey, I kinda like it. Sure, it's an adjunct lager that ultimately can be beaten by any craft beer out there. But for what it is, it's alright.

2.9/5  rDev +12%

Fosters. Because... why not?! It's Australian for bored. Saw the oil can at the local Publix and couldn't help but remember how I used to think this was a premium beer. LOL. Pours from the obnoxiously large can in to a Modelo pint glass with gusto. The massive, loose head of fizzy, white crackling suds is as big as the can. It rests atop a pale, yellow lager with copious amounts of bubbles hugging the glass, before disappearing in record time. What's left is an uninspired pint of pale, lifeless liquid. About as transparent as a beer can be. A slightly sulfurous smell melds with metallic accents and a subtle, sour, floral hop note. In a nutshell, cheap lager. The taste is dominated by malty corn sweetness, with scant balancing bitterness. But not a sugary sweetness. Like chewing on unpopped popcorn kernels with a hint of aspartame. The finish is relatively crisp and clean, with little residual flavor. Surprisingly mild carbonation, with a smooth, slick, and easy mouthfeel. I could easily shotgun this entire oil can with little effort. Almost like beer-flavored water. Overall, aside from the unappealing aroma this is your typical pale, fizzy, swill. From time to time, it's just the right change of pace. Surprised I said that? It's an adjunct lager. For the style it's not half bad. If I was self-medicating I'd probably choose a beer like this.

3.8/5  rDev +46.7%

As an Anglo-Australian, I like this beer, I like to drink the local brew in most places I travel to, but this one is above average. The oversize cans appeal to the English and Scottish lager louts, perhaps giving the beer a worse name than it deserves.

2.46/5  rDev -5%

Review of one of the large cans.

Appearance: Perfectly transparent with a bright golden colored body under a thick fluffy head that stands up for a long time. Great visible carbonation. It looks perfect.

Aroma: Mild spicy hop aroma and that familiar lager tinge. I can clearly pick out the spicy hop aroma though.

Taste: I'm literally picking up no flavor at all. There's a bit of a cereal flavor at the end, but even that is watered down. It really does taste just like water. I won't give it a 1 because it doesn't taste disgusting, it literally just has no flavor...and I'm not saying that to be mean. I'm looking for flavor of any kind and I get none.

Mouthfeel: It's crisp but it doesn't give much presence in the mouth. Average at best.

Overall: Skip this beer. An adjunct lager does not mean the beer has to be flavorless, which this is. I recommend passing on it.

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Reviewing this one based on the style, not compared to other beers.

Did a bit of a hard pour, and poured a light straw yellow color with a large white head that did leave some lacing.

Smell is corn and grain, reminds me a bit of bread.

Has a definite taste of corn and malt up front, but has a bit of a funky aftertaste. It is a touch on the sweet side.

Feel is a bit watery, but the carbonation does add a tingle that improves the feel a bit.

Overall, one of the better examples of the style. Seems most mass beers like this are very watery and have almost no flavor, this one at least has flavor. I can see how something like this would appeal on a hot day, it goes down easy, and at least to me, is a bit more than just water with a touch of beer flavoring.

2.99/5  rDev +15.4%

750 ml oil can into an imperial pint. Bottom stamped Apr2015

A- A sloppy, partial pour creates a huge, fluffy white head atop a clean, straw body with medium-heavy carbonation. The head drops to a thin foam that leaves some pretty good rings. A more controlled, second pour makes more like a 1 finger head.

S- A mix of husky grains and sweet and slightly tart, berry-like aroma. Some cooked corn when it warms up a bit.

T- It starts out pretty good for the style, lots of malt sweetness with some creamed corn flavor. It gets really dry and a little overly clean in the finish with some light, grassy hops.

M- Medium-light body with a bite from a higher level of carbonation and a little hop tingle. Somewhat "pop-like."

O- This used to be a splurge-type beer in college. I could see drinking one after mowing the lawn or around the grill, but it doesn't set itself apart from its truly cheap, domestic counterparts. More of a thirst quencher than something to savor.

3.07/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a straw yellow slightly on the dark side compared to other adjunct beers. A frothy head of modest size ensues, the lace retention not so much.The smell was the only thing that really bothered me. It had a graininess to it that didn't feel fresh. In addition, there was an odor of cooked vegetables that was not so pleasant. The taste surprised me however. A smooth and clean taste that was malty and grainy. Not complex at all but not so watery that it rendered it flavorless. The feel was light bodied with moderate carbonation. Fairly drinkable beer. Not my favorite but not as bad, for me at least, as it's portrayed here.

2.18/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Had in the oil can tailgating for a football game in November (sorry for late upload). Very unimpressive for the AAL category. There are so many cheaper (domestic) AAL beers that are so much better.

Foster's Lager from Foster's Group Limited