Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast) - Isle Of Skye Brewery

Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)

good

Isle Of Skye Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-10-2004)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by rtratzlaff:
rtratzlaff

4.13/5  rDev +15.4%

06/04/06
1 pint .9 oz bottle poured into a 20 oz pint glass.
Cool description of the name on the bottle.
Poured a beautiful amber with a wonderful two finger head billowing above the top of my pint glass. Truly a wonderful looking beer. It smells of sweet caramel malt.
The taset is bread-like malt giving way to slight orangy hop flavors and finishing with a peat-smokiness that is wonderful on the first few sips. Mouthfeel is nearly perfect, just thick enough without being overbearing. Scottish ales/wee heavy's are usually a bit too thick for my liking, but this one was not as heavy.
Drinkablility is pretty good except a burnt wood flavor starts to wear on the tongue a bit near the end. I plan on revisiting the wee beast again one day.

06-05-2006 17:32:00 | More by rtratzlaff

Alabama

07-24-2012 14:17:13 | More by harpus
Suds

2.33/5  rDev -34.9%

Okay, so I don't believe in reviewing an infected beer. However, after reading several other reviews of this beer, and also doing some research on other published opinions, I feel the need to write about my impressions. This beer pours a very clear amber-golden color with a modest white head. Not a bad looking beer, for sure. But, the smell certainly has something off...acetic acid is strong in this one...wild yeast or bacteria have done some serious munching on the sweetness. The company's website describes this beer as 'sweetish', not lambic-like tartness. There is a musty, earthy, moderately fruit-like scent that's not completely bad (in the right context, I kind of like it)...I'm just pretty sure it's not intended. I also believe that most other drinkers are tasting the same thing. The beer is quite dry, with no malt flavor at all. The finish is lingering and vinegary. Moderate mouthfeel, and very mouth-drying. Unfortunately, this experience lead me to be quite skeptical of the beers from this brewery.

12-11-2010 02:48:32 | More by Suds
impending

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

500ml into a tulip. Pours a hazy dirty honey. Minimal head receded quickly to none.

Malts and more hops than typical.

Tangy taste, some sour and again more hops than typical. I don't know what to label this brew as it sucks at being a wee heavy. Not that it is necessarily a bad brew but in the context of a wee heavy it fails. I'd say it would fit as a Scottish Wild Ale in which case I would rate it a B+. My rating here on BA is rating to classification.
cheers
jd

08-07-2010 05:02:41 | More by impending
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

No date or lot code on the bottle. Sampled on July 18, 2010. I think I have to preface this by saying this is not a style I tend to drink regularly. The pour was yellow-copper with a haziness that made me think it was unfiltered. There is a puffy white head and pretty good lacing. The main thing I get in the aroma is yeast, yeast and more yeast. It felt like it hadn't fully fermented. There was a distant hoppiness but the yeast was a bit much. The taste really puckered up my lips because it was just so tart and sour although it did tend to remain dry throughout. Sorry, not something I could do again.

07-18-2010 19:19:34 | More by puboflyons
gfreed

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As with most Scotch ales, there was very little head on this beer; what was there was a very noisy, bubbly mass that released loads of sweet malt and half a bushel of lemons and a handful of berries. The color was a little lighter than other SAs I've had, with an iced-tea hue that had some attractive edges the color of oak boards. The fruity nose was more than I expected, as was the fruity taste-- it was a bit sour at first from the lemons, but as it warmed up the malt took over until, at halfway through the bottle, the fruit had minimized and the malty tones strode to the front, leading the way to the bottom of the glass. There was still the tang of sour fruit, but it merely assumed its proper place in the drama. The usual peaty flavors were there as well, nicely placed in the background for balance. Minimal carbonation and a smooth, flat body. Overall a good Scotch ale-- not the best I've had, but one to respect.

07-17-2010 13:07:30 | More by gfreed
dqrull

Sweden

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a nice really hazy amber with a light one finger thick head that lasts for some time, leaving little to no lacing.

I get the same thing in this beers nose that I got in the other beers from this brewery, and it is a fruity fudgeness from the malts, strawberryfudge almost, but this has some other qualities to it than the others, as I get a little hint of white wine, a little almond and a mixed bowl of fresh forest berries.

Taste is along the same lines, with the strawberryfudge up front, but it's backed up by some burnt wood and a bitterness that I cant say coems from the hops, as I can barely detect any at all. Taste carries on with red wine, sweet fresh forest berries (with their inate tartness) and caramellized white sugar.

Mouthfeel is okay, with a soft and almost too humble carbonation, would have liked a little more fizz. Body is medium and filling.

06-17-2010 18:15:16 | More by dqrull
Brad007

Vermont

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a mild amber/golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. A bit lighter than I expected but good presentation.

Aroma is full of a gentle hint of peak smokiness and sweet malt with a raisin-like essence. Not bad to start with.

Taste is kind of sour (?) with only a hint of smokiness and sweet malt. Raisin is still here but I can't get over the sourness. I don't think this style is supposed to be anywhere near sour.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sourness/smokiness and not much else. Again, very disappointing.

I certainly hope this is just a bad bottle but I'm not one to waste beer. It could be many things but this style is most certainly not supposed to be sour.

06-15-2010 01:23:32 | More by Brad007
Rayek

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a Thistle.

A: Very cloudy red oak with active carbonation. A puffy lemon peel tinged cap has nice retention and leaves good lace.

S: Alcohol really struck me at first; which seemed odd for a beer with this ABV. Letting my nose linger revealed chocolate, smoke and a bit of peat, plus a mild lemon scent. Perhaps even a hint of salt.

T: Different, if nothing else. Quite sweet and tart. Almost sugary out front, with a mild chocolate undertow. A powerful sour lemon tartness comes on quick. Alcohol adds a touch of warmth. A little raw earth is in the background. Finishes extremely dry and tart.

M: The medium body is grainy and has way too much carbonation for my tastes.

D: This was one of the more, if not the most unique takes on this style. The extreme tartness didn't really work for me. Once past the tartness, there is a bit of a toned down single malt theme here that's interesting. But the overall experience wasn't that joyful for me.

01-17-2010 03:36:51 | More by Rayek
bluejacket74

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

16.9 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours an orange/copper color with about a 2 inch frothy off-white head. Even after a slow pour, the head just shoots up on this brew. Head retention is good, lacing is decent. Aroma is caramel and roasted malt, fruit, peat and wood. The taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like caramel malt, fruit, peat, grass, grapes, tea and herbs. It's a unique flavor, not quite what I expected. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and has high carbonation. Drinkability is OK, would be better if the carbonation was lower. I think this is a decent brew, I'd like to try this again in the future.

08-07-2009 22:38:09 | More by bluejacket74
ahalloin

2.45/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a 1 Pint, 9 oz. bottle with no freshness date. I didn't purchase this long ago so I hope it is fresh.

The beer pours a dark cloudy goldish color, a bit light for what I would normally associate with a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy beer. The head is decent considering a fairly aggressive pour was used. The white head topped off at about a finger width but quickly receded to a thin ring.

The smell is a little weak but presents a light roasty quality with a slight hint of peat moss. I am also detecting a slight cidery vinegary smell.

The taste isn't so great. There is some smoked peat flavor there, appropriate to the Wee Heavy style but there is definitely a sour, vinegar flavor predominating. I'll let it warm and see what happens. After warming a bit, I am still getting a stinging cidery flavor that I don't think belongs in a Wee Heavy at all. Maybe my bottle has turned?!

Mouthfeel seems right for the style with medium low carbonation and a slightly creamy feel.

Drinkability is difficult to discern as I think the beer has turned.

I'll have to try it another time.

07-24-2009 01:18:03 | More by ahalloin
Chelsea1905

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

What a great Scottish heavy!!!! This thing smells of Malt, Malt and more Malt. dark amber colour, with lacing that lasts most of the way

if you like heavy, and you like Malt, thi is one of the best you can ever hope for. The malt and caramel takes over everything!

A great wee heavy, and good selection from the Isle of Skye brewery. Honestly, as far as a alt based wee heavy, there isn't much better

Scott

03-07-2009 04:41:28 | More by Chelsea1905
ccrida

Oregon

3.15/5  rDev -12%

500ml poured into my Delirium snifter, Wee Beast is a murky pale bronze with a creamy white head, it leaves decent lace, and overall looks pretty good.

Smell is musty, a little nutty, grassy hops, light smoky phenols (AFAIK none of the commercial Scottish examples used smoked malts), with a slight sweetness.

Taste is not too sweet or overly malty for a scotch ale, and the grassy hops follow the nose in an unusually prominent role for the style, although there's at least not to much bitterness. Taste more like an English strong ale, although not a particularly bad one, just not what I'm looking for in the style. There is a bit of a staleness to it but I'm pretty sure it's new stock to my beer store so it could just be the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel seems a bit thin, and also a bit drier then I expected.

Drinkability is OK as far as UK ales go, but it really wasn't my bag or what I was looking for. I don't think this is a classic brewery, as I've been doing a little research on the style for homebrewing purposes (at least it's not referenced in Designing Great Beers, which has extensive information on all the major traditional breweries), which would explain why it seems like a more modern interpretation of the style. .

01-10-2009 03:49:46 | More by ccrida
Minkybut

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

I poured this really complex beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice amber color and poured a pretty head. The smell was Fruity/nutty. The taste was of Coffee, sweet/sour/ and pecan bitter meat. Yea, strange. Not for me so no, I will not buy again.

12-24-2008 17:16:23 | More by Minkybut
bigbelcher

Arizona

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer came as a alternative by the bartender at Freaking Frog in Las Vegas who was out of the other Scottish beer that I wanted. I was pleasently surprised by it, It pours a nice golden color with a big white head. Aroma was very malt based with little to no hop aroma. Smells of toasted biscuit malt. While it is heavy on the maalt is is pretty well balanced without being too sweet. Low carbonation after the head falls away. No peat smokiness.

12-01-2008 08:50:19 | More by bigbelcher
CHADMC3

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

The Wee Beast pours a hazy orange to copper with an aggressively developing fluffy white head leaving a generous sticky lacing down the inner glass.

The aroma wafts from the glass and the sweet malt can be detected from a foot away. There is also a deep fruit, perhaps darker citrus that accompanies the abundant caramel.

The initial sip does not offer the deep flavor the aroma led me to expect. Allowing the Beast to rest on the palate reveals the roasted caramel malt and even a hint of hop bitterness towards the back of the palate. A presence of earthy pine and other faint sweet flavors exist as well.

The beast lies on the thicker side with noticeable carbonation and a nice clean finish with just a hint of spice.

This is a good beer. Very palatable, easy to drink, and just enough character to re-visit it.

11-17-2008 02:54:04 | More by CHADMC3