Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast) - Isle Of Skye Brewery

Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)

good

Isle Of Skye Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-10-2004

Ratings: 80 | Reviews: 70
2.34/5  rDev -34.8%

Okay, so I don't believe in reviewing an infected beer. However, after reading several other reviews of this beer, and also doing some research on other published opinions, I feel the need to write about my impressions. This beer pours a very clear amber-golden color with a modest white head. Not a bad looking beer, for sure. But, the smell certainly has something off...acetic acid is strong in this one...wild yeast or bacteria have done some serious munching on the sweetness. The company's website describes this beer as 'sweetish', not lambic-like tartness. There is a musty, earthy, moderately fruit-like scent that's not completely bad (in the right context, I kind of like it)...I'm just pretty sure it's not intended. I also believe that most other drinkers are tasting the same thing. The beer is quite dry, with no malt flavor at all. The finish is lingering and vinegary. Moderate mouthfeel, and very mouth-drying. Unfortunately, this experience lead me to be quite skeptical of the beers from this brewery.

2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

500ml into a tulip. Pours a hazy dirty honey. Minimal head receded quickly to none.

Malts and more hops than typical.

Tangy taste, some sour and again more hops than typical. I don't know what to label this brew as it sucks at being a wee heavy. Not that it is necessarily a bad brew but in the context of a wee heavy it fails. I'd say it would fit as a Scottish Wild Ale in which case I would rate it a B+. My rating here on BA is rating to classification.
cheers
jd

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

No date or lot code on the bottle. Sampled on July 18, 2010. I think I have to preface this by saying this is not a style I tend to drink regularly. The pour was yellow-copper with a haziness that made me think it was unfiltered. There is a puffy white head and pretty good lacing. The main thing I get in the aroma is yeast, yeast and more yeast. It felt like it hadn't fully fermented. There was a distant hoppiness but the yeast was a bit much. The taste really puckered up my lips because it was just so tart and sour although it did tend to remain dry throughout. Sorry, not something I could do again.

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As with most Scotch ales, there was very little head on this beer; what was there was a very noisy, bubbly mass that released loads of sweet malt and half a bushel of lemons and a handful of berries. The color was a little lighter than other SAs I've had, with an iced-tea hue that had some attractive edges the color of oak boards. The fruity nose was more than I expected, as was the fruity taste-- it was a bit sour at first from the lemons, but as it warmed up the malt took over until, at halfway through the bottle, the fruit had minimized and the malty tones strode to the front, leading the way to the bottom of the glass. There was still the tang of sour fruit, but it merely assumed its proper place in the drama. The usual peaty flavors were there as well, nicely placed in the background for balance. Minimal carbonation and a smooth, flat body. Overall a good Scotch ale-- not the best I've had, but one to respect.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Pours a nice really hazy amber with a light one finger thick head that lasts for some time, leaving little to no lacing.

I get the same thing in this beers nose that I got in the other beers from this brewery, and it is a fruity fudgeness from the malts, strawberryfudge almost, but this has some other qualities to it than the others, as I get a little hint of white wine, a little almond and a mixed bowl of fresh forest berries.

Taste is along the same lines, with the strawberryfudge up front, but it's backed up by some burnt wood and a bitterness that I cant say coems from the hops, as I can barely detect any at all. Taste carries on with red wine, sweet fresh forest berries (with their inate tartness) and caramellized white sugar.

Mouthfeel is okay, with a soft and almost too humble carbonation, would have liked a little more fizz. Body is medium and filling.

2.67/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a mild amber/golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. A bit lighter than I expected but good presentation.

Aroma is full of a gentle hint of peak smokiness and sweet malt with a raisin-like essence. Not bad to start with.

Taste is kind of sour (?) with only a hint of smokiness and sweet malt. Raisin is still here but I can't get over the sourness. I don't think this style is supposed to be anywhere near sour.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sourness/smokiness and not much else. Again, very disappointing.

I certainly hope this is just a bad bottle but I'm not one to waste beer. It could be many things but this style is most certainly not supposed to be sour.

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a Thistle.

A: Very cloudy red oak with active carbonation. A puffy lemon peel tinged cap has nice retention and leaves good lace.

S: Alcohol really struck me at first; which seemed odd for a beer with this ABV. Letting my nose linger revealed chocolate, smoke and a bit of peat, plus a mild lemon scent. Perhaps even a hint of salt.

T: Different, if nothing else. Quite sweet and tart. Almost sugary out front, with a mild chocolate undertow. A powerful sour lemon tartness comes on quick. Alcohol adds a touch of warmth. A little raw earth is in the background. Finishes extremely dry and tart.

M: The medium body is grainy and has way too much carbonation for my tastes.

D: This was one of the more, if not the most unique takes on this style. The extreme tartness didn't really work for me. Once past the tartness, there is a bit of a toned down single malt theme here that's interesting. But the overall experience wasn't that joyful for me.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

16.9 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours an orange/copper color with about a 2 inch frothy off-white head. Even after a slow pour, the head just shoots up on this brew. Head retention is good, lacing is decent. Aroma is caramel and roasted malt, fruit, peat and wood. The taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like caramel malt, fruit, peat, grass, grapes, tea and herbs. It's a unique flavor, not quite what I expected. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and has high carbonation. Drinkability is OK, would be better if the carbonation was lower. I think this is a decent brew, I'd like to try this again in the future.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured from a 1 Pint, 9 oz. bottle with no freshness date. I didn't purchase this long ago so I hope it is fresh.

The beer pours a dark cloudy goldish color, a bit light for what I would normally associate with a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy beer. The head is decent considering a fairly aggressive pour was used. The white head topped off at about a finger width but quickly receded to a thin ring.

The smell is a little weak but presents a light roasty quality with a slight hint of peat moss. I am also detecting a slight cidery vinegary smell.

The taste isn't so great. There is some smoked peat flavor there, appropriate to the Wee Heavy style but there is definitely a sour, vinegar flavor predominating. I'll let it warm and see what happens. After warming a bit, I am still getting a stinging cidery flavor that I don't think belongs in a Wee Heavy at all. Maybe my bottle has turned?!

Mouthfeel seems right for the style with medium low carbonation and a slightly creamy feel.

Drinkability is difficult to discern as I think the beer has turned.

I'll have to try it another time.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

What a great Scottish heavy!!!! This thing smells of Malt, Malt and more Malt. dark amber colour, with lacing that lasts most of the way

if you like heavy, and you like Malt, thi is one of the best you can ever hope for. The malt and caramel takes over everything!

A great wee heavy, and good selection from the Isle of Skye brewery. Honestly, as far as a alt based wee heavy, there isn't much better

Scott

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

500ml poured into my Delirium snifter, Wee Beast is a murky pale bronze with a creamy white head, it leaves decent lace, and overall looks pretty good.

Smell is musty, a little nutty, grassy hops, light smoky phenols (AFAIK none of the commercial Scottish examples used smoked malts), with a slight sweetness.

Taste is not too sweet or overly malty for a scotch ale, and the grassy hops follow the nose in an unusually prominent role for the style, although there's at least not to much bitterness. Taste more like an English strong ale, although not a particularly bad one, just not what I'm looking for in the style. There is a bit of a staleness to it but I'm pretty sure it's new stock to my beer store so it could just be the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel seems a bit thin, and also a bit drier then I expected.

Drinkability is OK as far as UK ales go, but it really wasn't my bag or what I was looking for. I don't think this is a classic brewery, as I've been doing a little research on the style for homebrewing purposes (at least it's not referenced in Designing Great Beers, which has extensive information on all the major traditional breweries), which would explain why it seems like a more modern interpretation of the style. .

2.98/5  rDev -17%

I poured this really complex beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice amber color and poured a pretty head. The smell was Fruity/nutty. The taste was of Coffee, sweet/sour/ and pecan bitter meat. Yea, strange. Not for me so no, I will not buy again.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer came as a alternative by the bartender at Freaking Frog in Las Vegas who was out of the other Scottish beer that I wanted. I was pleasently surprised by it, It pours a nice golden color with a big white head. Aroma was very malt based with little to no hop aroma. Smells of toasted biscuit malt. While it is heavy on the maalt is is pretty well balanced without being too sweet. Low carbonation after the head falls away. No peat smokiness.

3.59/5  rDev 0%

The Wee Beast pours a hazy orange to copper with an aggressively developing fluffy white head leaving a generous sticky lacing down the inner glass.

The aroma wafts from the glass and the sweet malt can be detected from a foot away. There is also a deep fruit, perhaps darker citrus that accompanies the abundant caramel.

The initial sip does not offer the deep flavor the aroma led me to expect. Allowing the Beast to rest on the palate reveals the roasted caramel malt and even a hint of hop bitterness towards the back of the palate. A presence of earthy pine and other faint sweet flavors exist as well.

The beast lies on the thicker side with noticeable carbonation and a nice clean finish with just a hint of spice.

This is a good beer. Very palatable, easy to drink, and just enough character to re-visit it.

4.67/5  rDev +30.1%

This is a great wee heavy.

Dark red brown, it has a thin, off-white head that soon shrinks to a thin ring.

The aroma is sweet red wine, grapes, raisins, toast, brown bread, fruit, and earthy leaves and a hint of tea.

The taste is winey grapes, fruit, stewed dried fruit, leaves, tea, earth, hints of bread and black pepper, and a definite light hop quality. In all, it almost seems more like an English barleywine than a wee heavy, but it's wonderful.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Girlfriend picked this one up, I love Wee Heavy so I had me a taste.

Poured a clouded dark tan with about a finger of bubbly fluffy white head.

Smells of oak, scotch, spice and grassy herb. Alcohol is pretty strong.

Taste is strong. Very sharp, with a strong whiskey and citrus front, mild sour bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit solid. Medium weight, mild carbonation. Leaves a feeling in the mouth but not syrupy.

Drinkability is alright. I like the style but this variation of it isn't my favorite.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours clouded dark amber - almost light brown - with a foamy, bubbly head.

The smell is woody, herbal, caramelish. Different than expected for the style.

The taste is of tart fruitiness with an ever-so-slight smokiness and caramel. Quite fruity for the style. Finishes sweet, slightly bitter.

It has a creamy medium-bodied.

A different Wee Heavy. I'll put this one in the "interesting" category.

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Poured a medium-dark orange with a soft and creamy 2 finger light beige head that lasted for a minute or two before receding and leaving a spothcy, broken sheet leacing. Visible carbonation was medium-strong.

S: moderately strong with spicy oranges and caramel malt with some noticeable alcohol notes.

T: spicy and sour oranges delivering a big tart presence in the beginning. Overall the flavor was pretty limited in complexity with sharp, acidic, sour oranges that quickly fade to a subtle tart finish. Overall the flavor was quite odd per style I though and best described as alcoholic, tart oranges.

M: light, slick, and oily with a spicy alcoholic tart orange flavor.

D: Less then moderate drinkability and not many reasons to try or like. Flavor gets tiring quickly and didn't make me look forward to next sip. Packaged in 500ml bottle and not embarrassed to say I just couldn't finish or rather cared to.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

My afterwork brew on Robert Burns' Day was a treat!

Appearance> Lively small bubbles, cloudy/unfiltered appearance, rich, amber, sparkling.
Smell> fresh cut clover, sweet grasses, warm alcohol essence like whiskey.
Taste> Crisp start, barley, bitterness, smoothing to a sweet apple finish. Excellent example of a wee heavy.
Mouthfeel> thicker than I expected. Medium body, very silky
Drinkability> much more drinkable than more common wee heavies.
I lurved it.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer, poured from the bottle into my pint glass, had a murky brown color with hints of tan. The head was white and made up of tiny bubbles. My first impression of the aroma was very malty. There was evidence of both sweet and smoked barley. Hop and alcohol aroma was very faint. The flavor, however, was a surprise. It still showed a heavy malt base of both sweet and smoked barley, but the finish was both hoppy and bitter which surprised me considering there was really no hop presence in the aroma. Typically, in Scottish Ales, I look for a “smoked peatiness” in the flavor. So while this was a decent beer to drink, because it lacked the smokiness, I would not consider it a standout.

3.37/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, light tan colored head that sits atop an amber colored brew, which shows a lightly hazy, pinkish tinged, red colored beer when held up to the light. Strong aromas of diacetyl contribute a definitely distinct aroma of butterscotch & butter, though it is not at the rancid butter stage. Underneath the dominant butterscotch aromatics is perhaps a hint of fruitiness and a touch of toasted malt aromatics; both of these are probably substantial, but I have a really hard time detecting them under all of the diacetyl.

Soft, slightly creamy textured, yet it has a light prickle of carbonation to it. Toasty malt notes reminiscent of lightly browned biscuits, toasted bread, a touch of roast grain and lots of dark bread flavors are all noticeable. The malt character tends to especially linger on in the mouth. The diacetyl flavor contribution is much reduced, when compared to the nose, but does add some definite butterscotch notes here as well. Up front the notes of butterscotch, caramel and toffee mix, but this then slowly yields to the dry, toasty malt notes previously mentioned.

While the aroma is not so bad, it is certainly almost exclusively one-dimensional in its butterscotch focus. The flavor actually sort of works; I had written this beer off after smelling it, but it is actually fairly enjoyable in the flavor department.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a great golden amber color with a very nice head and with nice lacing. Good scent, nice and malty, but not as peaty/smokey as I'm used to from a Scottish Ale, especially a wee heavy. Tastes good, nice and crisp with a good maltiness, but again, not near as much in the way of a peaty flavor that I've come to expect. Goes down smooth, you can barely detect the higher ABV percentage. It's not my first choice, but I would definitely drink it again.

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

This beer poured a murky brown color with a rocky white head. The aroma is malty and smoky. The taste is malty and smoky. It has a welcome bitterness as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and it leaves an oily coating on the tongue. Overall, this is a well balanced and flavorful brew – definitely recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Cloudy and dark: Tea color with no head and no lace.
S: Deep-roasted hops with a butter biscuit scent.
T&M: Mild, but mouth opening butter flavor. Leaves the pallet full. Tends to have a sweet butterscotch flavor toward the end.
D: Wasn't sure if I was going to like this one, but if the enchanting lady on the label is any indication...this one is a stunner!

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Hazy copper orange. Not very thick. Medium white head with good retention.

S: Sweet and malty.

T: Lots of malt flavor, especially carmel. Slight hint of peaty smoke. Not very full bodied for a wee heavy. I was pleasantly surprised by the hop bitterness. This is kind of a Scottish ale/ British pale ale hybrid.

D: High. Very tasty.