Big Wave Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

good

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.40% ABV

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-19-2005)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.5/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona Brewing Company's Big Wave Golden Ale a couple days ago at the Lager mill. It's been a long time since I've had a beer from Kona and since they just entered our market I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I think it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy bright yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that faded to a thin ring fairly quickly and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I really liked the color, but I thought the head and head retention were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt, lightly grain, light bready and crystal malt like aromas. Up next comes the hops which impart a nice citrus hop aroma with a slight tropical fruit aroma showing up in the background. The aroma was pretty nice, I wasn't expecting such a nice bright fruity hop aspect.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart those same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the bready and grainy hops being the first to show up. Up next comes the hops which are much lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart a very light citrus hop flavor with an equally light floral hop flavor. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a grainy, bready and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the taste was more like the aroma.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. the mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a solid example of a Blonde/Golden Ale, it had most of the aspects that I would expect from the style, it had a pretty bright aroma, but I found myself wishing it tasted more like it smelled. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these when it's warm out, but I think after two I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that taste, it came off a little bland and I wish it was a little more like the aroma. I might buy this beer if I want an easy drinking beer, but I don't think it's something that I need to keep in the fridge and I think it's worth trying at least once, but I doubt it will be an instant favorite. I think it's a nice beer to enjoy in warm weather. All in all I thought this was a fairly solid beer, it wasn't the most memorable, but for a Golden Ale I thought the aroma was pretty memorable and it had a pretty even amount of pros and cons. So far this is my favorite beer from Kona, but it isn't a favorite of the style. Nice job guys, this was a nice easy drinking beer, keep up the solid work.

3.64/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #68 (Spetember 2012):

LOOK: Pale gold, massive white foam head.

SMELL: Fruity, grain, honey

TASTE: Smooth, light-ish body, light sweetness, cereal grains, fruity, mildly tropical, toasty, honey finish

If the average non-beer geek drinker were to close their eyes and imagine what beer might taste in Hawaii, they might expect to taste something like this beer; a light ale with seemingly tropical fruity notes. Decent and drinkable.

STYLE: American Blonde Ale
ABV: 4.4%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

A: A pale golden beer with good clarity. The white head is made of rocky bubble having a fiar head retention.

S: moderate malt sweetness that has fresh baked bread character along with a light peach fruitiness. It has a moderately-light citrus and pineapple hops aroma.

T: There is an initial malt sweetness with a very-light bready malt flavor. It has a moderately-light hops bitterness and light citrus and tropical fruit hops flavor. There is a light bit of fruitiness. The balance is somewhat bitter with a medium-dry finish. There is a light citrus aftertaste.

M: The is a medium-light bodied beer with moderately-strong carbonation.

O: An easy drinking, light bodied beer that would be nice and refreshing on a hot day. Would pair with seafood, chicken and lighter food.

4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden with a thin white head.

Smell: Hops with a light citrus and wheat smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of wheat with hops and light citrus after taste.

Overall: Good beer to go with my fried seafood.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.