Big Wave Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

good

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.40% ABV

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-19-2005)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona Brewing Company's Big Wave Golden Ale a couple days ago at the Lager mill. It's been a long time since I've had a beer from Kona and since they just entered our market I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I think it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy bright yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that faded to a thin ring fairly quickly and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I really liked the color, but I thought the head and head retention were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt, lightly grain, light bready and crystal malt like aromas. Up next comes the hops which impart a nice citrus hop aroma with a slight tropical fruit aroma showing up in the background. The aroma was pretty nice, I wasn't expecting such a nice bright fruity hop aspect.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart those same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the bready and grainy hops being the first to show up. Up next comes the hops which are much lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart a very light citrus hop flavor with an equally light floral hop flavor. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a grainy, bready and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the taste was more like the aroma.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. the mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a solid example of a Blonde/Golden Ale, it had most of the aspects that I would expect from the style, it had a pretty bright aroma, but I found myself wishing it tasted more like it smelled. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these when it's warm out, but I think after two I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that taste, it came off a little bland and I wish it was a little more like the aroma. I might buy this beer if I want an easy drinking beer, but I don't think it's something that I need to keep in the fridge and I think it's worth trying at least once, but I doubt it will be an instant favorite. I think it's a nice beer to enjoy in warm weather. All in all I thought this was a fairly solid beer, it wasn't the most memorable, but for a Golden Ale I thought the aroma was pretty memorable and it had a pretty even amount of pros and cons. So far this is my favorite beer from Kona, but it isn't a favorite of the style. Nice job guys, this was a nice easy drinking beer, keep up the solid work.

04-22-2014 03:30:01 | More by StoutHunter

KYGunner

Kentucky

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured with, of course, a golden color that had a general thinness about it. The head was fizzy and thin but it held a nice bit of lacing.

The nose is a light herbal hop of pine and lupilin. Not much else comes out.

The flavor is a light and refreshing Pilsner malt, with a cracker, dough and breadiness. The hops are mostly pine but it has a touch of lemon.

The feel is very light but never watery, refreshing and quenchable.

I actually drank this at home but would have loved to have had it at the beach as it does a good job of giving out enough flavor but holding that thirst quenching personality.

07-18-2014 23:24:06 | More by KYGunner
nicholas2121

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big Wave Golden Ale brewed by Kona Brewing Co with an ABV of 4.4% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice thick white head. The smell is bitter with some grains. Nothing special about the smell of this brew. The taste is different- it is spicy but smooth. I'm not really picking up on the bitterness in this brew. There is a nice balance to this brew. The end to this brew is clean with a nice finish. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Mouthfeel is nice. Kona Brewing Co. did a nice job with this one. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.25 out 5.
I would get this brew again.

07-18-2014 04:28:23 | More by nicholas2121

07-17-2014 23:21:22 | More by HalsP944
tillmac62

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

BOD 4/11/14. Pours a clear amber that is slightly beyond golden with a faint hint of red. Normal head with weak lacing retention. Excellent nose of tropical hops (mango, passion fruit) over a light biscuit sweetness. Almost light medium bodied with an above normal carbonation level that effervesces nicely on the finish. The taste profile is well balanced between hop flavor and sweetness. It is more spicy than tropically oriented, which is surprising based upon the hop bill and nose, over a nice biscuit sweetness background. The finish is crisp and effervesces into a tropical peppery note.

07-17-2014 19:17:57 | More by tillmac62

07-16-2014 00:36:52 | More by Sheepdog2169
Caveworm

3.24/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co. A fitting choice to yet another day of asphyxiating humidity here in Ohio. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew has no head, barely any lacing, and a clear golden body.

I smell malts with perhaps a sweeter tropical aroma as well. Not roasted malts either, very lively. All in all, it smells like it will be a refreshing brew.

The taste has also got a slightly sweeter tropical hint going on here. Just VERY slightly. Other tastes include a lighter malt complex and virtually no hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Sure hits the spot on a hazy scorcher like today. Smooth and clean.

Overall a solid 3.25 for Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co. Its very light and refreshing. Just a little TOO light, or I would've ranked it higher. But in summation a very good quencher. Not life changing, just above decent. I may buy this brew again

07-15-2014 05:12:57 | More by Caveworm
Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.