Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Big Wave Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-19-2005

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Wave Golden Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 225 | Hads: 1,439

I enjoyed this beer on a recent trip to Honolulu Hawaii... Had it at a company event with an open bar.. Very very tasty. I chose this because it being an open bar selections were limited. Normally I drink regular American Budweiser as my staple beer. But as the Bud Light version was only available I figured "when in Rome"...
I have never seen this beer or any of the Kona Brewery offerings here in Texas so I was interested in what I had in store for me.

This beer is AWESOME.... It is supremely Island fare.. Lightly bodied, very flavourful, easy to drink. It is very "typical golden". Fruity malty notes all over it.. So refreshing when ice cold. And it gets more pronounced as it warms..
Overall this beer is a top selection for any occasion. I'm not sure if its available in Houston because I have yet to see it anywhere.
I can guarantee you that if I find this locally I will be enjoying it on a regular basis.. Might have to put on flip flops though, just so it feels right.

How this could he anything less then a 5 blows my mind. Light, crisp, refreshing, and that hint of island that makes you feel like your in hawaii. Very unique.

4.81/5  rDev +36.3%

Extremely light feel, incredibly floral smell, most notable feature of this beer is the finish.. Almost tastes of hibiscus. A truely incredible beer for a golden! A beer you can defiantly sit and cruise through allll dayyy lonnng! Perfect for a day on the boat with good friends!

4.77/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My "go to" beer, one of my favorites. Clean, crisp, and smooth yet has enough character to keep it interesting. To me, it is what I base all other golden ales on.

4.56/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amazing citrus nose on this. There’s very little to not like about this beer. It’s smooth, refreshing, easy drinking, slightly bitter and sweet. I mean how do they do it?

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The "notes" above describe this beer well.
I tried it yesterday among several other beers, and this one was my favorite.
It's very "refreshing," not heavy at all, yet has a great smell and flavor. My girlfriend was the one who ordered this one and I kept reaching for her glass, smelling it and taking a sip.
A very "fun" beer, not "in your face" at all, just fruity, bubbly and fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

Pours a clean, clear, golden color with an off-white head.

Smell is of mango juice and ocean breeze.

Taste is light, slightly sweet and thirst-quenching. Malt prominently comes in towards the end, balancing with the aroma hops. Carbonation is pretty high at first, but a few minutes of off-gassing and warming up lend itself well to this beer. The finish is of biscuit malt.

I really like this beer! It’s really drinkable, refreshing, and quite balanced. My favorite Kona Brewing Co beer!

4.39/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours a slightly hazy golden color with a thin white head.

It smells of apricot, citrusy hops, with a hint of honey sweetness.... very pleasant

The taste is full of bready malt, honey, a touch of grapefruit, with a hint of toasted biscuit that lingers with mild hop bitterness in the finish.

This brew is very well balanced with impressive flavor and aroma considering the session strength ABV. I really enjoyed this beer ,which could become a summertime staple for me.

4.39/5  rDev +24.4%

Im not normally a fan of light ale, but this beer was better than any light ale i can think of. It is in line with a good pilsner.

1.Appearance: Nice head, not too carbonated with a yellow/copper consistent to a pilsner.

2. Smell: A lemon citrus smell, not overpowering like a blue moon or other citrus ale type.

3. Taste: Fantastically refreshingly light. This will be my qualty "coors light" go to day beer.

4. Mouthfull: A light beer but enough hoppyness to be an Americanized "Hawaiian" type German pilsner.

5. Overall: I might have scored this too high becouse of my lowered expectations. But, it is exactly what i would want in a light beer "coors light take notice" as to how it should taste. ( reference; I've never liked their logger and loved their kona porter )

4.34/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Light copper/gold in color,with a decent cap of white foam.
Aroma-Subtle citus hops, tropical fruit notes
Taste-Fruity citrus hops, soft pineapple note, underlying citrus rind. Well-balanced, smooth, fresh and tasty. Fish tacos would fit the bill nicely.

4.31/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a fluted pilsener glass.

Look: Clear golden body with slowly rising bubbles. Foamy white head that leaves massive sudsy lines of lacing.

Aroma: Spicy hops that bring a woodsy cedar note, with lots of citrus in the way of lime and subtle grapefruit peel.

Taste: A little more subdued than the aroma, but the same bright citrus zest with more of an orange flavor coming through. A softer malt presence brings down the sharpness of the hops as compared to the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Clean, bright, light bodied.

Overall: Quite delicious, very refreshing with loads of citrus zest.

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. This is not a bad way to begin the day - with a Blonde!

From the bottle: "Since 1994, Kona Brewing Co. has been committed to making handcrafted ales and lagers of uncompromised quality."; "We invite you to visit our brewery and pubs whenever you visit Hawaii. Mahalo!"; "Fresh, Responsible, Always Aloha"; "Catch a Wave! Year-round, the waves that roll onto Hawaiian beaches are some of the best in the world. Catch the crest of a breaking wave and ride it all the way in. Our sun-drenched Big Wave Golden Ale is a smooth, refreshing brew, inspired by what makes Hawaii great."; "Liquid Aloha".

The Blonde and I were both beginning to sweat in anticipation, or maybe it was just attributable to the heat and humidity, but I was quick with the pour. The pseudo-cascade died down, creating two fingers of rocky, bone-white head that began to fall, leaving nice lacing in its wake. The color was a bright, sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4), like liquid sunshine in my glass! This would be far more heartening on a dreary winter day, but it was already hot and humid here in my kitchen. Nose was very fruity - peaches, mangoes, papaya, guava, even coconut. Aloha, honey! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was entirely fruity, like Juicyfruit chewing gum or a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers. My my. I stand behind all of the fruits that I mentioned on the nose with the exception of coconut. I may have been hallucinating on that one. Finish was semi-sweet, not quite semi-dry, but quite refreshing on this occasion.

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Citrus smell and taste, lighter bodied with a hint of peach, goes down easy. Great beer for a hot summer day. This has become my go to beer of the summer.

4.27/5  rDev +21%

A-Pours a beautiful light golden brown, a white head but the retenation isn't great goes away after a few seconds, not much lacing at all

S-Smell of citrus, hops, honey, and I even get little hints of pineapple

T-Roasted grains, hops, honey, it finishes a little bitter than turns sweet

M-Not very carbonated, very smooth but not light thats for sure

D-Very drinkable, This is a beer that I could drink all night long

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was on-tap at the Astros spring training facility in Kissimmee, FL. On a hot 90+ degree day where I literally turned red from sunburn, I couldn't have asked for a better beer. It was a good hoppy while being exceptionally refreshing and having a clean finish. I walked away very impressed. I really like the Kona offerings.

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A good citrusy hop aroma. There's just a touch of grapefruit in the flavor, but it's held back enough so it doesn't slam you in the head with bitterness like it does in some IPAs.

4.16/5  rDev +17.8%

I was fortunate to have visited the Kona brewery pub and drank a few glasses of this beer.

The beer poured a golden yellow with little aroma.
Nice taste and after taste
Very smooth but not at all over powering, very drinkable.

This is a great tasting dinner beer.
I recommend trying this beer.

4.14/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampling right now on 2/11/15. Comes in a 12 ounce bottle. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled-glass thumb print stein.

Brew pours a golden-yellow in color with a thinner white foamy head. Some spotty lacing is seen when sipped that sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of some yeast, grass with a hint of fruit even. More going on with the taste as there are some light hops, grass and hay. Very tasty and goes down easy. Lighter-bodied with perfect carbonation. Really liked this brew and a easy solid "8" if not a "8.5" Hang ten baby!

4.12/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A grand citrus like floral scent for an amazingly drinkable beer. The malts will grab the taste buds quickly flowing to the finish of this beer where the smooth citrus and almost herbal tones will sit in the back of your nose throughout, to aftertaste. So drinkable as would be Hawaii itself if it were a beer, a true vacation in a bottle!

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

A-golden yellow with a slightly sticky white head

S-bitter grains and cooked vegetables. Smells pretty good actually. Strong scent.

T-comes in with a very crisp and smooth taste of slightly bitter grains. Theres also a taste of cooked vegetables added. I don't mean that in a bad way. It's good! There's a matching after-taste. It's a solid flavor.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a slightly dry finish

O-this is a pretty decent beer. It's very mild yet the flavors are actually quite bold. I could put a lot of this down for sure, though it wouldn't be my beer of choice. It's just an interesting try really.

4.09/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with a moderate effervescence and a clear body. Head is a thin layer of frothy white foam without much retention. Not particularly remarkable to look at.

Smell: big fruity hop aroma with pineapple, tangerine, and grapefruit. There's a light layer of malt underneath. I really like it.

Taste: grainy malt flavor with a big shot of fruitiness right at the beginning. Sweet and smooth with citrus and pineapple flavors. Quite good.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a moderate carbonation and decent creaminess. Not bad.

Overall: I rather like this beer. Stylistically, it's pretty fruity for a golden ale, but I quite enjoy the blend of fruity flavors they managed here. I'm going to hark back to the days of rating a beer's drinkability and say that, overall, this beer is awesome.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone restaurant pint glass
From: Vons in Normal Heights (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $12.79 for a variety 12-pack
Purchased: June 15, 2013
Consumed: June 15, 2013
Misc.: Born on date of April 25, 2013

Poured a golden yellow clear color with two fingers of frothy white head. Pretty good foamy spiderweb foamy lacing on the sides. Very good retention all the way down on the top.

Very surprised with the smell. Was expecting a watery honey flavor, but got a mix of floral hops and citrus hops. Got grapefruit and I think tangerine as well. Got some honey as well. Very nice.

Taste wasn’t quite as good as the smell, but decent nonetheless. Got a toned down version of the floral hops and citrus hops. Watery grapefruit, sweet floral notes.

Light body. Thin texture. Average-to-soft carbonation. Abrupt watery finish. Clean, crisp and refreshing.

I can’t believe how good this beer was. A very nice pleasant surprise.

4.07/5  rDev +15.3%

On tap at the brewpub in a shaker pint. Glowing gold with a bright white frothy head. Good retention, scattered wet and drippy lacing.

OK, so blonde ales don't exactly command a ton of respect, but for the style this one's pretty damned good. Aromas of orange and lemon zest mix and mingle with a healthy dose of lightly toasted grains. The crisp and refreshing mouthfeel is not a surprise, but the hearty flavor is, and a pleasant one at that. Plenty of citrus midswallow, with grassy notions here and there. These fade away toward the finish, which is quite clean. Pleasantly toasty from beginning to end, with just a touch of sweetness to the malts.

Overall impression: Nicely constructed brew here. Easy recommendation.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Golden yellow with nice carbonation and lacing.

Smell: Fresh banana, lemon, and pine. A bit salty as well. Excellent, especially for a blonde.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Bubblegum, pine, and vanilla. I actually really like the flavor a ton. Starts a bit thin, but crisps up nice with a dry finish.

Overall Drinkability: I was extremely surprised how much I liked this, especially given my lukewarm reaction to their other light beers, Longboard and Fire Rock. Thumbs up!

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a stubby bottle into an oversized pilsener glass. A moderately aggressive pour brings about a good one inch of frothy, snow white lace. The head is characteristically sticky for this brewery- this one is just a bit stickier than their lager, leaving plenty of lacing and preserving billowing islets of foam. The beer is golden and a little hazy, with light carbonation confined mostly to one side of the glass.

I detect plenty of delicate floral and citrus aromas and flavors which makes the beer seem a bit sweeter than it really is...A touch of light berry flavor is also noticeable- something like a very light raspberry flavor. Very creamy mouthfeel with just a little bit of lingering bitterness.

This stuff is easy drinking and a real taste treat. The last entrant in the Kona beer kick. This beer was purchased as part of a variety 12 pack for around 14 bucks at Three Bears Alaska (cheap!).

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.