1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Big Wave Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

good

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.40% ABV

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-19-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Wave Golden Ale Alström Bros

2.38/5  rDev -33%

Pours yellow, large white head. Smell: pure macro lager. Ugh. Taste slight skunk, overly sweet, unpalatable, sickle, and there's little to nothing "blond" about it.

Just not a good brew, and I never would have guessed that I was drinking an ale. Watery, not very drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona Brewing Company's Big Wave Golden Ale a couple days ago at the Lager mill. It's been a long time since I've had a beer from Kona and since they just entered our market I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I think it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy bright yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that faded to a thin ring fairly quickly and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I really liked the color, but I thought the head and head retention were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt, lightly grain, light bready and crystal malt like aromas. Up next comes the hops which impart a nice citrus hop aroma with a slight tropical fruit aroma showing up in the background. The aroma was pretty nice, I wasn't expecting such a nice bright fruity hop aspect.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart those same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the bready and grainy hops being the first to show up. Up next comes the hops which are much lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart a very light citrus hop flavor with an equally light floral hop flavor. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a grainy, bready and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the taste was more like the aroma.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. the mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a solid example of a Blonde/Golden Ale, it had most of the aspects that I would expect from the style, it had a pretty bright aroma, but I found myself wishing it tasted more like it smelled. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these when it's warm out, but I think after two I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that taste, it came off a little bland and I wish it was a little more like the aroma. I might buy this beer if I want an easy drinking beer, but I don't think it's something that I need to keep in the fridge and I think it's worth trying at least once, but I doubt it will be an instant favorite. I think it's a nice beer to enjoy in warm weather. All in all I thought this was a fairly solid beer, it wasn't the most memorable, but for a Golden Ale I thought the aroma was pretty memorable and it had a pretty even amount of pros and cons. So far this is my favorite beer from Kona, but it isn't a favorite of the style. Nice job guys, this was a nice easy drinking beer, keep up the solid work.

3.64/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had the Kona Big Wave on tap at Salt Life Grille in Jackson Beach. This is a great updated take on seafood shack. Check it out!

Served in a standard pint glass, the beer is a chill hazed gold with a skim of white foam.

There are apricots and grains in the nose. Blind folded I would have guessed Magic Hat #9.

Taste also leads with apricot. There is a nice floral undertone and some caramel malt. Everything hung together well with this beer.

Mouth is well calibrated for a hot weather beer.

Change of pace beer for sure. But I ended up drinking four over the course of a leisurely two hour eating and drinking session.

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date stamped on it right on the bottom of the front label. The only thing I don't know is whether that's a born on date or an expiration date.

The beer poured a clear champaign color, sort of like gingerale gold. The half finger of white head dissipated quickly and there wasn't much lacing.

The beer has both a pleasantr hoppy smell as well as an unpleasant barnyard smell.

Well, well,well - what do we have here? A hop dominated blonde ale. Slightly bitter grapefriut/lemon flavor tempered with a kiss of sweet honey.

Light bodied with medium high carbonation.

It's alright, but I like my blonde ales to be fruitier and maltier.

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Grabbed in a mix a six.

Pours golden clear with fluffy white foam. good head. Pilsy smell. Clean uncomplicated. Light line of hop woven throughout. Smooth. Just a mellow, run of the mill blonde ale. Nothing remarkable or offensive.

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%

Kona Big Wave Golden Ale has a fairly thick, rocky, off-white head, a clear, golden appearance, lots of streaming bubbles (etched glass), some lacing, and little white specks floating throughout. The aroma is of fruit (think pineapple), faint bread, and mild sweetness. Taste is all of those, with a strong tap water note. Bitterness is mellow and pleasant, but ho-hum, to an extent. Mouthfeel is between light and medium, and Kona Big Wave Golden Ale finishes dry, crisp, refreshing, lager-like, and drinkable. Overall, this is alright, and I suppose it’s worth checking out.

RJT

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

3.69/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It is straw colored with a chill haze to it. I got a fleeting off-white head that settled to a skim.

S - The smell is floral and fruity with a hint of caramel malt.

T - The taste has the floral hops aspect. That is the main flavor. It's like drinking potpourri.

M - Moderate to medium

O - It is actually better than I anticipated. My friend a macro drinker loved it when he had it in Hawaii. I bought a sixer for him and snuck (sneaked) one. I was not in a hurry to try any Kona beers, but this one was decent enough to make me want to try some others.

3.4/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a clear golden color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. Very bubbly in texture, it doesn't have the best retention. A nice ring of lacing sticks to the glass, though.

S: There are some subtle tropical notes I'm really digging. Lychee, mango, melon, and papaya come through nicely, with lesser notes of pine and mint. Crackery malts also come through.

T: The malts come through to start - very much like white bread, in a way. It finishes more interestingly, with a combination of tropical hops (and yes, there's a subtle juiciness to it), table sugar, and cream. The main flaw with this is that it tastes rather 'restrained'. Still, it doesn't do anything wrong, either.

M: Really refreshing and light in body. The crisp bite makes it go down spectacularly on a hot day. Maybe it could be drier, but who cares. Just fizzy enough, too.

O: I don't think it's as interesting as it could be - typical for a Kona beer, its trump card is how light and refreshing it is. Flavor-wise, it could have accomplished more, especially considering it uses Galaxy and Citra (two of my favorites). This will definitely make my rotation for hot weather duty, though.

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A hazy golden color beer. The head was white and fizzy and fades to a simple collar. Small streams of carbonation rise slowly to the top.
The aroma was mostly of hops. They had a fresh and dank smell. Smelled nie.
Taste was thin and watery with some hops and grainy malts. The hops wern't as noticeable as in the nose but still had a desent taste.
The beer drank dry and almost abrasive, but felt flat and lifeless on the palate.
Over all it's a good beer especially for the summer months with it's easy drinking and low alcohol. Take it to the shore.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.