Big Wave Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-19-2005

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Wave Golden Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 235 | Hads: 1,483
3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

From my mind notes. I asked if it was an IPA, waitress said yes...she was obviously wrong.

A - Light golden body, not terribly clear, low head retention and lacing.

S - Really mild aroma, pretty neutral but tilted toward malt. Reading the ingredients now, I would say the honey is detectable. Hops are low as per style, however at the time I was surprised.

T - Again a pretty neutral body, hops were detectable but grassy. Body was somewhat bready, grainy and a little sweet.

M/D - Light body despite the honey or maybe because of the honey. Easy to drink, pretty tasty. Obviously brewed to appease the non beeradvocate tourists who want a taste of the local brew, not a bad thing, not a bad beer.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

On-tap at the Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina, Hawaii. Served in a pint glass.

Looks just like your typical lager, straw-colored and clear with little to no carbonation. Not very much lacing either. Some maltiness in the smell, along with very faint traces of citrus and fruitiness. Not bad.

Maltiness carries over into the taste, along with a very slight twinge of bready flavoring. Just a light bit of bitterness, which suits me just fine. The finish has some fruity nuances, including banana and pineapple. They become more evident as the beer warms up a bit, and were definitely a pleasant surprise. Not too much of an aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit heavier than expected, but still pretty light with some decent carbonation.

I could easily have knocked back a few more of these, thanks to the pleasant taste. Very nice complement to the stellar burgers served at Cheeseburger in Paradise.

3.17/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottled on June 2, 2010 at 6:45am (early!), making this beer only a month and a half old. Nice!

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Standard pour yielded a small, loose, white head that completely fizzled away in seconds. Body is clear and pale gold with no visible carbonation. A quick swirl reinvigorates the head, but only temporarily. This beer has zero head retention. No lacing to speak of either, but that's not too surprising for a blonde ale.

Smell: Sweet, clean grains and lemon rind are the first aromas I get. Following further inspection, I get leafy vegetation and faint alcohol. A little boring, but certainly suits the style.

Taste: Grainy and toasty, with grassy hops forming a surprisingly bitter finish, for the style anyway. Whole grain cracker (like whole grain bread, but with a touch of salt) is the most distinct flavor component. Not as sweet as I had hoped or expected, though the hoppy bitterness sort of makes up for it; I'd rather have a more balanced blonde though.

Mouthfeel: Actively carbonated, chewy, and light-bodied. Sturdy bitterness adds to the mix, and lends to a fairly pleasant, long-lasting aftertaste. Lots of good stimulation for such a light ale! Carbonation could be toned down just a bit, but I dig this mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Easy-going and inoffensive. Actually got better toward the end of the bottle, but it was still forgettable. This is a good purchase for a summer barbecue or similar outdoor gathering.

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Blonde ales aren't usually my thing, but this was the default choice when compared to the BMC lineup at a restaurant while staying in Oahu.

Was having a bunch of seafood for dinner, and thought this would be a nice matchup & palate cleanser.

Nothing too out of the ordinary here. Typical blonde ale appearance, not much of a hop note on the nose. Good mouthfeel though, and definitely provided way more body than the usualy Am. adjunct lager. I don't have any complaints here though, if you are looking for a light tasting beer but still want some flavor and character, this would be a decent choice.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden yellow color, light aroma, reasonably carbed, and overall generally seems like a BMC with a little extra flavor. Its fairly boring to be honest, but that's the style. Worth drinking if you're looking for something light and has a lot of flavor considering that its a blonde.

4.16/5  rDev +17.8%

I was fortunate to have visited the Kona brewery pub and drank a few glasses of this beer.

The beer poured a golden yellow with little aroma.
Nice taste and after taste
Very smooth but not at all over powering, very drinkable.

This is a great tasting dinner beer.
I recommend trying this beer.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

12 ounce bottle, a buddy brought some island brews back for me on a recent trip to Hawaii. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours a hazy light gold color with about a half inch white head which went away quickly. Lacing is average. The aroma is light, it smells like bready malt, honey, and a bit of fruit. The taste is exactly the same as the aroma, I can taste the bit of fruitiness in this beer but I can't figure out exactly what kind of fruit it is. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it seems a bit slick with decent carbonation. It's still light, but had more substance than I expected. Drinkability is decent, it's not hard to drink at all. Not a bad brew, but it's not my favorite of the Kona beers I've tried.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Reviewed on 11-13-09
Cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Cloudy golden yellow, fair amount of carbonation, less than half of a finger of foam

S - Sweet malt smell reminds me of a citrus smell. Little hop smell

T - light bodied, malt aftertaste, not to overpowering on the malt, pretty smooth going down

M/D - To me a light bodied brew, sweet malt taste with little malt aftertaste. Finished pretty smooth though, not bad from Kona, not my favorite from Kona but for sure it's worth trying. I could enjoy a couple in one sitting.

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

On tap at a restaurant in Honolulu. served in a chilled weizen glass.

A: pale golden color with streaming bubbles and a thin white foam. settles into a thin ring quickly, with some decent lacing.

S: caramel malt and yeasty bread dough. that's pretty much it. would have liked even some subtle floral or fruit aromas, but I didn't pick up anything along those lines.

T: all malt- not bad, just uninteresting. a fairly basic brew.

M: probably the best thing I can say about Big Wave is that it goes down smooth with a bit of dryness in the finish. a bit more medium bodied than I was expecting as well.

D: again, not a bad beer, just very simple. on a hot day and in the absence of other options, I wouldn't cringe at having a Big Wave in front of me. I wouldn't seek it out though.

4.27/5  rDev +21%

A-Pours a beautiful light golden brown, a white head but the retenation isn't great goes away after a few seconds, not much lacing at all

S-Smell of citrus, hops, honey, and I even get little hints of pineapple

T-Roasted grains, hops, honey, it finishes a little bitter than turns sweet

M-Not very carbonated, very smooth but not light thats for sure

D-Very drinkable, This is a beer that I could drink all night long

2.76/5  rDev -21.8%

A coworker snagged this for me on a recent trip to Hawaii. Thanks, Liz.

Pale gold with a quickly vanishing white head. Decent lacing.

Smells like... well, not much at all. I'm picking up basically no aroma.

Flavor isn't bad. Tastes a bit like an all-malt lager. It's got a smooth malt presence, though nothing spectacular. Hops are pretty much non-existant. Not bad, though.

Mouthfeel is decent. Medium bodied and goes down smooth.

Drinkability is average. There's not much to this beer, but it's also wholly inoffensive. It didn't set my nethers tingling, but I didn't want to puke and die either.

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Gotta say, on draft in the chilled glass of which I usually do not drink beer in, this beer is very good. I look forward to my stops in Hawaii just so I can get the Big Wave on tap.

Appearance: It certainly is golden in the glass.

Taste: Sweet, refreshing, and just easy to drink

Kona Big Wave Golden Ale taste a bit like a commonly produced beer, but with it drinkability and when you can get it on draft I would drink a large quantity and have when in Hawaii.

My favorite of the Kona Brewing Company beers. Delicious... I love it. Probably one of my favorite beers (small beers) of all small beers. Fantastic.

2.36/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours yellow, large white head. Smell: pure macro lager. Ugh. Taste slight skunk, overly sweet, unpalatable, sickle, and there's little to nothing "blond" about it.

Just not a good brew, and I never would have guessed that I was drinking an ale. Watery, not very drinkable.

2.92/5  rDev -17.3%

imported to china by ACBP www.realbeer.com.cn

stamped on neck with 1/18/2008. importer's label also has bottling date

poured into tulip

deep golden honey color with orange and copper hues. relatively clear, though the second half of the bottle brings some haze and yeast sediment. some head, but quickly fades to a few wisps and a ring. no lacing.

faint aroma of citrus peel, with malt note underneath. some other fruity nuances (peach), then some phenols. whiff of grassy hop. hint of bread and yeast.

taste is too dominated by medicinal phenols, throughout and especially in the finish. underneath, some malt and fruity subtleties, plus a snappy hop bitterness, but it all gets lost and distracted by the medicinal character.

not too thin. moderate carbonation.

that's three strikes for kona. sorry to say. although i guess maybe i'll give them another chance, since american blonde ale is such a crap style anyway.

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

Next-door neighbors vacationed in Hawaii and brought me back a 6-pack containing three of these. Many thanks, as I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to get my hands on this any other way. Marked with a "pkgd on Apr 09 08" stamp on the neck.

Poured into a pilsner glass. Refrigerator temp.

Appearance - Yellow/Golden coloring with a slight haze. A one-inch head formed upon initial pour. As it settled, a nice lacing retained to the glass. A more than ample ring remained, fed by the faint small carbonation. Does look inviting.

Smell - Malty/grassy nose. Mild aroma that didn't expand much beyond the glass. I also catch the sent of cloves and also a bit of a fruit aroma as well.

Taste - some malt, some wheat/grain flavoring as well. A sweet brew with an almost pear/apple finish. Didn't catch much of a hop presence at all.

Mouthfeel - I was suprised at to how thick it was to the tongue. My intial thoughts were that it would be a mild/weak body. Not the case. Lasting presence as well.

Drinkability - Not sure. This almost had the feel of a wheat beer to me. A lot of flavors going one coupled with mild hop presence may make this a favorate with the malty "lawnmower beer" crowd.

The first of the several beers I tried while in Maui. Pours a hazy golden color with very little head. Sweet fruity tasting with a touch of bitter hops. Not overly flavorful but there's enough there to be a refreshing brew. I did however feel it was a little too sweet and could have used more hop flavor. Still pretty good in that Hawaiian sun, but what isn't?

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Pint at Moose McGillicudy's in Kihei and Lahaina while I was in Maui a couple weeks ago, reviewed from notes, think I also had a bottle of this earlier that week

A-Light golden orange color, 1 1/4 inch creamy white head, nice retention, not much lacing
S-Sweetness, caramel, toffee, and bready malts, some orange peel, mild hoppiness, and a hint of fruit juice
T-Starts off with a bit of sweet fruits, malt is also on the sweeter side in the middle, then some very light hops in the finish, gets more flavorful as it warms and juicy fruit becomes more prominent, could have used more dryness to balance it out, still different from any blonde I have ever tried and quite surprising
M-Sweet, chewy, and a little dry mouthfeel, needs more carbonation and was a little on the syrupy side, medium body that was impressive thickness for a blonde, taste lasts pretty long
D-ABV seems low, light on the stomach except for the occasional heaviness from the sweet accents, nice session beer, goes down pretty easy

This is the one beer that Kona bottles and does not send over to California, so that explains why I had never seen it, not bad for three dollars during happy hour at the Moose, that place reminded me of the old one in Redondo Beach, would drink again, recommended

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Didn't think Hawaii would have good beer, but they do, and this stuff is made to take you through long lazy days fucking around at the beach. This one poured a golden orange. Smelled a bit of orange peel and malts. Light bodied and drinkable yet had some tastiness so didn't become boring. Tasted of malts and maybe some slight fruitiness and hops coming through and finished smooth and satisfying.

3.46/5  rDev -2%

Had this at a bar in Lahaina walking around doing tourist stuff.

Poured a very light golden color. Moderate fizz.

Aromas of....carbon dioxide, slight malt.

Very light body, clean aftertaste from the carbonation. Malts are subdued but heavier than I expected for a Gold. Balanced with hops fairly well, slight lingering bitterness. Mild hop aroma that I can't make out over the malt. Very smooth and clean.

Good for a hot day. If you are in Hawaii and just want a local brew go for the Fire Rock Pale Ale first.

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

On tap. Nice aroma. Appearance is a golden color covered by a White creamy head with great lacing, very nice for a Hawaiian brew. Aroma is nice and flavor is refreshing but watery and thin body. Great way to start off my Hawaiian [Beer] Trip. Aloha!!

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on tap after a round at Luanna Hills Country Club. Pretty clear, and golden in color. Thin white head disappeared pretty quick.

A bit grainy in the aroma. Pretty pale. Reminded me of a pale wheat. A bit of fruit as it warms, but not much.

Seemed a bit tart, with some astringent-like notes. A bit of fruit and grainy.

Light body, with ample carbonation. Not a whole lot here, but oddly enough, I found this to be rather refreshing, (maybe it was the dozen balls I lost on the course). Not very exciting, but decent.

While watching the sunset and having dinner here in Kauai, this Golden Ale tasted fantastic.

First when I got it at my table, the color was of a hazy golden yellow with very little foam.

The smell of fruit,spice and citrus along with a hint of malt, filled the nose with a very plesant aroma the whole time. There was times that everytime I would take a sniff or a sip the flavor just kept me intrigued.

The taste of all the above just kept coming back. I really like this Golden Ale from Kona Brewing. I've had it in bottle and now in draft and I'll tell you that their is a difference in flavor and aroma between the two. I would rate the draft Golden Ale far above the bottle.

2.55/5  rDev -27.8%

Got this from my sister-in-law who went on her honey-moon in Hawaii. Never would have been able to try this beer in WI so I finally opened it. Poured into a pint glass this was a light golden color. Not much of a head at all and no lacing. This beer has a very sweet smell and a little citrus. Upon tasting this beer had a very thin and almost watery taste. Not much to it at all. I suppose with intense heat on the beach it may be a nice change from the mass produced Mexican beers, but here in WI it doesn't have much appeal. I am glad I got to try it, but I am not too impressed. Maybe if I make it to the big island I will give it another shot?!

3.67/5  rDev +4%

Found on-tap at LuLu's Surf Club in Waikiki (see my separate review for that establishment which I added). I was with my sons, we had 3 on-tap Hawaii beers brought to us (Fire Rock Pale Ale, Kona Big Wave Ale and Longboard Lager). We each seemed to prefer a different one-- my older son preferred this one, and my least-choice. I had it again on-tap later at another establishment, and I liked it better that time.

A= modest head that dissipated quickly, lighter pale-golden with a slight bit of a cloudy haze.

S= light honey-malt nose with something like candy-apple.

T= modest hops-bite and the same honey-malt taste with some candy-apple. Slight smoky taste.

M= fine, nothing obtrusive unless you just plain don't like a slight hops-bite.

D= very drinkable if you like the first one.

3.02/5  rDev -14.4%

16 oz draft on-tap in a weizen glass at Bubba Gump's Maui.

Golden-copper in colour and hazy. Off-white head is 1/8 inch when it first arrives, but receds to a thin ring around the edge.

Light malt and caramel with Pacific North West (citrus/grapefruit) hops in the aroma.

Smooth with a bit of a tart bite. Refreshing on a hot Maui afternoon. Hop profile is stronger up front and fades through to the finish. The caramel malt is most prominent in the middle with a tartness showing through at the end.

Medium bodied with moderate amounts of tiny pin prick carbonation.

Not bad, but not great. Still, a nice refreshing beverage on a hot day in the Pacific.

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.