Big Wave Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

good

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.40% ABV

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-19-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Wave Golden Ale Alström Bros
2.36/5  rDev -33.5%

Let's pop the top and pow- a whiff off a pine needles in a week old laundry basket that neutralizes the appearance of a thick head, lacing that sticks to the glass and rising bubbles.

The aroma combined with the light honey, hint of tea and salt on the tongue doesn't do it for me. However it does finish clean. Tried one slightly warmer and another colder; sadly it does not get any better. Food pairing- I do think this might work in a steak marinade.

Maybe coming from half way across the globe adversely changed the beer. That being said I find it overhyped and not all that. Not recommended.

Honestly if this style is considered to be influential introducing people to craft beers, I'll go all the way over and say I'd prefer a passable AAL or Euro lager almost every time.

I feel so dirty.

2.38/5  rDev -33%

Pours yellow, large white head. Smell: pure macro lager. Ugh. Taste slight skunk, overly sweet, unpalatable, sickle, and there's little to nothing "blond" about it.

Just not a good brew, and I never would have guessed that I was drinking an ale. Watery, not very drinkable.

2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

2.53/5  rDev -28.7%

Got this from my sister-in-law who went on her honey-moon in Hawaii. Never would have been able to try this beer in WI so I finally opened it. Poured into a pint glass this was a light golden color. Not much of a head at all and no lacing. This beer has a very sweet smell and a little citrus. Upon tasting this beer had a very thin and almost watery taste. Not much to it at all. I suppose with intense heat on the beach it may be a nice change from the mass produced Mexican beers, but here in WI it doesn't have much appeal. I am glad I got to try it, but I am not too impressed. Maybe if I make it to the big island I will give it another shot?!

2.59/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Bottle into mug

This one pours crystal-freaking clear, the color of coors banquet--maybe a little darker, but not much. A nice little white bubbly head tops it off. Smells of grassy and citrusy hops, but not strongly enough: I leaned in further to get a better whiff and my nose got wet. I inhaled some foam but detected no more powerful aromatics. I guess Big Wave is just a super clean, weak-smelling brew. An adjunct corny flavor comes through in the taste. I could almost mistake this ale for Bud Light Platinum... It is a bit bready but very lightly malted with a thin consistency. The mouthfeel leaves something to be desired.

I suppose this is Kona's attempt at an ale that is sessionable and easy-drinking. The fact that I could drink this all night without getting drunk merits a 2.75 overall score, since it's much better than most 4.4% beers such as Keystone Light..

The pilsner-style malts, though very weak, make this one taste almost like a lager. Overall, it is just watery.

2.6/5  rDev -26.8%

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.