Big Wave Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

good

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-19-2005

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Wave Golden Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,347 | Reviews: 248
2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Let's pop the top and pow- a whiff off a pine needles in a week old laundry basket that neutralizes the appearance of a thick head, lacing that sticks to the glass and rising bubbles.

The aroma combined with the light honey, hint of tea and salt on the tongue doesn't do it for me. However it does finish clean. Tried one slightly warmer and another colder; sadly it does not get any better. Food pairing- I do think this might work in a steak marinade.

Maybe coming from half way across the globe adversely changed the beer. That being said I find it overhyped and not all that. Not recommended.

Honestly if this style is considered to be influential introducing people to craft beers, I'll go all the way over and say I'd prefer a passable AAL or Euro lager almost every time.

I feel so dirty.

3.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Started off with the beer in the bottle. No fancy glass. The bottle is aesthetically pleasing. Initial taste is light and flavorful. Smooth, but nice amount of carbonation. Alcohol content is on the lower side - allows you to enjoy the taste a bit more. Hint of sweet, and hint of hops. A good summer time beer.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured with, of course, a golden color that had a general thinness about it. The head was fizzy and thin but it held a nice bit of lacing.

The nose is a light herbal hop of pine and lupilin. Not much else comes out.

The flavor is a light and refreshing Pilsner malt, with a cracker, dough and breadiness. The hops are mostly pine but it has a touch of lemon.

The feel is very light but never watery, refreshing and quenchable.

I actually drank this at home but would have loved to have had it at the beach as it does a good job of giving out enough flavor but holding that thirst quenching personality.

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big Wave Golden Ale brewed by Kona Brewing Co with an ABV of 4.4% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice thick white head. The smell is bitter with some grains. Nothing special about the smell of this brew. The taste is different- it is spicy but smooth. I'm not really picking up on the bitterness in this brew. There is a nice balance to this brew. The end to this brew is clean with a nice finish. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Mouthfeel is nice. Kona Brewing Co. did a nice job with this one. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.25 out 5.
I would get this brew again.

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

BOD 4/11/14. Pours a clear amber that is slightly beyond golden with a faint hint of red. Normal head with weak lacing retention. Excellent nose of tropical hops (mango, passion fruit) over a light biscuit sweetness. Almost light medium bodied with an above normal carbonation level that effervesces nicely on the finish. The taste profile is well balanced between hop flavor and sweetness. It is more spicy than tropically oriented, which is surprising based upon the hop bill and nose, over a nice biscuit sweetness background. The finish is crisp and effervesces into a tropical peppery note.

3.24/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co. A fitting choice to yet another day of asphyxiating humidity here in Ohio. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew has no head, barely any lacing, and a clear golden body.

I smell malts with perhaps a sweeter tropical aroma as well. Not roasted malts either, very lively. All in all, it smells like it will be a refreshing brew.

The taste has also got a slightly sweeter tropical hint going on here. Just VERY slightly. Other tastes include a lighter malt complex and virtually no hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Sure hits the spot on a hazy scorcher like today. Smooth and clean.

Overall a solid 3.25 for Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co. Its very light and refreshing. Just a little TOO light, or I would've ranked it higher. But in summation a very good quencher. Not life changing, just above decent. I may buy this brew again

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Pours clear golden; small white head of about a finger diminishes rapidly

S: Smells sweet. Hints of citrus, pineapple and mango from the hops. Relatively promising

T: Hint of hop bitterness. A bit of citrus but not a ton of flavor from the hops. Way too sweet for a beer of this sort. A bit of butterscotch as well (diacetyl?) Seems almost under-attenuated. Not great.

M: Sweetness leads to this being a bit heavier tasting than anticipated at 4.4%.

O: A highly flawed, but serviceable session beer. Sweetness gets a bit grating and the flavor of the hops doesn't shine as much as the aroma would suggest but better than some similarly styled brews, but not by much.

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. This is not a bad way to begin the day - with a Blonde!

From the bottle: "Since 1994, Kona Brewing Co. has been committed to making handcrafted ales and lagers of uncompromised quality."; "We invite you to visit our brewery and pubs whenever you visit Hawaii. Mahalo!"; "Fresh, Responsible, Always Aloha"; "Catch a Wave! Year-round, the waves that roll onto Hawaiian beaches are some of the best in the world. Catch the crest of a breaking wave and ride it all the way in. Our sun-drenched Big Wave Golden Ale is a smooth, refreshing brew, inspired by what makes Hawaii great."; "Liquid Aloha".

The Blonde and I were both beginning to sweat in anticipation, or maybe it was just attributable to the heat and humidity, but I was quick with the pour. The pseudo-cascade died down, creating two fingers of rocky, bone-white head that began to fall, leaving nice lacing in its wake. The color was a bright, sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4), like liquid sunshine in my glass! This would be far more heartening on a dreary winter day, but it was already hot and humid here in my kitchen. Nose was very fruity - peaches, mangoes, papaya, guava, even coconut. Aloha, honey! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was entirely fruity, like Juicyfruit chewing gum or a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers. My my. I stand behind all of the fruits that I mentioned on the nose with the exception of coconut. I may have been hallucinating on that one. Finish was semi-sweet, not quite semi-dry, but quite refreshing on this occasion.

3.47/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at one of the local grocery stores.

A: Pale, translucent gold with moderate head and poor retention.

S: Hop forward with some citrus. Slightly floral.

T: Noticeable sweetness. A decent blend of malt and hop.

M: Very crisp. Light and refreshing.

O: A decent beer. It doesn't look all that great, but improves from there.

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

This golden ale is my least favorite of the kona brews. Going inot this I am not a fan of golden ale. The pale, pitiful yellow color reminds me of budweiser. Luckily, the beers smells much better. Once I take a swig I am again reassured that this is much more than a cheap domestic. Hints of citrus in an otherwise bland unsurprising swig. I like it though its somewhat refreshing. overall I rate this beer 3.00 okay. I would not recommend this to a friend however I would recommend this if your other options are unfavorable or unknown. Try it at least once, right?

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a clear golden color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. Very bubbly in texture, it doesn't have the best retention. A nice ring of lacing sticks to the glass, though.

S: There are some subtle tropical notes I'm really digging. Lychee, mango, melon, and papaya come through nicely, with lesser notes of pine and mint. Crackery malts also come through.

T: The malts come through to start - very much like white bread, in a way. It finishes more interestingly, with a combination of tropical hops (and yes, there's a subtle juiciness to it), table sugar, and cream. The main flaw with this is that it tastes rather 'restrained'. Still, it doesn't do anything wrong, either.

M: Really refreshing and light in body. The crisp bite makes it go down spectacularly on a hot day. Maybe it could be drier, but who cares. Just fizzy enough, too.

O: I don't think it's as interesting as it could be - typical for a Kona beer, its trump card is how light and refreshing it is. Flavor-wise, it could have accomplished more, especially considering it uses Galaxy and Citra (two of my favorites). This will definitely make my rotation for hot weather duty, though.

3.67/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #68 (Spetember 2012):

LOOK: Pale gold, massive white foam head.

SMELL: Fruity, grain, honey

TASTE: Smooth, light-ish body, light sweetness, cereal grains, fruity, mildly tropical, toasty, honey finish

If the average non-beer geek drinker were to close their eyes and imagine what beer might taste in Hawaii, they might expect to taste something like this beer; a light ale with seemingly tropical fruity notes. Decent and drinkable.

STYLE: American Blonde Ale
ABV: 4.4%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer pours pale golden in color with a medium white head and is almost but not quite crystal clear. Pleasant, mild, floral hop aroma. Flavor is in line, mild and neutral. Somewhat fizzy, but drinkable. Slightly nutty grain flavor pleasantly complemented by tropical fruit hop flavors. This beer mostly succeeds in being inoffensive and drinkable. The exception, of course, is that it's really too boring to be a session ale.

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden with a thin white head.

Smell: Hops with a light citrus and wheat smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of wheat with hops and light citrus after taste.

Overall: Good beer to go with my fried seafood.

3.44/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very clear, pale golden-yellow, it does look like a blonde. The head is about half a finger tall, pure white, and densely bubbled. It leaves behind more than a modicum of spotting that clumps up to patching in areas.
It's a little grainy on the nose, pale malts and toast in there along with tangy and sweet fruitiness, a bit of spiciness and some leaf.
It's a little stronger in the taste and not quite as grainy. The main takeaway for me is lots of fruity esters, pale fruits flesh with a hint of something not quite plummy. Biscuit and leaf meld together pretty well.
It's light, very crisp, and creamy in the carbonation. It could be a little cleaner in the feel from the grains, and it dries a little early,

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Light yellow and slightly hazy with a white cap that starts about a half inch with a vigorous pour and fades to an eighth inch. Big on floral and tropical fruit notes on the nose very light bittering, reminds me a of hopped up version of a wheat beer. Very sessionable would be great to have in a cooler on the beach in Kaua'i soaking up some rays. Pick one up if you're looking to add some tropical feel to the next time you lounge in your hammock.

3.89/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a slightly/cloudy, but mainly clear medium golden color. has a nice white head that is about 3/4 of an inch thick when first poured that eventually settles to a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass with little spots of foam here and there but not much lacing. Aromas of floral citrus and some minerally grassyness. Has a slightly sweet malt flavor upfront that gives way so some nice citrus zest in the hops. More citrusy in the hop department than it is bitter. Rounded with with a bit of herbal mineralness. Has a crisp and smooth, medium bodied motufeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Easy to drink in the way good beer should be. AN excellent beer for the first warm weather evening that Cleveland has had in about 7 months!

Eric

3.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a glass .

A-3/4 inch white head, nice inviting golden color

S-rich fruity flavors

T-tastes how it smells, good citrus flavors present, including aftertaste

M-water but well carbonated

O-very good golden ale! I'll definitely get it again

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 10:41-MAR 14 14. Sampled on May 1, 2014.

The pour is golden yellow with a white fizzy head that settles back quickly. Excellent clarity.

Blondes can be rather bland but there is a likable grainy malt character playing up on the nose with a clean, crisp hop balance mixed in. Feels inviting.

Medium and smooth body.

Light grainy and toasted malty taste up front and then the grassy hops come in with a bit of a bitter kick at the finish. Neatly balanced. It went down quick and smooth.

3.04/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Straight from the bottle. I had maybe 4-5 of them.

Inoffensive and lackluster aroma. Thin and watery on the palate, Not much on the finish. I could drink this all day long and get a decent buzz without getting out of control. I think of this brew as a high-end Corona.

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona Brewing Company's Big Wave Golden Ale a couple days ago at the Lager mill. It's been a long time since I've had a beer from Kona and since they just entered our market I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I think it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy bright yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that faded to a thin ring fairly quickly and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I really liked the color, but I thought the head and head retention were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt, lightly grain, light bready and crystal malt like aromas. Up next comes the hops which impart a nice citrus hop aroma with a slight tropical fruit aroma showing up in the background. The aroma was pretty nice, I wasn't expecting such a nice bright fruity hop aspect.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart those same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the bready and grainy hops being the first to show up. Up next comes the hops which are much lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart a very light citrus hop flavor with an equally light floral hop flavor. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a grainy, bready and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the taste was more like the aroma.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. the mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a solid example of a Blonde/Golden Ale, it had most of the aspects that I would expect from the style, it had a pretty bright aroma, but I found myself wishing it tasted more like it smelled. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these when it's warm out, but I think after two I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty nice and I thought it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that taste, it came off a little bland and I wish it was a little more like the aroma. I might buy this beer if I want an easy drinking beer, but I don't think it's something that I need to keep in the fridge and I think it's worth trying at least once, but I doubt it will be an instant favorite. I think it's a nice beer to enjoy in warm weather. All in all I thought this was a fairly solid beer, it wasn't the most memorable, but for a Golden Ale I thought the aroma was pretty memorable and it had a pretty even amount of pros and cons. So far this is my favorite beer from Kona, but it isn't a favorite of the style. Nice job guys, this was a nice easy drinking beer, keep up the solid work.

3.59/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A floral and fruity beer. Slight citrus hints that pull all the flavors together. Malty flavors that pull everything together. Great for the hot summer days that you want a different beer. Has a great finish, but not too over powering leaving you wanting to drink more.

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A grand citrus like floral scent for an amazingly drinkable beer. The malts will grab the taste buds quickly flowing to the finish of this beer where the smooth citrus and almost herbal tones will sit in the back of your nose throughout, to aftertaste. So drinkable as would be Hawaii itself if it were a beer, a true vacation in a bottle!

4.81/5  rDev +34.7%

Extremely light feel, incredibly floral smell, most notable feature of this beer is the finish.. Almost tastes of hibiscus. A truely incredible beer for a golden! A beer you can defiantly sit and cruise through allll dayyy lonnng! Perfect for a day on the boat with good friends!

3.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a soft white head. A bright, floral aroma with slight citrus notes. This really smells fantastic. Golden with a slight haze. Starts effervescent, almost fruity. A flash of grassy hops, then there is a wave of smooth malt that comes through. Finish is sweet malt, biscuits, and a slight fruitiness.

I really, really like this one. It's like an Ale version of a nice Wisconsin Lager; simple, malty, and refreshing. It's just so drinkable. I could easily take a 6-pack of this and enjoy every sip.

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.