1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Da Grind Buzz Kona Coffee Imperial Stout - Kona Brewing Co.

Da Grind Buzz Kona Coffee Imperial Stout
No picture uploaded.

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: atigerlife on 12-04-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 26 | Reviews: 12 | Show All Ratings:
BeerManDan

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

The color when poured into a pint glass was a clear light brown, hardly any foam. The smell of roasted malts, with light hops and a toasty coconut coffee aroma is what caught my attention. The taste was like the aroma, toasted coconut, kona coffe and mild hop flavor. Not to bitter, but, has a nice balance of sweet/bitterness on the palate. For a porter, this is tasty and would buy it again!

03-16-2012 22:35:21 | More by BeerManDan
Duffman929

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Had on tap in Kona at the end of Jan as part of a flight.

A: Has a dark black color to it and had a small froth on top. Could not see through the glass

S: Smell of coffee, vanilla, and chocolate.

T: Very wonderful combination of slight alcohol, malt, coffee, and vanilla. Much smoother than what I was expecting to taste.

M: Not highly carbonated and medium feel. I was doing my best to work through the minor intoxication I was already feeling from the flight.

D: Best beer I had on the island and more of what I was expecting out of the Pipeline Kona infused porter. I would love to get some bottles.

03-04-2012 13:22:59 | More by Duffman929
paulozanello

Brazil

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the brewpub in Oahu.
Pours a dark brown almost black color with a very creamy light brown head with amazing retention and wonderful lacing.
Smell is dark malts and coffee. Nothing really impressive.
Taste starts with dark roasted malts and a big coffee bite. Finishes very dry and kind of adstringent, with the coffee roasted bitterness and probably some hop presence.
Mouthfeel is extremely smooth, I wonder if this was a nitro-tap.
Carbonation is moderate to low and the body is way too low for the style. Feels like a Guinness with loads of coffee. It drinks fairly well.
Overall a nice coffee stout but I've had better ones.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-20-2011 04:51:55 | More by paulozanello
Haybeerman

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep, dark brown; no light comes through - even on the edges. Poured a 1 finger coffee-colored head with good retention. Lace sheets down the glass and dissolves.

S: Rich, bitter coffee and dark chocolate. Hint of vanilla and burnt toast. Alcohol.

T: Intense coffee and chocolate flavors. Complex toasted malts transform as the beer warms a bit. Mild spicy hops. Smooth ahead of warming alcohol that intensifies the bitter.

M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Smooth and coating while flavors penetrate the tongue.

D: One and done, but I'd have it again. The ABV and rich flavors dictate that. For an RIS as drinkable as they come.

11-02-2010 15:22:31 | More by Haybeerman
vandenbochi

Hawaii

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a wonderful tasting beer. I don't really enjoy coffee, but this beer had a perfect beer to coffee taste ratio. A great after taste as well. Worth a visit to the brewery if you are in Kona Hi.
I recommend this as an after fine dining brew. Be sure to take in the aroma before your first sip.

02-07-2010 08:29:58 | More by vandenbochi
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at the Holiday Ale festival yesterday.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with very good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this beer is very impressive. I get a huge nose of vanilla and chocolate, coupled with significant coffee as well. Flavors replicate the nose perfectly in this lovely beer, and I love how rich, viscuous and thick tasting this beer is. Mouthfeel is equally impressive; the beer is rich, full bodied and has a very long finish. Drinkability is very good, with the alcohol well disguised. Also, while moderately sweet, there is enough underlying bitterness to keep the beer from tasting heavy or tiring on the palate. Really, it was all I could do to keep from gulping this down. Just delicious and one of the hilights of the festival.

12-04-2009 22:28:43 | More by johnmichaelsen
arizcards

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I had this beer on tap at the brewery while I was on vacation last week.

Beer pours black with a very thick tan long lasting head. Nose is of Kona coffee beans and chocolate malts. Taste is roasted coffee and chocolate blending nicely into a hop finish smoothed out by the Kona coffee. Mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth. Drinkability is very good despite the ABV being so high. This is definitely my favorite Kona brew!

02-17-2009 00:15:20 | More by arizcards
Furball

It's been a long time since I had a beer like this...

Pours dark with a slight coffee head.... in fact, it really is like my morning coffee, but with a head.

The first smell is coffee and espresso. I know that i'm gonna love this just from the smell. It is as if He has read my mind and blended my two favorite beverages. There is a great, rich earthiness in the nose. This is what you dream of waking up to on a Saturday morning.

The taste is just like the smell. You get just a bit of alcohol bite in the beginning... more the espresso side of the drink... but it quickly becomes a very bold, rich coffee taste which lingers. Perhaps a bit of tobacco in the aftertaste.

The head doesn't linger long, and this beer only gets better as you drink it. Don't look for complexities.... it tastes just as it's advertised. Possibly pair it with a few pieces of dark chocolate, but to honest, the sugar would kill it. What this beer craves is just sitting in the hot tub.... possibly a good, mild cigar.... and utter contemplation.

07-25-2007 04:53:28 | More by Furball
SacoDeToro

On tap at the Pizza Port 2006 Strong Ale Fest.

The beer poured a deep coal black with a small brown head.

The aroma of the beer was full of rich coffee, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and some faint vanilla. The high alcohol helped carry the aroma brilliantly.

The flavor of the beer was full of intense flavors that transitioned well from one to another. Coffee - Chocolate - Rich roasted malts. The hops were there in good presence, but reasonably mellowed.

The mouthfeel was thick, but not too heavy. It coated your mouth with a ton of flavor. The carbonation seemed dialed in well.

This is a great beer and a very drinkable RIS. Cheers to Kona for cranking out a solid coffee infused beer.

04-05-2007 21:43:19 | More by SacoDeToro
drseamus

4.83/5  rDev +15%

I had this beer on tap at the brewery while I was on vacation there. The worst thing about this beer was that they don't bottle it and they didn't have it available in growlers while I was there. I made sure to stop back at the brewery right before I got on the plane to have one last pint. It's that good. It pours jet black with a very thick mocha head that sticks around for a while. The smell is great and reminds me of smelling ground coffee beans, chocolate malt grain, and black patent grain. It is exceptionally creamy with coffee, roasted, and chocolate flavors. Many of the coffee stouts that I have had an associated bitterness with the coffee, but the use of 100% Kona beans seems to have eliminated that bitterness. It has an excellent full body. The only reason that I don't give this a perfect drinkability is that the ABV is so high. This is probably my favorite Kona brew. I wish I was back in Hawaii now...

01-21-2007 03:57:34 | More by drseamus
TurdFurgison

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

I had a glass on tap at the Kona Brew Pub (Koko Marina location on Oahu). It was predictably black with a tan head, looking like an imperial stout should. The smell was thick with coffee, like Breakfast Stout but maybe not as strong. It was a really good aroma anyways, and the flavor was a strong and rich (sweet malts and coffee).

The mouthfeel was really nice and thick, the beer felt like a milkshake.

I liked it, I recommend it, I think you have to go there to get it (not bottled to my knowledge).

11-13-2006 07:03:53 | More by TurdFurgison
atigerlife

Hawaii

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

1/15/07 Just had again, same place. Still a very good beer. The head was so thick I could eat it with a fork. I'm guessing it has a nitro tap. IMHO still their best brew. Very impressive.

Original Review:
Drank on tap at the Kona's Hawaii Kai restaurant.

I had never heard of this beer until I asked the waitress if she had anything besides what was listed on the menu. I'm glad I asked!!

A beatiful dark, opaque beer. Wonderful brown, creamy head that lasted as long as the pint.

The smell is coffee. Pure and simple. Roasted malts also in there.

The taste is amazing. Like drinking liquid coffee ice cream. Roasted malts shine through. A slight bitter coffee aftertaste. Very rich. Some dark chocolate.

Suprisingly light mouthfeel. Not overpowering.

Overall, this beer is a outstanding. Perfect at the end of a meal with dessert or by itself. Not a beer to drink all night, but quite impressive for the style. A very impressive addition to Kona's lineup. If you ever get the chance, definitely order this one.

Serving type: nitro-tap

12-04-2005 20:58:56 | More by atigerlife
Da Grind Buzz Kona Coffee Imperial Stout from Kona Brewing Co.