Pipeline Porter - Kona Brewing Co.

Pipeline PorterPipeline Porter

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Iguana on 10-11-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pipeline Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 688 | Hads: 1,711
1.34/5  rDev -64.8%

I picked this one up today and first my wife took a sip and made a really ugly face and said it was horrible. I tried it and agreed. The aroma was thin but smelled of bitter old cofffee and nothing else. The only detectable flavor was watered down coffee. It wasn't bitter or hoppy, it was just nothing. Very dissapointed in this one. Actually poured it out. I'm glad I only bought one. Lagunitas Cappacino Stout blows this away,

1.7/5  rDev -55.4%

ovrall nothing to write home about i was told it went down smoothed but i dont think it , it has coffee in it could of fooled me this beers offers nothing to me this beers lacks everything no taste no moment of oh yes i must drink it all night or again but no skip it enjoy thier vannilla one this brings nothing to the table leave it in the car

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

Bottle courtesy of CBA: Poured a medium black color porter with coke-like carbonation and a very small foamy head that disappeared way too quickly. Aroma of weak coffee notes with some light roasted malt as well. Taste is comprised of weak malt with some roasted bitter notes and some weak coffee notes. Body is way too watery for the style with some low carbonation. I’m not sure if I had a bad bottle but this is definitely not too good.

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

Poured into a tulip pint from a bottle

Appearance: Dark brown with reddish edges, nearly opaque, and nearly no head despite purposely vigorous pouring. No lacing. If it wasn't for the darkness it looks like a glass of cola. Disappointing.

Smell: Bitter coffee with very slight smoky malt notes. Punches the nose with coffee and little else.

Taste: I can kind of appreciate beers with some added flavoring to enhance inherent bitterness or hops, but this just tastes like pale ale with a whole bunch of weak coffee. If anything saves this beer it is a light smokiness on the back end. However, I can't call it "balanced" due to the overwhelming coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Too thin for a Porter. Moderate carbonation. Lacking the creaminess and stickiness of a good porter.

Overall: Just tastes like some kitschy coffee flavored ale, go for it if you're into that kind of thing.

2.34/5  rDev -38.6%

A - brown around the edges but a nice solid head.

S - coffee start, but it seemed to get a bit bitter in scent.

T - malty taste with a little coffee. The overall flavor is not very deep.

M - a little too thin. Very mild tingle on the front side of the tongue.

D - the shallow flavor and thin feel would not make this a brew that I would reach for.

2.41/5  rDev -36.7%

i'm not sure if i got an older bottle of this or what, but i was surprised to see such high reviews of this beer.

A- looks great a dark rich black with a dark carmel head, though a thin head.

S- strong coffee smell. pure coffee very pleasant best part of this beer.

T- tastes of iced coffee in the bad way. If i didn't know better i wouldn't have thought this a beer.

M- terrible. flat and thin. i would rather be drinking day old mcdonald's iced coffee than this.

D- if it wasn't so flat and thin this beer would be decent at worst and great at best. the flatness and thinness ruin it for me.

2.46/5  rDev -35.4%

I chucked this shit in the freezer to make it ice cold for my Chimay chalice. Opened with barely a hiss because it was so cold. It poured out dark as night and created a coffee ice cream colored head after halfway through pouring I went totally inverted. The head disappeared five minutes later leaving little islands of bubbles.

Holding it up to the light I can see dark ruby colors dancing in my glass. I can feel it's icy cold breath on my nose as I pull it in closer for some more sensory curiousity. Still too cold to drink I see, the coffee aroma smells more like freezer burn right now.

Moments later I could smell that freshly brewed cup of coffee sitting in my chalice. I decided to dive in for a nice chug. Oh yeah! That is refreshing...for a few seconds. Feels like water going down. Coffee turns way too bitter and flavorless at the end. Could've had something to do with the 4 months it sat in my basement. Whatever...

A deepy roasted aroma is starting to procure from the beer. I like it. It's not a strong aroma at all. A little muted. I just can't get past that bitter aftertaste. Sticks to my teeth. And I love coffee too! WHATUPWITDAT!

2.46/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I had this on-tap at the Houston Gingerman without being told about the coffee in it. I'll just say it now that I don't like cold coffee or those iced coffee things.

A - Poured a black color with a thin tan head that quickly fades

S - Smells like a pint of cold watered down coffee

T - Has a very strong black coffee flavor that nothing else really came through to me

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - I can say that I won't be revisiting this beer anytime soon it was very hard for me to drink this beer stay away unless you like cold black coffee

Reviewed 4/4/2009 (Draft at Hans' Bier Haus):

Pours a very dark reddish color body, small tannish head, some lacing and lasting. Strong coffee and chocolate aroma, some roastiness. Strong smoke and coffee taste roasted chocolateness. Watery palate. Smokey roasted aftertaste. As it warms up it tastes worse.

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

Meh, Meh, Meh... unfortunately the deep brown body and light milky head are as far as I go in appreciating this beer. The smell leaves me searching, and trying again. Cola, possibly roasted malts and maybe some chocolate summarize my view of the main body of taste of this beer. I am NOT a fan, and found it dificult to finish my 4oz taster... in fact I think I didn't.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: unk

A: brown with a transient light tan sheet all but disappears in a minute leaving etched mirror surface. No lace.
S: coffee, black olive juice, some faint ink.
T: Cold pressed coffee, some bitter cocoa, some cardboard.
M: Thin with moderate on hi carb and semi dry finish.
O: Meh. Drinkable, but below average IMO.

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a light black color with 1/4 inch of light tan head that had low retention and OK lacing, a fairly average looking beer.

The aroma had mostly malts and just a hint of roast, blandly typical. The flavors were a bit more pronounced, the malt a bit fuller and the roast a touch more noticeable, but was also blandly typical.

The body and drinkability were both typical and average for the style. Overall, this was a slightly below average beer, not terrible by any means, but also not note-worthy or memorable.

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Maybe I bought a bad six of this style. Totally not impressed....could not find the coffee taste, thought the overall taste was thin and watery. Would choose this only if it was the only Porter available. I will probably give it another chance seeing it is available at a good cost at my location.

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

Kona Pipeline Porter: Some friends brought this brew over for a dinner party. Up front, I want to be clear that I am not a fan of flavored beers. The Pipeline Porter is brewed with coffee. My preference would be to have a Porter, then let me add coffee to my liking (or not). So you may like this Porter, but due to the strong coffee properties, it does not get high marks from me. The color is black, the head is thin, offwhite and fades quickly. Aroma is primarily coffee, with some roasted malt backing it up. Flavor is the same, lots of coffee and big roasted malt. There may be a great porter hidden under all of the coffee flavor, but I just cannot tell.

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Coffee takes center stage in aromatics w/ lingering roasted malts in the background. No hop/esther aromatics.

A: Pours Dark brown w/ a minimal white/tan head that quickly dissipated.

F: Coffee and roasted malts, no hop/other flavors. Coffee overpowers everything as far as taste goes.

M: Minimal in body, low carb, no creaminess, astringent from the coffee.

O: While this beer is brewed to style, there are a few minor flaws that could be addressed: Aroma is overpowered with coffee: I would have liked more of the malt character to shine through. The coffee is good, but I believe that balance is important. Flavor is also overbalanced with the coffee, almost to the point where I believe I'm drinking a cup of coffee and not a beer. M: I believe that with an increase in malt character/presence that the body will greatly improve.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured into a nonic tumbler from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Poured a very dark typical porter color, with a paper thin off white head. Lacing was slighty clingly but spotty.

S: Upon opening the flavors were hard to pick up, as it warmed it was sweet with roasted malt and coffee that began to increase.

T: The coffee was present but took a while to characterize itself especially since it is supposed to be coffee infused beer. The malts and coffee were there just not enough as I had expected or wanted.

M: The beer was thinner than I would have liked especially for the style. Much more carbonation than I expected which hurt the overall flavors imho.

D: If you enjoy thinner porters with above average "fizz" you might enjoy this more. I think it is easy drinking but disappointing needs more body.

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a bottle into glass.

Surprisingly lighter color - at least in the pour - but for a a coffee porter, I was expecting something darker. In the glass, it looks much darker.

Tan foam, again more than I expected, though it dissipates quickly. Fizziness and sound almost like pouring a coke.

A bit too carbonated for me.

The taste definitely confers coffee, but more toward the end of the drink and aftertaste. The front end of the drink is not as good, but beyond bland, tastes a bit too beer-y for a porter (for me).

Overall, an extremely average porter for me, maybe even a little disappointing. I think what did me in, is I am hoping for a silky, thick, dark motor oil of a beer with a coffee porter, but this just didn't deliver.

2.77/5  rDev -27.3%

hanks to Abecall98 for providing this in a recent trade. We exchanged 12 packs of local singles and this was one that came my way

Pours with very little head even after some coaxing. Dark shoe leather brown in color. NO lacing at all. Looks like Root Beer without the ice.

Aroma is all coffee, in fact there were Pearson’s coffee candies when I was a kid. Reminds me exactly of that.

I can’t believe I mentioned a soda in the visual area. As I taste it, it also reminds me a little of a soda. Perhaps an artificial sweetness coming through. It’s coffee, but not a great taste. Almost burnt/stale coffee. Hmm, this one isn’t working for me.

Body seems a little thin for my liking and the flavor profile. Carbonation is fine.

A little disappointed here.

2.78/5  rDev -27%

Poured in an imperial pint glass, the Pipeline Porter is pitch black with a slight off-white head that immediately dissipated to a large bubbled collar, with largely spaced, sticky lacing.
The aroma is a roasted burnt malt with a coffee and a touch of chocolate, and chalk.
The taste is bitter coffee and roasted malt, pleasant but fairly one-dimensional. There is also a strong earthy mineral taste, and no noticeable hops, other then the bitter aftertaste, which I really think is more coffee, certainly in taste.
The mouthfeel is fine for a porter, which are generally a bit thin for my taste. Could have used a bit more carbonation, probably quite nice on nitro.
The drinkability was not to high on this, the taste was a bit to astringent to want to really suck these down. Certainly not bad though.
All in all, it reminds me a lot of my homebrewed coffee porter, which is pretty damn good, but homebrew none the less...

2.78/5  rDev -27%

Pours a dark, black with a thin white head. Looks like black coffee. And... This really just tastes like mild black coffee. I know Kona coffee is revered for it's smoothness and natural sweetness but this is so thin. I'm a coffeegeek as much as a beeradvocate and I've tasted coffee with more complexity than this beer. I may be just used to all the BIG beer I drink nowadays but this tastes like the bud light of coffee porter/stouts.

2.82/5  rDev -26%

Dark ruby transparency. Some good coffee and roasted malt notes in the aroma. Taste is a bit of a letdown. The positive characteristics of the smell are replaced by a soapy water flavor with only a slight roasty aftertaste. Thin and tingly mouthfeel.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

This pours black with ruby highlights and a one finger khaki head rising and falling with little lace. On the nose there are goofy stale coffee grounds, not overpowering like in Bell's Java Stout but also with a lot less heft than that beer. In the mouth the coffee grounds come out a bit sour without much backing them up. Where is the body? This reminds me of Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter in that they are both thin, somewhat artificial tasting brews. This one is better than the other but that's not saying much. The finish is long with an acidic note hanging out longest.

Overall, I was disappointed by this brew. It was a struggle through a 6 pack, and that with using it as an extra in a trade with a guy who loves it.

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

A - black, light passes through bottom of glass. Thin tan head forms, and quickly recedes.

S - sweet malt, light roast, clean.

T - thin coffee flavour dominates, almost no roasted malt flavour, low bitterness, yet it's not sweet either.

M - comes across as thin and watery. First couple sips had an extremely dry finish, but gets better.

D - I suppose this would be a nice alternative to iced coffee, but as a beer it is nothing more than a curiousity.

Coffee character totally dominates, but the problem is that it's not even a good coffee flavour. Disappointing.

Thanks to Noxious26 for the bottle!

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours dark brown with a one finger light tan head. Fades quickly, minimal lacing

S- very mild notes of coffee and chocolate...mostly the chocolate. Not getting a ton of coffee out of this

T- very disappointing...the most major flavor I get is "cold". A little bit of coffee taste, but that's about it.

M- thin. Blah

D- really bland and boring. I expected a lot more out of this one, and didn't get it.

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Bottled 9/23/09.

Pours dark-ruby-brown into black with a thinnish khaki head on top that settles into some scattered suds fairly quickly. Not much in the way of lacing.

Nose is a mixture of light- to medium-roasted coffee and some light molasses-and-caramel sweetness underneath. Very light cocoa notes as it warms, and a light soapy presence as well.

Taste is a bit disappointing - coffee is very faint, standard roasty porter flavors aren't really that present either. Burnt caramel sweetness towards the finish is diluted, almost cola like. Faint presence of wet cardboard. I would have said this bottle was really, really old if the bottled-on date hadn't disagreed. Not good.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, light but coarse carbonation. Not much in the way of a finish. Drinkability is hurt by the fact that this beer (as in, what was in this bottle - may have gotten a dud, but it was only 2 months old. Seriously.) just isn't very good.

Pipeline Porter from Kona Brewing Co.