Pipeline Porter - Kona Brewing Co.

Pipeline PorterPipeline Porter

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Iguana on 10-11-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pipeline Porter Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -67.1%

Photo of
1.25/5  rDev -67.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.3/5  rDev -65.8%

I picked this one up today and first my wife took a sip and made a really ugly face and said it was horrible. I tried it and agreed. The aroma was thin but smelled of bitter old cofffee and nothing else. The only detectable flavor was watered down coffee. It wasn't bitter or hoppy, it was just nothing. Very dissapointed in this one. Actually poured it out. I'm glad I only bought one. Lagunitas Cappacino Stout blows this away,

1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

ovrall nothing to write home about i was told it went down smoothed but i dont think it , it has coffee in it could of fooled me this beers offers nothing to me this beers lacks everything no taste no moment of oh yes i must drink it all night or again but no skip it enjoy thier vannilla one this brings nothing to the table leave it in the car

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured into a tulip pint from a bottle

Appearance: Dark brown with reddish edges, nearly opaque, and nearly no head despite purposely vigorous pouring. No lacing. If it wasn't for the darkness it looks like a glass of cola. Disappointing.

Smell: Bitter coffee with very slight smoky malt notes. Punches the nose with coffee and little else.

Taste: I can kind of appreciate beers with some added flavoring to enhance inherent bitterness or hops, but this just tastes like pale ale with a whole bunch of weak coffee. If anything saves this beer it is a light smokiness on the back end. However, I can't call it "balanced" due to the overwhelming coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Too thin for a Porter. Moderate carbonation. Lacking the creaminess and stickiness of a good porter.

Overall: Just tastes like some kitschy coffee flavored ale, go for it if you're into that kind of thing.

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

A - brown around the edges but a nice solid head.

S - coffee start, but it seemed to get a bit bitter in scent.

T - malty taste with a little coffee. The overall flavor is not very deep.

M - a little too thin. Very mild tingle on the front side of the tongue.

D - the shallow flavor and thin feel would not make this a brew that I would reach for.

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

Bottle courtesy of CBA: Poured a medium black color porter with coke-like carbonation and a very small foamy head that disappeared way too quickly. Aroma of weak coffee notes with some light roasted malt as well. Taste is comprised of weak malt with some roasted bitter notes and some weak coffee notes. Body is way too watery for the style with some low carbonation. I’m not sure if I had a bad bottle but this is definitely not too good.

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

i'm not sure if i got an older bottle of this or what, but i was surprised to see such high reviews of this beer.

A- looks great a dark rich black with a dark carmel head, though a thin head.

S- strong coffee smell. pure coffee very pleasant best part of this beer.

T- tastes of iced coffee in the bad way. If i didn't know better i wouldn't have thought this a beer.

M- terrible. flat and thin. i would rather be drinking day old mcdonald's iced coffee than this.

D- if it wasn't so flat and thin this beer would be decent at worst and great at best. the flatness and thinness ruin it for me.

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

Reviewed 4/4/2009 (Draft at Hans' Bier Haus):

Pours a very dark reddish color body, small tannish head, some lacing and lasting. Strong coffee and chocolate aroma, some roastiness. Strong smoke and coffee taste roasted chocolateness. Watery palate. Smokey roasted aftertaste. As it warms up it tastes worse.

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

I chucked this shit in the freezer to make it ice cold for my Chimay chalice. Opened with barely a hiss because it was so cold. It poured out dark as night and created a coffee ice cream colored head after halfway through pouring I went totally inverted. The head disappeared five minutes later leaving little islands of bubbles.

Holding it up to the light I can see dark ruby colors dancing in my glass. I can feel it's icy cold breath on my nose as I pull it in closer for some more sensory curiousity. Still too cold to drink I see, the coffee aroma smells more like freezer burn right now.

Moments later I could smell that freshly brewed cup of coffee sitting in my chalice. I decided to dive in for a nice chug. Oh yeah! That is refreshing...for a few seconds. Feels like water going down. Coffee turns way too bitter and flavorless at the end. Could've had something to do with the 4 months it sat in my basement. Whatever...

A deepy roasted aroma is starting to procure from the beer. I like it. It's not a strong aroma at all. A little muted. I just can't get past that bitter aftertaste. Sticks to my teeth. And I love coffee too! WHATUPWITDAT!

2.43/5  rDev -36.1%

Meh, Meh, Meh... unfortunately the deep brown body and light milky head are as far as I go in appreciating this beer. The smell leaves me searching, and trying again. Cola, possibly roasted malts and maybe some chocolate summarize my view of the main body of taste of this beer. I am NOT a fan, and found it dificult to finish my 4oz taster... in fact I think I didn't.

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I had this on-tap at the Houston Gingerman without being told about the coffee in it. I'll just say it now that I don't like cold coffee or those iced coffee things.

A - Poured a black color with a thin tan head that quickly fades

S - Smells like a pint of cold watered down coffee

T - Has a very strong black coffee flavor that nothing else really came through to me

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - I can say that I won't be revisiting this beer anytime soon it was very hard for me to drink this beer stay away unless you like cold black coffee

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

2.6/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: unk

A: brown with a transient light tan sheet all but disappears in a minute leaving etched mirror surface. No lace.
S: coffee, black olive juice, some faint ink.
T: Cold pressed coffee, some bitter cocoa, some cardboard.
M: Thin with moderate on hi carb and semi dry finish.
O: Meh. Drinkable, but below average IMO.

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a light black color with 1/4 inch of light tan head that had low retention and OK lacing, a fairly average looking beer.

The aroma had mostly malts and just a hint of roast, blandly typical. The flavors were a bit more pronounced, the malt a bit fuller and the roast a touch more noticeable, but was also blandly typical.

The body and drinkability were both typical and average for the style. Overall, this was a slightly below average beer, not terrible by any means, but also not note-worthy or memorable.

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Maybe I bought a bad six of this style. Totally not impressed....could not find the coffee taste, thought the overall taste was thin and watery. Would choose this only if it was the only Porter available. I will probably give it another chance seeing it is available at a good cost at my location.

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Kona Pipeline Porter: Some friends brought this brew over for a dinner party. Up front, I want to be clear that I am not a fan of flavored beers. The Pipeline Porter is brewed with coffee. My preference would be to have a Porter, then let me add coffee to my liking (or not). So you may like this Porter, but due to the strong coffee properties, it does not get high marks from me. The color is black, the head is thin, offwhite and fades quickly. Aroma is primarily coffee, with some roasted malt backing it up. Flavor is the same, lots of coffee and big roasted malt. There may be a great porter hidden under all of the coffee flavor, but I just cannot tell.

Pipeline Porter from Kona Brewing Co.