Pipeline Porter - Kona Brewing Co.

Pipeline PorterPipeline Porter

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Iguana on 10-11-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pipeline Porter Alström Bros
SaCkErZ9

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Served on draft at the Kona Brewpub on 4/29/07. Pours a dark, not quite opaque black color with some streams of ruby and purple toward the bottom of the glass. Decent sized tan head forms and stays awhile but leaves no lacing.

Aroma is mostly coffee followed by chocolate and burnt and toasted malts. Some bready aromas as well. The Kona coffee certainly comes through here and I think it is just right: not too much, not too little.

Flavor profile mimics the aromas. Nice coffee flavor that is strong in the beginning but fades rather quickly from the palate. Toasted malts and more bready and oatmeal flavors.

I really liked this beer. Very interesting and the first coffee porter I have had. I had this in the bottle as well but the draft version seemed fresher and more aromatic. Both were delicious and recommend both.

05-07-2007 21:25:13 | More by SaCkErZ9
Naerhu

Japan

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

I was very pleasantly surprised to find this beer at the National Azabu Market in Tokyo.

A - Pitch black with, disappointingly, no head.
S - Coffee with soft notes of chocolate and sweet maltyness.
T - Light coffee flavors, mixed with lightly roasty, slightly sweet oaky barley flavors,. It has nice depth of flavor but nothing too forceful. I could see knocking back a six back of these with a rack of bbq'ed baby back ribs.
M - Light body, with average carbonation.
D - My first craft beer I had in a half dozen weeks, I loved every second of it.

05-05-2007 13:34:36 | More by Naerhu
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

12 oz bottle poured in a pint glass.

Obsidian black with walnut highlights. Dark beige head is 1/4 inch on pour. Reduces to a thin ring.

Aroma of dark roast coffee dominates. Sweet highlights and hints of burnt.

Mild flavour at the start. Light, sweet coffee. Finish is dark roast coffee with sweet highlights. Aftertaste is bitter coffee and burnt. Is this beer or coffee?

Medium bodied with light pin pricks of carbonation. Thinner than I would expect from the appearance.

Strong coffee flavour with little other complexity or highlights. Nice, but nothing special.

05-04-2007 23:48:23 | More by Noxious26
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

A moderate pour into my .4 liter chalice yielded a two-finger dark tan head over a nearly-opaque brown-black-red body. Head faded pretty quickly to a thin ring, leaving minimal lacing.

Smell is nice! Coffee on toffee. Vanilla and chocolate. Smooth and warm smelling. Coffee aroma is very dominant. Slight hint of cherry pipe tobacco.

Taste is malt and coffee. There *may* be a hint of pine hops in the background. Nice and smooth, though not as pronounced as the aroma.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side. Nice carbonation spreads the coffee aromas back up into the back side of the nose.

Easy to drink, with a pleasant coffee aftertaste.

Overall, the thin mouthfeel is a bit disappointing, but still this is a good coffee brew. I'd like to have my next one with some dark chocolate.

04-28-2007 03:44:06 | More by ColoradoBobs
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Thanks to flexabull for my birthday present. Bottled on 2/16/07. Pours dark brown, nothing special to look at. But man, that smell... it isn't the usual roasted, bitter coffee aroma. This beer smells just like a cup of joe. A very rich cup of joe.

This beer has huge coffee flavor without the bitter acidity that usually accompanies coffee beers. I wish I had some Kona coffee to drink next to this. The porter flavors are woven seemlessly into the dominating coffee flavors. The mouthfeel is well carbonated, and a bit thin. I want another one, I would trade for this again.

04-23-2007 22:56:21 | More by Sephiroth
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Average, very dark brown color. Low aroma-mild roast chocolate, no coffee aroma that I was expecting. Deep, rich malty flavor. Good dark chocolate flavor as well-no coffee anywhere to be seen. Very nice body-very full and satisfying. A decent porter but the absence of the coffee is a mystery to me after reading the label.

04-12-2007 00:35:37 | More by lackenhauser
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

review #300! woohoo!

got this bottle from alohaC as part of the BA Secret Bunny 2007. i actually tried and failed to find some of this when i was in hawaii for my honeymoon, so it's great that i finally got to try some. thanks christian!

12oz bottle, packaged FEB1607.

pours deep brown, not quite opaque. a bit of tan head comes up when poured, but then quickly drops to a fine ring around the glass.

aroma is great. roast. bittersweet chocolate. lots of coffee. bit of alcohol. touch of caramel. bread and biscuit malts.

taste is good. coffee. light roast, but it seems to come more from the coffee than the grain. med-low bitterness. light bittersweet and dark chocolates. hints of toffee and caramel. bready malts. really nice.

mouthfeel is good. carbonation feels a touch high. nice medium body.

drinkability is good. balanced and enjoyable. it's always a bit of a challenge combining a flavour into a beer. in this case, it seems like the porter is a little less robust than it could be, letting the coffee show through nicely. even so, the coffee is not overpowering, seems just right. tasty and quite nice, glad i've got another bottle!

04-08-2007 18:07:31 | More by grub
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Roasted coffee bean black with generous red-gold accents. Bright sunlight is barely visible on the opposite side of the pint glass. I love the creamy cap. It's coffee-with-cream in color and has a great deal of character, both after the pour and as it melts. A modest amount of sea foam lace does nothing to dampen my enthusiasm.

The nose can't quite keep pace with the appearance. It's roasted malty with a considerable coffee presence (100% Kona coffee, to be exact), but it fails to grab me for some reason. More power would probably help. I didn't expect there to be any accessory aromas, and there aren't.

Pipeline Porter has potential. I wish the brewers had seen fit to use enough malt because the outlines of a very good coffee porter are easy to see... er... taste. Just when I'm expecting the pleasant flavor to crest the wave and begin the wild ride to the beach, it washes out into something acceptable, but well short of spectacular.

I feel like I'm being too hard on a pretty well-brewed beer that balances its porterness with its coffee exceptionally well. I'm glad to see that it's a coffee-accented beer rather than alcoholic iced coffee, as some versions tend to be. I keep dreaming about what it could be like with more chocolate and roasted malt guts.

Obviously, the mouthfeel falls short of greatness as well. I'll be kind since it's acceptable for a porter, but a little viscosity would be a wonderful thing. I have no such complaints about the low-key carbonation. I'm not asking for the mouthfeel to 'hang ten', but it could at least 'hang five'.

Maybe it was the 'Limited Release' on the neck label, but I expected Pipeline Porter to be a better beer. Although it's a good, balanced, sessionable coffee porter, it fails to top Kona's own Fire Rock Pale Ale as far as I'm concerned.

04-03-2007 14:21:50 | More by BuckeyeNation
Talisker

3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Very good beer - Kona doesn't get the credit it deserves.

12oz bottle purchased at City Beer Store in San Francisco, CA. I believe Kona beers dsitributed on the mainland are contract-brewed in California.

Pours into a brandy snifter a deep dark brown, almost black in the center, with tan edges and a light cream-colored head. Aroma is led by coffee, some burnt edges, but also a bit of milk. Taste is very well-integrated - coffee leads, but not overwhelming. Some sweet malt, and that milk again.

Unfortunately the texture is also a bit milky - just a tad thin, even for a porter, missing some of the backbone that would support the robust coffee. This thinness makes the beer much less appealing than it otherwise would be - starts out one of my favorite coffee beers, but doesn't have much body. Despite the milk, the lingering finish is predominantly dry, even drying. If you have more than one, you'll need a glass of water on hand to rehydrate your mouth.

Doesn't live up to my hopes, but certainly worth a try. And I've never had a true misfire from Kona, who doesn't seem to get credit for what they do - I'll visit the brewery some day!

04-02-2007 00:09:39 | More by Talisker
tavernjef

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Darkened brown and fairly black and inky. Smallish capping of offtanned foam grabs the top lightly for a bit before fading to an ever present thin collar and some miniscule lacing in spots.

Aroma is clean and pleasant with a light coffee acsent of roast and semi-chocolate fluffyness. Touch of oaty sweetness to it too.

Taste is good with nice a broad lasting flavor of slightly iced coffee and chocolate whipped cream with some cookie dough sweetness. Very quick and soothing with a simple yet delicate nature of fluffy roasted finish.

Feel is super quick and soft, a little light, but soothing and favors a ligher bodied porter than most. Nice fluffy touch on the finish with chocolate cream and coffee roast ghostlyness.

Drinkable and then some. Wow, this stuff goes down easy. A nice little porter from the Islands of Hawaii. Thanks to the parents who didn't disappoint with their stash of gifts from their trip. Thanks!

03-30-2007 02:06:39 | More by tavernjef
geographie

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

pours a jet black, not quite opaque with a weaker tan head. Aroma is powerful, bing cherries, a flavored coffee note, some caramel, and vanilla. Intriguing.

Coffee is for sure the most distinguishable aspect to the flavor profile. There is little malt backing for such a unique flavor. Aftertaste is similar to that of watered down cola. No bitterness to speak of, but finishes smoothly despite the weird aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light, low carbonation creates an easy drinker.

03-27-2007 04:20:55 | More by geographie
ggaughan

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Picked this baby up at a bottle shop in Phoenix. The beer poured a deep black hole color with a slight, deep tan head that ran away quickly and left a slight ring around the edge. The nose was a very pleasing roasted coffee with some cocoa notes. The taste was a robust roasted coffee and chocolate bonanza with a good malt backbone to boot. The body was somewhat full as expected but enjoyable all the way around.

03-22-2007 00:50:52 | More by ggaughan
rallison

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured at just under cellar temp into a New Belgium goblet.

A: Jet black with a 1 finger tan head that dissipates to leave only a bit of lacing.

S: Coffee! That is basically all. Not too intense in smell, but what is there is definitely roasted coffee.

T: Once again, coffee. Doesn't have the bitterness of some coffee beers, but almost has a milk-like sweetness. Maybe a touch of chocolate in here too. Only downside is the flavor could be a little more intense since the body is a touch weak.

M: As above, it's a little light bodied. Gives it a bit of a watery mouthfeel. Carbonation gives a nice tickle at the end. However, I'd really like a little more flavor or a thicker body to bring everything together.

D: Quite drinkable.

Overall, recommended. There are other coffee beers I'd reach for before this, but I still enjoyed it.

03-20-2007 05:43:32 | More by rallison
weeare138

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Much thanks to Phatz via akorsak...
Appears a deep dark mahogany with dark crimson edges when held to the light. A small, 1 finger tan head slowly fades out. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of coffee, cream, dark ripe fruit, cocoa shavings, brown sugar, and caramel.
Taste is a sweet, yet balanced, version of the aforementioned aromas with sugary, creamed coffee jumping out as the highlight.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, and superbly balanced.
This is a very nice digestif brew.

03-09-2007 20:05:26 | More by weeare138
Phatz

4.75/5  rDev +25%

Adam Korsak. BA akorsak. YOU DA MAN!!! This is the BOMB yo!! Holy shiznat. I was not expecting all that. I was just checking off Hawaii with a beer you gave me and... I didn't know what to expect. I'd give you my first born son for this beer (but as two days ago you have two sons so ... you don't need him;-) just kidding anyway back off my kid. LOL. Seriously this was so much better than expected. Thanks for hookin me up.

I was very pleased to have gotten a chance to share this with my good friend weeare138 who was surprisingly pleased as well.

I am of coarse biased by coffee beers. I do consume a ridiculous amount of coffee on a daily basis and so I have made it a quest to seek good coffee. This beer Is good coffee. I mean beer. Or rather coffee beer. cofbeer.

Appearance: My pour may have been too gentle because the head was initially small but some swirling revitalized the head. The light brown frothy head leaves little, still noteworthy, lacing.

Smell: Bold sweet Kona coffee aroma powers through the nasal cavity. The sweet sugars and the coffee remind me of that Pepsi Drink PepsiKona (with a splash of Kahlua) if anyone remembers that. mmm. Malty, creamy, sweet cocoa, dark malt, but more than dominantly coffee coffee coffee in the nose.

Taste: The same glorious flavors in the taste as was in the aroma. Dark toasted malts, Kaluah, creamy milky chocolate and coffee coffee coffee. A roasty espresso bitterness lingeres in the aftertaste. Overall: this is a coffee mans dream. It got me in the mood for a Péché Mortel!

Mouthfeel: Medium body light weight but exceptionally smooth across the palate. All though creamy coffee flavors sent me into state of awe while the light dryness of the roasted coffee tickled the throat. very nice.

Drinkability: I want cases of this stuff. Damn. Why Hawaii. I can't even drive out there. Well, if you can get your hands on this beer, and if you like coffee as I do, don't waste time with one get a bundle it's a drinkable beer. I certainly wanted more.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

03-09-2007 08:19:36 | More by Phatz
GClarkage

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

03/06/07- Purchased at Whole Foods in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a packaged on date stamped on the neck of the bottle. Poured into my Englander pint glass.

Appearance- A deep brown colored pour. Fairly large bubbled almost cola like head. Settles down to a 1/4 head and leaves behind hints of lace.

Smell- Lots of coffee and dark roasted malts going on here. Mild dark chocolate hit followed by a semi-burnt malt taste. Coffee comes in last and remains in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Cola-like carbonation. Very bubbly. Not really smooth.

Drinkability- Reminds me of Full Sail Half Pipe Porter, but not quite as good. Not bad, but I've had plenty of other coffee infused dark beers that have been better. Worth a try though.

03-07-2007 05:41:14 | More by GClarkage
rkuhnel

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

From a bottle poured a very dark brown tending toward black with a fat tan head. Big nose of coffee, chocolate, and dark roasted grains. Mouthfeel medium with an oily coffee bean texture, and flavor is not nearly as powerful as the aroma. This is not bad stuff, and as a porter is decent, even if not quite in the very top tier.

03-02-2007 20:27:01 | More by rkuhnel
rayjay

Hawaii

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Deep transparent black with brown highlights. Quite flat.

S: Carmel and roasted malts. American style porter nose, which is difficult for me to describe, but always seems to be there no matter who the brewer. I'm missing the Kona beans, but I don't doubt they're in there somewhere.

T: There's the coffee...it's in the background, but it fits well with the sweet roasted malts. Fairly average porter, perhaps a bit more robust than usual, but nothing out of the ordinary. Lightly hopped. Finishes pleasantly dry, with a roasted malt aftertaste.

M: Too flat for my taste. Makes for a dull beer, although I can tell it's not much thicker than water. Could use some inspiration.

D: Drinkability is very good, although I'd still like some more CO2 in there. 10 minutes into the beer I can't even aggitate any foam on the top. I could see this being a fun beer to drink on the beach. Cheers!

02-26-2007 05:47:00 | More by rayjay
slyke

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

First off, many thanks to my parents who brought three bottles of this beer home for me from the Big Island. I'd seen the packaging for this beer in the bottling room at Widmer Brothers in October 2006 and was hoping to get my hands on some.

Appearance: Black in the center, deep garnet around the edges with a thin tan head that fades to a ring in a couple of minutes.

Smell is dominated by roasted coffee (as excected).

Taste has elements of coffee and toffee. The roasty note is king here.

Mouthfeel is just what I expect from a porter. Lots of malt with some crispness from the hops around the edges. Overall, the beer is very smooth.

Drinkability is very good. I hope this limited release becomes a regular part of the Kona Brewing Company lineup. I think this beer would be an excellent compliment to a chocolate dessert. Recommended.

02-24-2007 18:07:57 | More by slyke
goschool

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: The pour is opaque black with a large creamy tan head.

Aroma: The nose has a tremendous roasty blend of fruity medium-roast coffee, lactose, and brown sugar.

Taste: Could a brewery brew a beer for me that tastes like this one smells? Apparently Kona can't. What a let down. It's still an okay porter, but all of the roasted malts meld to a much less complex flavor profile than I was anticipating. The lactose and coffee, albeit a more generic "coffee" than what was in the aroma, are still in here, as is a slight astringency, but it's not blowing me away.

This year is a historically bad one for Kona coffees. They are showing much less Kona-character than usual. I don't know how that would affect the beer's flavor profile, but not the aroma, but I'd like to hope, for their sake, it's an excuse.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied and roasty with plenty of carbonation and a thin, watery finish.

Drinkability: How does a beer that smells so great taste so ordinary?

02-19-2007 08:02:04 | More by goschool
sleazo

3.8/5  rDev 0%

on tap at PB Bar and Grill, a deep dark brownish black beer with smallish head, some decent lacing. Looks pretty good for a porter. The smell up front is cofffee, some sweet malty richness. Taste- Starts off a little sweet, ends up with the bitterness of the coffee. Some chocolate peeks through in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was good, slightly chewy. The problem with this is the drinkability, the coffee becomes a little overpowering. Probably couldnt have more than 2

02-16-2007 22:47:51 | More by sleazo
Matthew

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle, poured into my pint glass a very dark brown/borderline black with a good 1/2 inch of off white head that settles to leave some slight covering over the top of the beer.
Its difficult to pick up anything other than some good coffee aroma and a hint of chocolate. Pleasant but faint.
Light roasted grain flavors rush in first followed by a nice smooth chocolate character with plenty of coffee to match. The coffee flavor is pronounced and is not without some of its own roasted qualities.
Nice mouthfeel on this porter, smooth and light on the palate with a good level of carbonation.
Easy drinking good tasting porter here from Kona brewing. A nice suprise from the islands.

02-16-2007 01:47:03 | More by Matthew
ccrida

Oregon

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured in an imperial pint glass, the Pipeline Porter is pitch black with a slight off-white head that immediately dissipated to a large bubbled collar, with largely spaced, sticky lacing.
The aroma is a roasted burnt malt with a coffee and a touch of chocolate, and chalk.
The taste is bitter coffee and roasted malt, pleasant but fairly one-dimensional. There is also a strong earthy mineral taste, and no noticeable hops, other then the bitter aftertaste, which I really think is more coffee, certainly in taste.
The mouthfeel is fine for a porter, which are generally a bit thin for my taste. Could have used a bit more carbonation, probably quite nice on nitro.
The drinkability was not to high on this, the taste was a bit to astringent to want to really suck these down. Certainly not bad though.
All in all, it reminds me a lot of my homebrewed coffee porter, which is pretty damn good, but homebrew none the less...

02-15-2007 03:26:05 | More by ccrida
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 45 degrees. Given to me by Akorsak - thanks!

A - Coffee-like in color with a small beige ring that sits comfortable atop the beer. Mild carbonation.

S - Smells of freshly-brewed coffee and roasted malt with a hint of chocolate in the background.

T - Coffee flavors are well-balanced with notes of roasted chocolate and vanilla. Nothing too tricky here...flavors are all pretty straightforward.

M - Body is a little on the thin side, but it still finishes strong. Coffee aftertaste.

D - Overall, pretty enjoyable. A little higher ABV and a thicker body would help it become a more solid porter, but still good nonetheless. Glad I got to knock Hawaii off the list!

02-14-2007 18:29:35 | More by JohnnyM2002
Zorro

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

This is a very dark brown colored beer with a light brown head.

This smells strongly of Hawaiian coffee. This is sweet and very strongly smelling of a medium grind cup of coffee without any associated chocolate scents. Fairly spicy this has a little cinnamon kick to it.

The taste begins sweet and bitter like coffee and not hops. Quite a nice coffee flavor in this beer is very much the beer version of Kahlua liqueur. Lots of roasted coffee taste along with a tart wine like aftertaste this captures the taste of coffee extremely well.

Mouthfeel is good.

Extremely drinkable and a natural extension of the coffee stout concept to the porter. I have not been very impressed by the beers of Kona brewing until I tried this beer. About as perfect as a low alcohol coffee based beer can be.

02-11-2007 04:22:17 | More by Zorro
Pipeline Porter from Kona Brewing Co.