Longboard Island Lager - Kona Brewing Co.

Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-07-2002)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona's Longboard Island Lager last week at The Lager Mill. I had this beer a long time ago and at the time I thought it was a solid Lager and I'm interested to see what I think of it now, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks looks nice, it got a similar style to the label on the other beer I have tried from them, I think the label goes good with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a very clear yellow color that was slightly pale and it took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking Lager, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, very grainy, biscuity and grassy like aromas with some doughy yeast aromas showing up in the background. I can't pick up any hop presence. This beer had an ok aroma and I found it to be very average for a Lager.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same exact malty aspect that they did in the aroma with that same amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with a nice grainy and biscuit like aftertaste that lingers a little longer than most Lagers. I thought this was decent tasting Lager, It was still a little bland like the aroma, but I liked the lingering aftertaste.

M- Smooth, clean, pretty crisp, slightly refreshing, light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was just slightly prickly. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that was true to style and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty close to average example of the style, it was very true to style and it had pretty much all the aspects that I would expect from a Lager, but it still was a little bland and it felt like it was missing a little bit of something. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, pretty crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I could probably drink more than a few of these, but I think the taste would start to loose my interest so one or two would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel. to me those were the highlights of this beer and I thought they were both pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it seemed just a little blander than the taste and I felt it was lacking something, but I don't know what that is. I don't think I would buy this beer again, there's a few Lagers that I enjoy much more than this one and I can't say I would recommend it unless your big a Lager fan. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means and it didn't have any off flavors or off aspects, but it fell pretty much right in the middle in every aspect and it wasn't too memorable. This isn't my favorite Lager and Big Wave Golden Ale is still my favorite beer from Kona, but I don't see how this Island Lager is any different from any other Lager. I appreciate the attempt but this one could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys.

04-23-2014 21:39:18 | More by StoutHunter

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

07-26-2014 01:54:22 | More by Icemann383
tillmac62

3.9/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear golden with a good head. Very good lacing and retention. Light nose of slightly sweet biscuit over subtle notes of tropical hops. Very nice medium body for a lager with a touch of creamy texture. Above average carbonation level that imparts a nice effervescent finish. The flavor profile is well balanced and also clean and crisp. It begins with a light biscuit sweetness that flows into a crisp effervescent light bitterness. Behind the bitterness is a light tropical tartness from the hops. The finish is crisp and effervesces into a slight dryness.

07-25-2014 18:53:14 | More by tillmac62
Cigarsmoker7

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

07-25-2014 17:22:37 | More by Cigarsmoker7
DucPilot

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer but cannot get this to pour with a nice head. The head is very thin and gone way too quickly. If it had a better head it would improve its rating.

If anyone out there has found a way to pour this beer and generate a good, long lasting head I would love to hear about it.

I'm glad that I was introduced to Longboard and can get it 5,000 miles from its source.

07-25-2014 17:22:05 | More by DucPilot
rabbitguy

07-25-2014 17:13:54 | More by rabbitguy
Nversobr

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

07-25-2014 14:21:31 | More by Nversobr
Extrajoker00

07-25-2014 13:38:35 | More by Extrajoker00
Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.