Longboard Island Lager - Kona Brewing Co.

Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-07-2002)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

I picked up a bottle of Kona's Longboard Island Lager last week at The Lager Mill. I had this beer a long time ago and at the time I thought it was a solid Lager and I'm interested to see what I think of it now, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks looks nice, it got a similar style to the label on the other beer I have tried from them, I think the label goes good with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a very clear yellow color that was slightly pale and it took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking Lager, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, very grainy, biscuity and grassy like aromas with some doughy yeast aromas showing up in the background. I can't pick up any hop presence. This beer had an ok aroma and I found it to be very average for a Lager.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same exact malty aspect that they did in the aroma with that same amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with a nice grainy and biscuit like aftertaste that lingers a little longer than most Lagers. I thought this was decent tasting Lager, It was still a little bland like the aroma, but I liked the lingering aftertaste.

M- Smooth, clean, pretty crisp, slightly refreshing, light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was just slightly prickly. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that was true to style and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty close to average example of the style, it was very true to style and it had pretty much all the aspects that I would expect from a Lager, but it still was a little bland and it felt like it was missing a little bit of something. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, pretty crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I could probably drink more than a few of these, but I think the taste would start to loose my interest so one or two would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel. to me those were the highlights of this beer and I thought they were both pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it seemed just a little blander than the taste and I felt it was lacking something, but I don't know what that is. I don't think I would buy this beer again, there's a few Lagers that I enjoy much more than this one and I can't say I would recommend it unless your big a Lager fan. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means and it didn't have any off flavors or off aspects, but it fell pretty much right in the middle in every aspect and it wasn't too memorable. This isn't my favorite Lager and Big Wave Golden Ale is still my favorite beer from Kona, but I don't see how this Island Lager is any different from any other Lager. I appreciate the attempt but this one could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys.

04-23-2014 21:39:18 | More by StoutHunter
oberon

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on tap at a local Italian eatery last night and honestly was pleasently surprised.Came in a standard pint glass a light to medium golden with some chill haze from the glass,a thinner but well retained head atop.Not much in the nose,a little sweetness and grain but really not much goin on.Was taken back a little by the herbal hop smack I got on the palate....really.Herbal with a firm toasty base that did fade after a few drinks but still the hop flavors were a pleasent surprise.Drinkable and firm in the mouth,a nice lager beer with food.

04-17-2009 21:00:09 | More by oberon
mojohawk21

Missouri

02-10-2013 18:51:44 | More by mojohawk21
RoyalT

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance – This one is a light, orangish-yellow in color with a really good head that showed retention, which is rare in an American Lager.

Smell – The big grain base here is easy on the nose. It has a very pleasant bouquet and is balanced with some light hopping.

Taste – This is not a bad lager. It’s much better than the standard macro-swill. The grain is unapologetically bold with just a small bitter hop compliment. Just as Zorro said in his review three days ago, it starts off with the big lagerish grain, brings up the bitter hop flavors, then closes with a light sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This one is medium-bodied and smooth in between the cheeks as all good lagers should be.

Drinkability – If you want a lager, why would you drink some macro-swill if you could have this?

12-15-2004 01:44:49 | More by RoyalT
Turbo

10-06-2013 01:32:05 | More by Turbo
BeerAdvocate

3.73/5  rDev +11%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VII:

Hawaiian climate. Bring on the lagers!

Pale in color, glowing yellow and crystal clear, which is similar to the sub-style. Wild flowers, Asian pear and a bit of doughy biscuit in the nose. Big on smoothness, creamy as well, which was an unexpected but welcome surprise. What a lovely body on this lager. Biscuity, grassy maltiness is long and drawn out. Bitterness dials in with a spicy and dried herb flavor. Very balanced, from hops to sweetness to toasted grain. Clean palate with only a hint of sulfur. Biscuity flavors from the grain become dominant in the end for the most part. Big dry finale of clean grain.

Very impressive, a bigger body than we expected, but that's not a bad thing as it stays very drinkable bottle to bottle. Just more proof that brewing lagers is worth the effort.

09-10-2010 18:08:57 | More by BeerAdvocate
Dmann

Nothing spectacular about this beer, yet nothing incredibly annoying either. Poured a bright yellow with a small, frothy white head. Smell was of grass, slight tropical fruit and malt. Flavor was very clean, slightly earthy and malty but not much complexity. Mouthfeel was refreshing and average for the style. Nothing spectacular here but a solid Lager nonetheless.

08-27-2011 01:55:31 | More by Dmann
MikeC144

Rhode Island

04-09-2014 16:02:54 | More by MikeC144
orbitalr0x

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz bottle pours a very clear golden yellow color with a small fizzy white head that dissipates rather quickly. Good active carbonation. Aromas start with toasty grains alongside some grassy, herbal hops with a hint of pepper as well. Fairly mellow and nice overall.

First sip brings a light toasted grain malt upfront that's followed by a mellow herbal, grassy hop flavor. A bit of a peppery spiciness that's followed by a light bitterness on the way down. A crisp, clean easy drinking lager that goes down easy and is a well crafted brew.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with sturdy carbonation as it goes down. An easy drinking lager that I can see being refreshing on a very hot day out by the beach. Although it's not something I'd personally grab regularly...it's still a tasty all malt lager that goes down easy and is plenty drinkable.

06-15-2007 23:16:12 | More by orbitalr0x

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

08-15-2014 03:52:09 | More by petewheeler
Jason

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a packaged on date on the neck.

Appearance: Pale yellowish gold holding a good clarity with a wicked frothy head on top.

Smell: Basic clean maltiness … clean.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Smooth with a semi-crispness in a medium body. Clean pale malty flavors throughout, not too sweet. A good kick of spicy bitterness to help balance. Finishes slightly dry.

Drinkability & Notes: An all around easy drinking lager, this is a real American Lager in my book. Light yet still very flavorful, an all purpose beer.

07-29-2004 00:37:04 | More by Jason
tigg924

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: minimal head, medium carbonation, clear, light gold in color

Smell: toasted malt and grass--not overly strong

Taste: toasted malt, grass, and some light sweet citrus fruit--perhaps pineapple

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, slightly sweet, smooth

Drinkability: I like the subtle fruit tones to this and I might have this again on a hot day. Nothing I would rush to get, but it is better than most in its style.

03-19-2010 14:37:16 | More by tigg924
aquazr1

08-01-2013 05:00:13 | More by aquazr1
stlkerry

Maryland

08-02-2013 02:44:33 | More by stlkerry
Mora2000

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

The beer pours a slightly hazy light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the corn and wheat. Not very appetizing. The flavor is wheat and corn with some grassy and earthy hop notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Kona makes some good beers, but this is not one of them.

05-22-2010 04:36:20 | More by Mora2000
mattster

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle, poured into Pilsner glass.

Pours a 1" head, dies down to .25" of foam with lots of bubbles. Color is mostly clear/slightly hazy light yellow brew with some bubbles floating to the top.

Smell is of light hops and malts with faint herbaceous notes. Taste isn't bad, but it is not great either. It taste mostly like malt/adjuncts - just a straight beer flavor without bitterness or bad aftertaste. Nothing major - nothing worth writing home about, but still a decent brew.

05-02-2008 09:28:48 | More by mattster
avitallo

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

08-08-2014 23:45:28 | More by avitallo
SDbeerguy

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a SD Padres 40th anny. pint glass (I saw a previous poster rep the Mets glass, so I may do the same, haha)

I've always loved this beer from the first time I had it. I don't know what it is. I think it's what a premium American lager should taste like. Figures we have to go all the way to Hawai'i to find it. Figures. Very smooth and very drinkable. Not too pissy like a generic American lager (i.e. Coors light) but not too overwhelming either. I recommend this beer to anyone and everyone. My rating may seem average but the taste and drinkability are the only categories really above average because let's face it, that's what we're looking for anyway right?

Enjoy a Kona Longboard!

12-23-2009 08:07:34 | More by SDbeerguy
Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.