Longboard Island Lager - Kona Brewing Co.

Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-07-2002

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Longboard Island Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,292 | Reviews: 645
4.82/5  rDev +43%

Great smooth taste! My go-to beer.

4.76/5  rDev +41.2%

12oz bottle into Sam Adams Perfect Pint

A: Gorgeous dark straw, bright white head

S: Yeast, malt and a hint of hop

T: WHOA! This is in the same category as Bud LIght? Absolutely no comparison. So much flavor and richness out of a lager. The best lager I've had, by a long shot. A bit of yeast, a bit of pale malt, super crisp with a nice hint of floral sweet. I could drink this for breakfast.

M: Nice, crisp carb, with a smooth finish

O: I'm so glad this made it to Missouri. Definitely a go-to poolside beer.

4.76/5  rDev +41.2%

Excellent session. At only 4.6% this makes a wonderful session. I could drink this all day at the beach or at a bonfire. Nice and slow the mouthfeel is awesome (for an amateur) and is smooth as glass.

Appearance is a 3 only because I'm sipping straight from the bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love a lager that pours all blurry orange.
The aromas are mintly, locker room-lively, reeking of cracked, honey-drizzeled grain and tight. On the palate it is dutifully Am. craft-like in terms of hoppiness and braised, honeyed maltiness. A real blue collar beer this. Dry enough. Feisty, percolating fizz creates an impression of brutal energy. Roasted, honey cardboard and paper flavors on the finish make it authentically deliriously herbal and rustic and loads of fun.
You have to hate life not to love this beer.
___
That last sentence is way too strong. Sorry.

4.68/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Light taste and light in color. Refreshing.

4.66/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is my favorite beer.

4.62/5  rDev +37.1%

I fell in love with Longboard for drinking after snowboarding a few years ago. I'm a honey-blonde ale fan and Longboard has floored me since the first time I had it.

It has a perfect blend of taste and drinkability, similar to Newcastle. A medium body lager with a great finish. Robust but not heavy. Very refreshing for a craft style beer.

On Tap in Hawaii, A wonderful example of a premium american lager,

A: Nice Pale Straw Gold Color, fair amount of
carbonation.

S: Minimal hop aroma.

T: malty but not overly, and a nice grainy finish

M: Decent amount of body, much richer than a
typcial American lager

D: Definately a session beer

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Really nice beer. Poured from a glass bottle into a Pint glass. Nice head, slightly small. Great taste, with a hint of hops at the end. Overall great beer to drink while relaxing or a night on the town.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

12oz bottle from the local Hannaford. Pours a light straw yellow crystal clear body with a short lived half inch of off-white head. Smells somewhat bready and biscuity. Tastes sweet with some bready elements as well as an unexpected citric hoppiness supporting. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Very easy drinker, even for the style. I'd definitely get this one again, either to have with macro-drinking friends or on a hot summer day. Good stuff.

4.49/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very impressed at how smooth and great tasting this beer was.

4.48/5  rDev +32.9%

An exceptionally good American lager -- a category sadly lacking in credible competition amongst the over-saturated pale ale market that clearly dominates the U.S. micro-brew landscape. An example of a very good beer, simply as it was meant to be -- drinkable, extremely drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +32.6%

Pours a pure gold with a half of an inch of loose, bubbly, white head that quickly dissipates. The nose is lightly malty, lemony, and grassy. The flavor is very malty up front with with a sweet, lightly bready feel followed by a smooth, grassy, lemony hop finish. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, very smooth, and perfectly carbonated.

This is a very refreshing lager. The malt is close to what I would expect from a pilsner, but there's a strong, lemony feel that adds a lighter, less hoppy character to this beer. It's very enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +32.6%

My first Longboard I was on the island of Maui. I remember it well. Waking up early to go find a bar to watch the Bears game. There was a 5 hour difference.

Anyways, since that first one I have been looking for it on the mainland. I have found it and every chance I get I pick up a 6 pack.

It pours a nice clear golden color. Very fine head in the glass. The aroma every is subtle but every time takes me back to Hawaii. It hits on the nose just right. It is a very refreshing and easy to drink beer. You can easily put back several of these without realizing it. Overall, the first one of these was one of the most memorable beers I've ever had.

4.44/5  rDev +31.8%

I'm a bit bewildered by the reviews that this lager has received. I personally don't care for lagers, if anything, I don't like them. But my mind have been changed by the few lagers i've had and this is one of them. Grant it, it has more of a pilsner-feel to it.

I got this cold, on tap at a steakhouse in Monterey, CA. I was extremely skeptical when my friends got it because 1) it's a lager and 2) it's from Hawaii (sorry!). I don't equate Hawaii with beer like I do with Boston and San Francisco. But when I had it WOWE!!!! It had this crystal clear, refreshing taste to it. The after-taste was something I've never tasted before.

It made sense after my friend reminded me that one of the most important ingredients in beer is water. Hawaii has very clean, pure water there. But they must've done something great to it to be one of only 3 lagers that I find interesting and enjoyable to drink.

4.42/5  rDev +31.2%

This beer is in abundance on tap at pretty much every bar I was at in Maui. Overall I enjoyed the beer and ordered it several times. The taste is apparant, but not too strong. Good for anyone that doesn't like their beer being too dark or too heavy. I even went to the extent to find where they distribute Kona Brewing in the bay area!

4.37/5  rDev +29.7%

Almost exactly like Shock Top, it is a little better though.

Appearance - Goldenish and cloudy some what, inviting with a low carbonation.

Smell - citrus and malty

Taste - again citrus and easyly tell it's a wheat beer.

Mouthfeel - on the light side, not watery with no shortage of flavor.

Drinkability - high drinkability, very good.

4.34/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A= Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Apple cider color with little head.

S= smell of sweet citrus

T= light, crisp refreshing and sweet. Starts with a orange and lemon tones and finishing with sweet malt. Little to no hops.

M= light, lighly carbonated feel

O= Very delicious beer. I normally like heavier beers. But this is a great American lager full of flavor and quite refreshing. I will drink another when I get the opportunity.

4.34/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth and refreshing! Great summer beer!

4.31/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic lager. I love it

4.29/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This beer is pretty good.

4.26/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice crisp lager that is very enjoyable on a nice warm day like today.

Golden appearance with tiny little bubbles interspersed. Nice white head.

Malt smell with a good hop character, but a little too reminscent of some macro lagers (though less one-dimensional).

Good, crips lager flavour. Nice bready malts and a decent amoutn of hops to keep it interesting. The adjunct/macro smell is not nearly as noticeable in the flavour. Slightly bitter after taste.

Carbonation is spot on and this is a great thirst quencher on a nice day.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Longboard Island Lager brewed by Kona Brewing Co with an ABV of 4.6% This brew pours out a nice clear amber color with a smell white head. The smell is rich with grains and malt. You pick up on some of the sweetness in this brew. The taste is bold with flavor and grains. This brew has a nice balance too it. there is nothing over powering in this brew. I like how this brew has flavor and it goes down smooth. The mouthfeel is n ice also. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.25 out of 5. I will get this brew again.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Growler fill from the local establishment. It has a sweet tap handle & was about as cheap as things get there, so I went for it.

Straw in color with constant, but overall light carbonation. Amazing clarity & a very fluffy bright-white head make it an interesting package.

Unexpectedly fruity & yeasty on the nose for the style. Banana, lemon zest, some of the copper kettle, & a bit of spicy/sweet candied ginger. It smells almost like an American wheat, minus the clove of course.

Taste is also very much like an American filtered wheat with a clovish beginning, but no banana on this end. The middle plays around with a toasted whole wheat with barely a square of butter. The mild hop trail finish gives off a little tangy spiciness. That toasted taste far outlives any bitterness.

Very light in body, decently carbonated, & impeccably dry, but still without feeling like a towel. I'm starting with this half gallon right here. :)

There's a free growler coupon in last month's Ale Street. Shhh... :P

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Creamy but very well attenuated, relatively light lager. Not much hop flavor there, so after of day of getting pounded by 8 food waves, or your jackass boss, if you're in the mood for something smooth and mellow that you can help you decompress without any dramatic turns, this Longbord could be just the ticket.

It's almost as if they've found a way to make DMS appealing with none of the awful aspects of creamed corn, but retaining some of the notes that make it distinct and oddly appealing, like a very big girl with outrageous curves who wants attention... wait, did I write that, because that was my inside voice. Derps.

For reals, with all due respect for big bottom girls, this beer is a very good, smooth, creamy mouth full of tasty hooch.

Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.