Longboard Island Lager - Kona Brewing Co.

Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-07-2002

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Longboard Island Lager Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

I'll tell you, at this point in my life, they could put liquefied heroin in a CAN and I would drink it! The CANQuest (TM) has become such an all-CANsuming presence in my life that I CANnot imagine drinking beer from any other medium if a CANned version is available. Hoo, boy!

From the CAN: "Liquid Aloha" (see what I mean?); "Thirst's Up! Waikiki Beach in Honolulu is the birth place of Longboard surfing. Kona Brewing pays tribute to this iconic place with our own Longboard Island Lager. A spirited, crisp and refreshing brew, Longboard is a smooth ride all the way in."

The Crack revealed yet another beer that was happy to see me or at least to escape the CANfines of its vessel. I got an initial splash of foam, then it fizzed and refused to behave before finally calming down for the Glug. Oddy, I only produced a finger of bone-white head and even that was limited in its retention. A CANflicted beer! Color was liquid sunshine in the glass and with its NE-quality clarity, I wished that the sun were still shining as brightly as it had all day for comparison's sake. Nose smelled like lager, real lager, unadulterated, without corn or other adjuncts that have worn me thin. I may be in love! CAN I marry a beer? Oh, that's right - I CAN only rent them for short periods at a time. Mouthfeel was light, not downright thin, but kind of unobtrusive. It tasted like lager! It had a lightly sweet maltiness along with a mildly grassy hops presence on the tongue. It was super smooth and I had drank off easily half of the CANtents before I was even aware of how quickly it was going. Finish was semi-dry and I am marking it as a definite CANdidate for my beach cooler.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

2.2/5  rDev -34.7%

Ap. Crystal clear straw color. White head appears only if you pour aggressively or swirl the glass, then it disappears.
Sm. Clean! Fresh! Pine and grain.
Ta. A little malty at the beginning, and then goes to a mild grainy cheap beer flavor. Tiniest of bitter finishes.
Mf. Watery with teeny carbonation.
Dr. It is a non-offensive lager. It's actually pretty good compared to normal American lagers, but there's just not enough there to interest me.

3.07/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Plain light gold color with a fizzled out head. Weak sauce. 2.0

Lightly grassy aroma. Not much else. Very boring. 2.5

Tea-like hop with some light sweetness to the malts. Nice balance, actually. Surprising. 3.5

Watery with medium carbonation. Does enough to tickle my stomach. 2.5

An ok pale lager. Not much character, but tastes alright. Better than BMC. 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.