Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Longboard Island Lager - Kona Brewing Co.

Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-07-2002

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Longboard Island Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 627 | Hads: 2,366
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Very, very smooth beer and very drinkable on a hot day or night. I generally loathe lighter beers but this is very enjoyable while being totally boring and bland at the same time. But I can get it for the same price as bud / bud light at a local bar and it is infinitely more enjoyable. (288 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Pretty decent beer. Pours a golden yellow with a slight white head that stays for a little bit before dissipating. Smell is sweet and malty with a hint of tropical fruit. Taste is crisp, good amount of carbonation. Nothing extraordinary, but solid beer for a hot day. (273 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

I was surprised at the complexity of this beer. Poured out a pale yellow with a rich white head. The smell was a good balance between sweet malt and hops with the malt dominating. A very subtle blend of flavors that while I couldn't pick them all out they work well with each other. The mouthfeel is very rich and creamy. This is a good refreshing beer that is perfect for after finishing chores on a hot summer day. (421 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear golden with a good head. Very good lacing and retention. Light nose of slightly sweet biscuit over subtle notes of tropical hops. Very nice medium body for a lager with a touch of creamy texture. Above average carbonation level that imparts a nice effervescent finish. The flavor profile is well balanced and also clean and crisp. It begins with a light biscuit sweetness that flows into a crisp effervescent light bitterness. Behind the bitterness is a light tropical tartness from the hops. The finish is crisp and effervesces into a slight dryness. (565 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer but cannot get this to pour with a nice head. The head is very thin and gone way too quickly. If it had a better head it would improve its rating.

If anyone out there has found a way to pour this beer and generate a good, long lasting head I would love to hear about it.

I'm glad that I was introduced to Longboard and can get it 5,000 miles from its source. (377 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle poured into sensory glass. A clear, golden appearance with a medium sized white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma of sweet citrus, bread dough, and sweet malt.

Taste is clean, smooth, a bit sweet, and some grassy notes in the malt come to mind up front. Finish is smooth with a some hop bitterness.

Overall, not a bad American lager. Very light bodied, but packs enough flavor to be worth a try. (415 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -34.4%

A weak beer. Kona Brewing Co. is skimping on the malt. I will never buy another Kona brew again for the price they charge. Weak all the way around and through. A limp ass beer. Their IPA's are terrible. Nothing good to say about it. I'd rate it with bud lite and we all know how that tastes. (291 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Was not too impressed. This beer was given to me and I gave it a try. Yellow color with a head that fizzed out pretty quick. The smell was mostly malt although it was hard to find any really outspoken notes from the nose. The taste was very thin with more of a rice/wheat flavor than anything else. It was very crisp which made it decent to just drink in the summer but was forgettable overall. (394 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is a decent beer for a hot day- not too heavy but rather a light, mellow island brew. Not surprising that its alcohol content is in the four percents.
I was surprised that its appearance was so light- almost turned me off there. Taste was much much better than it looked sitting in the pint glass. Great mouthfeel.
I give it a 3.00 altogether. (348 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +40%

Excellent session. At only 4.6% this makes a wonderful session. I could drink this all day at the beach or at a bonfire. Nice and slow the mouthfeel is awesome (for an amateur) and is smooth as glass.

Appearance is a 3 only because I'm sipping straight from the bottle. (272 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

12oz bottle from the Widmer facility served in pint glass. Beer pours piss yellow, crystal clear, with a big white head. Marginal to nil aroma. Flavor is bland, lacking any kind of hop character, and with an adjunct sweetness which tries to be inoffensive, and fails in that attempt.

Pretty sure this is better from the Kona brewery. Not a lot better, but it wouldn't take much. (379 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -3.2%

Decent Lager that's a cut above your average bud or miller. It's cool, crisp, and has more flavor than what's out there. Still, it's not super fine in taste compared to other high quality lagers I have, but it's not bad for something so available. (249 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a slightly hazy pale gold with no head and some lacing. Nose is very bready with notes of heavy cereal grain and a hint of herbal hop character in the background. The taste is very similar. Light in flavor, mainly bready grains present which almost come through with a stale taste. Lager yeast comes through with a dry quality. Mouthfeel is light and moderately carbonated. Overall, this beer isn't that great. The breadiness gets in the way of the drinkability. (468 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

This beer is a really really good beer. I have it every summer and usually year around. I recomend it to friends and family. It is not a heavy beer but it has a really good taste to it. The smell is really good as well. It is a refeeshing beer. Great to sit back with and relax after working al day, or after working outside in the yard. (337 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Picked this up as part of a mixed six from Ye Ole Spirits in Frederick because I had not ever had a Kona beer and I figured it was a good time to try them. Not much to look at, thin with not much color. Smell was again disappointing which now had me very pessimistic. And the taste followed. I gave it an okay because I did not mind drinking it but certainly not buy again. I guess if there was nothing else available I would drink again. (438 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

This was poured into a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a pale orange color with a two finger white foamy head that dissipated within seconds.
The smell had a somewhat delicate spicy hoppiness.
The taste brought back the light spicy hops and combined nicely with a nice maltiness.
The mouthfeel had a nice smooth yet spiciness running over my tongue.
Overall, this is a nice session pale lager well worthy of having with venison sausage, mmmm....my favorite with this. (472 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a golden color in a 16oz pub glass with a one finger white head that takes it time to dissipate leaving some nice lacing.

I had a hard time getting the smell. Maybe it was me. I smell a little bit of a floral essence.

Taste was there. I got some maltiness that was balanced well with some hops.

Mouthfeel was good. Nice carbonation.

Overall I really like this one. Has a nice hoppiness that balances the maltiness well. I am sure to get this one again. (466 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Kona Longboard Island Lager

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a chilled copper mule. Served cold...

A) This is a light golden brew. Had a good finger of soapy head.

S) Sweet corn, white bread, grass, and light floral hops.

T) Refreshing flavor that follows the nose pretty closely. Decent malt sweetness, balanced with a little grassy/herbal hop bite. Pretty straight forward.

M) Lighter body with ample carbonation. Crisp and easy drinking.

O) Decent brew... Good lawn mower, warm weather type beer. (505 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear, pale gold with a lingering, thin white head.

S: Very mild aromas of grain, crackers, minerals, and grass take some time to reveal themselves on the nose.

T: Notes of grain, grass, beeswax, crackers, biscuits, minerals, and lemon are present in the mouth. The finish is very short and dry, providing the reviewer with fleeting impressions of grass, lemon, biscuits, and minerals.

M: Medium in body, smooth, and somewhat dry. Carbonation is firm and prickly on the entry, but quickly fades. This lager needs a little more heft to even out the texture a bit.

O: Not bad, but also not all that good. The best thing I can say about this lager is that it does not offend in any way. Still, it is just sort of lacking all around. Try this one at least once, but pick up a better lager when you're craving something bottom fermented and just about anything else is available. (889 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%

I drank one from the bottle and didn't pour it out into a glass. I enjoyed the first one so I poured the second one into a Stone Brewing Co. pint glass.

A: Pale, slightly golden straw color. Lighter than I was expecting. Little to no head retention which was kinda disappointing.

S: Almost piney, some citrus and then some dry breads or grains at the end. Smells refreshing.

T: Heartier than I was expecting, not as much citrus comes through as I expected. Slight spiciness from the hops which I enjoyed and it left a very smooth, albeit slightly boring aftertaste.

M: Smooth, medium carbonation. Easy to drink, could easily drink the whole six-pack.

Overall: Good, solid beach beer. Hawaiian beer = beach beer. Smooth, unoffensive but at the same time nothing revolutionary. Not nearly as good as Fire Rock (I highly recommend) but pleasant. I'll buy this again in this summer. (886 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear straw color. There's a finger worth of white-colored head that retains badly. Small streaks of lacing are left on the glass.

S: It's about what I expect from a pale lager: noble hops and sweet, crackery malt. But there's a really pleasant lime note in there that helps to set it apart from the norm. Aromatically it doesn't wow me - still, it seems to indicate this will be a good lager.

T: Again, the flavor is rather limey (especially to start), with touches of sulfur, butterscotch, and sugar cookie on the back end. The hops do just enough to ballast the sweetness, as it should (but hey, a bit more hoppiness wouldn't hurt ;)) For what it is, it hits the spot beautifully.

M: I think it could be a little drier on the finish - there's just a bit too much lingering sweetness around for me. But it's not oppressive like the pale lager I had yesterday (Full Sail Session Lager, FYI). I also think it's a bit too full bodied, but it's still really thirst quenching.

O: When I reviewed Full Sail's Session Lager, I said that a pale lager (when done right) can be one of life's simple pleasures. This is such a beer: nothing to wow the senses, but a spectacular thirst quencher after doing some menial labor. I'll keep this one around occasionally for that reason. (1,318 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: pours a 1/2" white head that recedes quickly. Straw colored and clear with plenty of carbonation evident.
Aroma: nice and mild with sweet lightly toasted bread and some mild fruity hop aroma Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a refreshingly dry finish.
Flavor: sweet barley malt, some white bread, with a mild fruity hop bite and a little bitterness in the finish.
Overall: this is a very pleasant lager and seems to me closer in style to European pale lagers than American macros. (493 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

My local supermarket has a build your own six pack area where you can buy beer by the bottle. I try to pick up a new beer each time I go, and Longboard looked good.

I poured it from a bottle into a glass. It formed a small head which disappeared quickly. The taste was very good. It had body without being overly hoppy.

In short, this is a good beer that I would love to drink again. (386 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona's Longboard Island Lager last week at The Lager Mill. I had this beer a long time ago and at the time I thought it was a solid Lager and I'm interested to see what I think of it now, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks looks nice, it got a similar style to the label on the other beer I have tried from them, I think the label goes good with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a very clear yellow color that was slightly pale and it took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking Lager, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, very grainy, biscuity and grassy like aromas with some doughy yeast aromas showing up in the background. I can't pick up any hop presence. This beer had an ok aroma and I found it to be very average for a Lager.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same exact malty aspect that they did in the aroma with that same amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with a nice grainy and biscuit like aftertaste that lingers a little longer than most Lagers. I thought this was decent tasting Lager, It was still a little bland like the aroma, but I liked the lingering aftertaste.

M- Smooth, clean, pretty crisp, slightly refreshing, light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was just slightly prickly. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that was true to style and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty close to average example of the style, it was very true to style and it had pretty much all the aspects that I would expect from a Lager, but it still was a little bland and it felt like it was missing a little bit of something. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, pretty crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I could probably drink more than a few of these, but I think the taste would start to loose my interest so one or two would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel. to me those were the highlights of this beer and I thought they were both pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it seemed just a little blander than the taste and I felt it was lacking something, but I don't know what that is. I don't think I would buy this beer again, there's a few Lagers that I enjoy much more than this one and I can't say I would recommend it unless your big a Lager fan. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means and it didn't have any off flavors or off aspects, but it fell pretty much right in the middle in every aspect and it wasn't too memorable. This isn't my favorite Lager and Big Wave Golden Ale is still my favorite beer from Kona, but I don't see how this Island Lager is any different from any other Lager. I appreciate the attempt but this one could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys. (3,556 characters)

I've been drinking this stuff since the summer of 2002, I probably first saw this and Fire Rock Pale Ale at the Yardhouse in Costa Mesa. At the time it was independently owned and operated in Hawaii on Oahu in Konatown. They've since teamed up with the Craft Brew Alliance, circa 2010 It's either brewed in Oregon, Washington at one of Widmer Bros locales or in New Hampshire at Redhook's facility. With that deal they also gained access to AB's distribution network so fast forward 12 years, I can now buy a beer I drank in SoCal in Steubenville, Ohio.

Pale fizzy yellow really easy to see throough, nice pocket of bright white head leaves minimal speckled lacing behind. Aromatics biscuit malt, this is as helles as it gets...what would you want on the beach in Hawaii? Probably something this thirst quenching, light herbal hops are there but this is a great all malt light lager. There's pleasant hint of pear, with the biscuit malts and a touch of powdered yeast notes.

Flavor smooth drinking beer, great biscuit malts, hints of citrus maybe lime and grassy hops just barely kiss you with a breath of bitterness...I like it. Nothing off putting, clean well brewed drinking lager, I want some of this when it gets hotter this summer. Enough herbal/grassy hops to balance out the biscuit/pale malt sweetness, this well crafted clean not off flavors.

Mouthfeel is light bodied sturdy carbonation, not overdone not residual sweetness crisp clean finish...very easy to consume and refreshing.

Overall, the type of summer beer that we all need in our beer diet no matter how much we all like extreme barrel aged imperial stouts...I'll always have a place in my heart for something this light easy going and flavorful. (1,723 characters)

Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.