Longboard Island Lager - Kona Brewing Co.

Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-07-2002

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Longboard Island Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 618 | Hads: 2,336
4.76/5  rDev +39.6%

Excellent session. At only 4.6% this makes a wonderful session. I could drink this all day at the beach or at a bonfire. Nice and slow the mouthfeel is awesome (for an amateur) and is smooth as glass.

Appearance is a 3 only because I'm sipping straight from the bottle. (272 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

12oz bottle from the Widmer facility served in pint glass. Beer pours piss yellow, crystal clear, with a big white head. Marginal to nil aroma. Flavor is bland, lacking any kind of hop character, and with an adjunct sweetness which tries to be inoffensive, and fails in that attempt.

Pretty sure this is better from the Kona brewery. Not a lot better, but it wouldn't take much. (379 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -3.5%

Decent Lager that's a cut above your average bud or miller. It's cool, crisp, and has more flavor than what's out there. Still, it's not super fine in taste compared to other high quality lagers I have, but it's not bad for something so available. (249 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a slightly hazy pale gold with no head and some lacing. Nose is very bready with notes of heavy cereal grain and a hint of herbal hop character in the background. The taste is very similar. Light in flavor, mainly bready grains present which almost come through with a stale taste. Lager yeast comes through with a dry quality. Mouthfeel is light and moderately carbonated. Overall, this beer isn't that great. The breadiness gets in the way of the drinkability. (468 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

This beer is a really really good beer. I have it every summer and usually year around. I recomend it to friends and family. It is not a heavy beer but it has a really good taste to it. The smell is really good as well. It is a refeeshing beer. Great to sit back with and relax after working al day, or after working outside in the yard. (337 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%

Picked this up as part of a mixed six from Ye Ole Spirits in Frederick because I had not ever had a Kona beer and I figured it was a good time to try them. Not much to look at, thin with not much color. Smell was again disappointing which now had me very pessimistic. And the taste followed. I gave it an okay because I did not mind drinking it but certainly not buy again. I guess if there was nothing else available I would drink again. (438 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

This was poured into a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a pale orange color with a two finger white foamy head that dissipated within seconds.
The smell had a somewhat delicate spicy hoppiness.
The taste brought back the light spicy hops and combined nicely with a nice maltiness.
The mouthfeel had a nice smooth yet spiciness running over my tongue.
Overall, this is a nice session pale lager well worthy of having with venison sausage, mmmm....my favorite with this. (472 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10%

Pours a golden color in a 16oz pub glass with a one finger white head that takes it time to dissipate leaving some nice lacing.

I had a hard time getting the smell. Maybe it was me. I smell a little bit of a floral essence.

Taste was there. I got some maltiness that was balanced well with some hops.

Mouthfeel was good. Nice carbonation.

Overall I really like this one. Has a nice hoppiness that balances the maltiness well. I am sure to get this one again. (466 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Kona Longboard Island Lager

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a chilled copper mule. Served cold...

A) This is a light golden brew. Had a good finger of soapy head.

S) Sweet corn, white bread, grass, and light floral hops.

T) Refreshing flavor that follows the nose pretty closely. Decent malt sweetness, balanced with a little grassy/herbal hop bite. Pretty straight forward.

M) Lighter body with ample carbonation. Crisp and easy drinking.

O) Decent brew... Good lawn mower, warm weather type beer. (505 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear, pale gold with a lingering, thin white head.

S: Very mild aromas of grain, crackers, minerals, and grass take some time to reveal themselves on the nose.

T: Notes of grain, grass, beeswax, crackers, biscuits, minerals, and lemon are present in the mouth. The finish is very short and dry, providing the reviewer with fleeting impressions of grass, lemon, biscuits, and minerals.

M: Medium in body, smooth, and somewhat dry. Carbonation is firm and prickly on the entry, but quickly fades. This lager needs a little more heft to even out the texture a bit.

O: Not bad, but also not all that good. The best thing I can say about this lager is that it does not offend in any way. Still, it is just sort of lacking all around. Try this one at least once, but pick up a better lager when you're craving something bottom fermented and just about anything else is available. (889 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%

I drank one from the bottle and didn't pour it out into a glass. I enjoyed the first one so I poured the second one into a Stone Brewing Co. pint glass.

A: Pale, slightly golden straw color. Lighter than I was expecting. Little to no head retention which was kinda disappointing.

S: Almost piney, some citrus and then some dry breads or grains at the end. Smells refreshing.

T: Heartier than I was expecting, not as much citrus comes through as I expected. Slight spiciness from the hops which I enjoyed and it left a very smooth, albeit slightly boring aftertaste.

M: Smooth, medium carbonation. Easy to drink, could easily drink the whole six-pack.

Overall: Good, solid beach beer. Hawaiian beer = beach beer. Smooth, unoffensive but at the same time nothing revolutionary. Not nearly as good as Fire Rock (I highly recommend) but pleasant. I'll buy this again in this summer. (886 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear straw color. There's a finger worth of white-colored head that retains badly. Small streaks of lacing are left on the glass.

S: It's about what I expect from a pale lager: noble hops and sweet, crackery malt. But there's a really pleasant lime note in there that helps to set it apart from the norm. Aromatically it doesn't wow me - still, it seems to indicate this will be a good lager.

T: Again, the flavor is rather limey (especially to start), with touches of sulfur, butterscotch, and sugar cookie on the back end. The hops do just enough to ballast the sweetness, as it should (but hey, a bit more hoppiness wouldn't hurt ;)) For what it is, it hits the spot beautifully.

M: I think it could be a little drier on the finish - there's just a bit too much lingering sweetness around for me. But it's not oppressive like the pale lager I had yesterday (Full Sail Session Lager, FYI). I also think it's a bit too full bodied, but it's still really thirst quenching.

O: When I reviewed Full Sail's Session Lager, I said that a pale lager (when done right) can be one of life's simple pleasures. This is such a beer: nothing to wow the senses, but a spectacular thirst quencher after doing some menial labor. I'll keep this one around occasionally for that reason. (1,318 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: pours a 1/2" white head that recedes quickly. Straw colored and clear with plenty of carbonation evident.
Aroma: nice and mild with sweet lightly toasted bread and some mild fruity hop aroma Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a refreshingly dry finish.
Flavor: sweet barley malt, some white bread, with a mild fruity hop bite and a little bitterness in the finish.
Overall: this is a very pleasant lager and seems to me closer in style to European pale lagers than American macros. (493 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

My local supermarket has a build your own six pack area where you can buy beer by the bottle. I try to pick up a new beer each time I go, and Longboard looked good.

I poured it from a bottle into a glass. It formed a small head which disappeared quickly. The taste was very good. It had body without being overly hoppy.

In short, this is a good beer that I would love to drink again. (386 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona's Longboard Island Lager last week at The Lager Mill. I had this beer a long time ago and at the time I thought it was a solid Lager and I'm interested to see what I think of it now, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks looks nice, it got a similar style to the label on the other beer I have tried from them, I think the label goes good with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a very clear yellow color that was slightly pale and it took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking Lager, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, very grainy, biscuity and grassy like aromas with some doughy yeast aromas showing up in the background. I can't pick up any hop presence. This beer had an ok aroma and I found it to be very average for a Lager.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same exact malty aspect that they did in the aroma with that same amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with a nice grainy and biscuit like aftertaste that lingers a little longer than most Lagers. I thought this was decent tasting Lager, It was still a little bland like the aroma, but I liked the lingering aftertaste.

M- Smooth, clean, pretty crisp, slightly refreshing, light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was just slightly prickly. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that was true to style and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty close to average example of the style, it was very true to style and it had pretty much all the aspects that I would expect from a Lager, but it still was a little bland and it felt like it was missing a little bit of something. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, pretty crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I could probably drink more than a few of these, but I think the taste would start to loose my interest so one or two would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel. to me those were the highlights of this beer and I thought they were both pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it seemed just a little blander than the taste and I felt it was lacking something, but I don't know what that is. I don't think I would buy this beer again, there's a few Lagers that I enjoy much more than this one and I can't say I would recommend it unless your big a Lager fan. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means and it didn't have any off flavors or off aspects, but it fell pretty much right in the middle in every aspect and it wasn't too memorable. This isn't my favorite Lager and Big Wave Golden Ale is still my favorite beer from Kona, but I don't see how this Island Lager is any different from any other Lager. I appreciate the attempt but this one could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys. (3,556 characters)

I've been drinking this stuff since the summer of 2002, I probably first saw this and Fire Rock Pale Ale at the Yardhouse in Costa Mesa. At the time it was independently owned and operated in Hawaii on Oahu in Konatown. They've since teamed up with the Craft Brew Alliance, circa 2010 It's either brewed in Oregon, Washington at one of Widmer Bros locales or in New Hampshire at Redhook's facility. With that deal they also gained access to AB's distribution network so fast forward 12 years, I can now buy a beer I drank in SoCal in Steubenville, Ohio.

Pale fizzy yellow really easy to see throough, nice pocket of bright white head leaves minimal speckled lacing behind. Aromatics biscuit malt, this is as helles as it gets...what would you want on the beach in Hawaii? Probably something this thirst quenching, light herbal hops are there but this is a great all malt light lager. There's pleasant hint of pear, with the biscuit malts and a touch of powdered yeast notes.

Flavor smooth drinking beer, great biscuit malts, hints of citrus maybe lime and grassy hops just barely kiss you with a breath of bitterness...I like it. Nothing off putting, clean well brewed drinking lager, I want some of this when it gets hotter this summer. Enough herbal/grassy hops to balance out the biscuit/pale malt sweetness, this well crafted clean not off flavors.

Mouthfeel is light bodied sturdy carbonation, not overdone not residual sweetness crisp clean finish...very easy to consume and refreshing.

Overall, the type of summer beer that we all need in our beer diet no matter how much we all like extreme barrel aged imperial stouts...I'll always have a place in my heart for something this light easy going and flavorful. (1,723 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear and softly golden with a flourish of bubbles and a fat white head that falls to a thin layer on top. Nose has the scent of light grain and some cut grass. Hints of flaky biscuit in the nose and a subtle noble hop presence. Taste is surprisingly smooth. It's creamy and just rolls over the palate seemingly forever and without end. A touch of herbal and hop bitterness takes this one to the finish almost dry. The biscuit is doughy and the grains start to stand out on the palate toward the end. The carbonation is ample but it does not disturb the creamy smoothness of this beer. Overall I would call it earthy and a good and tasty lager. Mild overall and with a just enough hops to keep it interesting. My only criticism is that it's a bit too soft for a lager. The doughy quality starts as smoothness but then drinks a bit heavier towards the end of the glass. It had some kind of sweetness like almonds in the very last moments after it warmed. (959 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A hazy light yellow with a very thin white head.

Smell: It smells like a typical lager. Hint of hops and malt.

Taste: Taste like a light lager that it is. Slight hops, maybe some fruit, floral, sweet.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and very light. Easily drinkable, which is good to have in a lager.

Overall: A good lager, light, smooth, nice taste. Could easily be a session beer. (416 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle with a bottled on date of 1/9/14; into a pint glass.
Appearance - gold, little carbonation; head, retention and lacing are weak.
Smell - orange peel and lemon zest.
Taste - follows the nose with the orange and lemon. Fairly refreshing.
Feel - too light, standard, ordinary.
Overall - I'm sure many light beer fans enjoy this one. (351 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a bottle into a pint

A: light golden hazy color with minimal head appears kinda oily on the surface.

S: Kinda a standard beer smell, malty, smells good to me.

T: Light malt with minimal bittering from hops finishes clean with a mild lemony kind of citrus flavor.

M: Fairly thin and gassy easy to drink though.

O: Decent sessionable beer, could drink this while soaking under the sun on the beach, I wish you weren't so far away Kaua'i! I'd recommend drinking on a hot summer day pretty refreshing brew. If you're looking for complex this isn't the beer, if you're lookin for a good beer to drink while hanging out by the pool or on the beach I'd recommend this to anyone. (690 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, bottled on 12/4/2013. Pours slightly hazy very pale straw color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of lemon, pear, apple, white grape, bready grain, light honey, floral, herbal, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of hop, malt, and yeast ester notes; with solid strength. Taste of lemon, pear, apple, white grape, bready grain, light honey, grass, herbal, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Light grainy tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, pear, apple, white grape, bready grain, light honey, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a bit. Nice balance of malt, hop, and yeast ester flavors; with solid robustness and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish as expected of 4.6%. Overall this is a good pale lager. Good balance and solid robustness of malt, hop, and yeast ester flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A pleasantly enjoyable offering. (1,318 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I know lagers get a bad rap on this site and...welll... it's for good reason. I mean they just aren't as tasty and sophisticated as a stout or IPA or barrel aged what have you.

Kona makes a good effort here. It's tastier than the recent Miller High Life and Genuine Draft that I've had, but that's not saying much. It's price point is not expensive but more so than other lagers out there so I can't recommend it too much. However, if you are into American Lagers, try this one! It's a decently interesting offering.

Start of with Czech Pilsners and work your way through brown ales then golden Belgiums then IPAs if you think lagers are your thing. (653 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from their unique stubby 12 ouncer into an oversized pilsener glass. A moderate pour brought about a frothy one inch, snow white head that dissipated quickly but hung in there for the whole bout. The beer is a pale straw color with about average carbonation and just a wee bit of haze.

There is a total absence of any corn or metal aroma-flavors. The malt flavor is delicate and somewhat sweet allowing a kiss of floral hops to shine through in both the nose and palate. The sweetness is reminiscent of very light clover honey, with even a tad of strawberry (especially in the aftertaste). Creamy and smooth mouth feel with some light lingering bitterness to finish off the swallow.

This is a truly outstanding lager beer which I will definitely keep in mind- especially on those special occasions after the warm months come. I bought this as part of a variety 12 pack for about 14 dollars at Three Bears Alaska (cheap!). (930 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a thin head on a clear golden colored body. The aroma is dry grain, a little grass and slight metallic taste. The taste is mildly bitter and grain dryness. The texture is crisp and fairly smooth with moderate carbonation. A fine drink for a typical lighter lager style. (275 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle with a 11/4/13 brew date poured into nonic.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy medium-hued gold color. Head starts off billowy and white, but fades pretty quickly to islands of head. There are a few bubbles streaming to the surface. Not as clean as I'd like in a pale lager.

S: Smells nice. Grass. Lager yeast. Slight fruity esters. There's also a bit of a hearty grain presence.

T: Taste is slightly underwhelming. This is supposedly an all malt lager, and that actually shines through a bit in the taste. It's slightly sweet, grassy, and crisp. Shades of fruit (pear?) are present underneath. Not bitter at all. Finishes crisp and grassy.

M: Bit thicker body than your typical pale lager. Very smooth, though, and really easy drinking. Properly carbonated.

O: This is a pretty good lager. It's easy-drinking and fairly flavorful for what it is. I wouldn't call Kona a "craft" brewery anymore, but this is a good step up for people drinking typical BMC stuff. (974 characters)

Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.