Fire Rock Pale Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Fire Rock Pale AleFire Rock Pale Ale

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 08-30-2002

Fire Rock Pale Ale is crisp, refreshing “Hawaiian-style” pale ale. Its signature copper color results from the unique blend of specialty roasted malts. The pronounced citrus-floral hop aroma comes from the liberal amounts of Galena, Cascade & Mt.Hood hops added to each brew.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fire Rock Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 635 | Hads: 2,122
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I love how the style of this brewer is to incorporate the fruits common in places like Hawaii. This variety is a pale ale weighing in at 6.0% ABV.

Look-It pours a crystal clear amber copper with large carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass. The head disappears shortly, but leaves a little bit of fine lacing on the glass.

Smell-It smells of fruity malts with a tinge of citrus-floral hops.

Taste-This pale ale deserves the name since it is a malt forward brew with only a little bitterness. I taste pineapple, lemon, and roasted grains, with a floral and citrus hop flavor.

Mouthfeel-It is smooth and crisp as well as moist. It is medium-bodied but on the lighter side I would say, but then again I am a hop head. It has an oily feel also and a slightly dry finish.

Overall-I would say that this beer is refreshing and complex, but some of the fruits don’t come out clearly enough. I remember their longboard IPA and I tasted very clearly a plethora of traditional Hawaiian fruits. Nice beer though! (1,013 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

A: draft into a 20 oz glass, honey colored with a short white head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: light citrus hops, grapefruit, lemon, sweet malt balance

T: grain flavors present, biscuit malt, light bitter hops on finish that aren't overpoweringly bitter

M: lighter with lower carbonation

O: well balanced (323 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The APA style is at the happy place of my hop-o-meter. That is, any more hoppy and I won't enjoy it. That said, this is hoppy but in a mellow manner. Orange amber color (beautiful!), good feel, refreshing. I wish I was in Hawaii. (240 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

Not bad, but not my favorite APA. And I really like APAs. Maybe my favorite. But I'd much prefer Sierra Nevada, deschutes or sweetwaters APA to this. It seemed to be lacking something. Or maybe it's that it was too malty. I'm too much of a green horn to know for sure. (268 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

I first tried this beer in Hawaii so it has a special significance. Every time I drink it it takes me back.

Look: Poured a hazy amber honey color with a off-white light caramel colored head. I held it up to the light and it had glorious sunset orange hues with a solid gold core. It left thin lacing on the glass.

Smell: At first caramely and biscuity but then comes a rush of floral, grassy, and peppery hues from the hops which include the high-alpha classic Galena.

Taste: Bitter right upfront with grapefruit rind, lemon, white pepper, and herbs leading to a subtle malty swell of toasted biscuits and honey. There is a peculiar buttery quality throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly crisp, and moist upfront. The finish is oily with a lingering bitterness but it is dry on the back of the palate.

Overall: Delicious, complex, satisfying, rich, and well brewed. It has the robust character of a full blown IPA but the crisp drinkability and quaffable characteristics of a Pale Ale. Definitely give this Hawaiian style beauty a try. (1,050 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not always a big fan of floral tasting beers, but I found this pretty smooth compared to some others tried with similar qualities. More of a floral smell but not a harsh finish. More of a Kona Castaway fan. (206 characters)

Brilliant amber with a 1” offwhite foam cap, spicy hop nose, some malt and biscuit, very creamy rich, a touch of sweetness, almost a hit of cocoa nut. Some bitterness but not big. Light fruit, just a touch of bitterness to balance. (233 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Second bottle from the variety pack; bottling date is February 16th, 2015.

Nice orangey color to this one. Reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which is always a good first impression for a pale ale. Clear, with some little bubbles rising up from the bottom, though it's just dark enough in color (or maybe just slightly hazy?) that I can only see them very well around the edges without shining some light through. The first bottle I had didn't form much foam on top, but I poured a bit faster and a bit more directed toward the bottom of the glass this time and got a nice, fluffy white head -- just short of filling the glass completely. I may have overdone it just a bit, heh. Anyway, the foam shrinks away after a bit, leaving a layer on the surface and some trails on the sides.

Smell is mostly bready, and not all that strong at first. Got a slight hint of piney hops when opening the bottle and I think I may be picking up just a tad of something tropical on the end of a sniff now, but overall seems pretty malt-forward for a pale ale. There is a definite "something else" in the smell, I'm assuming hop-related, but it's so faint I'm having difficulty placing it. What's there is kinda nice, but it's fainter than I expected. Gets a little iffier in the smell department as the beer warms up a bit -- not to the point of being offensive, but simultaneously stronger and less pleasant than it was at first, so I'm marking this one down a bit in the smell area.

Taste is an improvement over the smell. The malt has this really nice toasted sort of thing going on, reminding me of lightly toasted bread crust or a bran-flake cereal kind of thing. Hops are still fainter than I would expect of a pale ale, but I am getting a little bit of citrus and some leafy bitterness in there, too. I think I went into this one with my expectations set a little too high the first time I had it, but drinking a second one knowing that it's going to be a bit maltier than other pale ales I've had, I'm able to appreciate it a lot more. I get a hint of citrus and some bitterness right away, and then that blends into the malt, with the bran-flake sort of thing (and sometimes, some leafy flavor and bitterness) lingering for a bit afterward. Burps are a bit fruity. Can't say enough good things about that toastedness in the malt, though -- while the amount of hop flavor still doesn't seem like quite enough to me (for an American-style pale ale at least), the malt flavor in this is great.

Feel is pretty nice. Very, very drinkable, which is a feature that I've appreciated from all of Kona's beers so far -- though this one may just be the "heaviest/maltiest" feeling out of the variety pack, it's still easy to gulp down a bit more at a time than I normally would. There's that "just a hint of stickiness" going on much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale -- which, like in the appearance category, is a good thing to have similarities to. Nothing negative to say about the mouthfeel here at all.

Overall, this is pretty good. Not amazing, but certainly not anywhere near bad -- it's one that I find myself appreciating much more the second time around compared to the first, and the presence of that toasted malt is definitely a bit of a nice change from all the hop-forward beers I've been having lately. I'll be sure to try this again if I can find it on tap, or in a bottle that's not already several months old -- maybe the hops stand out more when it's super fresh. If so, I can see this easily going from "pretty good" to "great" -- it's definitely got one of the nicest malt flavors I've ever experienced in a pale ale already, the hops just need to stand out a bit more. (3,695 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Deep inviting copper as the bottle states, bubbly head but not overly carbonated like some brews. Not much by the way of smell on this pale ale without taste but it could be my olfactory sensors themselves. The taste itself is bright, the first notes are floral and sweet followed by a roasted malt finish. Some might think this is bitter but the finish lingers with such effect. A lot of flavor for the price paid, and quite enjoyable. Would be perfect with barbecue in my opinion, less of a beach beer by that right. The pale designation may be misleading to newcomers, as this ale packs plenty of flavor and finish in an appealing bottle and pour. I enjoyed it even more than Kona's "Longboard" variety. Solid 3.5+ (717 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a bubbly white head but the real winner is the beer itself. The beer color is a clear reddish orange copper that has a very nice glow in the sun. It definitely looks like it's glowing and on fire!

The beer smell is a bit light. The floral hop notes are pretty nice but annoyingly weak. The smell has a nice sweet and bready malt not that helps the smell. For some reason, the smell is mute to me, but that might be my own sense failing me.

The beer taste is interesting. The hops are fruity and floral, which bring out a pineapple taste. The malt note is also fairly bready and sweet. Interestingly enough, the beer also has a slight metallic taste in the aftertaste. The taste definitely comes out as fruity.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy for a pale ale but it's nice and smooth.

Overall, a pretty good and interesting tropical pale ale. Recommend getting and putting into rotation. (901 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -1.7%

This is a great APA. I bought it as a regular Pale, however, so it's a little bit hoppier than I was expecting. After an adjustment to my palette, I'm more than happy to throw a few of these back. (196 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

L - Brown with a hint of yellow where the light comes through

S - Light on the nose; Subtle pale ale aroma

T - Strong, clean, citrus taste but very chill and mellow. Just the right amount of bite

F - Light carbonation; medium body

O - It is what you want out of a pale ale and it is a very chill beer. If I did this review on the beach, I'd really get into it. Overall, can't complain about it. I would have this again. (423 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

No bottle date, but came in mixed pack with others dated around Feb 10th

Look - Pours a reddish burnt orange with small off-white head. Pour retention, okay distribution. Decent lacing. 3.75 paws.

Smell - Mostly malt with sweet marmalade and lemon notes, very little hop presence, but does exhibit citrus rind. Cereal malt notes present as well. 3.25 paws.

Taste - Mostly bready malt with slightly sweet off-dry finish. Tastes of white wine and subtle dankness arise. Bits of raisins, biscuit, and cereal. 3.5 paws.

Feel - Thin to medium bodied, somewhat wet. Tingle on tip and sides of tongue. 4 paws.

Overall - Never been a fan of Kona mainly because I had found their hoppy offerings underwhelming, and this fits into that category. But, this was part of a mixed pack I received as party ransom, and actually enjoyed their lighter beers, Last one to try is Castaway IPA. 3.5 paws. (901 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: The body is a slightly hazy, dark copper in color, with a modest off-white head, which retains well. The lacing is scattered in patchy clumps.

Aroma: Pale malt and caramel vie with moderate herbal hops, the effect of which is pleasant.

Taste: Upon tasting, caramel and white bread present themselves, soon followed by light and moderate fruit flavors as the taste progresses, -the herbal hops offer a moderate bitterness to offset the sweetness of the bread and caramel flavors. The hops, while fairly mild, linger on well beyond the point were all of the other flavors have dissipated.

Mouth feel: Full and soft, with seltzer-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A nicely-crafted, drinkable example of a familiar style

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice. (879 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz 7 month old bottle. Pours orange with foamy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of pale malt, caramel and herbal hops. Body is medium and slightly crisp. Herbal, piney hops, caramel and bready malt and some fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long and dry. Average brew. (279 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This pours a semi-clear color with a slight off-white head. The aroma is slightly malty. The taste is bold with malts yet has quite a bite to it. Fairly easy drinking with a smooth flavor and a toasted finish. Quite nice overall. (229 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled on 7/25/14. A little past its peak, but with 6% ABV and that avowed hop character, it should still be a fair representation for this Kona creation.

Poured in to an IPA glass, the unique look of this beer immediately catches my eye. Despite the fact that the head disappeared about as quickly as it formed, with scant lacing to be found, I am struck by the appearance. The tangerine-grapefruit color of the beer looks almost electric when its chilled haze meets the light. Interesting. The aroma promises bright tropical fruit, with a subtle essence of pine. A little biscuity malt in the background rounds out the nose. The flavor brings sweet bread, subtle dried fruit, lightly toasted malts, and a balanced hop character. Mild pine and grapefruit. This is a well-rounded brew. The mouthfeel is on point, with just enough body and carbonation to keep this refreshing. I believe the few extra months have mellowed this beer, as I remember it being more vibrant when it was in season. As it stands, this is superbly sessionable, perhaps more so now that time has reigned in the flavors a bit. I have enjoyed it either way. It's nice to see an American Pale Ale that is not trying to masquerade as an IPA and brings it's own unique qualities. I put this near the top of my list when a Pale Ale is in order. Fresh or mellowed, it's always delicious. (1,357 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Like the label! The beer pours a rich orange, very little head and light carbonation. The aroma is malty with fresh hop overtones. Nice balance. The taste is sweet and malty at first then finishes with a light hop bite. Decent mouth feel and overall a nice offering from Kona. 6.0%ABV (284 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Imbibed from a short beer ( pronounced sho-aht bee-ah) glass at the Ritz in Orlando. Nice light head when delivered. Orange in color with a white head. Sweet and syrupy with a light consistent hop belt. Went great with the seared tuna appetizer, tenderest I've ever had filet main course and following cheese plate. ( switched to Cabernet for desert) Not sure if it was as good as it would be fresh on the big island, but tasty none-the-less. (447 characters)

A: Pours golden-orange. Decent head, dissipates quickly.

S: Citrus, floral

T: Surprisingly limited hoppiness. Solid citrus flavor (even detect hints of pineapple).

M: Crisp, clean. No lingering.

O: Different than other APAs I've had. Solid. (246 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: crystal clear; copper colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin collar; nice lacing;

S: biscuit malts; a bit of tropical fruit hoppiness in the background;

T: well balanced; lightly bitter finish;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: easy drinking; flavor was a little blah; (310 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Fruit flavors followed by a distinct readiness, caramel, and malts. Good not great pale ale, but perhaps a bit jaded as I live on the islands and can pick this up fairly cheap. (176 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pour creates a thick head that hangs around. Nice lacing. Not a ton of flavor on the front when cold, but has an ok finish. As it warms the flavor moves to the front, but not a lot of finish then. Decent mouthfeel. Not a bad beer at all, easy to drink, but not a ton of flavor. Certainly wouldn't avoid it, but wouldn't seek it out either. (345 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Opaque burnt amber with a white half finger head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing.

S: Guava, mangoes, pineapple.

T: Great malt/hop balance intermingled with Hawaiian fruits. Low bitterness. decent.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation. A dry finish.

O: OK, just not a great pale ale. Sessionable. (323 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Very close to bright clearness, but there is a little haze to it. Very soft brown color, hints of orange. Nice lace sits on the top where a nice white head used to sit. Somewhat tart in the nose, black currant and cherries, meshed with hops and wet grain feed. Alcohol right in the beginning of the taste, wasn't expecting that. Some cinnamon, and toasted grain in there as well. Really nice aftertaste, hops and crushed pepper. A little watery maybe, but really not a lot of complaints here. I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would... (541 characters)

Fire Rock Pale Ale from Kona Brewing Co.