Fire Rock Pale Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Fire Rock Pale AleFire Rock Pale Ale

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 08-30-2002

Fire Rock Pale Ale is crisp, refreshing “Hawaiian-style” pale ale. Its signature copper color results from the unique blend of specialty roasted malts. The pronounced citrus-floral hop aroma comes from the liberal amounts of Galena, Cascade & Mt.Hood hops added to each brew.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fire Rock Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 637 | Hads: 2,138
4.82/5  rDev +33.1%

Sample dated 12/07/2010. Word under the cap: Paki=Splash

A - Pours a light cloudy red to orange color. Three fingers of off-white head that dissipated quickly. The lacing lasted all the way down.

S - One of the best scents I have had from an APA. Malts, mixed with citrus fruit. Had to take it in a few times, just because I liked it!

T - Malts and a slight sweetness followed by a touch of dryness, which is TOTALLY in balance. Finishes slightly bitter and again noted the dry.

M - Smooth, dry, sweet & crisp. Carbonation is dead on.

D - This is a great APA. I highly recommended it.

4.8/5  rDev +32.6%

I deeply enjoyed this beer, in fact, I wish I was drinking one right now. A surprising flavor and texture for an American pale ale - a style which doesn't usually appeal to me. The color is a deep orange, almost rusty shade, with almost no head. But what I really enjoyed about this beer was the smoothness. The hop and malt flavor is extremely well balanced. The carbonation lends the beer a great mouthfeel that makes this one very drinkable. Although the flavor is a tiny bit thin and mildly fruity, I thought it was worlds better than other pale ales in the American "canon" (Sierra Nevada springs to mind). This may become my new default beer.

4.54/5  rDev +25.4%

A - Poured a light cloudy reddish-amber. Great head that fell to lace that embraced the glass the whole way down.

S - One of the best aromas I have had from a beer. Malts mixed with many fruits, a fruit cocktail if you will. Sweet but just the perfect amount. Amazing.

T - Malts and grains followed by a sweetness that balances extremely well. Finishes slightly bitter.

M - Smooth with and crisp burst and a lingering finish.

D - Great beer. I can't wait to try this on tap if I can find it. Highly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

I think this is my new session beer, and one of my new gateway beers to show newbies what's up. The pour was a nice burnt orange color with a slight haze to it. Head was nice and web like and stuck to the glass very well. The smell was kind of bland to me at first and surprised me a bit since I was expecting a more intense smell, but it hinted at the subtle flavor to come.

Something about the flavor of this beer is just irresistible. It has more in common with and english pale ale rather than and apa but it works perfectly. Up front are the toasted malts that give it a great slightly sweet and at the same time dry flavor, followed by a slight hop flavor and a perfect mouthfeel that makes you reach for another sip. I am not usually a fan of malt-up-front beers, but the fact that the malt in this one is not super sweet and cloying makes it perfect. Get out and try this one now, you will not be sorry!

4.52/5  rDev +24.9%

A - Slightly hazy amber with gold highlights. Thin tan head dissipates quickly.

S - Malty sweet background with floral hops in the foreground.

T - Well-balanced malt sweetness with a nice hop accent.

M - A little thin, but well carbonated

D - I think I may have found a new favorite beer. This is smooth and drinkable. Wow.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

My first brew from Hawaii! Pours out to a hazy copper, forming a large whipped off-white head of fine bubbles with excellent retention and very good clumpy lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is really nice...freshly crushed citric, piney resinous hops, more akin to an IPA. Swirling brings out some MJ skunk. Sweet pale malts and vanilla round it out. The taste is also more akin to an IPA...the hops are upfront and in the boatload. A touch of marijuanna skunk is infused with a nice balanced backbone of crystal and pale malts. There might be some Munich in there, too. There is a slight mineral water taste only as a forethought in the middle. Apple esters in the middle, with a very well-balanced bitterness and lingering pine and grapefruit in the aftertaste. The finish is clean and the mouthfeel is very good. Imagine a Stone IPA with less bitterness, more body, and more crystal malt. Obviously dry-hopped, which for a pale ale, instills a sense of pride from the brewmaster. No perceptable off-flavors. Alcohol is imperceptable.
Color me impressed. I was a little skeptical, as Hawaii obviously hasn't made much of a dent in the brewing industry, if only for financial reasons. This brew proves that Kona BC means to do business, and they do it very well. What a great find! I'd love to try their IPA!

4.49/5  rDev +24%

Born on date od 14 dec 05, made in oregon still???

Pours caramel to orange, with a 3 fingers+ rocky as hell offwhite head. Head retention and lacing are average

Smell:: Malty sweetness, piney hops, followed by some caramel

Taste: Rich fruitiness, piney/floral hops& caramel dance together. A nice hoppy/bitter & slight dry/finishing finish

MF: Slight thickness with good carbonation. Great balance in this beer

Very drinkable, great session ale. When fresh,I highly reccomend this, a very well put together PA! Or as they'd say on the big island: onolicious!!

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

(#2, 8/2002) This pours with little head, but maintains an invitingly beautiful copper color. The initial aroma hints of its citrusy hoppiness. Although pretty it has a light texture, the taste is wonderfully tart. Excellent American PA. I like how in Hawaii the pronounce it Pal-ey, Al-ey.

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Rich and sweet. (What my wife wishes I was.) Enjoyed this on tap at the Outback on Oahu. (We went to the Kona Brewing pub in Hawaii Kai but settled on buying t-shirts because it was 11:00 in the morning.) Extremely gorgeous carmel/orange color in the glass--and this was one of those great frosted mugs. Huge head that lasted like suds through the first half of the mug and brought a bite of hops and a rich, malty sweetness to the mouth. I didn't know what to expect when I ordered it, but this was a pleasant surprise and one of those beers that I'll consider (at least on tap) any time, anywhere it's available. The sweetness was not cloying, but rather a welcome balance to the prominent hops flavor. Excellent. Ono Brah!

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

Date on the bottle says Apr 27 '10.

A: Very attractive beer! Poured into a glass, it looks like the beer that you would see a picture of in the dictionary under "beer". Orange tan color, a bit darker than the pale ales I'm used to seeing.

S: Smells like tropical iced tea mixed with beer. I can smell pineapples and oranges along with the yeast. Smells wonderful.

T: Sweet at first with that tropical fruits thing going on. Increasingly bitter hops as it sits on the tongue, maybe a little too much for its style. Overall, a very tasty beer. I can't give it a 5, but I've given lesser beers a 4, so its a 4.5.

M: Medium bodied so that the flavor coats the mouth, but not as crisp and refreshing as I would expect given the flavor. It could be my fault, since it seems like a beer that should be served very cold, and I'm drinking it at about 50F.

D: I could drink a good number of these I think. The flavor goes well with the sausage pizza that I am eating with it. At 6% alcohol, it's session-able for me.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

I picked up a six-pack of Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale at the grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a copper/gold color and is clear. A foamy one-finger white head forms and is quite resilient. The head dissipates to a thin creamy lid on the top of the beer, and laces the sides of the glass nicely.

The smell is quite strong, with a bold scent of hops and an aroma of evergreen, juniper or pine.

The taste is also quite hoppy, with a powerful but mild hop flavor, very little malt taste, and remarkably low bitterness. The hop flavor is very well done. It tastes a little like an IPA.

Mouth feel is light, crisp and refreshing. The beer is fairly heavily carbonated.

This is a very drinkable beer, and not at all what I expected. Given it’s price point and availability, there’s a good chance I’ll have Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale again. It is a very nice pale ale, especially for the summer season.

4.37/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Bottle indicated 6% ABV.

Clear copper/amber color with a decent white head from what I could tell. The lightning in the restaurant was bad, so my perception of the apperance could have been off. Nose is of a nice, but not overwhelming, smell of hops. But of maltiness as well. Taste is very well balanced. There's a definite hoppiness and a very mild bitterness. Malt presence. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a medium amount of carbonation.

Extremely drinkable. Downed two of these without batting an eye. Will definitely try again.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

My first beer from Hawaii. Didn't get to try any of these when I was actually on the islands, as I was too young then. Pours a light amber color with a small head that doesn't stay around and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has a bit of caramel and a nice mellow citrus hop presence. The flavor is nice. Very smooth and easy to drink. Good hop character and nice malt backing. Very nice.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

This beer was poured into my crystal mug and produced a clear amber with a white, one finger high bubbly head. It dissipates slowly and leaves great lacing.
The smell is almost IPA like, but that is a plus in my book! Flowery hops and a malty background.
Tasting the beer those flavors are confirmed. Fruity hops up front, balanced by some more earthy flavors and malt. Great bittersweet finish!
Great brew! A fantastic pale ale!

4.34/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle in to snifter. Slightly off white head, decent lacing. Beautiful copper, amber colored...the two marry in a foggy hazy glaze, very pretty beer.

Molasses, honey and caramel on the nose...warm, sweet and inviting.

Medium carbonation, tiny bubbles burst upon the tongue...followed by a inviting sweet malty extravaganza. Dark molasses mingles with the layers of caramel, creamy cashews and macadamia nuts. A rather quick bitter finish then a pleasant touch of sweet burnt brittle is left on the lips.

I can't lie...I tend to think many pale ales are boring and lack character...that can not be said of this Kona brew. It's wonderful to look at and even better to drink...full of creamy, sweet in depth flavors...this is a very good PA...probably one of my favorites. Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

On tap at Lisa's Pizzeria in Rodanthe, NC. Pours a deep golden color with a minimal head. Aroma is sweet and slightly bready. Flavor is clean but complex with a distinct, almost fruity caramel followed by a dry but not overly bitter hop finish. Unique, tasty and very drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Served on tap and poured into a pint glass.

A- Brown, copper color. Not much head at all.

S- Has a nice hoppy, spicy smell.

T- A tad hoppy, but not too bitter at all. Very crisp and a little spicy.

M- A little hoppy, but it goes down well. Very crisp feel to it.

D- Very drinkable beer. Excellent pale ale. One of my favorites.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

12oz long neck. Consumed 6/16/10
A) Pours with a quarter inch head - creamy and wispy. Lacing is thin and sticky. Body has just a slight haze with mellow upward carbonation. Bronze with amber tones.
S) Caramel. Subtle vanilla. Some floral notes. Toasty.
T) Blast o' malt up front - yum! Nutty. Buttery. Toasted bread. It's like caramel popcorn with a sassy hop bite. The combination of malt and hops are well balance and interact well with each other. Finishes with a nice caramel and floral sweetness.
M) Smooth. Creamy. Medium body. Crisp in the finish.
D) A delicious Pale Ale. Well done Kona!

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

The beer pours a golden amber color with a half a finger of head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is nice. There is some nice caramel sweetness and a really nice citrus and earthy hop. I have some high hopes for this. The flavor is nice. Very spicey hop profile, almost peppery. The caramel sweetness from the caramel malts is also nice to balance the hops. I like it. The feel is nice and moderate to thick and creamy. Nice again. Overall, this beer is easy drinking and could easily be a nice session APA for me. Good solid beer.

4.29/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours slightly hazy copper body. Nice aroma - solid malt with just a little hops and maybe caramel sweetness. This is a very tasty pale ale that is very well balanced between malt and hop bitterness. The aftertaste is a little more on the bitter side but just barely. This is the end of my first sixer (not all today!), and I will definitely buy it again. I don't think I have had many of Kona's offerings, but I will not hesitate to try more. THe moutfeel is right about where it should be - medium bodied with a good carbonation and a crip finish. This will be one of my new favorites for American Pale Ales I think. Not overwhelmingly hoppy and well balanced malt base. Good for just one or as a session. I would highly recommend it if this is your style.

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my more favorite Pale Ales, Fire Rock has the ability to refresh me and give me the hops I crave.

It is bitter enough for me to feel sustained for a short period and a color that is almost like a red ale. It has a nice floral aroma and the body is pleasant.

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Had this beer on tap in Kauai a few times and I was very impressed.

Nice looking beer - a bit hazy with a bright copper color.

Aroma is earthy. Perfect American Pale Ale aroma. Balanced and not shy with the hops.

Tastes surprisingly spicy. Whatever hops they use are really shining through and complimenting the sweet, bready, light malt perfectly. The citrus is there from the hops, but the grassier notes are dominating. A bit drier than most APAs, which is nice.

Mouth feel is grainy and prickly, with the heat from the spicy hops coming through from front to back.

This beer has a lot of big flavor and is somewhat "filling," so the drinkability will suffer slightly. But I would drink it all day.

4.27/5  rDev +18%

I enjoyed Kona's Longboard Lager so I gave the ale a try. Pours a tinged copper, a little too thin looking for my taste but many many ever rising bubbles gives it a decent white head. Smells mildly floral hoppy with pineapple maybe or do I just have Hawii on the brain? Tastes surprising flavorful for its thin appearance with decent hop and malt balance. The tiny bubbles makes it easy on the tongue. Aloha!

4.27/5  rDev +18%

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a slightly chill hazed copper color with a small white head. Fades pretty fast and leaves large fish eye bubbles on the top.

Very nice citrus and grassy aromas. A solid malt backbone assists in the endeavor. Slightly bready. A tiny bit of figginess in the aroma as well.

Great flavor. Terrific hop flavor with perfect bitterness and just the right amount of maltiness to add great balance. Bitter finish with a touch of sweetness in the end as well. A great flavor in this one.

This was a great pale ale. Perfectly balanced, perfect hop flavor and bitterness. Slightly watery on the mouthfeel but a nice, lingering hop bite. Fits the style perfectly. What else can I say; a great APA.

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

I first tried this beer in Hawaii so it has a special significance. Every time I drink it it takes me back.

Look: Poured a hazy amber honey color with a off-white light caramel colored head. I held it up to the light and it had glorious sunset orange hues with a solid gold core. It left thin lacing on the glass.

Smell: At first caramely and biscuity but then comes a rush of floral, grassy, and peppery hues from the hops which include the high-alpha classic Galena.

Taste: Bitter right upfront with grapefruit rind, lemon, white pepper, and herbs leading to a subtle malty swell of toasted biscuits and honey. There is a peculiar buttery quality throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly crisp, and moist upfront. The finish is oily with a lingering bitterness but it is dry on the back of the palate.

Overall: Delicious, complex, satisfying, rich, and well brewed. It has the robust character of a full blown IPA but the crisp drinkability and quaffable characteristics of a Pale Ale. Definitely give this Hawaiian style beauty a try.

Fire Rock Pale Ale from Kona Brewing Co.