Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 302 | Hads: 1,274

I cant believe i havent rated this beer yet. The best brown ale I have ever tried and followed closely by bells best brown ale. The 2 are so similar other than the koko brown has coconut flavor. take everything i said in my review of best brown and add the coconut and its so undiscribable (289 characters)

I Have tried EVERY American brown ale and specialty brown ales available in my area and even the Rouge hazelnut or Dogfish heads brown ale does not touch this one IN MY OPINION! It just smells amazing and tastes so good in summer or winter. I buy cases of it when it comes out and never want to drink the last ones. :) would love to try on tap. (344 characters)

Koko Brown is an excellent nut brown ale with a creamy coconut finish. I have had it both on tap and out of the bottle and it is much better on draft. For how sweet the finish is I found it to be a rather sessionable beer. Like the new addition to the Aloha Series! (265 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +36.7%

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Every time I sample a brown ale I am disapointed. They tend to look like they will have good flavor but are generally bland and mostly flavorless. However I found this wonderfully expressive brew on tap while attending the EIWA Wrestling Championships in a small local tavern in Piscataway, NJ. I almost didn't try it, but it looked like the only beer on tap that looked at all palatable.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The color looked like any other Brown Ale. I didn't take the time to spend time with the smell as I was with some people I hadn't seen in a long time and I did not have a lot of extra time and like I said I wasn't expecting it to be anything special. I took a sip not expecting much but I was wonderfully surprised! The taste was rich, sweetish and complex.

I am a malt man as my name implies not caring for most bitter hoppy brews. Maybe it was the surprise of not expecting anything really good as brown ales although far better than lagers, generally are non descript to me. But this brew not only got my attention, but ignited my taste buds to wanting more.

Generally I only have one brew at a sitting because what I like generally has a high alcohol content, but this is only 5.5%, so I FORCED myself to have a second one. It did not disapoint.

Since McEwan's Scotch Ale is not available in the US anymore I have been slowly sipping the case of Founders Backwoods Bastard Ale I was lucky to get when it was released in November. Now when that is gone I have found another beer to drink. Luckily upon doing a little research, there is a distributor only about 1.5 miles from my house that carries it.

KOKO Brown Ale is a real treat. Give it a try. It is not for those who drink so much commercial beer that their taste buds have rotted away or those who just want to get a buzz. It is for those who appreciate real flavor.

Who would have thought a coconut beer would be sooo good? And I just stumbled onto it at a little corner tavern. Go figure.

Stay thirsty my friends! (2,034 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +36.4%

4.91/5  rDev +34.5%

This beer, on tap, is my favorite beer to drink by far, as far as drink ability goes. Malty, smooth, easy as hell to drink. And the coconut is powerful enough to be noticed, but not overpowering. Touch of bitterness at the end of the drink. Just a damn good beer. In the bottle it's coconut is not as noticeable, but still damn good.
Just drink it (348 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +32.1%

Great beer. Nice sweet but not overbearing taste. Great to accompany food.

Would buy this again and would advice others to do so. Not too strong either, so can be enjoyed without worrying about the strength.

I actually think the caramel tastes are stronger than the coconut.... That said there is a nice mellow coconut after taste. (334 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The brewary told me you maintain temp ~30 deg F. 10 # CO2.
This beer can be bought in keg form which is distributed by Anheuser-Busch, can only be bought in bottle form seasonal. I love the roasted coconut taste and i love coconut. The toasted mahogany flavor comes out. Not the avg Brown Ale. (293 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers. Beautiful mahogany color, nice aroma, velvety mouth feel and a finish that leaves me ready for another one. The coconut flavors really come out after warming up a bit. Overall, a really great balance between hops and malts and a unique and tasty combination of flavors. (295 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you like Brown beer and are a fan of Coconut, this is a fantastic brew...just tried it for the first time. Reasonable price $5 on tap. The coconut aroma lets your taste buds know what's coming. Good bite and flavor, smooth on the palate. Best brown I've tried yet. (267 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Half finger of light tan head. Nut brown amber coloring. Clear.

S - Dark malts, coconut and chocolate come through in the nose.

T - Starts as an excellent brown ale. Moves into a light coconut flavoring. Clean finish with lingering notes of coconut.

M - Smooth and creamy with light carbonation.

O - This beer would be great without the coconut flavoring, just as a brown ale. With wonderfully abundant coconut notes in the nose and a touch of coconut in the finish, this beer is taken to the next level of craft beers. (564 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

I will say, I am a fan of all of Kona Brewing's offerings. That being said, I'd never had the Koko Brown until now. I poured it from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Small off white/tan head, with a nice dark copper color. First sip was a nice carmel and coffee note, with slight hops on the finish. The glass laces nicely, and it's quite refreshing. Great drinkable beer. Not thick or heavy, but a good drinkin beer! (421 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Found this one in Seattle as well. Loving that this one is from Maui since the Mrs. and I got married there.

A: Dark brown with a nice tan skim coat on the top - leaves a good lacing in the glass

S: Nose is quite interesting - coconut comes through right away and a malt plus nuttiness

T: coconut, malt, and some nice bitter hops in the finish,

M: carbonation is medium - not too harsh

O: I really dig the coconut in this beer. I plan on using this element in a future brewing project with my favorite brewmaster.

T: (523 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from bottle into tulip.
Pours a chocolate color brown..almost like a coke.
No head, but a bit of lacing is present.
Smell is so good. Toasted coconuts and malts dominate.
Taste is wonderful. Again, toasted coconut is present, but works so well with the toasy malts. I taste a bit of chocolate as well.
Slightly dry finish but crisp, fresh, and refreshing. I really like this brew. This is my first one since having it at the Brewery in 2010...and I loved it then. So glad to see it here on the east coast. I will be buying this for sure again and again. One of, if not my actual favorite brown...and I usually dont love brown ales...
Cheers! (649 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

what a great beer a little bit of aftertaste but it goes down smoothed this is mr beach beer sitting on the beach drinking this would be heaven i use to drink brown ales but never found one that hitthe spot but oh baby does this hit the spot so find your beach and drink (270 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

A-Burnt orange tinged brown color...nice off white head with good lacing on glass

S-Excellent coconut aroma. Nothing subtle here. I also note vanilla, nougat, and caramel.

T-Coconut is strong here as well but not quite as dominant as on the aroma. Still a nice almond joy type flavor to this with coconut, nougat, some light milk chocolate and some light almond like notes....

M-This is the only drawback. I know it is just a brown ale but I wish it had just a little more heft in the body. Despite the wonderful flavors it has a very light body and comes across as "watery" on the finish.

O-This might not be for everyone but it is for me. A top notch flavored brown ale. I would love to have this and Tyranena's Rocky's Revenge (bourbon barrel aged brown) on hand at all times for my brown ale's in my dream bar. (818 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +17%

I am almost finished with the last batch of beer that my local, in-person trader, tone77, dropped off for me. It has been an interesting go, with lots of styles that I would otherwise eschew, but which allow me to keep my hand in.

From the bottle: "Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this roasty, smooth, mahogany colored ale and you will feel like you are on a warm sun-drenched beach in Hawaii. Aloha!"; "Since 1994, Kona Brewing Co. has been committed to making handcrafted ales and lagers of uncompromising quality. We invite you to visit our brewery and pubs whenever you visit Hawaii. Mahalo!"; "Ale Brewed with Toasted Coconut and Natural Flavor Added".

My pour was creating a good bit of head so I backed off to allow it to settle a little before proceeding. I started with close to two fingers of foamy, light-tan head, but the intense carbonation caused it to bubble and burp its way out of existence. Truth in advertising strikes again! It was, indeed, a mahogany-brown with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see through walls. The neighbors need to let the dog out, apparently. Nose was rich with caramel and coconut and I was reminded of a "Peanuts" strip in which Linus or Lucy had a box of chocolates and inadvertently chose a coconut and then made a face. I remember thinking that I liked coconut as a kid and especially my grandmother's pound cake with coconut frosting. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was initially rich with coconut, but then the caramel and chocolate of the malt began to kick in and it was like liquid candy! Finish was decidedly sweet and you had best like coconut going into it because that was the lingering flavor. I can promise you that this type of thing is not usually my bag, but as an occasional step away from intense hops, I liked it. You have to decide for yourself as to whether it would be to your taste. (1,948 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +17%

A - White head with ok retention and low lace. Beautiful mahogany maple brown.

S - Soft, shaved, lightly toasted coconut and brazil nuts. Touch of brown sugar.

T - Super smooth. Soft coconut, hazelnut, and brazil nut. Just a hint of herbal hop in the center. Light caramel finish.

M - Medium body to style. Nice smoothness.

O - Very drinkable. Great coconut flavor without overpowering the brew. (399 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brown body with a off-white head.

Nose is dominated by toasted malts and coconut. You can really smell the coconut in this beer.

Taste is light to medium bodied with, again, lots of nicely toasted malt and a toasted coconut flavor. Very nice and malty and really runs that nice fine line of malty brown ale, with maybe even hints of german bock. Not really much in the way of hops other than to add a mild bitter background. This beer is all about the perfect balance of rich session brown ale with toasted coconut.

I was really not expecting to like this beer at all, but man. Homerun. The toasted coconut flavors and the toasted brown malt go together like peanut butter and chocolate. A perfect match. A great session beer, but could also go really well with dessert. (I'd vote for chocolate ice cream on a warm day) ;-) (834 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on-tap into a pint glass at TJ Stone's in Old Town Alexandria, VA, as well as Kooper's Tavern in Fells Point, Baltimore

A: Nice brown color, very thin tan head with some good lacing
S: Coconut, coconut, coconut - they didn't hold back
T: Again tons of coconut and really well done in doing so - makes the beer sweet, but not over-the-top
M: Thin but nice and smooth
O: This is an excellent easily-drinkable spring/summer beer. A very nice change of pace from the usual brown ale, and very easy to chug through a few of these (530 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

What a nice surprise this beer is. I didn't expect much since I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but this was good.

The appearance is dark with amber reflextions, a thick light brown head that disappears in a few seconds.

The smell is nice but weak. The tastes is obviously sweet, with vanilla, chocolate and coconuts. But not too sweet, the malts compensate very well. After a couple of seconds the roasted coconuts overwhelm the other flavors (in a good way), leaving you craving for more.

Considering this is not a heavy beer, I finished the bottle way faster than usual.

Medium body and medium-high carbonation. (615 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Dark Brown with out the blackness raining in. There is a copper tingle running through this beer.

Smell: Littlw on the low side of things. It is fine just not that powerful.

Taste: I was blown away by the taste of this beer. It was powerful but wonderful. It rolled through the mouth with a wonderful chocolate flavor mixed with carmel. I love this beers flavor.

Mouthfeel: Little to much carbonization.

Give it a try. You will enjoy... (452 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Picked this one up as part of a mixed 6 at Ye Ole. Outstanding looking beer with a very interesting smell. Not the normal brown smell, very interesting. Same with the taste, you definitely notice the coconut which adds some uniqueness to the flavor that I really like. Very smooth and easy to drink. I enjoyed this beer very much and would certainly be wiling to buy in the future. (381 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a brown color with a very dark reddish hue. It has a medium sized brownish head that fades quickly and has minimal lacing.

S: The smell is mostly of strong coffee and coconut. There is also some hints of chocolate.

T: It tastes similar to how it smells consisting of coffee and coconuts. It leaves a nice coconut aftertaste.

M: It is kind of thin for a brown ale, but drinks very smoothly.

D: Overall this is a very enjoyable beer. It's a unique twist on the typical brown ale with the addition of the coconut. If you're looking for a typical brown, look elsewhere, but if you're looking for something new and unique, give this a shot. I'd definitely buy this again. (706 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured a light coppery brown, like a top shelf whiskey. Nice little cap of white foam that quickly dissipates save for a ring around the perimeter.

The smell was light notes of grain and toast and a good whiff of coconut.

Taste was excellent. The coconut was subtle, which is good because it could easily overpower a brew. Nice and smooth to drink, if a bit thin for the style. Great beer, easy to drink. Definitely worth repurchasing. Glad to see it finally available here, I'd been wanting to try this. (506 characters)

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.