Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 304 | Hads: 1,283
4.21/5  rDev +16.3%

KONA KOKO BROWN IS THE MOUNTAIN DEW OF BEERS. You know, like when you want something to drink, but you don't really know what you want but you know you want a soda, and you see the Mountain Dew and you're like "Fuck Yeah! Mountain Dew!!!" Thats what its like when I want beer and I see it sitting in the beer fridge.

A: Wtf, are they paddle boarding? It's hawaii, hit up some waves, fags. Greg Noll up in this mother

S- my first thought is port-o-potties. This beer makes me really happy, but ive never smelled it until this review, and it doesnt smell very good! Damn you BeerAdvocate, you ruined this beer for me by making me sniff it.

T_ Sooo sweet and rich. Think like BBQ'd coconut. Minus the BBQ sauce. Plus beer.

M= cant feel my mouth right now. must have drank too manies

O# i fucking love this beer. never let it go. stay in my life forever. but not like married. like one of serveral girlfriends that i can call upon antime.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It has a nice dark brown color body with a little head that lays down quickly. The smell has some vanilla notes and some coconut hints to it. The taste is down right awesome. I get that toasted coconut flavor up front and then the richness of the brown ale on the back of the tongue. It has a nice mouth feel and overall a darn good beer.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

A. Copper in color with a mild head.

S. Fragrance of chocolate, coconut, and malt.
Smells like a chocolate coconut cake...could
it taste as good as it smells?

T. I was pretty surprised when I took my first
sip of Koko Brown. I've had some other
of kona's offerings and they weren't that
memorable. When I first started drinking
beer, I got introduced through red and
brown ales. Like most people my taste in
beer changed as I discovered other
types of beer, so it had been quite some
time since I sat down to a brown ale. This
is by far one of the better ones I've had.

M. Creamy, not overly thick.

O. I really liked this beer. Not many beers can
taste as good or better than they smell.
Drink up!

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

A great looking chestnut brown with a beige foamy head. The scent of toasted coconut really comes through and there is a slight boozyness in the background. There is alot of cocnut here, maybe more than I would like. Its a bit sweet but there is enough other stuff going on to keep you interested. It has a light body and retained a fair amount of chunky lacing. This is a good picnic beer or a beer for those that dont like beer? An interesting brew and one that should be tried, especially for desert with maybe some fried bananas and vanilla ice cream.

4.14/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a deep ruby brown, with a nice head of fine, off-white suds. lovely and attractive lace.

Nose is full of toasty coconut. A hint of cocoa or chocolate in there as well. I really like this -- unique and distinctive.

Taste is very coconutty-- with more of the chocolate hint featuring alongside. Very enjoyable. There's also a slight hint of hops late in the finish, bringing this around full circle. I dig this brew and will be revisiting.

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

The palate just melts as the beer engulfs the mouth and seduces the taste buds with terms that are best reserved for romantic encounters. Succulents, sweet, rich, and fortified are just a few of the G-rated words that come to mind.

Pouring a deep mohogany hue, the lable describes it accurately as the brilliant clarity really shows off the masculine color. The beer builds a creamy light tan head that reluctantly settles to an intermittent sheet that skirts the surface with islands of lace left behind. The beer does all that a brown ale asks.

Aromas cause the senses to step back as the powerfully rich aromas of toffee, toasted nuts, chocolate, heavy cream, vanilla, and the most subtle of coffee undertones push through with strength and determination but without becoming a bully.

The flavors can't possible deliver the delight that was found by the nose. But it does! Strong but hearty sweetness of maple syrups are backed by the strong and succulent flavor of hazelnut, coconut, chocolate, light coffee, and medium toast in such a way that conveys the sense of becoming Nutella in an alcoholically induced glass. Vanilla, butter cream frosting, and savory starchy flavors offer the perfect delicately placed pillow to support the regal and masculine taste that leap off the page with confidence and artistry. Any bitterness is broad, earthy, and takes the shape of walnut oils and tannin.

Creamy with the starch creaminess of malt, but also with the right touch of carbonation that provides structure and roundness to the otherwise cloyingly sweet ale. The beer takes its own sweet time developing into the semi-sweet, semi-dry finish of woody hop dryness, medium alcohol warmth, and slowly fading malt richness.

Amazingly savory and deliciously smooth, this is one of those beers that you take shorter sips in order to let the beer last longer in the glass. But then there's the greedy part that wants to devour it all way too quickly. With only 12 ounces in my glass, I have quite a quandary!

4.11/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Overall, a pleasantly balanced beer. I was afraid that the coconut flavor would either be non-existent or over powering. It was neither. You get a pleasant hint of coconut that blends nicely with the overall nuttiness of the beer. It's especially nice to drink during the winter, dreaming of warmer, tropical days.

4.11/5  rDev +13.5%

A-nice brilliant amber with a nice dark cream colored head

S-caramel, grains, nothing special. has some toastyness to it. smells good for a brown ale

T-comes in with a good taste of toasty grains and coconut. it actually has a great flavor that sticks to the tongue with a decent bitterness. has a faint after-taste.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a dry finish

O-this is a very tasty and very drinkable beer. i could get a lot of this and always enjoy it. the coconut isn't too pronounced but it is noticeable, and appreciated. definitely one of my favorite brown ales out there

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass.

A: Pours a dark brown. Held to the light, a mahogany (dark red-amber) color is apparent. Sandy-colored head dissipates very slowly and leaves moderate lacing. Very little-to-no carbonation visible.

S: Smells of chocolate, roasted coffee with a slight hint of coconut in the background. Also smells a bit sweet, perhaps from molasses.

T: Same as smell. A blend of roasted coffee, chocolate and coconut. Brown sugar and/or molasses may also be present and hence has a somewhat sweet element to it. It all blends well. One of the best tasting beers I've had in a while.

M: Medium-bodied. No carbonation.

O: Overall one of the best beers I've had since Samuel Adams Noble Pils. This has become one of my new favorite beers. Reminds me a bit of Quilter's Irish Death. If you see this one, definitely give it a try!

4.09/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - nice dark brown cola like color. Bubbly head that lasted for a short while.

Smell - the roasty toasty of the beer is the most prevalent scent here. Smells really good actually. A great cool weather beer.

Taste - I actually really like this beer. It is unlike anything I have ever had before. I can really taste the toasted coconut.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - greater I am going to have again.

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 5/13/12
*From notes

A: Rich, robust bootstrap brown. A standard pour yields a 2.25 finger head that lingers for a while. Decent lacing and a colid collar follow.

S: It smells like it's been aged in bourbon barrels for months. Warm toasted coconut is king, and it's all over the bouquet. I get some vanilla and brown sugar as well. Lovely, lovely stuff.

T: The Brown Ale base is a great way to deliver what is all coconut all the time. The malt isn't too toasty, and it's easy to pick up on what the brewmaster wanted: toasted coconut. It's pretty prevalent from top to bottom, but then I dig coconut. If you do too, then you should peep this asap. A bit like a liquid Mounds bar.

M: Thick enough, sure. The carbonation is spot on, and the weight is surprisingly generous. Plenty of density and complexity.

O: What a find. I grabbed a sixer to share with my Pops, and he now proclaims this his favorite beer of all-time. Me? It may not be my GOAT, but it's worlds better then I was expecting. You can bet your ass that I'll be reaching for this one anytime I wanna split a beer with my Dad. My thumbs are certainly up for what is Kona's finest bottled brew to date.

4.09/5  rDev +13%

This beer poured out as a nice looking clear brown color with a nice looking off white head. The smell of the beer gives off some really nice notes of coconut and vanilla. The beer smell sweet for the most part. The taste of the beer is very nice in my opinion. I like the smoothness of the coconut how it comes into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is a little on the creamy side and yet light and dry. Overall I was really impressed by this beer. I actually want to get a few more of these to have on hand for a little. Very good stuff in my opinion here.

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance - Pours a dark, ruby brown with a nice head which dissipates rather quickly, leaving behind a very thin lace.

Smell - Light coconut, floral notes. Very faint.

Taste - Beautiful shredded coconut, lightly roasted cocoa malts... is that a menthol note playing in the background?

Mouthfeel - Light in body, with a decent amount of carbonation to tingle the senses.

Overall - This is a great spring beer. It just might be my favorite Kona offering. This and pipeline are neck and neck. Why Kona doesn't offer both these beers year-round is beyond me, because they are by far Kona's best two beers.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

One of my favorites, but I always thought it was mis-marketed as a winter seasonal. Now you can't even get it at all outside of Hawaii. While I normally like my Browns a little heavier, I don't mind having a lighter option once in a while, and always thought this would be a great candidate to fill the niche for lighter, hot weather brown with a tropical flair for the summer time.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is a clear dark brown with a one finger off-white head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is dark roasted malt with a little bit of chocolate and coconut.

Flavor has plenty of roasted malt but coconut also is front and center. Good chocolate flavor as well all blending together to create a wonderful taste. A tiny bit of hop bitterness is there to level out the sweetness. It's almost like a Mounds bar in a glass.

Overall a wonderful beer for someone who loves coconut.

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottle: Poured a clear brown color ale with a medium size light brown foamy head with some retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet coconut is totally dominant. Taste is also dominated by loads of sweet coconut taste with light caramel malt also noticeable. Body is light with good carbonation. Interesting but overly sweet and the coconut is so powerful that it gets to be overwhelming.

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked this up as part of a variety pack at F4L on sale for $13.

A- This beer pours a nice deep clear brown with a persistent tan 1" head with nice lacing down the glass.

S- Strong caramel malt with toasted coconut. I really didn't pick up much hops...

T- If you like toasted coconut - this is your beer! It has a delicious toasted coconut flavor with strong caramel malts.

M- This was a medium heavy beer with a very nice full mouth feel.

D- This beer was delicious ...but I LOVE coconut so... I found it to be somewhat on the sweeter side with nice malt and toasted coconut dominating. I honestly didn't find any hop bitterness, aroma, or flavor. But I don't care - I LOVE coconut!

I really enjoyed this beer and would get it separately or on tap. Yum! Desert beer!

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a clear, deep amber medium brown color with ruby highlights when held up to the light. The slightly off white head is about a inch thick when first poured before eventually settling to a big tick ring lining the inside of the glass and nice swirls of foam on the beer's surface. Pretty decent lacing. Aromas of caramel and molasses malts along with nice hints of coconut, chocolate, and nut. Flavor wise it has a nice sweet caramel and molasses malt sweetness upfront followed by the aforementioned hints of coconut, chocolate, and nut. The slight taste of oak is also present, and it is all rounded out with a slight hop presence of the back of the tongue. Very nice blending of all the various flavors going on here. Has a crisp, smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation and a nice clean finish. Easy to drink in the way a well crafted beer should be.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Koko brown is a standard color for the style, pretty much a straight-up medium brown. It's crowned by a head that rises to very close to three fingers. It settles to a drinkable height but remains large; retention is excellent. The thick foam that remains leaves good patching on the glass as the beer falls.
The smell offers malts with both a bit of bread and some sweetness, though not as strongly as I'd expect. The coconut is implemented exactly as I would have hoped. Overall I'd expect just a little bit more strength. Otherwise, it integrates well, it's malt-forward with a gentle sweetness, the coconut has the strength I've want without overpowering everything else, and there's a nice nutty character coming out as well.
Moving into the flavor, it's easy to appreciate the balance in this beer and the fact that it isn't too sweet. Coconut is integrated as well as it could be: it offers plenty of its flavor without being too much. It's difficult to hit that place where it's not too subtle but not too overdone on the other hand. Koko Brown gets that.
While I think it might have slightly too much bite, it's a well-rounded mouthfeel with a good creaminess and ample carbonation is a body hefty enough to hold it together without being too thick or heavy.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice 2 finger cream colored head that leaves a decent lacing in a 16oz pub glass.

Smell is really nice. Malts, as you would expect of a beer so dark. I can barely make out the roasted coconut that the bottle seems to be so proud of.

Taste is of malts with that slight taste of coconut right at the end. Second taste really gets that coconut taste.

Mouthfeel is alright. Nothing exciting and not much carbonation.

Overall a great beer in my opinion. I really like the maltiness of this beer and the coconut taste is wonderful. I would like more of the coconut taste to come out but still, this is a great tasting beer.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured very dark brown with A tan head which quickly disappeared.

The smell is dark malts and a little sweetness from the coconut.

The taste is sweet and malty with the toasted coconut coming through.

The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Didn't really taste like a brown ale but was still very enjoyable.

4.02/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Creamy tan head, with lacing from the top of the glass to the bottom. Reddish brown and clear.

Smell: Complex aroma, with notes of caramel malt, sweet tropical fruit, perfumy tropical flowers, and toasted coconut.

Taste: Malty, with subtle, toasted coconut and tropical fruit (pineapple?) flavors. Just enough hop bitterness to balance it out. Long, lingering malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth.

Overall: A well-made brew, but I would have liked more coconut character. The toasting seemed to have diminished the coconut flavor, and the tropical fruit aroma/flavor masked it as well.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

(best by Jan 20 2014 - it was about a month past that at time of consumption, yet had been chilled for months prior)

A: perfectly clear, tawny in color.... pearl-white sudsy foam, open-structured, medium bubbles, holds a cap.... love the bottle label design - reminds me a bit of some of Uinta's designs

S: beers like this (those with fancy, exotic or nontraditional ingredients) really aren't my thing, but this beer smells (relatively) damn fantastic.... a display of toasted aromas: coconut, hazelnut, amber malt(?)... the coconut doesn't smell artificial or like suntan oil, its inviting scent does fade noticeably after a few sips while, curiously, becoming more apparent in the taste...

T: the taste is good - doesn't quite live up to the promise of its scent.... bold toasted nut and grain flavors, kissed by coconut oil.... fair amount of hop bitterness and a mild, late hint of milk chocolate.... thankfully not sweet - they could've easily erred in that direction.... sure does have a nutty brown ale foundation, med-dark grains.... long-lasting toasty dry and bitter

M: not oily at all, only marginally smooth... probably could have a bit more body... actually, this is pretty darn dry with a bit of a bite.... it seems to approach medium-bodied, however, the dryness and carbonation (I do sense a club-soda like carbonic acid feel and taste) taper that off enough

O: a well-made, quaffable brew.... depth in flavor and body is unfortunately held back.... the one time I've had this on tap the flavors were more bold and the feel smooth and more fulfilling, so I suppose the carbonation in this particular bottle hurt it...

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is deep dark brown but super clear for the style. Smells like toasted coconut, blackstrap molasses, and sweet, nutty malts. The taste does bring a slight pine and resinous hop flavor to balance the roast and caramel malts. The coconut seems almost burnt in the mouth, which is pleasant, surprisingly. The mouthfeel is far less full than the typical brown ale. There is a distinct flavor that I have trouble pinpointing.

After about eight of the twelve ounces poured from this bottle have been consumed, I finally got it. It smells like whiskey! Jack Daniels and brown sugar. This is not a note that I have before experienced in a brown ale, but it works in this one. Whiskey and toasted kokonut make this a unique brew--and unlike many sweet ales it tastes as if it is stronger rather than weaker than the actual alcohol content. It tastes like hard alcohol--whiskey--but instead it's only...wait it does not say what percent on the bottle. BeerAdvocate says it's 5.5% but the spot on the bottle where the ABV was listed on other Kona brews is just empty space on the Koko Brown label. I guess I should be ready if I start feeling hammered, since it did taste just like JD.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Tulip pour and I am met with an amber colored ale with nice burgundy highlights. Beige head that dissipates too quickly. Ring around the glass.

Aroma is chocolate with nice coconut whiffs. Semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa round it out. Also getting some good vanilla whiffs.

Taste is like the smell. Chocolate and coconut. They did a great job incorporating the coconut and highlighting it in this brew.

Much too thin in the mouthfeel. Watery.

Overall I was happily surprised by this. I am not a huge Kona fan, but this completely made me turn back for another go around. Well done beer.

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.