Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,272 | Reviews: 302
2.25/5  rDev -38%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Nice creamy head to be sure. Minimal carbonation.

S. The aroma was more then what I expected. I was expecting a little bit of coconut, but as soon as cracked it open, I got an exquisite smell of coconuts before it even hit my glass.

T. I truly enjoy coconut, but not like this. I was hoping there would be a balance of other distinct flavors, but couldnt find any here. It was like tasting a very bitter mounds bar, thats not for me.

M. The mouthfeel was medium to average, nothing to write letters home about.

O. After I tasted this for the 1st time, I must say that it wasnt horrible, but certainly nothing I would ever purchase again. Not at all a good session brew by any means. Im placing the other five beers on the bottom shelf of my fridge, incase Im out of beer, and thats all there is. The only other option is to pour them down the sink and feed the fish.

2.33/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

May just not be my kind of beer, but I consider Browns to be one of my favorite beers. I'm looking for the beer to be good as a Brown first and then to be enhanced by the added flavors and variations. They focused on being different and missed on the Brown basics.

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on April 3rd.

A-Pours a brown orange color with hues of red. There was a tan head that dissipated within 2 minutes and left a little white ring around the edges. It eventually goes a flat.

S-Smelled nutty, sweet, and a hint of toasted coconut.

T-This beer tasted like someone dumped coconut tanning oil into it. The coconut taste, along with carbonated water, were really the only tastes I could sense. The aftertaste reminded me of what my mouth feels like after I vomit (not to be gross).

M-A little too heavy on the carbonation.

Overall-I will not drink this beer again. I love coconut, but not in my beer. The idea surrounding coconut in beer sounds interesting, but when it comes down to drinking it, I'll take another brown beer instead. Nice try.

2.52/5  rDev -30.6%

There's something about coconut that sings out to me, even if it is on the label of an unwarranted bottling by a relatively unknown brewing company. It's the mystery of the fruit, like a hidden jewel of milk and flesh hanging out of reach to those without either ape-like strength or a raging fire of human ingenuity.

I take mine in a glass.

Pours a disappointing absence of a head and... well...

It seems the conventions of beer have been all but burned at the stake in the making of this "brown ale." The coconut flavor is way over the top me. It smells okay, and even the aftertaste ain't bad, but drinking the thing provides the inescapable sensation of a lab-made flavor topped with Sweet 'n Low. Unfortunately reminiscent of the mask disguising your childhood antibiotics, this beer will be a drain pour for many.

As someone who will eat an entire coconut raw in minutes milk included, perhaps I set the standard too high. From what I remember though, Pipeline Porter doesn't bash you over the head with aggrandized "coffee" flavor, which is entirely the problem here. Ease off on the sweetness, let the malts take center stage, and retune the coconut and we'd have a desirable brown ale. As of now, it's a no go. Sorry.

2.56/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured from the botlle into Sam Adams sensory pint glass.

A: Looks appealing nice saopy looking two fingers width head that sits atop a cherry mahogany colored brew, plenty of bubble scoming up looks nicely carbonated.

S: slightly pedestrian smell with musty graininess forefront with a slight malt sweetness and although the coconut was apparent when first poured it seems to have faded into oblivion by the second sip.

T: Although i had hopes that the coconut would provide this beer with a more tropical feel the coconut in my opinion leans the flavoring towards more of a burnt toast than a tropical beer.

M: Medium bodied and carbonated nicely.

O: The slight coconut taste in the beginning is what made this beer average when it faded after the second to third sip there was nothing that made this standout. I would not pass one down if offered (i guess) but i will certainly not seek out another. Another novelty flavored brew to check off my list and now to avoid..

Prost!!!

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

I have no idea why I bought a beer called "Koko" from Hawaii and didn’t think that it might have coconut in it. I can’t stand coconut. This beer is significantly coconutty. The base beer is sugary, like dimestore chocolate wafers. If you grew up on those wafers (which came in diabetic vanilla, radioactive pink, and kona brewing company chocolate flavors), you can take a trip down memory lane with this beer. I couldn’t finish half the bottle myself.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

12oz bottle, dated 2/22/11. Pours a light brown with a medium creamy off-white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet (almost buttery) toasted coconut and lots of it with a little acidic chocolate.

The flavor is sweet brown sugar and coconut with some buttery chocolate and a very slight acidic bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is rather light bodied and watery.

Overall, interesting with lots of coconut but it's too one-dimensional and way too sweet.

2.65/5  rDev -27%

I loive the smell of coconut but I'm not a huge fan of the texture for some reason... Its warm here (unusually so) and I'm grilling so I decided to pop this...

Fairly straightforward malt aromas at first... The coconut essence begins to slowly creep through here and there but I think I might have been expecting a bigger kick from it than this is going to give... The merest essence is there but I find myself disappointed its not a bigger component... Sort of makes this fall in the average category...

Sharp metallic overtones right off the bat have me checking my glass for pennies? Crazy but true... I do get some of the roasted malt and every once in a while a little of the featured component but this is like putting a penny in your mouth... Blech...

Nuff said on this... Half a glass and I was finished with this one... Maybe a bad bottle?

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle generously given to me by Spanial's Beer because they "appreciate my business". Very cool. Bottle poured into my Kona "Liquid Aloha" pint glass.

A: Pours a light shade of brown, surprisingly translucent, but with a big frothy off-white head on top. Large pancake batter bubbles throughout.

S: Muted notes of biscuits and overly-sweetened malts, with just a touch of coconut underneath. The coconut notes become more distinct as the beer warms.

T: Coconut is by far the most pronounced aspect of this beer. The malts underneath don't remind me of a "classic brown", either. Bready sweetness, almost cloying. No hint of roastiness. No "nutty" character. Just a malt sweetness that reminds me of "scotch ale", and lots and lots of fake, *extracty" coconut flavor.

M: Unremarkable. Rather watery. Low carbonation. Nothing much to discuss on the finish.

D/O: This beer lacks balance. I like coconut, but not like this. It's not horrible, but there's nothing about this that would make me want to revisit it. I could finish it if I wanted to, but I don't need the calories, so down the drain it goes.

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the Kona Brewing Company's Koko Brown Ale, their coconut-influenced nut brown ale. The Koko Brown pours out a dark brown color, not quite as dark as the picture suggests. The foam on top is a light cream color, that starts fairly thick but fades quickly.

The aromas are subtle, dominated by roasted malts with a just a touch of nutty aromas. With some vigorous swirling in the glass I can pick up a little bit of that coconut I've heard so much about, but really only as an underlying layer.

The flavor profile is equally subtle. It's a soft brown ale, dominated by roasted (nearly burnt) malts with just a small influence of coconut and nut flavors. I let the brew come closer to room temperature to see if I get a little more, but I'm unfortunately disappointed. Actually as the Koko Brown comes up to temperature, it's becoming somewhat less drinkable. Sorry, but I'm not excited about this one.

2.83/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Thin half finger head. Lacing present from the pour. Color ranges from amberish brown to dark brown. Points lost due to a lack of head retention and other "head" related issues.

Smell: I get faint nutty hops. It's thin, I'd prefer it much much stronger on the nose. It smells faintly of coffee (reminiscent of pipeline porter) they probably are using the same hops.

Taste: It taste like potpourri... drinking this beer took me back to a time when I was seven at my grandmother's aunts house. I'm wearing a tight fitting suit of some sort and the entire house has bowls of potpourri.... I'm not a big fan of this beer but I'll keep drinking it to see if I can get anything else. There is coconut in there, it's right at the beginning and at the end. This beer grows on you but... it's still just decent. The best part of this beer might be the slight coconut taste. It reminds me slightly of a beer called coconut porter.

Mouthfeel: Not the nuttiest beer. Its thin and slimy. Meh.

Overall: All together, try it, you might like it. But if you want a brown ale, look elsewhere.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear brown with some red in it. It's much clearer than other brown ales. The head is creamy and inviting, with average retention and a thin lace.

Malty as you'd expect with caramel notes and a sweet, nutty character.

It's got a nuttiness, but the whole taste is watered down. The caramel malts make it taste like watered down cola. Roasty, smokey flavor in the finish.

As mentioned, watery mouthfeel. Just a loose feel that kills everything, though there is a bitterness in the swallow. Lacks depth and body.

Not all that impressive. A bit clear from the pour led to a watery feel that ruined this.

2.86/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a light fizzy 1/2 finger head, that fades semi quickly with touch of lacing, over mostly clear auburn toasty brown colored beer.

Nose has an interesting but weird blend, with toasted coconut right off, coconut butter, a creamy buttery diacetyl, light brown sugar and light brown malts, plenty of nutty malts, caramel, creamy, sweet syrupy fake sugar additions and fake vanilla like.

Taste is more of the same, extract flavorings, fake vanilla, nutty almost hazelnut syrup, and coconut. Coconut butter, toasted coconut but also fake extract again, some sweet syrups, light brown sugar, toasted brown malts, hints of caramel and cocoa butter. Finish is more syrupy malts and fake sweeteners, vanilla, coconut, light brown sugar.

Mouth is med bodied, syrupy, lighter carb.

Overall blech, so artificial tasting, lots of syrups and extract flavors, bad flavorings, sticky sweet and syrupy, no hops, barely drinkable. Seems like something a macro would brew claiming to be micro.

2.86/5  rDev -21.2%

Bottle dated Jan 20 14 at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma very faint toasted malt
Head average (3 cm), off white, creamy, slowly diminishing to
Lacing fair – small arcs and stalactites of tiny bubbles
Body medium brown, chill haze
Flavor slightly malty, slightly sweet; no hops, no coconut, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, soft carbonation

Appearance 3.25, Aroma 3, Flavor 2.75, Palate 2.75, Overall 2.9375. Final weighted score: 2.8625
A very weakly flavored brown ale – the coconut is totally undetectable in this batch. It is, at best, unoffensive.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

Smells about like a typical brown ale. I get yeast and a bit of mild malt, but no coconuts.

Dark ruby appearance, clean and clear.

Not really any coconut on the tongue, either. It just tastes like a brown ale. There is a presence of toasted malts, but thankfully not burned malt. Hops are lightly present, more so in the after taste.

Typical mouthfeel, about like a Newcastle.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

A - Pours a standard light brown, amber color with a pale head.

S A little sweetness and a huge kick of coconut. Given I don't care for coconut I cannot approve of this.

T - A very flavorful brown where coconut just outright dominates all other flavors. If you are one for it, this is outstanding. If not this leaves quite a bit to be had, not horrible for a brown though.

M - Light-medium body with a bit too much carbonation for me. A bit of bitterness on the back end that personally I do not care for.

O - Coconut lovers indulge! Just not for me.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Remarkable color and clarity. Transluscent light brown with a tinge of red. Small white head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind a bit of lacing.

Aroma is weak. Should be fruitier and maltier with more toasted coconut presence. Smells like Sam Adams Irish Red... bready, light caramel, old crystal malt.

Flavor is much better than the aroma. Nice and smooth. Not overbearing with the coconut. Just the mildest notes remain. Easy drinking with a good balance of bitterness. I could drink a few of these at a party. It is rather balanced with not too much sugar and therefore it doesn't give me a headache.

The mouthfeel is thin and lackluster. With better aroma and mouthfeel, this would be a very solid coconut beer.

2.89/5  rDev -20.4%

To play upon a cliché, appearances can be somewhat disappointing. It’s like when one encounters a great looking woman/man but their personality is bland despite their exotic linage or propensity to color their hair. Fun to look at and pleasant to share times with but ultimately unsatisfying. Thus the Koko Brown with its playful spelling and attractive labeling lays fallen by its timid taste and ultimate forgettabilty.

Upon first looks, my excitement rose eyeballing this bourbon brown colored ale with the small tan head to match. Clear and effervescent looking, I was confused as to the almost complete lack of aroma to be had while chilled. I was especially confused do to the nature of the added coconuts to the brewing process, that while present throughout a tasting, are largely minimal to non-existent in aroma. As the beer rose to room temperature, the coconut was more detectable, but a bit too little too late to quote another cliché.

The one true surprise of this Hawaiian brew is its surprising dryness, on par with most chardonnays I’ve had and definitely one of the driest beers I've ever had. Not sure what to account this too expect perhaps an odd uncalculated quality of the coconuts added to the brewing process. In any regards, this plus the moderate alcohol tinge throughout leads me to believe that perhaps an imperial version of this brew with a heavier emphasis on the coconut and heavier tones could be very interesting indeed.

I definitely like the idea of this brew more than Kona Brewing Company’s iteration, and ultimately wouldn't recommend it to a friend, but it sure is pretty from a distance.

Label - 4
I include this with each bottle/can review because I feel that for the average consumer to even approach an unknown beer, it's the packaging that entices rather than the actual end product. Points and half points are given for Style, Readability, Tasting Note, Brewers Notes and Ease of Bottle Reuse.

2.91/5  rDev -19.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Served in a weizen glass.

It's chocolate brown with a tan head that lasts all the way to the bottom.

Very sweet coconutty smell, almost like a candy.

This beer tastes like suntan lotion. The coconut seems artificial and is overpowering. It was more htan I expected and found it to be too much by the time I got to the bottom of my glass.

It's a creamy beer with a nice amount of bubbles.

This was my last beer on my vacation. I was sad to be heading back to Missouri. My wife and I had these at the Kona Grill in the Honolulu airport.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)
A- This beer pours a slightly dense but clear brown body with a thin film of light tan that soon is gone and a gentle carbonation gliding to the surface.

S- The buttery coconut aroma has a syrup quality that grows as it opens. There is a mellow kona coffee brown malt aroma that grows just a bit as it warms.

T- The kona coffee note and buttery coconut is a bit artificial tasting and the soda pop finish has cola and brown malt flavors that are a bit sweet.

M- The light mouthfeel has a tight full soda pop fizz in the finish.

O- I was really looking forward to a good commercial coconut brown ale and this was not it. Lots of artificial flavors and more like a soda pop than a beer made it a bit hard to finish the bottle.

2.94/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Sounds like the name of a bad blaxploitation flick... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear ruby-copper topped by a finger of sandy cream foam. The nose comprises lightly-toasted coconut and very little else, if anything, though a hint of wet grass may or may not find its way through at some points. Despite this not being the strongest of smells in the world, it does get to be a bit much at times. The taste adds in a bit of caramel-y toffee, but this is still mostly drowned out by the coconut. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick-ish feel. Overall, this beer seems to deliver on one of its promises: it certainly has some coconut in it. Beyond that, though, not much else is going on. It's a sad excuse for a brown ale, with nearly none of the characteristics of the style, and its one note song gets to be tiresome after a relatively short while.

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: This beer pours a crystal clear deep garnet color and is topped with a ½” of off white head that leaves faster than it appeared.
Smell I was not expecting a typical brown ale when I got this beer and by the first whiff it doesn’t seem to be. I get coconut and some roasted notes not much else.
Taste: The taste is not something that I am really enjoying it just seems just a bit off. There isn’t much to the flavor as I would expect out of a brown, it is just kind of blah.
Mouthfeel: This appear to pour on the thin side and my palate agrees with the pour rather thin and weak.

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into NB Globe.

This beer pours with a relatively thin off-white head. Translucent, deep brown in color.

Smells include light nuttiness, general syrupy sweetness and maybe a hint of coconut.

Taste is underwhelming; toasted malts, light grains, some sweet coconut essence. Tastes to me like a weak brown ale, nothing really standing out.

Highly carbonated and thin. Not mellow or smooth as one would hope to get from a brown ale.

The thought of coconut in a beer was very enticing but overall pretty disappointing effort. Won't buy again.

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

The appearance of a label can get my attention and this one did. Poured into a glass, it had a short-lived head. The color is brown and appears attractive. I never was into coconut, and the taste is, without a doubt, dominated by coconut. So, I didn't go much farther than a few tastes.

2.99/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bomber into a shaker pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live. Bottled Dec. 20, 2012.

A- Finger and a half thick off-white head. Auburn color body with high clarity. The retention is substantial, about five minutes and leaves thick white lacing. Looks pretty good.

S- Toffee, caramel malts and coconut. Sweet, chocolatey and warm. Not cloying. Pretty fair smelling brew.

T- Chocolate and coconut, like a Mounds bar. Sweet, perhaps too much so.

M- Feels thick on the tongue, but the body is light. It's odd.

O- I rather enjoyed this beer. It's maybe a bit too sweet and has sort of a strange, syrupy feel.

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.