Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

(Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
fisherbray

Brew33

01-22-2013 20:19:45 | More by Brew33
bohemiandonut

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

There's something about coconut that sings out to me, even if it is on the label of an unwarranted bottling by a relatively unknown brewing company. It's the mystery of the fruit, like a hidden jewel of milk and flesh hanging out of reach to those without either ape-like strength or a raging fire of human ingenuity.

I take mine in a glass.

Pours a disappointing absence of a head and... well...

It seems the conventions of beer have been all but burned at the stake in the making of this "brown ale." The coconut flavor is way over the top me. It smells okay, and even the aftertaste ain't bad, but drinking the thing provides the inescapable sensation of a lab-made flavor topped with Sweet 'n Low. Unfortunately reminiscent of the mask disguising your childhood antibiotics, this beer will be a drain pour for many.

As someone who will eat an entire coconut raw in minutes milk included, perhaps I set the standard too high. From what I remember though, Pipeline Porter doesn't bash you over the head with aggrandized "coffee" flavor, which is entirely the problem here. Ease off on the sweetness, let the malts take center stage, and retune the coconut and we'd have a desirable brown ale. As of now, it's a no go. Sorry.

02-27-2011 04:19:17 | More by bohemiandonut
DCav

02-01-2013 04:00:07 | More by DCav
lotr15800

08-22-2012 02:49:51 | More by lotr15800
drinkiusmaximus

2.53/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from the botlle into Sam Adams sensory pint glass.

A: Looks appealing nice saopy looking two fingers width head that sits atop a cherry mahogany colored brew, plenty of bubble scoming up looks nicely carbonated.

S: slightly pedestrian smell with musty graininess forefront with a slight malt sweetness and although the coconut was apparent when first poured it seems to have faded into oblivion by the second sip.

T: Although i had hopes that the coconut would provide this beer with a more tropical feel the coconut in my opinion leans the flavoring towards more of a burnt toast than a tropical beer.

M: Medium bodied and carbonated nicely.

O: The slight coconut taste in the beginning is what made this beer average when it faded after the second to third sip there was nothing that made this standout. I would not pass one down if offered (i guess) but i will certainly not seek out another. Another novelty flavored brew to check off my list and now to avoid..

Prost!!!

04-03-2012 03:14:01 | More by drinkiusmaximus
illidurit

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

I have no idea why I bought a beer called "Koko" from Hawaii and didn’t think that it might have coconut in it. I can’t stand coconut. This beer is significantly coconutty. The base beer is sugary, like dimestore chocolate wafers. If you grew up on those wafers (which came in diabetic vanilla, radioactive pink, and kona brewing company chocolate flavors), you can take a trip down memory lane with this beer. I couldn’t finish half the bottle myself.

02-25-2012 19:52:28 | More by illidurit
Beaver13

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

12oz bottle, dated 2/22/11. Pours a light brown with a medium creamy off-white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet (almost buttery) toasted coconut and lots of it with a little acidic chocolate.

The flavor is sweet brown sugar and coconut with some buttery chocolate and a very slight acidic bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is rather light bodied and watery.

Overall, interesting with lots of coconut but it's too one-dimensional and way too sweet.

09-09-2011 01:55:39 | More by Beaver13
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

I loive the smell of coconut but I'm not a huge fan of the texture for some reason... Its warm here (unusually so) and I'm grilling so I decided to pop this...

Fairly straightforward malt aromas at first... The coconut essence begins to slowly creep through here and there but I think I might have been expecting a bigger kick from it than this is going to give... The merest essence is there but I find myself disappointed its not a bigger component... Sort of makes this fall in the average category...

Sharp metallic overtones right off the bat have me checking my glass for pennies? Crazy but true... I do get some of the roasted malt and every once in a while a little of the featured component but this is like putting a penny in your mouth... Blech...

Nuff said on this... Half a glass and I was finished with this one... Maybe a bad bottle?

02-27-2012 14:10:44 | More by Tilley4
psuKinger

2.65/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle generously given to me by Spanial's Beer because they "appreciate my business". Very cool. Bottle poured into my Kona "Liquid Aloha" pint glass.

A: Pours a light shade of brown, surprisingly translucent, but with a big frothy off-white head on top. Large pancake batter bubbles throughout.

S: Muted notes of biscuits and overly-sweetened malts, with just a touch of coconut underneath. The coconut notes become more distinct as the beer warms.

T: Coconut is by far the most pronounced aspect of this beer. The malts underneath don't remind me of a "classic brown", either. Bready sweetness, almost cloying. No hint of roastiness. No "nutty" character. Just a malt sweetness that reminds me of "scotch ale", and lots and lots of fake, *extracty" coconut flavor.

M: Unremarkable. Rather watery. Low carbonation. Nothing much to discuss on the finish.

D/O: This beer lacks balance. I like coconut, but not like this. It's not horrible, but there's nothing about this that would make me want to revisit it. I could finish it if I wanted to, but I don't need the calories, so down the drain it goes.

04-01-2012 00:08:31 | More by psuKinger
TheCorkStopsHere

Connecticut

2.65/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the Kona Brewing Company's Koko Brown Ale, their coconut-influenced nut brown ale. The Koko Brown pours out a dark brown color, not quite as dark as the picture suggests. The foam on top is a light cream color, that starts fairly thick but fades quickly.

The aromas are subtle, dominated by roasted malts with a just a touch of nutty aromas. With some vigorous swirling in the glass I can pick up a little bit of that coconut I've heard so much about, but really only as an underlying layer.

The flavor profile is equally subtle. It's a soft brown ale, dominated by roasted (nearly burnt) malts with just a small influence of coconut and nut flavors. I let the brew come closer to room temperature to see if I get a little more, but I'm unfortunately disappointed. Actually as the Koko Brown comes up to temperature, it's becoming somewhat less drinkable. Sorry, but I'm not excited about this one.

01-29-2012 15:00:17 | More by TheCorkStopsHere

TheStashRide

10-08-2012 01:46:48 | More by TheStashRide
ESeab

03-23-2013 01:17:08 | More by ESeab
Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.