Join our email list →

Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

American Brown Ale | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 312 | Hads: 1,332
3.51/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have to admit, the Coconut on the label got me.

Koko pours a light walnut brown, forming into a chestnut color in the glass. Head is short but sticks around. Hilly lace which I like.

Aroma is typical of nut browns...roast malt, nuts, with a touch of plant and sod. No coconut so far.

Flavor is pretty good, with notes of coffee, chocolate milk, and coconut. This is mixed in with sod, citrus peels and cacao nibs. There's a dirty bitterness behind it though, which I'm not too fond of. It's okay.

Feel is starchy and carbonated, leaving a semi-dry feel on the end.

Overall Koko is one of the better Brown ales I've had, but it still has that metallic diarrhea smell and the dirty bitterness that browns are known for. Regardless, I had to try it. The coconut is in there, but it's washed away quickly.

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

For what it is, this is a tastey ale. Dark caramel with hints of coconut. A real winter warmer with liquid aloha island freshness. Bottled on DEC 23 2015 from Naples bottle shop.

3.44/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle - Bottled on Dec 30 15:

Pours brown with a thin tan lasting head. Spotted trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of coconut oil, toast (slightly burnt), hint of toffee/chocolate.

The taste is of sweet coconut. A mild brown ale mixes in - toffee, nuts, hint of chocolate. Faint touch of earthy hops keep sweetness restrained. Soft, sweet finish.

A thin brown ale. Not much to the body. It is fairly smooth though.

Aftertaste comes close to reminding me of suntan lotion. Anyway, it's an interesting, unique brew. Coconut certainly noticeable, but not overwhelming. The brown ale itself is decent, at best. One and move on, for me...

2.52/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a Lagunitas largemouth glass.

The first thing I noticed when I poured the beer into the glass was the extremely loud noise coming from the fizzy head. It sounded exactly like a soda pop fizz, and sure enough the head receded as quickly as a soda pop's fizz. The beer is a ruby dark brown in the glass and it does look like a soda. The aroma smelled better out of the bottle before I poured it than it does in the glass. Toasted coconut notes, yes. But it also smells like a cheap coconut cookie you'd find in one of those cookie tins around Christmas time. Cheap. The beer tastes sweet and nutty up front, not without a noticeable coconut flavor. There is a bitter tanginess in the finish. The mouthfeel is thin, watery, and carbonated.

Overall, disappointing and cheap tasting.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

I believe this beer is a touch under rated compared to the BA score..it's on point not perfect but very good..smells like coconut and other typical stout aromas ,touch of coffee touch of chocolate..and the taste is right there along with its specially as it warms up the coconut shines more which is a good thing cuz if you don't Ike coconut you shouldn't buy this beer...a better mouthfeel would take this beer to next level..as it is a B+ in my book

4.46/5  rDev +23.2%

I really like the toasted cocunut flavor in this ale amd could use more of it. I tasted the coconut most when the ale was really cold. Mahogany colored and has a nutty aroma and flavor.

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Sweet brown ale with hints of chocolate. Clear dark brown body with small beige head, aroma of chocolate, molasses and a hint of coffee. Taste is sweet, more chocolaty as it warms up. A little on the sweet side, but not too bad.

3.37/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hearty look for a brown ale, ventures into porter territory. Almost an inch of head, tan in color. Aroma was brown malt, coconut stayed obscure. A little bit of chocolate.

Taste, mild sweetness, smooth, lacks bitterness. Still wanting in the coconut department. Could use more adjuncts. How about that?

3.33/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Taste: toasted coconut sweet malt, roasted coffee, brown sugar. Deep mahogany color and mostly clear. Sweet nose. Medium body with a delicate laced head. A dessert ale

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottle: Poured a clear brown color ale with a medium size light brown foamy head with some retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet coconut is totally dominant. Taste is also dominated by loads of sweet coconut taste with light caramel malt also noticeable. Body is light with good carbonation. Interesting but overly sweet and the coconut is so powerful that it gets to be overwhelming.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

One of my favorites, but I always thought it was mis-marketed as a winter seasonal. Now you can't even get it at all outside of Hawaii. While I normally like my Browns a little heavier, I don't mind having a lighter option once in a while, and always thought this would be a great candidate to fill the niche for lighter, hot weather brown with a tropical flair for the summer time.

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

May just not be my kind of beer, but I consider Browns to be one of my favorite beers. I'm looking for the beer to be good as a Brown first and then to be enhanced by the added flavors and variations. They focused on being different and missed on the Brown basics.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Quite clear reddish-amber with a large fine-beaded, cream-colored head with very good retention. Thick, unbroken lacing adorns the glass walls. The carbonation is slight, fine-beaded, and slow-rising

Aroma: Pronounced aroma of bitter cocoa, coconut, roasted nuts, and coffee.

Taste: Opens with a pronounced coconut flavor, beneath this, there is bitter cocoa, coffee, toasted malt, nuts, a hint of vanilla, and wood. The flavor is surprisingly complex. Late in the taste, the toasted coconut still shines, with the coffee, and roasted malt flavors remaining.

Mouth feel: Full and soft, with slight carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Very solid and drinkable, well-made.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Off white head that lingers. Appears reddish brown. Aroma is light but very pleasant of toasted coconut. Taste of vanilla and light toasted coconut with light body. Caramel notes emerge as it warms. Fantastic concept but I wish there was more body or sweetness to enhance the coconut flavor.

2.86/5  rDev -21%

Bottle dated Jan 20 14 at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma very faint toasted malt
Head average (3 cm), off white, creamy, slowly diminishing to
Lacing fair – small arcs and stalactites of tiny bubbles
Body medium brown, chill haze
Flavor slightly malty, slightly sweet; no hops, no coconut, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, soft carbonation

Appearance 3.25, Aroma 3, Flavor 2.75, Palate 2.75, Overall 2.9375. Final weighted score: 2.8625
A very weakly flavored brown ale – the coconut is totally undetectable in this batch. It is, at best, unoffensive.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Tulip pour and I am met with an amber colored ale with nice burgundy highlights. Beige head that dissipates too quickly. Ring around the glass.

Aroma is chocolate with nice coconut whiffs. Semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa round it out. Also getting some good vanilla whiffs.

Taste is like the smell. Chocolate and coconut. They did a great job incorporating the coconut and highlighting it in this brew.

Much too thin in the mouthfeel. Watery.

Overall I was happily surprised by this. I am not a huge Kona fan, but this completely made me turn back for another go around. Well done beer.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Two things I really loved about this beer. The price and the taste. The price was right since this is a big brewer and supply is ample. Not a lot of other beers I would take to a party for this price and feel like I'm taking this quality. The taste is exactly what it's advertised to be. Nutty brown ale with a bunch of coconut in there. I love it when a beer gives you exactly what you're expecting. Not saying I don't enjoy a complex brew but when drinking in the yard with friends you don't need to go crazy on in depth flavors and explanations. If you're a fan of brown ales and coconut separately, than combine them and enjoy a tasty beverage.

4.91/5  rDev +35.6%

This beer, on tap, is my favorite beer to drink by far, as far as drink ability goes. Malty, smooth, easy as hell to drink. And the coconut is powerful enough to be noticed, but not overpowering. Touch of bitterness at the end of the drink. Just a damn good beer. In the bottle it's coconut is not as noticeable, but still damn good.
Just drink it

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Picked this one up as part of a mixed 6 at Ye Ole. Outstanding looking beer with a very interesting smell. Not the normal brown smell, very interesting. Same with the taste, you definitely notice the coconut which adds some uniqueness to the flavor that I really like. Very smooth and easy to drink. I enjoyed this beer very much and would certainly be wiling to buy in the future.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice 2 finger cream colored head that leaves a decent lacing in a 16oz pub glass.

Smell is really nice. Malts, as you would expect of a beer so dark. I can barely make out the roasted coconut that the bottle seems to be so proud of.

Taste is of malts with that slight taste of coconut right at the end. Second taste really gets that coconut taste.

Mouthfeel is alright. Nothing exciting and not much carbonation.

Overall a great beer in my opinion. I really like the maltiness of this beer and the coconut taste is wonderful. I would like more of the coconut taste to come out but still, this is a great tasting beer.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottling date of JAN1014 on bottle.

Cola brown body with a fizzy, ultimately thin head; rapid carbonation. Big sweet and nutty aroma; toffee and caramel with a tad bit of coconut. Deep roasted grain flavors right off and then it switches over to a bitter and slightly phenolic finish. Medium-light body; semi-dry finish.

A brown ale that looks good on paper but pretty much fails to live up to the hype. The malt and hop marriage doesn't quite gel and seems to have a slightly off-flavor in the aftertaste. The body feel lacks depth and feels watered down. Sure, you get some deep roasted grain flavors with some chocolate and cocoa notes, and there is a noticeable (though not overbearing) coconut element to the flavors, but things just don't seem to mesh well. Not bad but hardly a strong representative of a good brown ale.

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

- brewed with toasted coconut.

A: Orange-ish-ice tea coloring with a billowy, frothy, one inch soft beige head that was resilient. Good rush of carbonation along the vessel's walls with a thick, foam lace band.

S: Nutty caramel aroma with coconut and a malt sweetness turning late to a dry walnut shell finish.

T: Flavor was toasted coconut and toasted caramel. Some light key-lime, nuttiness, dry walnuts, malty notes with cola and granola. Toasty oak with some wet citrus.

M: Good carbonation on the mouthful, creamy maltiness with a spicy dry nuttiness off the tongue.

O: Overall a nice addition of toasted coconut with a sweet malt body makes this a drinkable brown ale that was well balanced and worthy of multiples.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - A nice brown color, with a decent head.

Smell - a sweet tropical and coconut.; with malty smell as well.

Taste - It is a bitter malty flavor, with a strong coconut flavor.

Mouthfeel - It is a bit light, good carbonation.

Overall - Pretty good, even though I don't like coconut.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear chestnut brown, good carbonation, eggshell white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Fresh coconut and caramel. Simple but good balance.

T: Lots of coconut, both fresh and toasted, caramel, a touch of nuttiness. The coconut might be a little overpowering, but it all works well to create a warm porter with a delicious twist. Finish is short.

M: A little watery, which isn't consistent for the style but makes the drinkability extreme.

O: They could have gone overboard with the coconut, and luckily they only did a little. It's definitely the predominant note, but it's fresh and real, and rounded with some classic malty porter notes. I'm bringing some next time I go to the beach.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep brown in color. Really small head - less than one finger - that dissipated a little too quickly. Almost no lacing. Kind of disappointing, really.

S: Toasty nut aroma. You can easily pick up hints of coconut. I wasn't getting coconut per say, but my friends I was drinking with were raving about the strong coconut scent. Maybe I just don't know what coconut tastes like, but I wasn't getting much coconut.

T: Hmm. Trying to figure this one out. Again, I get a roasted nut flavor, but not necessarily coconut. You get a huge malt profile. Not necessarily complex. Very rich, robust toffee flavor, but that's really the overpowering flavor in this brew, to me anyways. Not very bitter at all, but at 28 IBUs I wouldn't expect that. Completely different from the beers I'm used to drinking.

M: Very crisp on the mouth. Not too dry. Most of the time when I think of browns or darker, heavier beers, I get the feeling of the beer blanketing my tongue. Not the case here. Pretty smooth and easy drinking. Starts to coat the back of the mouth, but for most of the drink it goes right down.

Overall: Maybe it's because I'm still not the biggest brown ale fan, but this beer just wasn't my jam. I wouldn't say this is a bad beer, but it's not necessarily one I enjoy. Very very malty. I'm really trying to expand my beer repertoire and want to start drinking things other than APAs and IPAs and start appreciating browns, stouts, and porters. This wasn't too daunting to me. I honestly think I just have to get used to not being assaulted by hops with each drop. I don't think that would really change my opinion of the beer, though. I don't want to say it's a bad beer, because it's not. This is one of the few browns/darker I've been able to finish. I just don't think I'm fully able to appreciate this beer yet. Hopefully one day I'll be able to really appreciate browns and darker.

Poured this into my snifter because my pint glass was no where to be found :(

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.