Join our email list →

Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

American Brown Ale | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 309 | Hads: 1,323
3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into a glass, this beer has a beautiful red glow. The coconut is obvious on the nose, dominates the aroma, however it is much harder to actually taste. As far as ales go, there is not much that sets this one apart. That being said, this is still a very drinkable drink that grows on you.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice caramel brown color, thick head that leaves nice traces on the top as well as the glass. Its a bitey brown and what got me to try this in the first place did not disappoint, that's the toasted coconut. The subtile aftertaste of the coconut is amazing as well as the other flavors that pop up, such as macadamia and almond. I can only dream and assume how well this beer will go with some pineapple and glazed ham! Aloha!!!

I Have tried EVERY American brown ale and specialty brown ales available in my area and even the Rouge hazelnut or Dogfish heads brown ale does not touch this one IN MY OPINION! It just smells amazing and tastes so good in summer or winter. I buy cases of it when it comes out and never want to drink the last ones. :) would love to try on tap.

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 12/5/2013. Pours crystal clear ruby brown color with a 2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big caramel, chocolate, coconut, toffee, toast, brown bread, brown sugar, vanilla, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, and toasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt and coconut notes; with good strength. Taste of big caramel, chocolate, coconut, toffee, toast, brown bread, brown sugar, vanilla, light nuttiness, herbal, floral, and toasted earthiness. Light earthy herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, chocolate, coconut, toffee, toast, brown bread, brown sugar, vanilla, herbal, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of dark/bready malt, coconut, and light earthy hop flavors; with nice robustness and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a moderately creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice brown ale! All around good balance, complexity, and robustness of dark/bready malt and coconut flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Koko Brown
12 oz brown bottle
Jan 23 14 printed on the side label
Served in an 8 oz. hotel glass

Pours a deep brown with a ruby highlights and a decent head on top.

Whiffs of chocolate and roasted malts.

A sugary sweetness with a milk chocolate flavor on the first sip. Easy to drink, but a tad thin on the mouthfeel. The second sip uncovers a nice toasted coconut twist, but something about this brown ale is lacking. Don't get me wrong, I can make it work. I just want more body and less weird sugar flavors in my beer. There is a mini hop snap on the finish.

Drinkable, but unlikely something I will revisit in Hawaii.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ox bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger off white head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is an amber copper color with good clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Sweet coconut, bready malts, caramel, and some nuttiness.

Taste: Sweet and nutty notes from the coconut, bready malts, some caramel, and a little chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, a little chewy, medium to high carbonation, and a bit smooth too. Feels a little dry.

Overall: A nice brown ale. The coconut brings this up a few notches and add a good flavor to the beer.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

(best by Jan 20 2014 - it was about a month past that at time of consumption, yet had been chilled for months prior)

A: perfectly clear, tawny in color.... pearl-white sudsy foam, open-structured, medium bubbles, holds a cap.... love the bottle label design - reminds me a bit of some of Uinta's designs

S: beers like this (those with fancy, exotic or nontraditional ingredients) really aren't my thing, but this beer smells (relatively) damn fantastic.... a display of toasted aromas: coconut, hazelnut, amber malt(?)... the coconut doesn't smell artificial or like suntan oil, its inviting scent does fade noticeably after a few sips while, curiously, becoming more apparent in the taste...

T: the taste is good - doesn't quite live up to the promise of its scent.... bold toasted nut and grain flavors, kissed by coconut oil.... fair amount of hop bitterness and a mild, late hint of milk chocolate.... thankfully not sweet - they could've easily erred in that direction.... sure does have a nutty brown ale foundation, med-dark grains.... long-lasting toasty dry and bitter

M: not oily at all, only marginally smooth... probably could have a bit more body... actually, this is pretty darn dry with a bit of a bite.... it seems to approach medium-bodied, however, the dryness and carbonation (I do sense a club-soda like carbonic acid feel and taste) taper that off enough

O: a well-made, quaffable brew.... depth in flavor and body is unfortunately held back.... the one time I've had this on tap the flavors were more bold and the feel smooth and more fulfilling, so I suppose the carbonation in this particular bottle hurt it...

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled December 5th. Poured into a shaker pint. I enjoyed Big Wave a decent bit and thought I'd try another beer from Kona. $2 single.

Appearance: A completely filtered mahogany/ruby-black kind of color. Not much head on it, but a nice wall of lacing through most of the drink. Unfortunately, this is the best part about this brew.

Smell: Well, it smells like a coconut brown, but something about it seems slightly off? Artificial almost? It smells waxy or something along those lines. I've noticed some people say it smells nutty, and maybe it does, but it's still distinctively coconut at the same time. Pretty nice. Not bad. Intriguing. Just something a bit "off" about it.

Taste/feel: First thing I notice is the feel... super watery with a fairly mild carbonation. Very, very thin. The flavor is like the aroma with quite a lot of coconut. People say it's more in the background, but I pick up plenty of it. Slight roast from the malt, but it doesn't give off a particular sort of flavor. No coffee or chocolate, it just tastes like a roasted malt -- faintly. Not bitter nor sweet. Easy drinking to be sure.

Overall, Koko Brown is an average-at-best brown ale. If you like coconut, this would be a nice choice... especially on a very hot day, as it isn't at all heavy, and it would be easy to have a few. I'm not sure I'd buy it again, but I certainly wouldn't say no to a bottle or a pint. 3.5/5 overall just because I could see this being a solid choice on a hot summer day.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: medium brown, virtually no head, a few white bubbles along the glass

S: bready malts, nuty, coconut

T: general nuty taste, mild toasted coconut, malty

M: medium, a little dry and bitter

Overall a good beer but nothing special. Wish the coconut stood out a little more and had more sweetness, seems more of a general roasted nut taste to me.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this a three different times and each one was different, don't know if that speaks to my taste at the time or just the brew.
Dark tea in color.
Not a lot going on with the nose, slight hops, roasted malts, but nothing strong.
Nice khaki colored head, when swirled leaves an oil like cohesion to the side of the glass that slowly lets go.Good.
Taste- at its best, the toasted coconut shines through, sometimes dryer than I expected and never in a Mounds bar sweet kind of way. If you like coconut, this is a great beer for you, dark enough so that the coconut doesn't seem out of place, just right to let the toasted coconut star, but as part of the team.
A rare specialty beer that works. Brown drinkers, coconut fans, and someone looking for a dark that doesn't have the same old profile will find something to enjoy here.

3.89/5  rDev +7.5%

I don't get the low reviews on this one, I see it different

A. Dark amber, one finger kakhi color head

S. Bitter hop, coffee, sweet

T. Coconut, coffee, sweet brown sugar

M. Medium body, nice carbonation, clean finish, roasted aftertaste

O. Great beer, I'm a fan

3.51/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear chestnut color. The head is a little over a finger high, and off-white in shade. Its texture is somewhat soapy, ergo it doesn't really leave a huge amount of lacing on the glass. Retention is pretty good.

S: It brings a decent amount of toasted coconut at first. After a while, though, the nose becomes somewhat chocolaty, and even fruity at times. And after even more time, the coconut really comes out. I'll give this nose credit - it's interested me, and brown ales don't interest me.

T: Coconut notes are more subtle here than in the nose, but they're definitely here. Apart from that, it starts with a decent brown sugar and milk chocolate flavors, with something suggesting herbal hops in the finish. The hop levels are perfect here - they help to dry out the sweetness some, yet don't even come close to wrecking the balance. It's one of those rare beers that grows on me the more I drink it.

M: I'm really enjoying the soft dryness of this. Though it's a bit on the thin side, it's not really a chugger - some residual sugar does linger on the finish. Frankly, I kind of don't want to chug this.

O: This is a pleasant surprise. So many 'Murican brown ales go the 'balanced' route, yet aren't really that delicate or sophisticated to compensate for its less exciting flavor profile. But this is. Brown ale is a hit-or-miss style with me - this isn't an emphatic hit, but damnit it's a hit nonetheless.

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz mug.

Appearance: Dark brown color with amber hues and a substantial, fizzy off-white head that dissipates somewhat quickly and leaves behind spotty lace.

Smell: Without going into each flavor in-depth, the smell of this reminds me of Almond Joy.

Taste: Begins with a toasty flavor which rounds out to sweet malt and coconut. Finish maintains the coconut flavor alongside nuttiness and a touch of chocolate. The Almond Joy of beers!

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium body with subtle carbonation. Finish dries out.

Overall: An interesting beer, to say the least. Not too bad, but also far from great or inspiring. Something is missing here.

3.91/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really, really want to like these Kona Beers, but something just keeps holding me back. Of all the Kona's I have had, this one is by far the best. The Koko Brown has a rich brown color with a frothy head that has staying power. The scent and taste is definitely strong in the roasted area and distant with regards to coconut - almost a good blend. The mouthfeel is bold and thick, complementing the full ale flavor. However, overall, I had to be honest with myself and grade them almost outstanding - close, but just no cigar.

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a stubby 12 ounce bottle into an oversized pilsener glass. A fairly aggressive pour produces about a 3/4 inch creamy, off-white head which proves long lasting. Plenty of sticky lace is left on the sides, with a continuous coating of froth on top. The beer is a deep ruddy brown. A rich looking and inviting beer.

I don't get a ton of coconut flavor in either the aroma or the flavor. I've had this before- on the prior tasting, the coconut was quite noticeable. They may have toned this down a notch. Anyway, the beer does have some coconut aroma, along with sweet, roasted malt, chocolate, caramel and chocolate flavors, with a bit of bittersweet nuttiness on the palate. All of the flavors, which increasingly remind me of a Mounds candy bar, become a bit more noticeable as the beer warms.

This is pretty much what I like in a brown ale- relatively sweet, but with some nutty bitterness to balance, with just a little complexity, but overall rather simple. I seldom see this where I live, although the other flavors of Kona are generally available. I picked this up in a Three Bears Alaska store for about $7.50 a sixer (cheap).

Amber color, no head. Has a sweet vanilla and coconut aroma and flavor. Body is a bit on the sickly sweet side, but the carbonation cuts that away in the finish. Has a creamy, medium-body feel. I’m glad I tried it, but I don’t think I’d go out of my way to get another.

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers. Beautiful mahogany color, nice aroma, velvety mouth feel and a finish that leaves me ready for another one. The coconut flavors really come out after warming up a bit. Overall, a really great balance between hops and malts and a unique and tasty combination of flavors.

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle poured in a pint glass. Smell is pleasant enough a little malty sweetness and some toasted notes, no discernable coconut however. Mouthfeel comes up short very thin feeling, makes me go back for another sip but has me looking for something more. Taste is nice, sweet malt is back again along with the toast, after really trying I get the coconut but it doesnt stand out at all. A decent brown ale but nothing special and if I didnt say coconut I probably would never have known.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Deep mahogany brown in color. A quarter inch of of white foam rests on top. Brussels lacing. The aroma is of coconut and caramelized malt. There's definitely a sweetness that dominates. The mouth is a bit carbonated and warm. There's bit of a cloying aspect between the caramelized malt and the intense sweetness from the coconut. The taste is an intense dark maltiness that is quickly overwhelmed by the sweet coconut.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Brown. 1 1/2 head that fades and some lacing is evident.

S: coconut and cocoa

T: Was unsure if the coconut would come through on this but it really does. It dominates the flavor with some light chocolate in the background. A little one dimensional.

M: Fairly light bodied with a sweet finish

O: Tough to rate. As a brown ale, its not too good. But Kona went for a gimmicky beer and succeeded. If you like coconut, get it. If you want a well crafted complex brown ale, avoid it.

Points for nice coconut flavor.

3.14/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I really wanted to like this beer. The look was just the way I like: dark with a amber hue. The aroma wonderful dark, rich, with a hint of coconut. The beer poured well with a full 1" head in the craft pub glass I used. While I let it breath, I drank the last sip from the bottle. It was wonderful. Dark and malty with a believable hint of dark chocolate and the whiff of toasted coconut.

A few moments latter I sniffed the glass and swiftly took my first full sip. Wham. I was hit by the coconut. The more I drank the more the coconut overpowered. It was so good out of the bottle, I really wanted to like the glass. I couldn't finish. Maybe I'll give it another try but keep it in the bottle. Possibly I'm overwhelmed by the coconut aroma and I liked the first sip out of the bottle because my nose wasn't in the glass.

3.96/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle -> Craft Beer Glass

A: Rich dark brown with a nice red hue, 3/4" creamy tan head that hangs for a while, thick web lacing.
S: Bittersweet cocoa powder, roasted coffee, vanilla.
T: There's the coconut..., dark chocolate, toasty malts, creamed coffee, nice subtle bitter finish.
M: Medium-bodied, higher CO2 which adds to the creaminess, nice rich coating effect.
O: Tasty brew. I love coconut in brews - it adds a smoothness and cuts the bitterness in dark ales and leaves you with a creaminess & great drinkability. Not overdone, but well done.

4.11/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Overall, a pleasantly balanced beer. I was afraid that the coconut flavor would either be non-existent or over powering. It was neither. You get a pleasant hint of coconut that blends nicely with the overall nuttiness of the beer. It's especially nice to drink during the winter, dreaming of warmer, tropical days.

4.98/5  rDev +37.6%

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a medium mahogany brown with a thin light tan head that dissipates to patchy foam and a ring around the glass. Aroma of coconut, caramel malt, slightly nutty. Flavor is biscuit malt, sweet coconut, nuts with a light grassy hop finish. Light to medium bodied. A light bodied brown ale with a well balanced, but assertive coconut flavor which has a slightly artificial taste. A pleasant, fun to drink ale that definitely leaves a tropical feeling.

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.